If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2020 Completed Games List

124»

Comments

• Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthy RPGamer Staff
    At the Tale End (PC) -- Nice little translated freeware anti-RPG about the aftermath of a hero's fight against a Dark Lord. Pretty short at 3-4 hours so not much of a time commitment.

Rena Game (PC) -- Very solid boss battle browser game on itchio that might be of some interest to fans of Higurashi or even people who just want to play something with some fun but challenging boss battles that won't take too much of their time. It's freeware as well so no purchase necessary.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Pong Quest (PC)
    Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (Switch)
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (PS4)
  • KrullKrull Full Members
    edited June 17
    Ori and the Blind Forest (Switch). Didn’t really get the critical acclaim to begin with - it pales in comparison with Hollow Knight, especially when it comes to combat - but this Metroidvania really grew on me. Beat the (charming) main story without really realising it in about 10hrs, but I’ve already gone back to find a few more collectibles and explore an area I thought I’d be visiting for the endgame (but didn’t). I’ve got a few more orbs to get tomorrow before I’ll put it down for good, but I enjoyed this. A good 4/5.

After 7thCircle’s comment, I’m tempted to give FTL a go on iPad, but I’m ready for another RPG again. Just a shorter one than The Witcher III...
    The Council (PS4)
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Breath of Fire II (Switch) (via the Super nes online)

Been a while since I wanted to finish this one, game from this time were another beast, the encounter rate was very high, the last boss was hard but I manage to beat it, for a change the item I accumulate have been useful in the final fight :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Hey Sam Wachter, it seem like we are missing 2 games I did read your "Backloggin’ the Year 2020 Edition – April to June -" and you saying that you finish 25 and I still have 23, do you want to add the two that are missing?
    sig.gif
    Just completed Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch), which I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed. Did everything in the game, including a ridiculously hard side dungeon, in about 20 hours flat, on the heroine difficulty (3rd out of 4 levels), which I would heartily recommend.

Fun story, nice 16-bit style graphics and sound, but the combat and various characters and abilities are what really make it sing. And it’s properly challenging! There’s one side quest (rescue Sue’s son) that I tried to do at about level 37 that absolutely wrecked me for an hour or two - and that was just to get past the monster guarding the dungeon! Must have tried four different party combinations and wiped about eight times before I hit on something that worked. That strategy then made the main story and Cthulhu a cakewalk - and the main story was easier anyway. I don’t think I should have tackled that side quest so early...

As for the ridiculously hard side dungeon? Forget it. I had to look up a strategy in the end after all my heroes kept getting one-shotted, but wanted to make sure I’d seen and done everything. Lovely game. An easy 4, maybe a 4.5.

JRPG July, here I come...
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    And that's a wrap on Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker (3DS)! I did indeed get the Record Breaker ending during the Triangulum arc, easily the best ending.

I maintain that Devil Survivor Overclocked is the better game, particularly in terms of story, but this enhanced 3DS version is still a great game. I really love how more fleshed out the characters are!
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Ombres wrote: »
    Hey Sam Wachter, it seem like we are missing 2 games I did read your "Backloggin’ the Year 2020 Edition – April to June -" and you saying that you finish 25 and I still have 23, do you want to add the two that are missing?

Please do! It is Streets of Rage 4 (PS4) and Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4)! Thanks!
    edited July 2
    Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch)

That was fun, I did manage to beat the Valstrax and open the 10 stars quests and did get the "ending" even it there still a lot more to do single and multi player :) but I did put around 150 hours right now and lot of more time to put in it someday and I also always available to play it with anyone on multi player, I am still only HR 4. But I might put some time into Monster Hunter World before going back and continue this one further... it never ending!

Also I would like to add that is theme song was great too :)

Alliance Alive(3DS)

Been a while since I wanted to finish that one :) Glad I did, was fun.
    sig.gif
    Yakuza 6 (PS4) -- welp, just finished this up with only Kiwami 2 left to play
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited July 7
    Sakura Wars (PS4) - Its been a long time since I last beat a game. Unfortunately, my brand new OLED TV (Less than 6 months old) ended up being defective and crapped out at the end of March. After 2 months of the fighting with the manufacturer to try and service my unit, I gave up and just purchased another brand new OLED. Still fighting with them 3 months in and I haven't even seen a single technician yet. Yeah, 2020 sucks.

You know what doesn't suck though? Sakura Wars. Just finished it on my brand new TV, and I've got to say, I'm glad I picked it as my first game back. Now, one can look at the Sakura Wars PS4 reboot, and probably find many ways to criticize it. However, those who are familiar with So Long, My Love and likely other titles as well know that these games tend to be more than the sum of their parts. Just like its predecessor, Sakura Wars radiates positive vibes and good energy in a way that most other titles simply cannot match. And thats primarily what makes it such a good game! At a time when this sort of positivity is really needed, Sakura Wars arrived at a fitting juncture. There's lots of little things sprinkled throughout the game that brings it to life. The exaggerated and sometimes wacky expressions of the entire cast give it lots of style points, with enough finger pointing to make Phoenix Wright jealous and a cast of fairly colorful characters to boot. I love how easy the game is to play being structured as a visual novel with heavier gameplay elements. This has quickly become my favorite style of video gaming and I'd love to see more games like this in the future. There's more anime cutscenes in here than expected too, which were a pleasant little surprise. The soundtrack does a great job of brightening the mood and adding to the cheer, and since some of these tunes were somewhat familiar to me I'm sure they did a pretty good job on touching upon some nostalgic tracks from past games, too. Oh, and Koi-Koi, that card mini-game? Fantastic, I love it when games like Trails find a way to put something unnecessarily fun in like this just to give you a change of pace. Many of the events in the game are heartwarming to the point of cheesiness, but just like So Long, My Love, I couldn't help but smile for most of it. Interestingly, I think I ended up preferring this cast of characters to the previous one, but there was no one on the par of Gemini Sunrise here, even though you can tell they tried with Sakura. This leads into one of the areas for growth that the Sakura Wars reboot could certainly benefit from. Typically, each girl gets a Chapter dedicated to them in these types of games, but I felt Sakura Wars dropped the ball just a little bit when it came to Hatsuho's Chapter. It just didnt feel like she had one dedicated to her, and there was obviously clear favoritism towards Sakura shown in the storytelling for the whole game. This kind of thing is fine, but if you're going to allow players to choose heroines for special events and stuff, all of them should have their own time in the sun more or less. Going into Sakura Wars, I was also skeptical that the new battle system changing things to action based was not the best idea. While the combat sections of Sakura Wars did end up being servicable, they didn't stand out as particularly well crafted or super fun to play. If you're going to have a system like this, Baldr Sky really does the action-mech combat/VN Hybrid thing better with its comparatively ancient battle system. Given how much I like Utawarerumono, I can't help but feel it would both be easier on the budget and allow the developers to make more spectacular feeling fights with the Tactical element instead, as opposed to reusing a lot of the same assets multiple times to fill the somewhat small number of total battles the game does have. That being said, I wouldn't mind continuing another Action-RPG either with the right enhancements. Overall though, Sakura Wars was a fantastic pick-me-up from what has been an awful slump in general for me. I've got around 7 brand new, unopened games to get to, and this looks to be the start of getting things back on track!
    I really need to go back and finish So long, My love...
    sig.gif
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Finished up two games yesterday by some strange coincidence.

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - Very solid action game. The swinging is good. Storyline decent. VA very strong. Challenge tasks were annoying, especially the drone ones. Will probably delve into the DLC before moving on.

Sunless Sea (Switch) - I put about 45 hours into the Switch version of this game after having at least double that on PC a few years ago. I absolutely adore this game and the setting and the writing. Yes, it does drag some (especially in the late game), and I have played enough that most of the mystery is gone, but that initial combined sense of exploration and dread is just amazing. The Switch is a fantastic way to play this game, as well. I only got the first of multiple victory conditions, so there is still plenty to come back for, though I will take a bit of a break for now.
    I know it’s JRPG July - and I’m playing one of those too! - but I just beat Axiom Verge (Switch). I’m a bit burnt out on Metroidvanias for a while now - but this one was really special. Best one I’ve played since Hollow Knight, and it kept me utterly gripped for 15 hours, with no walkthroughs. Just did some checking to see what I missed, and work out what on Earth was going on with the story - and now realise there is simply no way I would have gotten 100% without a FAQ! Despite that, it’s a fabulous sci-fi adventure - 4.5 for me.
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS Vita)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition (PS4) I replayed the base game, then played the expansions for the first time. It held up superbly in a 2nd playthrough and I loved the expansions.

Hearts of Stone felt like an 8 episode final season for The Witcher series where writers just did whatever they felt like, knowing their time with the setting was at an end. The tone and style were all over the place from episode to episode, Geralt acted out of character regularly to enable the story genres the writers wanted to hit, and I loved everything they did.

Blood & Wine added a new zone that was similar to the base game, only more creative and well thought out. Like the design team had more time to spend on making content and it showed. The best moments and gameplay in the whole thing are probably in this DLC.

Witcher 3 is hands down my favorite game from the 2010s. If I were to rank my favorite video games ever, depending on my mood or whim, it could be #1, #2, or #3, but definitely top 3.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Langrisser I (switch)

Was far easier that the old version on the Genesis(Warsong), but did have fun, I will do the second one sometime soon, but I am curious what the difference in the other path, I manage to finish it through the path B. I did not even get enough point to get anyone to their final upgrade in their tree. I just imagine how easy it would be if I did grind... might look into the challenging mode now!
    sig.gif
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited July 13
    Played Huntdown (Xbox One) couch co-op with my brother today. It's a fast-paced arcade shooter with frequent checkpoints, and boss fights that are short when mistakes aren't made. We died a lot, but had fun because the bosses were all rather basic once we saw their surprises, figured them out, and got our reflexes to do what we needed.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Switch)
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited July 19
    Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4) - Surprised I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet.

