If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited February 2014 in Latest Updates
For the small handful of people who actually cared what happened after the end of Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lightning Returns is here to answer all your questions. But it might not be worth the bother.

Read the review here
Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    A few things mentioned I feel need to be pointed out and discussed. Forgive me for this in advance btw, I don't mean to start a massive argument, just some things I felt are up for discussion or are wrong.

Hope has called Lightning "Light" on occasion since she first asked him to in the first game, that is nothing new nor nothing they're trying to force in your head, it's something he has done before. In the Japanese version he has called her "Light-san" since that same event in 13.

Time limits aren't necessarily a bad thing at all, and the game is pretty generous with failure considering that running out of time just gives you a game over with the option for a new game plus. Though I do agree they should probably have given more of a heads-up on how much time each thing would take on average, like how Valkyrie Profile did it.

I have a feeling the EP was put there and hard to recharge as an incentive to get better at the game, and help develop your skills so you wouldn't have to rely on it all the time (sorta how TP was in FF13).

As for the balancing, that's a fine line that depends on what the creators were thinking, and can be subjective, depending on one's skills. There were more than a few bosses and areas in FF13 that felt like massive difficulty spikes after easy enemy fights and bosses, examples including
    Spoiler:
    Odin, the section of the Palamecia right before Barthandelous, most of Gran Pulse you had to trek through
    , that felt annoying and unnecessarily difficult to some, and just the right amount of difficulty to others. My first time through FF13 those examples annoyed me to no end and drove me insane, me feeling they were too hard. Second time through the game, I thought they were just difficult enough.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • My_Lost_WingMy_Lost_Wing Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I can see some of the arguments presented in the review, but I'm finding the game to be quite fun for those reasons. Maybe I'm just crazy.
    Currently Playing:

Soul Historia
    Fortuna Magus
    Final Fantasy Dimensions
    Dragon Age Inquisition

https://www.amazon.com/author/gilbertfranco
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I am soo glad that I decided to skip this one, just like I skipped 13-2. They will have to make significant improvements to get me anywhere near 15. But sadly I doubt they will get this fan back into the ff franchise ever again.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I can see some of the arguments presented in the review, but I'm finding the game to be quite fun for those reasons. Maybe I'm just crazy.

You're not crazy. There's been times when something drove Adriaan crazy I loved about a game too.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Paws wrote: »
    You're not crazy. There's been times when something drove Adriaan crazy I loved about a game too.

I must be stupid tired because I totally just thought you called Adriaan "Aladdin" and then I was disappointed to find out how wrong I was. LACK OF SLEEP WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME NOT READ SO GOOD.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    hahahah. Naaaa. Reviews are subjective and full of opinions! If a game is fun for you, it's fun for you. I have a spread sheet with all my games, and I have scores on each game from RPGamer and Gamerankings... but once I play and give a game a score, that's the final score for me :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    All things considered, Adriaan (or "Aladdin" in Nyx's case) was pretty kind to this game. More kind than I would have been. At least we can all be thankful that the 'Lightning Saga' has come to a close.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
    edited February 2014
    InstaTrent wrote: »
    All things considered, Adriaan (or "Aladdin" in Nyx's case) was pretty kind to this game. More kind than I would have been. At least we can all be thankful that the 'Lightning Saga' has come to a close.
    Hopefully this leads to how FF used to be...the cycle of developers. You know, how it was Sakaguchi, Nomura, and Ito each doing a different numbered game in the main series.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Hopefully this leads to how FF used to be...the cycle of developers. You know, how it was Sakaguchi, Nomura, and Ito each doing a different numbered game in the main series.

*crosses fingers for Final Fantasy XVI to be directed by Ito*
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
    edited February 2014
    *crosses fingers for Final Fantasy XVI to be directed by Ito*
    This is the main reason why I have hopes for FF15, simply BECAUSE Toriyama is nowhere near it. If it turns out to be spectacular, it'll just add more proof that SE needs to go back to the whole "switch out who is doing each game" routine. God knows I have no doubt that 13-2 would have been beyond better if somebody else was helming the game's story.
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Hmm. Didn't read the review to avoid any potential (even tangential) spoilers, but....

I've just started playing, and my initial reaction is: You give us twisty, decent-sized maps to explore with lots of hidden corners; sidequests hidden in those various hidden corners (and that may have requirements & times before they appear), reasons to want to grind for loot (upgrading skills).... and then put a "Game Over" time limit on it, so I feel like I can't do any of that? /sigh

(doesn't help having quests with vague/etc goals.... I think I wasted half of the 2nd day before I even got the first number in the "find the code" quest. At which point I whipped out Google. I hate going to guides on a first playthrough, but the mounting frustration over the vast amount of time I'd blown was making "play game" not be an enjoyable pastime.)
    edited February 2014
    Kiralyn, if you get a game over due to time running out, they give you the NG+ option, restarting the game with everything you collected up until then, including the stat boosts. In other words, think Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's game over type system, you can restart the game more powerful than before and gun your way up to your previous position that much easier.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    After playing the demo I had a feeling I wouldn't enjoy this game, and the review just cements that. I was extremely disappointed by 13-2 and see no reason to think this would fix anything. I have no intention of picking up a PS4 any time soon since I was burned by the surprising lack of enjoyable games for the PS3... I just might be buying a Nintendo console for the first time since 1993. Once I get through all my 3DS games, that is.
    edited February 2014
    Kiralyn, if you get a game over due to time running out, they give you the NG+ option, restarting the game with everything you collected up until then, including the stat boosts. In other words, think Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's game over type system, you can restart the game more powerful than before and gun your way up to your previous position that much easier.

Yeah, but it still feels that way emotionally - "OMG, I can't explore! Must keep running! Crap, where's the next quest goal?!?! AAAAAAAA!" I've always been a take-your-time-and-explore type player. :D (And yeah, I played Dragon Quarter. It's been a long time so my memory is hazy, but I don't recall feeling quite as rushed. It showed up there more in the "do I dare use Dragon mode on this fight" type decisions....)

...I'm kind of getting that "Have to do everything on perfect schedule! No time wasted!" feeling that I got from Persona 3. (Another game that I ended up not enjoying, because of the strict limited timetable. A sense of having little freedom.) Ah, well. We'll see how it goes. :)

Oh, and for what it's worth, I enjoyed XIII more than XIII-2.
  • ascii256ascii256 Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    XIII-2 was pretty good until the last 5 minutes of the game. It's looking more and more like LR might be salt on a wound.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I haven't played the game, but when I saw and heard Lumina, I wanted to cut my ears off and rip my eyes out.
    edited February 2014
    Kiralyn wrote: »
    Yeah, but it still feels that way emotionally - "OMG, I can't explore! Must keep running! Crap, where's the next quest goal?!?! AAAAAAAA!" I've always been a take-your-time-and-explore type player. :D (And yeah, I played Dragon Quarter. It's been a long time so my memory is hazy, but I don't recall feeling quite as rushed. It showed up there more in the "do I dare use Dragon mode on this fight" type decisions....)

...I'm kind of getting that "Have to do everything on perfect schedule! No time wasted!" feeling that I got from Persona 3. (Another game that I ended up not enjoying, because of the strict limited timetable. A sense of having little freedom.) Ah, well. We'll see how it goes. :)

Oh, and for what it's worth, I enjoyed XIII more than XIII-2.
    I'm the same way, FF13 was far more enjoyable than 13-2 to me. Also, from what I read, it's possible to have all of the main story missions and 30 of the side quests done by the 6th day, if you abuse Chronostasis.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Nim wrote: »
    I haven't played the game, but when I saw and heard Lumina, I wanted to cut my ears off and rip my eyes out.

What? I loved Lumina. She taunts the crap out of Lightning and I am totally okay with that.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • SandySandy Final Fanatic Full Members
    edited February 2014
    At least we can all be thankful that the 'Lightning Saga' has come to a close.

