If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Chrono Trigger on Steam to Receive Patches

ScionScion RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited April 2018 in Latest Updates
Released on Steam in late February, Chrono Trigger did not receive the time and attention many would think it deserves. To make up for it, Square Enix briefly outlines a plan for future support and development.

[Story]

Comments

• ShonaSoFShonaSoF Full Members
    edited April 2018
    There's nothing wrong with the idea of making a high resolution port of an older 2D game. The PSP versions of Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 4 are stunning. However the mobile/steam ports of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 5 & 6 look awful because of the way they they are displayed by the game's core engine.

Filtering the art is fine as a quick-and-dirty method of creating higher resolution sprites and tiles, but they only went halfway and don't filter the edges of the tiles where they meet. All these blended, soft filtered map tiles look alright, but then you have the tile edges being razor-sharp, creating a checkerboard effect that's grating on the eyes.

The Final Fantasy titles are even worse as they stretch the screen horizontally and add a nasty bilinear filtering effect. (for a good technical breakdown, look here: http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

I'm glad that Square-Enix wants to try and fix Chrono Trigger, but let's see some love for Final Fantasy 5 & 6 as well. All three of these games are legendary and deserve better than they've been given.

And while we're at it, can we please have the Final Fantasy 4 PSP version on Steam? As it stands now, chunky low fidelity polygons from the DS in HD is probably not the best way to show off one of the most popular RPGs of all time.
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    ShonaSoF wrote: »
    Filtering the art is fine as a quick-and-dirty method of creating higher resolution sprites and tiles, but they only went halfway and don't filter the edges of the tiles where they meet. All these blended, soft filtered map tiles look alright, but then you have the tile edges being razor-sharp, creating a checkerboard effect that's grating on the eyes.

The Final Fantasy titles are even worse as they stretch the screen horizontally and add a nasty bilinear filtering effect. (for a good technical breakdown, look here: http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

Whenever I described it to people in person, I was referring to it to it as choppy, jaggy, blurry, or just plain gross smudge effect. This technical description helps a lot. Thank you!
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor
  • SlimeknightSlimeknight New Member Full Members
    I wish they would put the Super Famicom versions of Dragon Quest 5 and Dragon Quest 6 translated of course on steam. Those are among my favorite games. Leave the games as they looked on Super Famicom.