If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 67: Tales of Yakuza - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest, your hosts can't help but blab about Monster Hunter and Yakuza. We also discuss the future of the Switch and 3DS.

Episode 67: Tales of Yakuza - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited March 2018
    Do you feel there is a strong appeal to the idea that in RPG characters often live by the moment and don't have to worry about careers and day to day employment? Without any of the stress not being able to do that causes?

Also, what do you think about so many rpgs characters having no family? Do you think there was a reason for this mechanic? What about the amnesia trope that also appeared a handful of times? (Like most questions I ask I have theories, just like to hear the groups)
    edited March 2018
    I would say happy ni no kuni 2 release, but David said someone thing about his tv and Michael doesn't have a PS4(even though I know he has played the original on the ds) And im not sure if Wheels is getting it. Hopefully ill have a big chunk of the game completed by the time the next episode is released.
    edited March 2018
    Dracula and Frankenstein & monster, the jabberwacky from Alice through the looking glass, hunchback of Norte dame some how goes to England, all form a motley gang to solve the Jack the Ripper mystery- which ends up involving time machines from hg wells and many jrpg type romps with aliens in early sci-fi tradition being the culprit.

I could imagine a crackling dr Frankenstein hitting the monster with electricity during an ultimate move the faster you mashed the buttons, making the monster power up and swing at enemies.

Have you ever thought about the concept of destiny in an rpg? No not the destiny wheels loves, but how the character is chose by fate to do something. Even without the main character being a chose one type, the player themselves knows their mission will be a success if they play it long enough, so it can take on the form of this is these character fate.

Bonus question, is the concept of destiny actually in the destiny games, or is just something they thought sounded cool?
    edited March 2018
    We all know about series that are really popular in Japan smaller in the west. Instead, what are some games that are mid/small but unknown in the west.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    Since you overlooked this, or I posted to late in last episode's thread, I'll repost this in reference to Episode 66:

Near as I can tell, Acquire is the only developer (other than apparently Square Enix itself) working on Octopath Traveler. It's the producers that are shared between the Bravely games and Octopath; Tomoya Asano and Masashi Takahashi.

Question: I've heard people compare between Octopath Traveler and SaGa on a few occasions. Is it just the "pick one character and follow their story" thing, or is there more to it? I haven't played a SaGa game yet, so I don't really know.

Possible Code Name STEAM sequel characters: Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, maybe Huckleberry Finn to complement Tom Sawyer, the time traveler from The Time Machine, Buck from Call of the Wild (yes, the dog), one of the three Musketeers (maybe d'Artagnan) , and Calamity Jane (she was a real person, but many of her exploits are probably more legend than fact). I was considering Edmund Dantes/the Count from the Count of Monte Cristo and Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but their morally ambiguous character might lead them to be antagonists, at least to start with. If they were to stick with Lovecraft-inspired creatures for this sequel, Wilbur Whateley from the Dunwhich Horror could be the main villain.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs