If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 69: Legend Ranked - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited April 2018 in Latest Updates
This week in Q&A Quest, Wheels finally hits legend rank in Hearthstone and may finally stop annoying everyone by blabbing about the game. We also discuss games that we are shocked got sequels, plus some Tales discussion.

Episode 69: Legend Ranked - Q&A Quest

Link to Gaijin's book: Princesses of the Pizza Parlor
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    edited April 2018
    Good talks this week. Wall of text incoming! Question at the end.

Shining Force- simple world exploration, but streamlined! I could go for more detailed exploration, however. If they did manage to bring back SFIV via Camelot, then I'd hope they'd make world exploration more satisfying than just wandering around before/after a battle and opening chests. I was secretly always hoping for more in-depth world exploration. Shining Force was my first SRPG/TRPG, and still my favorite despite it's flaws and the nostalgia factor.

Also, side note: Why is it that Robert E. Howard was coming up recently again? I ran into news about his life recently, but I can't remember which site it was on. Specifically about his mental health issues, and connection to Lovecraft. "The punchline is racism" ... well, yes, most things from the 30s, sadly.

Now let's discuss Bravely Default.

What Ninty should really do is make an N64 Mini next, and actually manufacture enough units to distribute at retail this time unlike the SNES Mini.

The new Atari console should really let developers in on it and make new Atari 2600 games. What they're missing out on is all the new homebrew games. It's a real shame. One of the largest shames of 2018 really. I mean seriously, come on Atari (Codemasters). What are you thinking? Even SEGA is supporting modding of their old Genesis games on Steam Workshop. I can't give a huge enough face-palm.gif for this. I'm seeing an untapped potential for new 2600 games (see Batari BASIC) and especially low-fi RPGs. At this rate it's going to end up like another Ouya and flop, and I would really hate to see that.

Snake Man's level. Yes! Search Man, I can't really recall that much but I didn't play 8 as much as 1-6.
    I liked Top Man's level a lot, and maybe Centaur Man as a close 2nd.

Question for episode 70: If Shining Force IV happened- what would you want or change in it?
    An open question, but you could narrow it down to: Which 1 thing do you think the SF series could improve on so it could be a relevant series again (in the West)?

P.S. Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden II is the weirdest thing to happen to JRPGs. I love living in this era. Also you guys should check out MegaMan Sprite Game 2 (and megaman sprite christmas) if you haven't already. Sorry if this is old news.

Edit: Also lastly, The Tales of series, at this point, should just spin off into a Bandai-Namco subsidiary a la Google/Alphabet, and just release Tales of Games (like they already are) for every platform. It just makes more sense to me this way.
    Let's all pour one out for the 3DS version of DQXI in the West.
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited April 2018
    We get on to Robert e Howard because Gaijin brought up Howard and Conan for code name steam characters for fun, and then I threw that out there.

Why do you feel western developers prefer older characters and Japanese developers younger heroes? Is it more than just target audience?
    edited April 2018
    Do you feel people get caught up to much in "things making sense" vs just allowing things if it's more fun? Or do you think having things like timelines or continuity is a good thing? For instance does it really matter if Bowser always changes sizes with no explanation, or why Mario allows him in an rpg party and plays tennis with him?

A good rpg example would be in ff13 where they said towns don't make sense because the players are on the run. I don't really believe that statement to begin with, but if so, it has never mattered in all the other final fantasies where they on the run. And even if it doesn't make sense, at what point is the line drawn. If a game doesn't make any sense it may become a problem, but sometimes it must be okay?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2018
    btw, here is where you can find Gaijin's book: Princesses of the Pizza Parlor
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    The first three dragon quests were all released a year after each other. Could you imagine a modern scenario where we saw dragon quest 12, 13, and 14 all by 2020? Development has changed so much. Maybe assassins creed was putting out games on that pace.

Do you remember what it was like the first time you saw a gba? I remember thinking a portable snes was all I would ever need. Handhelds were always way behind consoles, but the switch is as close to being on equal terms with the most powerful console. Do you think the next major handheld will be on equal terms?

Now that Nintendo has combined its handheld and console market, is there a future for them where they could split it back into two? It almost seems like once they crossed that line, going back may not work since power gaps are becoming so small.