If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's Best of 2017 Awards

13»

Comments

• OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    edited February 2018
    Seriously, if the award of RPG of the Decade goes to any of those games, this site will lose credibility with me.

Actually, I am somewhat enjoying Salt and Sanctuary since it's 2-D and you don't have to deal with things in the Souls games such as the camera.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    Seriously, if the award of RPG of the Decade goes to any of those games, this site will lose credibility with me.

Actually, I am somewhat enjoying Salt and Sanctuary since it's 2-D and you don't have to deal with things in the Souls games such as the camera.

Dark souls would absolutely be a good fit for a game of the decade, and most people would see that as very credible choice. So what game would need to be picked to keep credibility in your eyes?
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I get not liking a game. Kinda like how I hate Kingdom Hearts, but I get why others like it. If a Souls game winning something causes me or the site to lose credibility, I'm not going to lose sleep over that. Especially since I really haven't heard any solid reason as to why they aren't good beyond "I don't like them" or "the camera". There are plenty of reasons not to like those games, but I've yet to hear any of them.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2018
    I'm not a fan of the Souls games, but A) I recognize that I'm in the minority on that and I understand that lots of other people like them and B ) I certainly wouldn't argue that they haven't had a large impact on gaming the last few years. It seems like Souls is going to have an influence on gaming for years to come. I remain hopeful that some other dev takes those ideas and packages them in a way that clicks with me.
    My biggest problem with Souls games is the people that are out there screaming about how hard they are (they really aren't as hard as marketing would have you believe) and the fans that scream that you have to "git gud" when you talk about them. I've found plenty of helpful people, but they aren't as loud as the annoying ones. The Souls games just take a different play style than most people want to approach them with and when that doesn't work or when they die a lot, they think "this sucks, it's too hard". You don't have to git gud, just let someone else help guide you. Much like Monster Hunter: World seems to be doing for people now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Not to completely derail into Souls talk, but my biggest problem with the Souls games and Bloodborne isn't the combat, but the art style. After spending a couple of hours playing them, I just have no interest in spending more time in that world. That just happens sometimes for me with games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    edited February 2018
    I haven't played a Souls game, but the talking up of the difficulty paired with the idea that people can come into your game and kill you really turned me off from it. I don't like that concept at all. Furthermore, since it seems like the main draw of the Souls games actually is the difficulty level, it just holds no appeal for me. I appreciate it when a game isn't a complete cake walk, but I don't want it to be frustratingly difficult either and I'm never going to like a game solely on the grounds of the level of challenge it offers. So if it doesn't have more to it than that, I'm not interested. If it does have more to it, chalk it up to poor advertising/buzz, because all I ever hear about is the difficulty and it kills my interest.

As far as having an impact on gaming, that can be an undeniable fact, but the value of such impact is debatable. I would argue that the impact of particular games on the industry can have negative value and in some cases has. I'd rather have a game that's just unlikeable than an unlikeable game that influences the industry to the point that most games are adopting unlikeable features from it and crowding out games of the type I used to enjoy. I believe this happened in the early PS2 era a lot with, for example, the abolishment of the world map in RPGs. Not saying all RPGs need a world map, but I think it's almost complete absence from the games of that era was a negative. Is there a particular game to lay the blame on for that though? I'm not sure. Maybe FFX? So maybe that's not the clearest example, but point is the RPG zeitgeist of a decade is not objectively good even if there is a game that objectively set up that framework. (By the way I realize that this could be read to suggest I think FFX is an "unlikeable game," which isn't true, but it did depart from features of the PSX era games in some areas that I believe were for the worse).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    I haven't played a Souls game, but the talking up of the difficulty paired with the idea that people can come into your game and kill you really turned me off from it. I don't like that concept at all. Furthermore, since it seems like the main draw of the Souls games actually is the difficulty level, it just holds no appeal for me. I appreciate it when a game isn't a complete cake walk, but I don't want it to be frustratingly difficult either and I'm never going to like a game solely on the grounds of the level of challenge it offers. So if it doesn't have more to it than that, I'm not interested. If it does have more to it, chalk it up to poor advertising/buzz, because all I ever hear about is the difficulty and it kills my interest.

Yes, the biggest problem with the game is the "die die die" marketing buzz. Yes, the point of the game is you will die a lot, but that's not because it is OMGSOHARD, but yeah, the marketing around the game sure makes it seem that way. Believe me, I'm Mr. Easy St. If a game has easy mode, I will play it. I still play Souls games, because they offer way more than OMGSOHARD.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    I don't go that far. I usually select normal mode and only go for easy mode if the game's difficulty starts frustrating me too much (that can be an issue if you can't switch difficulty while playing). Like with SMT IV. Medusa and the other guy were just too difficult on normal, so I switched to easy. Problem is, the game is too hard on normal and too easy on easy. Pair that with the fact that I didn't really care for the more open world seeming aspect following those bosses and I never finished that game.
  • OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    I always play games on the easiest difficulty since gameplay flaws tend to be far more apparent on higher challenge settings. Playing a game in my opinion should never be a chore.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    I always play games on the easiest difficulty since gameplay flaws tend to be far more apparent on higher challenge settings. Playing a game in my opinion should never be a chore.

I’m not trying to attack you, but I really am curious as to which games you think deserve game of the decade, since you think the three or so mentioned aren’t credible.
    Let's take this over here: RPG of the Decade (so far) Talk
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Saying that dying a lot is "the point of a Souls game" seems unfair, just like it would hardly be fair to call grinding the point of any other given RPG.
  • minneyarminneyar Member Full Members
    edited February 2018
    I was not expecting Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth to get any recognition at all, but I'm glad it did. It was honestly my favorite game of 2017 -- and I also played NieR: Automata, Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, Ys VIII, and Xenoblade 2, among others. The story, writing, gameplay, and music were all fantastic. The worst part about it is that you need to be have watched or played through the original Utawarerumono and have played Mask of Deception in order for it to make any sense at all, and while those are both good, they're not great. I can easily see how somebody would get bored in the middle of MoD and give up on it, and that's a shame. If you found the first two entries in the series to be enjoyable at all, it is worth pushing through the slow parts of MoD in order to experience MoT.
    SquiggyLeo wrote: »
    Saying that dying a lot is "the point of a Souls game" seems unfair, just like it would hardly be fair to call grinding the point of any other given RPG.

Hitting yourself is the point of FF2. I'm pretty sure about this because that's all I ever saw of the game.
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    I'm shocked. No Kemco RPGs on the Worst awards list?
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    And for any of the Kemco games that really ARE bad, no one played them.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm