If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2016
    Skyrim: Special Edition - I have no idea how or why I started playing this game again. I love me some TES and it just kind of happened after it showed up in my steam inventory. Played originally on the 360 for some reason, so I'm glad to go to the PC this time around. I should play it with mods this time around, but trying to find good mods that interest me is... eh.

DID SOMEONE SAY MODS?????

I won't bombard you with everything I like, just make a couple suggestions

ABSOLUTELY VITAL:

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266/? - Even if you don't want to mod anything else, I highly suggest getting this. Fixes many, many, maaaaaaaany bugs Bethesda never bothered to, and the only real downside is the first dragon you kill in the story has a derpy voice now.

PRETTY GOOD:

Alternate Start - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/272/? - gives you a bunch of different options to start the game so you don't have to sit through the torturously slow opening every time you want to make a new character.

Ordinator - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1137/? - Completely changes perk trees to make them more interesting, provides more synergy between trees and allows greater specialization (Staff and scroll mages are viable! Destruction doesn't become useless at higher levels!)

Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1090/? - made by the same guy as Ordinator, adds a whole bunch of new spells to the game. No real vanilla damage only spells here they tend to have interesting or niche uses (example, finger of death will kill whatever you cast it on but will deal its hp total as damage to you, conjure lich summons a powerful minion but eats weapon enhancement charge instead of mana, or little things like 'dropzone', which creates an area that negates fall damage if you want to jump off a cliff or something.) If you use this and Ordinator, make sure to get the compatibility patch too.

Static Mesh Improvement Mod - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/659/? - Greatly improves some of the terrible meshes in this game.

As long as you've got the Ordinator-Apocalypse patch these are all compatible with each other and will work fine installed in this order.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    Yeah those are all for special edition. I don't usually use quest mods just because quality differences stick out like a sore thumb, but apparently Forgotten city is good? It won a writing guild award here somehow - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1179/? - I haven't gotten around to playing it yet though.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    Rock Band 4: Rivals - The expansion pack for Rock Band 4 has me playing at least an hour a day. Being a member of a really good crew helps, and I find that several others are better than me skill-wise, meaning that my best contribution is grinding XP. Its like Rock Band RPG. I know my crew can make it at least to the Diamond level, and I think if we swap out some crew members who haven't really been contributing, I think we have a really good shot at making it to Bloodstone in a few weeks.

Are you on Xbox or PS4? I'm also playing quite a bit of this on Xbox, and my crew just missed out on Platinum last week. Bloodstone is going to be insane, with maybe 30 or so bands in there.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    My crew made Diamond, which puts us in the top 15 on the xbone. Crazy. We had a big XP push at the end that secured our slot. Have to step it up next week to even maintain, cause if we place in the same spot we'll demote back to platinum.

I'm not sure if I have the time to keep devoting to this at the rate I have been. I want to play some other games and get back to tacking my backlog. I might have to bow out soon.

Nice job. Made it up to Platinum this week by the skin of our teeth. Looking at the numbers is insane, though. We had 1/10 the crew XP that the top band did. I did the math, and that worked out to something like 17 hours a week for each person in a full crew. That's crazy. I put in 45 song plays this past week, and I can't see myself going much further than that. I'd like to stay in Platinum, but I don't think we will challenge for Diamond.

All this has absolutely revitalized RB4, so kudos to Harmonix for pulling it off.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2016
    I started Dishonored 2 the day it came out, but as someone who wants to explore every nook and cranny, the levels are large and it's taking me a while to get through each stage. I've been working every evening this week and get pinged to help with extra tasks on top of that, so I haven't been playing it much. I want to be able to complete a stage in one long shot without stopping for work frequently.

That's led to me playing Stardew Valley much more than expected. I bought it to fill in the week before Dishonored 2 came out, figuring I could drop it and come back to it between more interesting releases. Instead, I've become hooked on it. It's the faster, more balanced, more fun take on Harvest Moon that I've wanted Japan to make for the last two decades. Seriously, how does ONE GUY make an improved Harvest Moon that dev teams across multiple companies given several console generations can't make in Japan?

