If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Ocean 5 Out Now

ScionScion RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited June 2016 in Latest Updates
Square Enix's return to the wide expanse of space is finally here, in North America at least. Europe will have to wait a few more days, but there's a new trailer to help tide the continent over.

[Story]

Comments

• SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I'm waiting to read many reviews.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    Slayer wrote: »
    . Please don't the game is receiving a lot of avg to below average reviews due to inept reviewers. The reviews that are giving it higher scores are way more in line with the general public.

This is a solid 3.5/5 game and a good entry to the series.

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    I picked it up, I am enjoying it reminds me of older Star Oceans but with some of hte ease of use that 4 had (although I really liked 4)
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    . Please don't the game is receiving a lot of avg to below average reviews due to inept reviewers. The reviews that are giving it higher scores are way more in line with the general public.

It seems that a lot of the reviews I'm reading seem to be complaining about JRPGs in general, not the game. This may be the case for the majority of them, so I'd suggest waiting for reviews from here or RPGFan if you really want one before buying it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Yea the save point complaint is the most irritating of them all, not every game has to have a save anywhere feature.

I also hear complaints about technical issues which I have never run into.
  • Shannon HarleShannon Harle qt = π RPGamer Staff
    I'd have to agree with everything said here. It's been a pretty solid 3.5/5 to a 4/5 for me about 17 hours in, but we'll have to see if there's something huge later. I wasn't a fan of SO4, so this has been a great breath of fresh air for the series for me. Just unfortunate that every is complaining about JRPG tropes instead of taking the game on its own merits, which means people aren't going to get it and Tri-A will stay stuck where they're at. :(
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
  • TheMooseTheMoose Member Full Members
    edited July 2016
    While "Star Ocean - Integrity and Faithlessness" received a 34/40 with Famitsu Magazine, which is a very high score from one of Japan's most popular gaming magazines, I'm really disappointed that this great game is receiving average to below average scores.

So far, I love this game as it goes back to basics as you mostly explore one planet like you do in "Star Ocean - First Departure" (Roak), "Star Ocean - Second Evolution" (mostly Expel and Energy Nede), and "Star Ocean - Until The End of Time" (mostly Elicoor II).

I also love some innovative features like the real time battles, less the gambits in Final Fantasy 12, and the item creation.

Only complaint about this game is that you don't learn new spells or fighting techniques naturally when you level up, and you can only get a new spells or techniques when you get a scroll or when a weapon skill is leveled up.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    So, how many sites are you going to copy and paste the same post to?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    edited July 2016
    smacd wrote: »
    GameInformer's review by Kim Wallace seemed to really dislike the game. She's a hardcore RPG fan and she liked older SO games, so its a bit telling if she was disappointed by it.

On the other hand, Adriaan seems to like it so far judging by his twitter comments on it.

I trust GameInformer reviews about as much I trust loot ninja's in WoW. Just cause the person enjoyed soemthing in the past doesn't equate to liking something current (look at the flack Disgaea 5 got here at RPGamer when the reviewer stated they didn't like it and it was the same reviewer as previous who gave them decent to high scores)

Edit: So inconclusion the only thing I can ever really say about any game is that if you really wanna know whether or not YOU will enjoy it is to pick it up and play it for yourself. Yes people can state opinions on a game left and right (to varying degree) but to know if you like a game you gotta play it for yourself. Although there are several reviewers that I agree most of the time with I still differ on games and i don't let what any else says influence my enjoyment. Hence why I really enjoy SO4 despite what most people say.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    Been dividing time between this and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. So far SOV is off to a quicker start than its immediate predecessor, but it's not really doing anything to make it stand out from the other entries. In terms of fighting it pales to SO4, item creation is nowhere near as deep or complex as 1-3, the side quests are pretty rote, and having to commute long distances between one town to another is tedious. It's a decent game, but not impressing as much as its forebears
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited July 2016
    The item creation feels like a fleshed out (kinda) version of SO2's. Instead of only needing item X to do all of the one creation, you now need a bunch of different ones. Makes it a tiny bit harder to break the game (for better or worse) instead of how easy it was back in SO2. I kinda like it like this, but at the same time I prefer how it was with only needing the 1 item. Nostalgia glasses are probably on with that comment of mine though.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Sadly I'm not sure how far into the game I am but i am really liking it and the story. I also think it's interesting that we have a different kind of Kenny then we did in all the other takes on Star Ocean.
    sig.gif

It seems that a lot of the reviews I'm reading seem to be complaining about JRPGs in general, not the game. This may be the case for the majority of them, so I'd suggest waiting for reviews from here or RPGFan if you really want one before buying it.

Well RPGfan gave it a 5/10

Biggest complaint I saw was the backtracking
    Also really hated the story
    I can agree that there is a lot of backtracking. I think the reason for the backtracking is due to one of the games biggest draws which is seamless battle transitions. For everything gained something else must be lost.
    sig.gif

• AiddonAiddon Member Full Members
    I can agree that there is a lot of backtracking. I think the reason for the backtracking is due to one of the games biggest draws which is seamless battle transitions. For everything gained something else must be lost.

I very much doubt that. SO3 had fast travel no problem and SO2 had vehicles that made travel a breeze on the overworld. The only way the lack of fast-travel would work is if there was a way to cut down on the commutes by having shortcuts you had to unlock (like with how Dark Souls and Bloodborne). Even then checkpoints wouldn't deter from anything; you don't have to have every inch of the map be a warp point, but at least let us take a carriage or bunny to the different towns.
    edited July 2016
    There is fast travel, but the key here is the the backtracking, cause you're backtracking through the same area's alot. Thats where I am getting at. SO3 and SO4 had a large variety of areas and fairly large ones, but the two games I've played that have seamless battles, Tales of Zesteria and SO5, they have seamless battles but not a whole lot of areas.

So as I think to get that built in how much did we have to lose in other areas of game development.

Edit: And again i state I am enjoying the game immensely. But I also do not have the whole nostalgia thing for 1 or 2. I didn't play one till a long time later (PSP) and only got past the opening before I wandered into a cave that was super high level compared to me near the beginning of the game with no warning about it. 2 I managed to get all the way to the end of the second disc during it's course on PSX but I wasn't overly involved into it. I LIKED it but I didn't think it was amazing. SO3 pissed me off with the 0MP = death mechanic but using it on enemies was fun and I thought the weird story twist was at least interesting (even if not well done). SO4 I really liked and right now is the one I personally like the best as far the presentation goes, but I am very forgiving for minor issues, like voice acting, it was a director issue not an actor issue.

But I try and take each game at ITS face value. So someone writing a review and then making comparisons or comments about something that was or wasn't done in previous games, to me (and this goes for any "series"), devalues the review because yes it maybe the fifth in the Star Ocean series. It's still a single game by itself and should be judged on it's own merits and faults without making reflections to previous entries.

Lets say if the game had a different name like, Final Ocean (sorry drawing a good name blank) would be making all these comparison comments in reviews from different outlets to games in teh Star Ocean series. Most likely not, because there would be nothing to directly make connections to. We would however make generalized comments to other RPG's as a whole which is the way it should be but every game should still be judge on it's own individual merit (this is a different arguement then Objection-ism vs opinion n reviews)
    sig.gif

• LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    I don't even like seamless battles, much less willing to accept further drawbacks. I'm one of a dying breed that actually prefers random encounters because it helps capture the imagination of a more expansive landscape (yes, we can argue that's unnecessary these days, but it tends to make the world seem ridiculously small when you come down to nuts and bolts) and at the same time I don't need to see my landscape tarnished by dozens of the same monsters. I'm not sure if seamless battles would be a step down for Zestiria though. Xillia didn't have seamless battles but it sure had monster-ridden landscapes. Still the not a whole lot of areas makes me think it's bad and then some more bad.

Haven't played the previous Star Ocean games though, but I've had some interest. I was always hoping they would release Star Ocean 3 as a digital PS2 release. I heard bad things about SO4, so I didn't want to start wit that at least.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited July 2016
    I don't even like seamless battles, much less willing to accept further drawbacks. I'm one of a dying breed that actually prefers random encounters because it helps capture the imagination of a more expansive landscape (yes, we can argue that's unnecessary these days, but it tends to make the world seem ridiculously small when you come down to nuts and bolts) and at the same time I don't need to see my landscape tarnished by dozens of the same monsters. I'm not sure if seamless battles would be a step down for Zestiria though. Xillia didn't have seamless battles but it sure had monster-ridden landscapes. Still the not a whole lot of areas makes me think it's bad and then some more bad.

Haven't played the previous Star Ocean games though, but I've had some interest. I was always hoping they would release Star Ocean 3 as a digital PS2 release. I heard bad things about SO4, so I didn't want to start wit that at least.

I have no problem with screen transitions or random encounters, either. Screen transitions are sort of more epic in scope. Granted they are getting better at giving us bigger and better looking monsters lately than they were doing when they first started moving away from random encounters.
  • TheLastRemainingTheLastRemaining Blountville TNFull Members
    I'm about 12 hours in and very much enjoying the game. I've stayed away from reviews as I hear they are very negative. The combat is simple so far but has nice mechanics to it. My party is up to 6 and the action on screen is pretty cool with everyone attacking at once. I prefer the Tales of series and this is the first Star Ocean game I've liked honestly. If you want to complete the side quests their is a lot of back tracking. I'm old school and don't mind this at all. It levels up the party, farms for needed resources, and gets the SP you need loads of to upgrade everything.
    I really like the interaction between characters. They actually speak to each other. And the private actions are really neat and funny. NPC's have speech bubbles above their heads so you don't have to speak to every person you see. Just read or ignore.
    I feel the graphics are really well done and deserving of this generation. The story is coming along nicely too. So unless this game falls off a cliff somewhere I don't see why it's getting trashed. It's a JRPG. If you don't like them, you won't like this more than likely.