... At least until "Lightning Strikes Again: Final Fantasy XIII-4" hits the stores. :P
    edited February 2014
    Sandy wrote: »
    ... At least until "Lightning Strikes Again: Final Fantasy XIII-4" hits the stores. :P

Well, on the plus side, PS3 games are shiny enough that there's little reason for HD remakes. :D
  • My_Lost_WingMy_Lost_Wing Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    jcservant wrote: »
    hahahah. Naaaa. Reviews are subjective and full of opinions! If a game is fun for you, it's fun for you. I have a spread sheet with all my games, and I have scores on each game from RPGamer and Gamerankings... but once I play and give a game a score, that's the final score for me :)

Lol. I should probably create a spreadsheet of all my games, especially the obscure ones. I totally agree that games are subjective and full of opinions. For example, one of my favorite rpg's is Ephemeral Fantasia, but whenever I talk about it all I get is O_o. Btw, I currently playing Lennus 2 (I really loved Paladin's Quest when I was a kid) and am really enjoying it. You can find it really cheap on ebay and I totally recommend it.
    Currently Playing:

Soul Historia
    Fortuna Magus
    Final Fantasy Dimensions
    Dragon Age Inquisition

https://www.amazon.com/author/gilbertfranco
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Lol. I should probably create a spreadsheet of all my games, especially the obscure ones. I totally agree that games are subjective and full of opinions. For example, one of my favorite rpg's is Ephemeral Fantasia, but whenever I talk about it all I get is O_o. Btw, I currently playing Lennus 2 (I really loved Paladin's Quest when I was a kid) and am really enjoying it. You can find it really cheap on ebay and I totally recommend it.
    You know, I can get on board with liking Paladin's Quest, but liking Ephemeral Fantasia really is a O_o moment for me. I mean, I wouldn't mind giving that game another try just to remind myself how much I didn't like it, but still... That game's world layout and scenario design is an affront to all that is good and decent in gaming. I have never seen a game that so actively desired its player to get lost, frustrated, and confused. I think I listed it as the worst RPG I ever played when applying to work here at RPGamer, actually.

Which is just evidence for your point that gaming is so subjective. If they weren't, RPG fans wouldn't have spilled quite so much blood as they have in the long debates about which Final Fantasy game is the best. ;)
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Kiralyn wrote: »
    Well, on the plus side, PS3 games are shiny enough that there's little reason for HD remakes. :D

Don't worry, Square Enix will be putting out a 4D remake of the Lightning Saga in 2029.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • hyperknees91hyperknees91 Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Someone needs to explain to me about this whole liking ephermal phantasia business. I spent my time playing trying to figure out how to get the camera to stop spinning around constantly in battle (it gave me a headache).

But truly I am curious on the thoughts of those who like the game.
  • SandySandy Final Fanatic Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Ocelot wrote: »
    Don't worry, Square Enix will be putting out a 4D remake of the Lightning Saga in 2029.

4D? You mean that you could actually move through time with Serah and Noel yourself? Maybe go back in time and tell S-E that they will really botch up the entire series... :P
  • AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Y'know, I can't help but think if I wanted to play a GOOD version of this game's story I'd just replay Valkyrie Profile. The whole trilogy has been one, giant, misguided mess and SE's repeated attempts to cram this little sub-series and Lightning down people's throats has been more than a little annoying. It'll go down as a conflicted era in the franchise at best
    edited February 2014
    Sandy wrote: »
    4D? You mean that you could actually move through time with Serah and Noel yourself? Maybe go back in time and tell S-E that they will really botch up the entire series... :P

Sure, but those 500 years spent as a crystal after XIII are really going to drag.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Aiddon wrote: »
    Y'know, I can't help but think if I wanted to play a GOOD version of this game's story I'd just replay Valkyrie Profile. The whole trilogy has been one, giant, misguided mess and SE's repeated attempts to cram this little sub-series and Lightning down people's throats has been more than a little annoying. It'll go down as a conflicted era in the franchise at best

For sure, but at least the staff working on the games managed to try some new things. I genuinely like XIII despite its issues, XIII-2 has some amazing music (and uses it very well though) though I'm not a huge fan of the actually game, and XIII-3's battle system is a lot of fun. So much about the trio of games could have been so much better, but at least they have some interesting bits.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited February 2014
    I'm not sure Square Enix originally intended to cram Lightning down people's throats. They replaced her with Serah as the main character in XIII-2 after all, and a bunch of people (including me!) said, "Ick, she's really boring and we'd rather have Lightning." So they gave us Lightning in XIII-3 and all the people who don't like Lightning started griping about how Square looooves her and wants to force us to love her too. This is why it's a bad idea to listen too closely to "the fans." :)