I'm currently in Winter Year 1 and this month started generating large amounts of money. I'm spending it on upgraded tools while I can't farm. With all the ingots I've made, I plan to head into Spring with enough sprinklers to make it so I don't need to spend much time farming each day. Then I can get more animals and take time to care for them and clean up the farm more.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    I'm starting to get into Xanadu Next a little more. While it's annoying having to switch between the controller and the mouse for inventory management, at least most of the time a controller does the job just fine. Progression is steady and meaningful, combat is simple but effective - it's a decent hack & slash.
    Ys Seven is also fun Falcom, though I'm not as enamored with it as our reviewers 6 years ago were.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited November 2016
    I don't like being in the middle of multiple games at once, but I'm in a rare spot where I'm playing 4 games for 4 different needs and I'll probably keep at them all. The 2 new ones are:

Grim Dawn -- My brother has been desperate to find a lengthy co-op game for us to play. Since Path of Exile was probably the best, longest game we've played together, we went back to that vein. I was tentative when I saw it was the successor to Titan Quest, which I found too simple, but Grim Dawn is excellent so far. I'm a demolitionist/arcanist glass cannon; he's a shaman/occultist beefy summoner who runs past enemies like a moron and hopes his large posse of minions distracts a few of them. I'm digging it and enjoy that the devs packed every loot and progression mechanic and the kitchen sink into the game. We're in Act 1, playing on Veteran, and the only death was when my brother stood in toxic goo without realizing his health was draining.

Pokemon Moon -- Fall is the time of year for handhelds for me. I'll play in a warm bed on a cold night, during NFL games, while watching the frequent MMA events, or while waiting for my brother to get on Skype for Grim Dawn. This is the best Pokemon game since Gen 5, though I still think the series is better when there's a challenge. My brother watched me play for a few minutes while I was home for the holidays. He hasn't played Pokemon since Gen 3. Conversation:

Brother: "Did you just kill that enemy in one hit?"
    Me: "Yes."
    Brother: "Are you supposed to be able to win fights in one attack?"
    Me: "Yes. I've told you that Pokemon is very easy now."
    Brother: "Why would anyone want to play this?"
    Me: "It's more about catching them all now, not battle strategy."
    Brother: "It was always about catching them all. Now there's no strategy? Why are you playing this?"
    Me: "I usually play it while watching NFL games..."
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I made it to Chapter 4 of Zero no Kiseki Evolution, but it was more like I finally finished Chapter 3... It felt really full of events compared to the previous chapters. It didn't help that even the voice acting was dropped for a bunch of the required events for the chapter. Anyway the game feels like it's just building up. Story structure-wise, I think it has a Trails in the Sky FC feel, so I'm expecting a big reveal at any moment now. I'm starting to burn out on quests, though, even with using a walkthrough for help for some of them. I already missed a bunch of hidden quests so my motivation is down to do lots more. I'm blaming Chapter 3.

I've also restarted Last Ranker because I had no idea what I was doing since I last played and I was less than 2 hours in. I enjoy the battle system and can't wait for more customization (after I win more skills from beating people up, what a fun mechanic).

I've put some time into Legend of Legacy. I'm just exploring places slowly (I end up retreating a lot...). Maybe there's supposed to be a plot somewhere? I've collected some Wind shards but I don't have the ability to summon wind spirits yet.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    Yeah Skyrim Special Edition came to my wife cause she had the most previous of awesome editions and got it free. (two other friends had this happen too)
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Been playing FF15 a little for the past couple of days. Not very far at all, just started Chapter 2 and I'd say alot of my time in it thus far has simply been garbage time hours trying to figure out how things work and getting collectibles or whatnot.

Honestly I have no idea where I sit with 15 right now. Its got a very stylized nature to how it handles everything with this midwestern setting and road trip with the guys feel. Right now I'm leaning more negatively than positively, but much of that is due in part to the fact that I'm not a fan of open world games and 15 ended up being much more open world than I expected (hadn't followed practically any news about it). Theres lots of small gripes I have, ranging from camera zoom, lost frames, minor texture pop-ins, and the targeting system being finicky for enemies but especially warp points. Im not a fan of how magic works either, at all, but I suppose that could change. The things I do like about 15 though are all the little touches of nostalgia, the scenery, and just how interconnected a lot of your actions are. The story has gone absolutely nowhere so far, this may actually be the slowest starting FF in the main series, so thats why I'm holding out hope that things will get interesting, because I really love the actual world thats been crafted already. I just want more of a concrete reason to play and explore it rather than just because. Also I spent like an hour and a half in one sitting on that pinball mini-game. What is going on with me?
    edited December 2016
    Still playing Skyrim SE, actually doing those big quest mods I install every time and never get around to, might do a write-up for a couple of 'em if I get the chance.

For all the complaints in the games media about the SE not really adding much to the base game (true enough, but the shadows not being borked anymore is almost enough to recommend it on its own) it really shines once you start shoving mods into it. I'm 200+ mods in and its... still completely stable. I make my own compatibility patches to keep things playing nice together as much as possible, but Oldrim would have fallen apart long before this. Ah, the wonders of not having any memory limits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    I just want more of a concrete reason to play and explore it rather than just because. Also I spent like an hour and a half in one sitting on that pinball mini-game. What is going on with me?

