The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Happy 40th anniversary D&D

ShadowcatShadowcat MemberFull Members
edited October 2014 in Saving Throw Gaming
I usually don't post here because pen and paper games really aren't my thing but there probably isn't a better place for this on the boards. 40 years ago D&D hit store shelves much to the delight of geeks everywhere. From it's ideas sprang video games like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and others...and also a whole slew of tabletop games! Happy B-Day D&D we all owe you alot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuFVl20FFCM
FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
FlOzXvF.jpg
My VAPS Entry,

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Hooray for the grandpappy of RPG's!
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited January 2014
    Happy anniversary, D&D! I can't say I ever played a table top RPG, but I do owe it for being the common ancestor of many of my favorite series.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Happy birthday D&D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Happy anniversary, D&D! I can't say I ever played a table top RPG, but I do owe it for being the common ancestor of many of my favorite series.

You are certainly missing out on a lot of fun. I played a fair amount of D&D while in college, both official 3.5 (and one so-so 4.0 game) and a ton of home-brew based off of 3.5. I am far from the best person to play table top games but I do enjoy sitting at the table and enjoying people riffing off each other and have crazy adventures. Case in point, if you ever want to see a room of 10 players (including 3 new people) lose their mind laughing, let a 3 foot tall bone fairy (one of the new players) roll consecutive 20s to climb faster out of a tunnel rapidly filling with water.

*gm stares wide eyed at the roll on the table* "uhhh.....your non-functioning wings suddenly spring to life and you shoot off like a rocket out of the hole". (Along the way 3 people rolled above a 16 so they were able to latch on and ride to safety.)

(In addition I played some Shadowrun, Exalted and I think pathfinder in college too. There was a home made version of the PC game Arcainum that was run once which was cool, but the for that goes in another thread.)
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com
  • khalid buttkhalid butt New Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    and paper games really aren't my thing but there probably isn't a better place for this on the boards. 40 years ago D&D hit store shelves much to the delight of geeks everywhere. From it's ideas sprang video games like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and others...and also a whole slew of tabletop games! Happy B-Day D&D we all o
    Pakistan