If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nintendo Direct Round-Up (March 2016)

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
edited March 2016 in Latest Updates
Another major Nintendo Direct means another lengthy write-up of all the RPG news that came with it. Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Earthbound, Zelda, Yo-kai Watch, Bravely Second, and the new name for the Shin Megami Tensei-Fire Emblem crossover all made appearances.

[ GAMES! Also, dancing Shibata ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    I can't help but notice that Paper Mario: Color Splash uses a battle system just a gimmicky as Sticker Star was.

Sticker Star is a good example of why I buy games as cartridges: So I can sell them when it turns out I hate a game.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2016
    Predictably, my favorite out of this Direct was the English name and release date for the game once known as SMTXFE. It will take a while to get used to calling it Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. As SweetieAshe and others have speculated, the title is probably more deliberate than it looks (TMS-SMT). I'm going to be bummed about the lack of an English dub for a long while, though. :(
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Shannon HarleShannon Harle qt = π RPGamer Staff
    There's really only two things I came away with from this Direct... I need a N3DS and WiiU before long and DANG Nintendo is good at tempting me to buy Collector's Editions... I really didn't know that the artbook that came with Bravely Second was a full 100+ page artbook which is ALMOST enough to make me want to get it even without the figure... That being said, TMS#FE, Hyrule Warriors Legends, and the inclusion of SNES VC on N3DS is pretty great (surprising no one the JP selection is much better than the Western one though).
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Not having to type Genei Ibun Roku #FE will be appreciated, though the new title isn't much better. SNES games on only New 3DS is five years too late. Here's to hoping the new Paper Mario doesn't suck.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Not sure how many games noodle and Alice will simultaneously mark out for.

Still hyped for TMS#FE, but the timing for when I'll be playing it will be interesting...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    Shaymin wrote: »
    Not sure how many games noodle and Alice will simultaneously mark out for.

Still hyped for TMS#FE, but the timing for when I'll be playing it will be interesting...

Oh god I just realized it's the same week as no man's sky, it will probably be put in the to be played later pile.

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I'm anticipating reviewing it, and I'm also going to LA for a week in June. Yeah...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    SNES games only on New 3DS? BOOOOOOOOOO.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I wonder what the hang up of getting snes games on the vc was. You would think it wasn't a power issue. I know some of the ambassador games didn't run like they wanted them to(sleep mode and no 3ds operating system in the background).
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    No dub for SMTxFE? Booooooo
    Budai wrote: »
    I wonder what the hang up of getting snes games on the vc was. You would think it wasn't a power issue. I know some of the ambassador games didn't run like they wanted them to(sleep mode and no 3ds operating system in the background).

Would be interesting to know the exact technical reasons but I'd imagine it has something to do with the amount of ram in the original 3DS or something. I'm sure it COULD do SNES emulation but probably not at quality that would be acceptable to Nintendo.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    I haven't had a chance to watch it yet because I'm travelling so I have a quick Q - in EU if you played the Bravely Default demo you got a discount off the full game...did they mention anything like that for NA? It was revealed fairly close to the EU launch, presumably to not disrupt pre-orders.
    Paws wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to watch it yet because I'm travelling so I have a quick Q - in EU if you played the Bravely Default demo you got a discount off the full game...did they mention anything like that for NA? It was revealed fairly close to the EU launch, presumably to not disrupt pre-orders.

I think they just said Bravely Default would be on discount in general.
    sig.gif
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Very excited for TMS#FE; I have a feeling it will be filling a Persona sized hole in the release schedule this year. Also, at risk of being a broken record, the SNES games on new 3DS would be more exciting if Nintendo had a better online system. If I could buy VC titles once and play on 3DS and WiiU (and NX) I would buy a lot more of them.
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Very excited for TMS#FE; I have a feeling it will be filling a Persona sized hole in the release schedule this year. Also, at risk of being a broken record, the SNES games on new 3DS would be more exciting if Nintendo had a better online system. If I could buy VC titles once and play on 3DS and WiiU (and NX) I would buy a lot more of them.

Doesn't seem like something their business folks would ever go with, but would at least be cool to get a discount for buying multiple versions.
    sig.gif
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    Happy to see TMS#FE is actually getting released here. I can't say I'm surprised at the no-dub announcement and I wouldn't be surprised if it was digital-only as well.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »
    No dub for SMTxFE? Booooooo
    Budai wrote: »

Would be interesting to know the exact technical reasons but I'd imagine it has something to do with the amount of ram in the original 3DS or something. I'm sure it COULD do SNES emulation but probably not at quality that would be acceptable to Nintendo.

That is my guess too. Nintendo has always empathized things running right. And if the emulation is mostly loaded into ram, than the new 3ds allows that. I doubt Nintendo would have left the money on the table if they felt like it was a perfect fit on the old model. I've read some conspiracy theories saying this is Nintendo idea to get people to buy the new 3ds, but they would most likely have made more money selling downloads than they would hardware upgrades at this point. No way they hold back that feature if it's ready for both models.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    I think they don't want to confuse customers with compatibility lists.
    With homebrew emulator, most SNES games will run fine on regular 3DS. There's no way I can say for sure every game will run just fine, and I think Nintendo doesn't want to confuse customers with compatibility lists.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    Happy to see TMS#FE is actually getting released here. I can't say I'm surprised at the no-dub announcement and I wouldn't be surprised if it was digital-only as well.

no worries they have confirmed a physical edition

some other notes I like the name much better now that i see the initals are SMT backwards, however there is something that im not liking

CcqQHkiWIAExcVy.jpgCcqQHi-WoAEjfth.jpg
    Here we go again

Here we go again

This seems a bit silly. My best guess is some segment of NoA's business/marketing wants these things with a T a rating. Why exactly that's necessary for such a niche title makes even less sense. Maybe Bayonetta 2/Ninja Gaiden 3 soured NoA on releasing M rated stuff?
    sig.gif
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited March 2016
    NoA mostly seems to care about the sexualization of teenage characters, which is definitely going to affect TMS #FE. Given the histrionic behaviour of our news media/"concerned parents" whenever a real teenage pop star de-Disneyfies, I can't say I particularly blame them. The niche localizers can fly under the radar with fanservice games, but the mainstream media has its eyes on Nintendo.
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    Ocelot wrote: »
    NoA mostly seems to care about the sexualization of teenage characters, which is definitely going to affect TMS #FE. Given the histrionic behaviour of our news media/"concerned parents" whenever a real teenage pop star de-Disneyfies, I can't say I particularly blame them. The niche localizers can fly under the radar with fanservice games, but the mainstream media has its eyes on Nintendo.

and given their financial woes not too long ago, I'm sure that's the kind of attention they desperately want to avoid.
    sig.gif