If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Quest XI Hits PS4, PC in September

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
PS4 and PC RPGamers will be pleased to learn that Dragon Quest XI now has a release date for North America and Europe. Those hoping to play on 3DS will be rather less pleased.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Can't say I'm going to avoid it, but I'm not in a big rush to play this on a non portable system. Oh well, I can wait on the Switch version.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    I'm not a big DQ fan, and there are some issues design-wise, but I do like the Toriyama style and the NES-like sound effects design. I can understand how this would appeal to the DQ fans since it looks to be a continuation of the orig. trig., but I can also see it frustrating people who are expecting an open-world RPG and a more action-based combat system.
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther technically on-topic Full Members
    that I'm not worried about I ended up buying a import 3DS way before the american version of DQ7 got released so for me I'm not screwed with playing the 3DS version other then that its in Japanese only but yes the only out of japan version will be PS4/PC only.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Well, this sort of sucks for me. My roommate and I have been stockpiling the series for the last few years, and I was finally going to get started playing them with DQXI and then work my way backwards. Since the other nine games are handheld, I am going to be waiting for the Switch version. Hope that's coming in 2019.
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    Well, I'm excited, even though it's going to take 14 months to come over here.
  • TheMooseTheMoose Member Full Members
    After Square Enix released Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest 11 in Japan, but not worldwide, I'm a little disappointed at Square Enix for leaving us out, meaning we won't have an opportunity to switch platforms between PS4 and Nintendo 3DS versions through a password system like the Japanese counterpart.

Even disappointing that Square Enix didn't give us an explanation as to why North Americans won't have an opportunity to play the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest 11.

Can't wait for the PS4 version of the game, but still disappointed that I won't switch platforms.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    edited March 2018
    I'm kind of surprise, even though others here predicted it. I guess Square Enix assumes that westerners are more graphics whores so they decided it would be best to only release the PS4 version. Perhaps they also decided that, since DQ doesn't sell as well in the west as in Japan, it wouldn't be worth the cost of two localization efforts potentially splitting the sales. I'm sure some people would only buy it if the DS version were released, but they probably figured most people who are going to buy it would buy one of the versions either way, so that releasing both would only provide a marginal increase in sales and mostly have the effect of reducing the sales of either version alone (i.e. most sales of the DS version would just be one less sale for the PS4 version).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    Guess I'm one of the few that thinks this is good news. Now, where is DQ10 and DQ9 on PS4? (Yeah, right.) Not to mention I still haven't played my PS2 copy of DQ8.
    Which part is the good news? That it's coming for PS4? I already assumed this. That it has a release date set for September? I guess it's nice to know, but I had hoped it would be earlier. That it's not being localized for the 3DS? I wasn't planning on getting the 3DS version anyway, but I'm not so sadistic as to consider news that disappoints others and doesn't affect me to be good.
    Which part is the good news? That it's coming for PS4? I already assumed this. That it has a release date set for September? I guess it's nice to know, but I had hoped it would be earlier. That it's not being localized for the 3DS? I wasn't planning on getting the 3DS version anyway, but I'm not so sadistic as to consider news that disappoints others and doesn't affect me to be good.

The good news that I won't have to get chronic neck pain from staring at a tiny screen. You sound pretty angry about this. This is really the only website I check for any RPG news. I don't run through 800 sites looking for info on upcoming games. I either find mention of it here or I'm pleasantly surprised when it pops up in the PlayStation or Xbox store.

In terms of which console/handheld it is or isn't available on I'll always take the home console version over portable. In fact I use a cable to put my PSP on my 55' TV so I can see it better. Now, if only DS, 3DS and Vita did the same.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    PSTV = Vita to TV
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    UltraKev9 wrote: »

The good news that I won't have to get chronic neck pain from staring at a tiny screen. You sound pretty angry about this. This is really the only website I check for any RPG news. I don't run through 800 sites looking for info on upcoming games. I either find mention of it here or I'm pleasantly surprised when it pops up in the PlayStation or Xbox store.

In terms of which console/handheld it is or isn't available on I'll always take the home console version over portable. In fact I use a cable to put my PSP on my 55' TV so I can see it better. Now, if only DS, 3DS and Vita did the same.

Okay, cool. I'm not down on you for wanting the PS4 version. That's the one I want too. I'm just putting perspective on the idea that no one else sees this as good news. Even though the news story is nominally about the PS4 release announcement, I don't think a PS4 release came as a surprise to many people, so the focus of the response is obviously going to be on what they're not doing rather than what we already assumed they were doing.
    I never even realized they were making a DQ11. I went back last night through the art on the various platforms. Looks like two or three different games. Seems like the PS4 version is the one the designers want to make and the others are just appeasements for the handheld crowd. This is too bad. I hope the screenshots are not indicative of what people may miss because the 3DS is nowhere near as powerful as the PS4. The versions should be the same except for graphics fidelity.

Unless I'm wrong, that's what I saw through a couple dozen pics.
    edited March 2018
    Yeah. The 3DS version is done in a completely different style with chibi type characters (I think it also has a screen in 8bit style or something .. it's either the other screen or there's an 8bit option). That's probably the main reason I prefer PS4 version. I actually like to play games on a portable system because I just feel like it gives me more freedom than having to be on the couch in front of my TV. I'm not going to hold out for a Switch version that might not even come though. Besides the visuals on this PS4 release look amazing. I can't help but wonder if the Switch version will lower the visual quality somewhat.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2018
    I'm personally not surprised by the lack of a 3DS release; Square seems to be doing this one and I can't see them supporting it this late in the life cycle. My hope for the Switch version is that it's some sort of hybrid with PS4 style graphics docked and the retro pixel-art in handheld. I hope that's why the port is taking so long and not just something boring like Unreal engine not running well on Switch.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I still think it will come to 3ds here.
    jscarpe wrote: »
    I'm personally not surprised by the lack of a 3DS release; Square seems to be doing this one and I can't see them supporting it this late in the life cycle. My hope for the Switch version is that it's some sort of hybrid with PS4 style graphics docked and the retro pixel-art in handheld..

That idea is kind of cool, but would actually turn me off of the Switch version more. I almost exclusively use the Switch as a portable system, and would prefer to play the game with modern graphics. Well, I'll probably get the PS4 version before we even know if the Switch version will be released here. I mean it doesn't even have a release date in Japan yet, right?
    Budai wrote: »

You think Nintendo will publish it?

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2018
    While I don't think Nintendo publishing the 3DS version is likely, it's the only way it would be coming over here. They're practically guaranteed to be publishing the Switch version outside of Japan. Nintendo has been publishing most Square Enix games released on Nintendo platforms in recent years (with the apparent exception of Final Fantasy games). Nintendo is even publishing The World Ends with You: Final Remix despite the original DS game being published by SE in the west.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Most of the DQ remakes outside of 4 and 5 were done by Nintendo
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    jscarpe wrote: »
    I'm personally not surprised by the lack of a 3DS release; Square seems to be doing this one and I can't see them supporting it this late in the life cycle. My hope for the Switch version is that it's some sort of hybrid with PS4 style graphics docked and the retro pixel-art in handheld..

That idea is kind of cool, but would actually turn me off of the Switch version more. I almost exclusively use the Switch as a portable system, and would prefer to play the game with modern graphics. Well, I'll probably get the PS4 version before we even know if the Switch version will be released here. I mean it doesn't even have a release date in Japan yet, right?
    Budai wrote: »

You think Nintendo will publish it?

I'm probably wrong, it just sounded like something positive to type so I did lol
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    edited March 2018
    It's not a crazy idea (that Nintendo would offer to publish it). However, it will only happen depending on if they see the PS4 and PC pre-order/pre-sales numbers ((or most likely Switch numbers whenever that happens, and assuming the 3DS is still being supported. -ed)) and decide that there's enough reason to allocate time and resources to it.
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor
  • OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    It coming out on PC is the best gaming news I've heard so far this year. My PS4 got stolen last year and I hadn't bothered to replace it because there weren't any games I really wanted to play to justify buying it again. I never got to finish FF15, so between that now coming out on PC, and now DQ11, I'm really not feeling any strong inclination to buy a PS4 again.

I hate to sound like the "PC Master Race" guy, but I really feel like consoles hold back the genre as a whole since their hardware is more or less obsolete by the time it's released. I really don't like the business model of releasing ".5" versions of a current gen console either and still charge full price, or more, of the original console, just to try to keep up with technology changes. At least with a PC, my hardware configuration will be good enough for several years. (I got 8 years out of my i5 2nd gen CPU)
    edited April 2018
    Obsolete? We don't even need new consoles at this point. It's just a BS business model. The fact of the matter is that the genre would do just fine if we were still on the PS3 or even, to some extent, PS2. The visual improvements made over the past couple generations have been marginal. At this point it's far more about design than actually graphical capabilities if it wasn't always. Besides, PCs become as "obsolete" as the consoles unless you replace the parts, which can often be as expensive or more expensive than buying a console anyway. I don't think it's fair to complain about having to buy both a console and the ".5" version of the console (you really, really don't anyway) when you're probably spending as much as the sum of the two on a good gaming PC anyway.

Moreover, if you are getting it cheaper than that, it's probably because you're assembling your own PC. The vast majority of people won't do that and don't have the skills to do that. So yeah, it does really sound "PC Master race" to suggest that making the genre accessible to more gamers is holding it back.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Orophin wrote: »
    It coming out on PC is the best gaming news I've heard so far this year. My PS4 got stolen last year and I hadn't bothered to replace it because there weren't any games I really wanted to play to justify buying it again. I never got to finish FF15, so between that now coming out on PC, and now DQ11, I'm really not feeling any strong inclination to buy a PS4 again.

I hate to sound like the "PC Master Race" guy, but I really feel like consoles hold back the genre as a whole since their hardware is more or less obsolete by the time it's released. I really don't like the business model of releasing ".5" versions of a current gen console either and still charge full price, or more, of the original console, just to try to keep up with technology changes. At least with a PC, my hardware configuration will be good enough for several years. (I got 8 years out of my i5 2nd gen CPU)

Not being on absolute high end PCs is holding the genre back? Back from doing what exactly?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif