If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2019 Completed Games List

OmbresOmbres Games horderFull Members
edited February 15 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Welcome to the 2019 Completed Game List thread. Even if I am the only one that will enter in this list, I decided that I want to continue this list, so here it is.

Previous annual lists:
2011 - Corrupted
2012 - Corrupted
2013 - Corrupted

Unfortunately, as you can see, 2011-13 were corrupted by the previous forum data transfer. The culprit is Pokemon. By using the accent "e" in the official title spelling, this caused all the rest of any post with that alt-coding to become lost.

Onto the real matter at hand! The rules for the list are simple, but very important. All games completed in the calendar year of 2019 can be counted for inclusion. Completed-in-2019 is the sole rule. Whatever you want to count as an individual title is up to you. It is your list. I am merely here to help leave a lasting legacy, in case you ever want to remind yourself when you beat a certain game. Please, use this thread to discuss the games you complete with each other, whether said game is a gem or a turd. If you are for some reason lying about completing a game on an online forum, that's your problem, not mine. I operate under the impression that this is done for fun.

Updates to the list will be made at least weekly.

For personal list customization, please highlight or point out any special notes about a playthrough. For example, you may use brackets or bold/italics to point out game difficulty, play time count, completion percentage, et al. I will be happy to include this on your list, but I can only do so if it is fairly obvious in the post. While I do tend to read most posts thoroughly, a remark on game difficulty buried in the middle of the third paragraph (of seven) will most likely slip through the cracks. If you want to have total game hours tracked, I can also include that statistic next to the number of completed games listed next to the your name--just ask for this service in your first post in this thread, and I will track it from there.

Finally, because I am a dirty, fat liar, there is actually a second rule. You must include the system that the game was concluded on. If not, I will count it as "????", and it will be your responsibility to rectify this, not mine.

Games will be listed in the following order (in chronological order; i.e. NES, SNES, N64, etc.):

Systems:
Nintendo Family
Sega Family
PlayStation Family
Xbox Family
PC
Arcade
Other

Handhelds:
Nintendo Family
Game Gear
PlayStation Family
Mobile Platforms (e.g. iPhone)

For digital store games, please list them on the platform you physically beat the game on, but mention that the game came from a specific digital service. For example, if you use PSN to download Final Fantasy VII and beat it on a PSVita, then please list the game as Final Fantasy VII (PSVita) - via PSN. This is also welcome for Steam and other PC-based digital services. I will by no means stress this; this is just a request from yours truly for the sake of formalities.

Now begins the 2019 list:

7thCircle - Games Finished: 3

PS4
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

PC
Slay the Spire

----

Adriaan den Ouden - Games Finished: 3

PS4
God of War
Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix (via Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 bundle)
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (via Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 bundle)

----

Cassandra Ramos - Games Finished: 1

WiiU
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

----

ChickenGod - Games Finished: 4

Switch
Octopath Traveler

PC
Hatsukoi 1/1
Sorcery Jokers
Wargroove

----

DarkRPGMaster - Games Finished: 2

PS4
Onimusha: Warlords (100% Platinum Trophy)
World of Final Fantasy: Maxima

----

Joshua Carpenter - Games Finished: 1

PS4
1979 Revolution: Black Friday

----

Ombres - Games Finished: 10

Switch
Altered Beast (via Sega Genesis Classics)
Bendy and the Ink Machine
Blaster Master (via Nintendo Switch Online)
Fatal Labyrinth (via Sega Genesis Classics)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Shining in the Darkness (via Sega Genesis Classics)
Shining Resonance Refrain
Space Harrier II (via Sega Genesis Classics)

PC
Infested Planet
Mini Metro

----

redwing42 - Games Finished: 2

Switch
Super Mario Bros. (via Nintendo Switch Online)

PS4
Yakuza 0

----

Total number of games finished total in 2019: 26
Total number of people participating in 2019: 8
Average games per person in 2019: 3.25
Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
sig.gif

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    World of Final Fantasy: Maxima (PS4)

A good little add-on for World of Final Fantasy, which added about 10 new monsters, a few new Champions and characters, the ability to become a Champion for battle (which forfeits your ability to summon Champions or Mega Mirages) a brand new ultimate dungeon (only available if you completed the 4 EX dungeons after beating the game), several new super bosses, and a powered up version of the final boss fights. Even a few new cutscenes and a bonus one that seems to set up for a sequel, if we manage to get it. All in all, not bad for a $16 expansion pack.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Shining Resonance Refrain (Switch)
    Infested Planet(PC)
    Fatal Labyrinth (via Sega Genesis Classics)(Switch)
    Altered Beast (via Sega Genesis Classics)(Switch)

I do start the year in force!

thanks again JCServant for the recommandation on infected planet, that was a fun game!

Shining I though I was gonna finish it last year, but I finish it the first of this year. Good game but a lot too much talking, I don't really care that one of the character hate Carrot...
    sig.gif
    edited January 13
    Space Harrier II (via Sega Genesis Classics)(Switch)

well that was hard, but as fun as the first one on sega master :) but now my hand is hurting for clicking so much on the shot button!

as you can see I have lot of fun playing or replying old genesis game :) the save anywhere does help a lot!
    sig.gif
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 13
    Sorcery Jokers (PC) - For awhile now, I've had a very hard time enjoying any game I've tried. They've ranged from mediocre to downright displeasing, which has left me hesitant to trying new stuff and feeling unsatisfied yet again. Thankfully, Sorcery Jokers was that "magical" great game that I've been craving for a very long time now.

Wrote a review for it that ended up being way too long, so I'll try to condense it down to the main points. Sorcery Jokers is a fantastic VN, particularly in the realm of its visuals and character design. Of everything I've played thus far, this one has my favorite artistic design, hands down. Along with Grisaia, this is probably my favorite cast of characters, which are developed well by giving the reader a robust picture of their traits through their own perspective as well as the perspective of others in the game. The story itself is immensely satisfying, with multiple climactic events that are well balanced throughout its telling, leaving a lot of meat on the bone for multiple sections throughout, rather than having to suffer an unbearably slow build up. Overall its become one of my absolute favorite VNs, up there with 999, Chaos;Child, Grisaia, and Danganronpa.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Oh cool, I thought we weren't continuing but I'm glad we are. I've only got one for the moment.

God of War (PS4)
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    Yeah, since I really liked this list, I decided to take over and continue it :)
    sig.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited January 19
    Beat my first game of the year!
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U)

It took me far too long to beat this, but I really enjoyed it. What I probably least like were the long normal battles, especially with the inability to skip or speed up session moves. I generally enjoyed the battle system and the game as a whole. It's good, goofy fun, and the way the two franchises are mashed together in this game is fascinating. I would still take that Switch port, or even a sequel in a heartbeat. Arceus knows if either of those will happen, though.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited January 26
    Octopath Traveler (Switch)

The first console game I've beaten in a long time. I actually enjoyed the vast majority of my time with it, but the game's minor issues started to wane on me toward the end. The overall aesthetics of Octopath from the visuals to the sound were quite a joy to behold, helping immerse the player in the world of the 8 party members. Most of the story introductions were interesting enough to carry me along, and coupled with the excellent turn based combat, I found myself having a blast most of the time. What kept this one from being truly amazing in my opinion was the overly formulaic nature of the game's presentation, and some poor balancing with the equipment/combat/class system that leads to much of the final stages of the game being rather trivial and feeling incredibly dull. Its also very unfortunate that you need all 8 characters to be up to par for the very end of the game, because catching up your stragglers isn't fun in the slightest. I'd love to see a sequel to Octopath that looks to refine things further.
    edited January 27
    Blaster Master(via Nintendo Switch Online)

When I saw that they give me Blaster Master on the nes, I told myself I have to play back this game, it was a lot harder than I remember and a lot that I forgot. But was fun none the least, and I can say that I liked the remaster/remake a lot more
    sig.gif
    Mini Metro (PC)

All stage start very relaxing, even my wife did look at me playing and told me it look boring(it is not) but after 5-6 weeks thing start to get frenzy, you have a lot more going on and some of your station start to overcrowd, that when the stress start, you have to move some of your metro around, manage your line a bit better so none of them are overcrowd.

You can get the basic achievement of all stage without too much problem, the extra achievement in each stage that is where the real challenge is, I manage to do some, but I will have to go back and play some more to get all of them someday.

So it is a fun little puzzle game that starts relax but get you involves quite quickly.
    sig.gif
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Yakuza 0 (PS4)

Wow.
    so it was good?
    sig.gif
    The game play was good, and the story was over the top in all the right ways. So many things to do also, maybe too many. I probably lost 3-4 hours just playing mahjong. Not for any story or completion purposes, but just because I wanted to play.
    That nice, having fun in a game within a game :)
    sig.gif
    Super Mario Bros. (Switch via NSO)

I'm not sure if I have ever beaten this game before. I did so here without warp pipes and with a liberal usage of the save point system. 7-4 is terrible. That's all.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix (PS4) as part of the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 bundle.

I'm honestly impressed how well this game holds up after 17 years. It was a lot of fun, if somewhat frustrating at times. It's definitely rough around the edges in places, and that final series of boss fights is absolutely stupid.

On to Chain of Memories!
    Bendy and the Ink Machine (Switch)

Was a nice little horror/puzzle game, nothing extraordinary, was playing a bit too much on jump scare but some of the boss fight were interesting.
    sig.gif
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)

having fun with this one with my wife, so we beat all races and receive the credit, but I am far from done with this one :)
    sig.gif
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Onimusha: Warlords (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

A good blast from the past, but sadly the only quality of life change it got was being able to use the analog stick instead of the d-pad to move. It didn't get the Genma version additions, nor anything else really different from the original. If you're a fan of Onimusha, pick this up. If not...well, up to you.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (PS4), part of that KH 1.5 & 2.5 bundle thingy again. I'm really not a fan of the battle system, and the later bosses are frustrating as hell, but the story was actually really good. One of the few KH games where the Disney stuff takes a backseat to the original story, and it actually works. The Disney worlds were are really meh in this game, but the main story was really well crafted and paced. That was a big surprise for me.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    1979 Revolution: Black Friday (PS4) - A Telltale inspired game through and through with plenty of rough edges but an incredibly impactful story. Really enjoyed it.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 11
    I finished Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (PS4) a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it, though the decision to roll the credits 2/3 of the way through the game so people can feel like they finished it without touching the grindy third act came across to me as an acknowledgement that the game was too long and the last act was too monotonous. It wasn't one of my top games of the year, but it was fun and I'm cool with it getting RPGamer's GOTY.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PS4) piqued my interest, but not enough to get it. My brother, who rarely finishes long games, got it for Christmas, played it for 100 hours, and said it was his favorite game since Fallout 3, so I had to try it. It's visually beautiful, probably the best looking game I've ever played. It's a great open world RPG with too much to do, but at least it has nice mechanics and a fun battle system. If I had a gripe, it would be that it wasn't very well written. Otherwise, a game all fans of open world RPGs should play.

And finally I did a run of Slay the Spire (PC) tonight. My brother pointed this game out to me too, given how much I enjoy deck-building mechanics and games that require some thought. It was just 1 playthrough so I don't want to go too nuts complimenting it, but I had a blast and can't wait to give it another go soon.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Shining in the Darkness (via Sega Genesis Classics)(Switch)

Wow what a throwback it was! Once again, it was a lot harder than I remember it to be, there way to much monster that have an ability that can kill you in one hit.

There is a lot of funny thing that can happen, when you or the monster are confusing, or using the forbidden box can get result that is so random, like a giant foot that come crashing down on the enemies!
    sig.gif
    Is there another series out there that has gone through as many fundamental changes as the Shining series has? Occasionally a first person dungeon crawler (SitD, Shining the Holy Ark), best known as a strategy game (Shining Force), but also they threw in a Zelda clone (Shining Wisdom). Maybe you could say Phantasy Star (PS1/PS2 through 4/PSOnline), but the switch from 1 to 2 was primarily just perspective.
    edited February 14
    Wargroove (PC) - Finished this one in the span of the few days before Etrian Odyssey came out. As an Advance Wars spiritual successor, I thought I'd enjoy this alot more than I did. The main campaign was kinda boring and uninspired. The story and lack of variety was rather ho-hum from what could have been a cool start, and the later maps are so long that just looking at them makes you know you're in it for the long haul, especially when the AI tries as hard as it can to prolong its defeat. The last 2 missions will probably infuriate a lot of people, they are relatively absurd in their ask and only really possible because the AI is laughably bad to compensate just how disadvantaged you are. On the other hand, the customization features in Wargroove are off the charts, and I personally feel like as a multiplayer experience the core gameplay is more fun than Advance Wars is with the critical system. I wish there were lobbies you could search out with random players rather than being put into a 1v1 on a poorly balanced map. Overall I like the game well enough but its release date being next to EO is a tough ask.

Hatsukoi 1/1 (PC) Another VN, this time pretty much a straight romance. I sorta held off on considering this and Wargroove beaten, since I haven't done any of the Arcade in Wargroove and I only did 1 route in Hatsukoi, but I don't think I'll go back for the Arcade and the other routes are going to take forever in Hatsukoi so may as well. Anyways, I picked Maya's route and liked the romance presented here well enough. Unlike Grisaia, Hatsukoi wasn't funny in the slightest, but it does offer a very relaxing set of tunes and atmosphere and avoids alot of the pitfalls of other romance games that I actually came away pretty impressed that I liked it as much as I did, given its not the most spectacular sounding experience on paper. The art style here is vibrant and full of life, which complements this simple yet enjoyable vanilla experience quite well.
    From the top of my head I think the series Summon Night did change too, the first two were action RPG with a lot of crafting, the third one seem to have no crafting and I heard the last one are more of strategy game.
    sig.gif
    My Kingdom Hearts marathon continues! Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix (PS4). Again, part of that bundle.

This game has aged soooooooo well. The controls are near-perfect, and the HD remaster is terrific. They added a lot of content to Final Mix that will make absolutely no sense without having played/watched cutscenes for 358/2 Days and Chain of Memories, though, so be warned.