Ditch the questing and do some story missions. Open world games can be annoying like that, because you get caught up doing meaningless quests. They are great for exp, but that's about it. There is lots of story to come, but chapter 2 can be slow if you don't move forward.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2016
    I had a great Grim Dawn session with my brother today. It seems as though the map isn't procedurally generated, unlike the genre's norm. Instead, there are mini-dungeons that are randomly generated, but they're "roguelike" in that you can't escape and if you die you get booted and maybe lose your loot too. We discovered the first roguelike mini-dungeon in the game and gave it a shot. The enemies were several levels above us and provided the largest challenge we'd encountered, especially knowing we couldn't afford to die. Then the final boss was so hard he could kill either of us in three or four attacks. We won and called it a day with our inventories full of loot.

We've honed our builds more. I dish out a massive amount of damage with Demolitionist skills and freeze enemies with Arcanist ones. My brother and his pets soak damage but kill monsters pretty quickly too. This is the most fun I've had in a co-op game since Path of Exile.

I'm making slow progress in Pokemon Moon. I stopped for a while on the 3rd island to look for new party members and give up on ones that weren't evolving. I'm about done with that and am moving on to the next story point. I've already obtained a Cosmog and a Type Null from GTS just to keep for trade bait.

More than those two, I'm playing Stardew Valley every day. I have no real sense of progress, which I suppose is normal in farming RPGs, but I feel like I've maxed out some activities and wish there were more dangling carrots or objectives at the moment.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Hatsune Miku Project DIVA (several different games).
    I did not think I would like this because I don't consider rhythm to be one of my favorite game genres. I could not have been more wrong.
    The best one I've played thus far is Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd (PSP); I would give it 5 stars because there's no way to improve on the game. I mean, they tried to improve on it on later entries, but those "improvements" didn't make the game better, it was either slightly worse or kinda the same. Alright, what's so good about it?

* Large skill curve, from very easy to very hard. In Project Diva 2nd the skill cap is a little higher thanks to a new control scheme.
    * Weird design decision - to have non-fixed targets - just works. It puts the music videos front and center.
    * Good song selection. There's tens of thousands of Miku songs and the Sega producers know how to pick out the good ones. For Hatsune Miku Project Diva, there's 36 songs and 33 of these I would consider to be good or better. That's insane. Sturgeon's Law need not apply - mainly because the Sega producers have pre-selected for you the best songs.
    For Hatsune Miku Project Diva, four composers comprise about 70% of the track list. However, these composers are very talented and make different music genres; I wasn't bored.
    * The music videos.
    For Hatsune Miku Project Diva, most of the music videos are of Miku dancing only, which isn't that interesting. Some of music videos were just a slide show of art from the Vocaloid community, but I didn't mind this. Motion capture is used to produce these, and the dances look great, it just that these dancing videos aren't the most interesting ones.
    * The DIVA room feature sucks, but you never have to use it.
    * There's also a ton of costumes called "modules" for the Vocaloids. I guess it has to be included because creating these costumes is a big part of the Vocaloid community. It seems rather pointless to me, though.

And don't play X. A slew of poor decisions make X an awful game.
    * No "story" music videos. All of them this time are the Vocaloids dancing only.
    * Weak tracklist. In both quantity and quality.
    * Grinding and experience points, which are out of place in a rhythm game.

There's an edit mode feature too. You can create a music video and target pattern based on your own music. It seems powerful and difficult to use, which is why I never used it.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Ditch the questing and do some story missions. Open world games can be annoying like that, because you get caught up doing meaningless quests. They are great for exp, but that's about it. There is lots of story to come, but chapter 2 can be slow if you don't move forward.

I wish I could take that stance Mac, but typically I try to experience certain types of games where the bulk of development went into. It doesn't make a lot of sense for me to play an Open World game without actually taking the time to do the sidequests and explore, since I know thats where the lions share of work went into. Its a bit of a double-edged sword with this type of game, because if that aspect blows then you're left wondering why they didn't focus more heavily on other endeavors instead. The whole idea is kind of a large topic in general and I've enjoyed these elements in other games, albeit rarely, so I'd rather stick to FF15 here.

Right now I'm exploring the section of the map called Duscae I think, and still nothing has really grabbed me thus far. I can't help but feel that not watching that movie or any previous videos has really hampered my understanding of the games lore and characters. Its all just completely meaningless right now because there has been no build up of these figures. I mean, I know a lot more about Cindy and some random NPC quest-giver guys right now than I understand about the political strife and central players in this tale, and thats a big, big problem. The world continues to hold my interest just barely based off aesthetics alone. Exploring really hasn't yielded anything super fun, and surprisingly there aren't very many battles that I've come across in this game. The more I fight though the more I'm enjoying the battle system. Its taken quite a few battles to start to grasp the underlying movements of weapons, enemies, and allies, and I have high hopes that it will continue to grow on me. Sadly I had to stop playing because of a strange glitch, as Ignis was driving he accidentally crashed into a sign, and then repeatedly said "Lets try this again" or something and continued to slam into it over and over, with no way of escape. Its been the third time I've had to restart the game already, which is pretty bad compared to the amount of bugs or glitches I get in other games. Thankfully this one was funny, and theres something to be said for the humor in this game, even if its not always intended. The bizarre photos, character movements, places to sit down, just all kinds of stuff really, has led to a general fun atmosphere while playing.

Where I'm sitting now, I feel like 15 has enormous unrealized potential. This game could be absolutely stellar with a tighter narrative focus and a slimmed down but ripe overworld to explore. Theres some really breathtaking moments sprinkled in that give me hope I'm still in some kind of tutorial phase and things will kick into high gear later on.
    I see where you are coming from, but being in chapter 2 and only doing side quests doesn't give access to a lot of story. You can progress both in this game for better balance.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    So, I need to play more video games again and not just Overwatch when I am tired. Anywho, I just finished all five episodes of Tales from the Borderlands, which omg, PLAY IT. I have never laughed so hard, and I loved this cast of characters. Gortys is love.

Anywho, I got back into playing Fallout 4 again and finally got Valentine. I am only level 10 and I managed to wander into areas that were way too high level-wise for me, so I think I'm just going to keep noodling around the wastes and seeing if I can make some progress.

Around bedtime when I am basically keeling over and watching iZombie, I have been playing both Harvest Moon: Skytree Village (still working on the fourth skytree and hoping to get past that soon) and Pokemon Moon, where I am trying to beat the fire trial and totally do not have any good Pokemon to beat it with. May need to do some grinding, trading or just see if I can catch some better mons before making the attempt again. REALLY loving the game though and liking all the changes its made to make Pokemon feel fresh again.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    Mercenaries Saga 2 reminds me so much of Vandal Hearts and I love it! A great tactical RPG. Looking forward to playing Mercenaries Saga 3 afterwards.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Mercenaries Saga 2 reminds me so much of Vandal Hearts and I love it! A great tactical RPG. Looking forward to playing Mercenaries Saga 3 afterwards.
    Ditto on this. I'm working through MS2, as well...and, yeah, it's super cute and fun. You get a lot of SRPG goodness for $5 here.

Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Been trying to get through Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (PS4) before the new year. It's not bad, but nothing particulary great about it either. The lack of fast travel is annoying. Especially after they give it to you briefly only to immediately take it away again. The side stuff that you get from revisiting places is not at all worth the effort of having to traipse through the fields again and again. Combat is fine but I don't like the lack of responsiveness in it, nowhere near the combat of The Last Hope and less fun than most Tales games. Story is just about alright.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Vita) is bad, however. Overall gameplay just about makes it bearable. Party AI is poor, only one of three "attack" commands actually seems to result in them doing anything, which they'll do once and then go back to circling around the enemy doing naff all else (with a 30-second cooldown on that command). The one thing it is at least half-decent at is healing. It attempts to give you the feeling of being in a MMO, but for some reason they've chosen a really bad one to emulate. The world is completely generic, nothing remotely interesting about it. Outside of the main "storyline" (what little there actually is of it) it just gives you endless amount of collect X item or kill X things. And all the characters are all annoyingly saccharine doing nothing other than fawning over the "perfect" main character.

Fortunately, it's not all mediocre/terrible. I am not in part 2 of act 2 of Trails of Cold Steel II (Vita), which remains as excellent as ever. Also I've been playing some of an early preview build for Expeditions: Viking (PC), aim to have more details on that soonish.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    Hey Severin keep us updated on Trails of Cold Steel. I'm finally bringing myself to play the first game and I'm really enjoying it. I tried playing Trails in the Sky when it came out and never got too far so I know I'm missing out on some of the connections as far as backstory goes. Regardless when I found out there was a sequel it spurred me to get back into the first one. I really need a new RPG series to get into because I haven't been finishing games for sooooo long. I just need one great completion to make me go back and finish additional titles.