If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

A Year of One Hit Wonders - May - Rogue Galaxy

redwing42redwing42 Just MonikaFull Members
edited May 2014 in Role Playing Games
This month, we'll take a look at the broadest spanning game of the year: Rogue Galaxy. Produced by Level-5 and originally released in 2005, Rogue Galaxy follows the tale of a young man named Jaster Rogue (see what they did there?) as he is invited to become a space pirate and his adventures thereon. Instead of travelling to the different countries on a continent or planet like in many JRPGs, you can freely travel between worlds... which ends up being very similar, in all honesty. Combat is real time with no separate battle screen, ala FFXII among others. There is crafting, weapon synthesis, and a mostly optional side game. I'm a fan of Level-5's other work (they have been doing some really good stuff for the Nintendo e-shop lately) so I'm looking forward to getting into this one. Enjoy!

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2014
    Started this up and made it all the way to the beginning of Jiraika. Maxed out the battle record for Rosa's beginning areas, and I've hit level 11 for everybody. The way you can control everybody and the AI makes me wish Kingdom Hearts was like this, it's far more interesting for your AI companions to ASK before using a skill other than just spamming it, though you yourself can have them do it before they even ask. While combat is far more simplistic than Kingdom Hearts, it feels, I'm not sure if I'm getting out the feeling right, more fluid to me.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I can't seem to find a copy of this game that works. I've had a few now but they're always dead out of the box.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I would love to join in on this month but between lack of time to fit in a 40 hour game this month and not wanting to be bothered with that ONE dungeon that takes like 2-3 hours to get through (and is unbelievably LONGER in the original Jap version... seriously if someone has a jpg of the map comparison you should show it) I'm going to have to pass. This really was a fun game with a beautiful art style and an awesome voice cast though. I remember thinking it was really easy for the first few hours and then all of a sudden I was having to heal every 5-10 seconds in battle because enemies ramped up but in a good way. Also, be warned about the final boss (not actual story spoilers but about play-style):
    Spoiler:
    It's a series of one on one fights that can be punishing if you don't level every single character appropriately.
  • Shannon HarleShannon Harle qt = π RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Ooo! A game I can play along with! (Well technically I could've played Baten Kaitos but I had NO time). I'll get started on this as soon as I'm able! ... that being after I get cleaned up and do some FF14 stuff.

I do have a save file for the game, but I'm cool with starting over because I have NO idea why I got stonewalled so hard the last time I played. I ended up stopped at this one frog boss on the jungle planet because he just kept wiping me. Something tells me it had something to do with the environment and how he uses an electric attack on the water or something? It's been such a long time I can BARELY remember what was going on with it. The only other thing I remember about the game is Yuri Lowenthal was a robot. Also pirates (SKIIIIIIES).
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
    edited May 2014
    It's most likely that Ashe. The second you beat him you gain access to the weapon synthesis, and the boss itself is a rather annoying one, especially because it's an early-game boss. The late game bosses aren't as frustrating since you can easily overpower them using the more powerful weapons made through synthesis.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited May 2014
    So I started playing it again on stream today and got past the tutorial world... only to have the game freeze on me after the first battle with Kisala in your party. I checked the disc and it's got some pretty nasty scratches so I'm going to have to figure out how to buff those out before I can continue more than likely. Which kinda sucks because since I'm older and wiser, I'm enjoying the battle system a lot more. Instead of mashing, I'm actually using skills and charge attacks, which makes combat a lot more various and interesting. That and now that I know more about the leveling system, I'm able to dump into that and do proper grinding.

... I just wanna be able to play the game. ;w;
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited May 2014
    Armor is just appearance, weapons are all you really get in this game other than alternate outfits.
    edited May 2014
    As much as I was excited to finally be able to play a game in this thread series, technology seems to be horribly against me. My copy of the game has this deep scratch in it and I don't have any way to buff it out, plus the closest store that has a copy of the game is in the middle of Pennsylvania. So I'm going to have to bow out. I was really enjoying the game too... :(
  • TheLegendaryZoltanTheLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited May 2014
    This game's "infinite grinding" system is insane. No matter where you are in the game, you can get new weapons. If you want to be really grind-crazy, just buy 8 of the best weapon available at a shop, fight 15 battles with EACH of them, combine them all into 4 better weapons, fight 15 more battles with each of those, combine them into 2 amazing weapons, fight 30 more battles and combine those two weapons into something far more powerful than you ever needed. Hahaha. GRINDALICIOUS!
    Like JRPGs?
    Want to hear a JRPG podcast that actually has a unique format?
    Check out Turn Based Memories!
    edited May 2014
    Adding to that Zoltan, it's incredibly easy to get Desert Seeker's final form around the 2/3 mark of the game just through fusion and knowing exactly which weapons to combine it with. Hell, before the end of the 3rd chapter you can get it to its 2nd form easily, and to 3rd form ONLY if you've played the fusions right.
    edited May 2014
    Made it to the beginning of Chapter 5, the Battle Recorder enemies from Chapters 1-4 fully recorded in them (meaning all required kills done). During Chapter 4, I realized I was able to fuse the final form of the Desert Seeker, the Earthshaker, just from fusions I had done in Chapters 2 and 3. For the record, here's the progress from the beginning of the game, which I will spoiler for those who don't want to know an easy route to it. Just note that it IS a level 40 weapon (albeit one of the 7 ultimate weapons for Jaster), so even if you get this, you won't be able to equip it for a while.
    Spoiler:
    Buy a Grand Edge and a Wild Edge from the Weapon and Item Shops on Rosa before leaving.
    Buy 2 Rock Crushers from the Merchant on the riverside while on the way to Burkaqua.
    After getting Toady, combine the Ridge Crusher you get with a Rock Crusher to get a Gaea Crusher.
    Combine a Rock Crusher with the Grand Edge to get a Volcano Crusher.
    Combine the Volcano Crusher with the Wild Edge to get a Gaea Crusher+.
    Reach Burkaqua Village, buy a Shining Horn from the shop.
    Combine the Gaea Crusher+ with the Shining Horn to get a Crimson Fever.
    Combine the Crimson Fever with the Gaea Crusher to get a Full Breaker.
    Reach the merchant near the waterfall, and buy 2 Rising Suns from him.
    Combine the Full Breaker with a Rising Sun to get Alex Impulse.
    Combine Desert Seeker with a Rising Sun for Desert Seeker II
    Reach Zerard, and buy 2 Star Edges from the weapon shop in the west side.
    When you enter the Prison, on the west side will be a chest with the Metal Breaker, get it.
    Combine a Star Edge with the Metal Breaker for the Solar Sword+.
    Combine the Solar Sword+ with the Desert Seeker II for the Desert Seeker III.
    Combine the Alex Impulse with the other Star Edge for a Blizzard Edge.
    Combine the Blizzard Edge with Desert Seeker III for the Earthshaker.

That's the process I got for the weapon, just didn't expect it to be possible this early to get the sword. Ahh well, gotta wait 8 levels before I can break the game's difficulty.
  • RockkoRockko Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Been meaning to get back into this. Picked it up on eBay last year and haven't gotten very far. Will try to fire it up again this weekend I suppose...
    edited May 2014
    Made it up to Chapter 6, and I've managed to max out all the hunting log still up to this point. The factory is unlocked, so now I have access to making new goods. I'll try to get further on this later, because it's time to get the final party member in the game and start weapon fusions on my own time, none of this "premade parties" setup they have going for me.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Finally got started on this one today, and made it past the intro chapter and on to the jungle planet. I love the way the game looks so far, especially in the cut scenes. Jasper seems likable enough and not quite the bland protagonist we're usually saddled with. Combat is fine for now, though a bit too often for my liking. I'm sure it will get more involved as I move along. Resale on items is pathetic, and there doesn't seem to be any incentive to sell anything, especially given the weapon fusion that will be coming up later.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Woooooow this thread brings back some seriously great memories. Endless grind, god damn I miss this era of games. So many interesting, different systems came out of that time.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I have to say, I love the story recaps that you get every time you boot up.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited May 2014
    The factory, while it gives you the base thing, it doesn't tell you that you need to add more things to get it to work. For metal, you have to use 3 different devices to get it to a good state to fuse it, while for alchemy, circuits, mecha, and gems, you only need 1. Also, the numbers both things have over them HAVE to be the same when they enter the final machine, or the little fusion machine won't work. Once you know the basics, it becomes very easy to do and kinda fun, especially since the ultimate stuff made in that factory requires so much micromanaging of the space that it might as well be a puzzle game.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited May 2014
    It's worth doing IMO. The enemies there are unique, and you can buy stuff there that's hard to find otherwise. Plus it's the BEACH planet, who says no to the beach!?
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited May 2014
    smacd wrote: »
    I did it, it wasn't really that long so that is a plus, and the boss wasn't particularly difficult. It did have some decent loot for the revelation table and some decent weapons I plan on randomly combining with other random weapons.
    The planet really doesn't disappear if you do it. Makes it a nice place to come back to for some equipment from the shops.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Gladius Towers! That's the place that they changed for the US version. It was soooo much longer and more of a labyrinth. Ugh.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    edited May 2014
    Not going to be able to clear this one anywhere near in time sadly. Would have, but then DFO came into my life.