If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2019 Completed Games List

12346»

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES via Switch) - For some reason, this game wasn't as much fun as I had remembered. Growing up, I got the deluxe version of the NES for Christmas... meaning the first games I had were Duck Hunt and Gyromite (also got Gumshoe and Castlevania at the same time). I didn't own a copy of SMB until many years later, but I still went to stand in line on release day, hoping to get a copy of SMB2 as my first Mario game. We were able to get one, and I really enjoyed the game and did for a long time. It has been at least a decade since I've played it, though, at while I still love the music and art style, the actual game just didn't hold up as much for me.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2019
    Detroit: Become Human (PS4) - Due to the relatively disappointing Beyond: Two Souls and weak marketing for Detroit, I wasn't interested at all when the game initially released. Now, I'm not going to be doubting Quantic Dream's next project. This one was a fantastic experience and I did not expect to enjoy it going in. It starts off strong with these incredible set pieces and keeps the powerful moments going throughout the game. Even lesser aspects, like the awkward way the Androids look in the mirror, and how gameplay is actually serving the whims of others helps build into the overall feel and theme of the title. Admittedly, there are some hiccups with regards to segueways into certain events or particular moments of character growth, but I feel these issues are due to the heavily choice based nature of the game and could have been smoothed over had things chosen to be more cinematic rather giving you the option to see varying outcomes per event. One thing of note that I NEVER praise elsewhere is how good the western subtle soundtrack is in Detroit. This is likely the best use of this style of music I can think of, with much of it greatly enhancing the mood and capturing the emotion of whats going on in a delicate and graceful manner. The visuals in 4K HDR are stunning as well. Even though it wasn't perfect, I'm shocked at how good Detroit was given my initial perception, and I'll be keeping my eye out for whatever Quantic Dream's next game in this style is, thats for sure.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    The Messenger (Switch)

A fun plateformer that can get very hard, but all you need is a bit of patience and a lot of practice! A great throwback to Ninja Gaiden, but oh so different at the same time
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo Switch

Odd, extenuating circumstances prevented me from finishing this game in a more timely manner. It's slower than I would like, and I wish I hadn't played on Normal,, but I really did enjoy my time and want to play the other paths. But first, Pokemon Shield.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited November 2019
    Astral Chain (Switch) - Platinum does it again! Or do they? Thats basically the name of the game here. Honestly, I've enjoyed every Platinum game I've ever played, even though I haven't tried everything they've released yet. Its the same with Astral Chain, I enjoyed the combat in this one quite a bit even if they missed the mark with all the different elements Platinum shoved in here. Its really a shame that they botched some of these things so badly, like scoring players overall based on how they do random minigames without a retry, blocking off areas of the map for exploration, and just in general things that are actually incredibly irritating for what would could have been a stellar action-adventure title. These moments of irritation are likely going to be a cause of ire for many, making them actively dislike the game more than it really deserves, which is a real shame because Astral Chain is a ton of fun to play when the wheels are oiled and turning along smoothly, even though there are plenty of hiccups in between. I went in expecting a Bayonetta or Revengeance type of game, but what Astral Chain delivers is something more along the lines of a story based older DMC with Platinum Combat, collectathon stuff, and a slew of unexpected mini games, which makes for a weird experience. Even after adjusting, I still wished there was more exploration, fighting, and investigating, and less sidequests, minigames, and retreading old ground to collect stuff. Although its a pretty mixed bag, I was able to get the most out of the experience and thoroughly appreciated the combat while the story served its purpose well enough to break up the action. It made for a satisfying rental and getting some use out of my Switch again was nice too. Hopefully a spiritual successor to Astral Chain will get made with a more narrow focus on tightening up the elements that worked.
  • KrullKrull Full Members
    Just knocked off Cat Quest (the original) on iOS. Hmmm... It’s certainly a game. Or is it? Felt like it was one very small step above being a glorified clicker - tap into range of enemy, tap out of range, tap into range, tap out of range... Nevertheless, it has some charm (Cathulu - c’mon!) and the gradual power growth is moderately satisfying. It’s a 2.5 for me, ultimately, but with merit.

On a roll, now! Not sure what my next mobile game will be, but I’ve still got a couple of Switch titles I might knock off before 2020.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2019
    My brother and I finished Borderlands 3 (PS4) tonight. Me as FL4K and him as Zane. This is my favorite Borderlands game and I'm looking forward to replaying it with different characters at some point. Technically, it's a bit of a mess with loading and menu slowdown/glitches. We also managed to break 2 optional quests. I like the direction it took the gameplay and tolerated the technical problems because they didn't occur in combat. One weird thing is there's a seasonal event going on that makes the game slightly harder, and progress much slower. It was cool for a few hours then we wished there was a way to turn it off. No clue why they'd add an event to a brand new game that impacts the pacing of the story and can't be turned off.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Anna's Quest (PC)
    The Outer Worlds (PS4)
    Final Fight (XBLA)
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    While gone on vacation I beat Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES via Switch). This is absolutely my favorite in the series, and has some of the best controls of any NES platformer. World 8 is still not very good, and the game is pretty easy overall, but I once again had a great time with it.
    edited December 2019
    Just beaten The Legend of Zelda: The Link to the Past (SNES via Switch) for the first time. I have vague memories of watching a friend play it back in the Nineties, but this was my first time actually playing it properly myself. Spoiler alert: it’s still really very good. Abused the save states and rewind feature somewhat, but it still took me about 20 hours. No guides ... apart from literally the very end, when I went through multiple refills of magic trying to beat Ganon and trying every weapon and item in the book. Eventually looked it up and found I was missing a crucial weapon. D’oh. After that it was a breeze. Great game.

I also rolled credits on another mobile (iOS) game, Sproggiwood. It’s a proper roguelike, with randomised loot, simultaneous movement, etc, although you can buy permanent perks, like gaining experience faster, and weapons and armour to start each dungeon with. It’s a pretty slight and basic game, with a silly little story about being roped into a building a new civilisation by destroying sentient mushrooms, but I had a lot of fun with it. It’s not as stylish as something Crypt of the Necrodancer, let alone Cadence of Hyrule, but it’s worth a look if you like the genre. Think it’s available on Steam too, if that’s your thing. I beat the main campaign using the basic class, but there’s plenty of replay value with about six different classes, which all have very different perks. A solid 3, maybe even a 3.5.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2019
    I saw Kingdom Come: Deliverance (PC) in my Steam library and was in a patient enough mood to play it. I'd read how 'love it or hate it' it is and figured I'd play it a bit and just quit if it got annoying, but it was hard to put down once I got into it. It seems patches have done wonders since the initial release. I'm impressed with all the time and effort that went into making it, especially compared to other, established companies that raised a whole lot more on Kickstarter and put out games that didn't show the large budget in the finished product.

The issues I had were very minor. Having to bathe more often than I needed to eat or sleep was weird. I don't think medieval Bohemians would yell at people for stinking if they hadn't washed in 12 hours, and it meant no Charisma rolls for me. I didn't like how crime detection worked, but I never do in RPGs. Nor in video games in general. The soft lock on targets in combat when there is more than 1 enemy was something I struggled against and never thought felt right.

There was this one dark side quest that I hope I always remember. At its conclusion, I envisioned in my mind how I wanted the game to show me the fruits of my labor, and it actually had this crazy cutscene that showed how things played out exactly how I wanted and I was laughing harder than I have at a game in a long time. Tears in my eyes. It's the one where Henry 'helps' with an execution.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    I'll update with three more games:

Little Nightmares (PC)
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4)
    The Outer Worlds (PS4)
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    This is cheating really, as the story mode is only a couple of hours or so long, but I've beaten Deus Ex Go (iOS). It's a puzzle game in Square Enix's Go series, following up on Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go. Unlike the previous two, this one actually has a basic story. Not sure how well it captures the source material, as I've not played Deus Ex (bring it to Switch!), but the mechanics are slightly more fiddly and complex than with the Hitman and Lara Croft releases - and I'm not convinced that's a positive. Still, pretty good puzzle design, on the whole. There's more content if you want it, with daily puzzles, etc, but I was happy to walk away after the closing credits.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    I missed putting Afterparty (PS4) here. Beat that back at the beginning of the month!
    Beat the Champion and did the post-game bit with the legendary Pokemon in Pokemon Shield (Nintendo Switch)

These games really could have spent more time baking, but I still enjoyed my time with Shield. I love the new Pokemon and really like what they did with regional forms this generation. I really like how expressive the human characters are and even the Pokemon can be. The Galar region itself is really. cool The music still isn't on par with Gen 5 and 6, but there were are more tracks I enjoy in this game than in Gen 7. The story is ... better than Gen 6, particularly with giving character decent personalities. It's still a bit of a step down from Gen 7. Overall though, still a fun game. :)
    Bravely second...

edited December 2019
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4) - There's really no other way to say it, this game is just wretched. I played it for a couple hours in January and hated it, but felt like playing a cinematic title in December and thought "maybe it just starts off bad". To my surprise, the game actually ended up being worse, but I powered through it because there's still a few things from the reboots that I still found enjoyable, and since I was over my disappointment, it was amusing to laugh at how bad it is. The biggest problem here is that the story and writing is horrendous, some of the worst I've seen in a game in quite some time. Almost nothing in the plot makes sense, and the character interactions are extremely awkward. Unfortunately thats not all, as the gameplay is simply not as tight or well paced as the previous games. Climbing and jumping is more rigid than I remember, and also somewhat buggy. For a game that was billed as being gritty and dark, there's virtually no fighting throughout the journey, and instead you spend the vast majority of your gameplay exploring for endless collectibles and solving tombs that give you practically worthless rewards at the end of them. Given how much of a fan of the original Reboot I am, this is one of the most disappointing games I've played in years. The title truly is fitting, as this is just a Shadow of the previous 2 entries.

Looking over the list, I also forgot to mention along the way that I finished Etrian Odyssey: Nexus (3DS) and Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (PC).
    Well, I beat two more games in 2019 than I did in 2018. That's something, I guess.
    Bravely second...

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Indeed, good job :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif