If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Adventures of Mana Begins With Launch Trailer

ScionScion RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Two decades after its initial release on the black and white, pixelated Game Boy, Final Fantasy Adventure hits iOS and Android under a brand new title. RPGamers can revisit that handheld classic in an entirely new dimension.

[Story]

Comments

• ArckadiusArckadius Dark Knight CanadaFull Members
    Would love to play this on Vita, or even 3DS. Final Fantasy Adventure was one of my favorite gameboy games. I don't have a cell phone to play this on.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yeah I was hoping there would be a physical release of the vita version (since you can only have one PSN per memory card on vita) but no such luck it looks like. Will have to settle for playing it on phone. Just fyi though - there are a ton of ways to play android apps on a computer, so you don't necessarily need a phone to play it on.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Jammy DodgerJammy Dodger New Member Full Members
    I'll hold out in hopes of a North American release of the vita version. I was definitely looking forward to this since I never played the earlier versions, but playing on a phone is not an option and playing on the PC defeats the purpose of having an enjoyable mobile game.
  • That music rocks. This might be my next iOS game.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited February 2016
    Ah, "Rising Sun" and "Endless Battle." I even love the GBA versions of these songs in Sword of Mana. I never did play the original Game Boy game.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I'd like to play this on my PSTV.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    I still find the DS-quality graphics on the 3rd remake of this title to be off-putting, personally. Ultimately it doesn't matter I guess, since I don't play mobile releases.
  • You must have vision problems, because the graphics look more 3DS quality to me.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    You must have vision problems, because the graphics look more 3DS quality to me.

I have myopia, but it doesn't impact my vision at this distance. I think that's pretty much splitting hairs at this point, both the DS and 3DS tend to look pretty dated with respect to their models. Though it's worth mentioning, assets on DS games are somewhat higher quality than you might think, but the clarity of the models and textures is constrained to some degree by the quality of the screen:

Which is why simply scaling re-rendering DS-quality assets can make it look a bit prettier:
    http://i.imgur.com/4kOqAIF.jpg

and of course, the PC releases of ported DS games are little more than this as well:
    http://i.imgur.com/6CAtzWR.jpg

When making the DS comparison, I think this is somewhat telling:
    http://www.rpgamer.com/games/sd/ffaremake/screens/ffaremake4.jpg
    http://www.rpgamer.com/games/sd/ffaremake/screens/ffaremake3.jpg
    http://www.rpgamer.com/games/sd/ffaremake/screens/ffaremake1.jpg

Are those DS models of the FF4 characters (upscaled mind you, but little else) terribly detailed with nice textures? No. However, I think they still came off looking pretty good at the time they released. In contrast, the only thing that seems high-res in the remake is the UI, and the MC looks like a low-poly model that lacks the character in texture that those DS models received. He's a redesign of the 2nd FFA remake, which was a plain red-armored guy. The U.S. lacks that context because we never received that particular port. The result is a blocky red guy with a spikey brown thing on top.

I think it makes for a jarring, blocky, unpleasant art style that is reminiscent of DS games. 3DS are better with polygons than the DS of course, though that's not saying much. I think 3DS games that handle their limitations better tend to go a more cel-shaded route, and the results are more aesthetically pleasing.

In either case, this remake isn't being make for a DS OR a 3DS. Neither mobiles nor vitas have limitations quite like that. The graphics look dated despite it being remade for today. Six years ago we could see better polygons on another portable (PSP) in Birth by Sleep, and that system is massively underpowered compared to a Vita. So, it's not as if they lacked the technology to make good models, it's like it was just a questionable art choice. Note that the game has a fixed camera angle, which would require less work on the part of the graphics engine to begin with as well.

I think it also meshes poorly with the more traditional art style of the Mana series, which was in fact pretty stylized. However, the traditional Mana style was better known for sprite-work, not polygons:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Jg9cdIPhzzl3W/giphy.gif

That said, it's apparently not the first time they went with somewhat wonky with graphical choices, as they did something similar for Rise of Mana:

... you'll note the character models are more animated and stylized than the remake ones though (in the remake cutscenes, text moves and the models just sit there mostly). Rise also has more fully 3D world with a panning camera, etc. compared to this new one. Rise also came out 2 years ago (for the same platforms, mobile and vita). So... did they just get lazier in the past 2 years?

I'm not really impressed with either. Basically, I thought it was understandable that their DS ports to mobile, PC, etc. were on the low-fi side because they were somewhat lazily upscaling from source material that started out on DS. In this case, the remake was made from scratch, but doesn't seem to rise to the level of quality of either the game in the series they made 2 years ago, nor the prior sprite-work of the series, nor the companies work on portables a generation back. It just seems to be a generally lackluster effort that's disappointing in light of the pedigree of the series and the fantastic artwork it was once known for (e.g. - not unlike all the hand-drawn stuff they show you before the gameplay in the trailer).

That's just my opinion though.

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Loving this so far, plays pretty closely to the original.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    There seems to be a lot of positive response about the game. And I really am glad, because square is basically the culture of my childhood, so I want them to do good. I had my complaints about the visual style, like jitawa has presented. But if it's good it's good, a steam release would be nice.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    SE Official Blog:
    Thank you for all of your comments on a PS Vita edition of Adventures of Mana.

We’ve been listening to your feedback and because of your passion for the game, we’re going to look into making a PS Vita version of Adventures of Mana for the west. We can’t guarantee we’ll be able to make this happen but we will see what we can do.

We’ll let you know if we have any news, so watch out for future updates and thank you for your support.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)