Oh boy, where to start with this one? A little background I suppose. Somehow, I managed to stay completely spoiler free all the way until now having seen virtually no material or opinions on the game whatsoever. FF7 is near and dear to me as one of my favorite FFs. I was cautiously optimistic about FF7R, because it seems to be a brilliant business decision that simply MUST succeed for SE. However, I have been extremely down on SE for the past 10 years or so, they've only produced a couple products that I really like, such as 14 and I've more or less completely written them off as a developer whose games I was actually interested in. Maybe that last part has changed now. Starting FF7R, I was blown away with how well the opening sequence of events were with stunning, updated visuals. It was truly one of those rare jaw-dropping moments in gaming for me. As my progress grew, my appreciation for how well cast the voice acting and dialogue was. There are SO many games that cannot get this right with an RPG to save their life, but I was amazed how charming Aerith was, and how Cloud somehow acted exactly like I expected in my head from the PS1 days. Its really the stuff of magic how they managed to capture the essence of these things so elegantly. The updated music worked very well to give me a sense of nostalgia and make certain scenes even more powerful. I could go on for days about how much I liked the core aspect of the storytelling and stylistic aesthetic in this game; how great it was to see an iconic PS1 game get such stellar treatment. If the core of whats to offer here is what they can do for other FFs, like 6, 8, 9, etc? Then SE could probably just sit back for the next 10 years or so and make easy, easy money. There were a couple things that I did not like about 7R, and the most striking of which were the absolutely awful textures that can be found in certain segments of the game, like the doors in the slums. Its so shocking to see SE drop the ball with visuals of all things this badly and still not have it fixed with a patch by now. Its a minor complaint, but the visuals are absolutely a selling point, and they look all the more ugly when contrasted against other good models. Also, I couldn't help but feel that 7R would have benefited more by keeping the turn-based battle system and go the 13 route with somewhat fixed encounters, as thats basically whats already in 7R as it is. The new combat system, while fun, has some sloppy issues, such as never being able to pick your party, the game being on the easy side and locking its hard mode (I can't stand when games do this, please stop.), and the things like Aerial Combat being clunky. Granted, this combat system is miles ahead of 15's in the fun factor, I just know that I would have ultimately liked a revised turn-based battle system much more. SE just isn't Platinum games and this whole idea that every RPG needs to be Action Combat is just the new modern trend just like open world gaming or bust was the thing for years before this. I have to say though that these minor blemishes are things that, for the most part, can be fixed and improved upon if there are, for example, 2 more installments. Blemished textures can be patched, and the current combat system they do have can have more added and be refined over time. Heck, the battles were way more fun towards the end of the game than at the start! Frankly, one of my biggest concerns was that SE would try to insert Crisis Core and Advent Children stuff at every opportunity they could, and I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't an issue. At the end of the day, 99% of my experience with 7R was fantastic and I loved the game. The minor and major improvements were all fantastic, and it was such a blast going through Wall Market and reliving certain fights in HD that 7R will certainly end up being one of the standout games this year for me.

Of course, thats not quite all with FF7R, and for those that wants to read my thoughts on this extremely spoilerific section, here they are:
    Spoiler:
    I had no real idea this was going to be a thing going into 7R, but that ending was certainly not expected. I'm going to be honest here, and say that while I am mostly neutral towards the overall implications, I did not like what SE did with the whole Whisper Harbinger thing. This screams "Meta Ending" by having the player literally fight against unseen forces trying to force "destiny" or in this case "the game's established plot" on the characters and new audience. I actually think this works against SE as it makes 7R require 7 source material and doesn't update it to fully stand on its own as its own game. Honestly, I hate Meta endings as they just come across as something the devs put into the game for themselves, both as a way to "write for one's peers" and as an excuse for SE to go off the beaten path and just do whatever they want at this point because the game could be in alternate timeline. The main reason that I am neutral towards it, for now, is that the liberties SE took with things like Platefall and adding in further foreshadowing to events that are kind of sloppily handled in the original was a fair improvement at making things more coherent IMO. However, again, I still do not trust SE to make a good game. Half the reason I think 7R is as good as it was is BECAUSE they stuck pretty close to their source material. Although SE did prove they did a pretty good job here with little additions, the one big addition they made honestly felt like some Kingdom Hearts BS and they absolutely haven't proven that they can be trusted on creating new original content, IMO. Frankly, I think SE needs to just do more of the same with this game and just drop the whole whisper thing all-together now. Small changes are fine for coherency purposes, and they can even allow some bigger ones to be things that are a choice for the player (like saving Aerith or whatever). I just don't trust them at all to maintain the course though since I've been disappointed so many times now that I feel like the surprise ending is not a good thing and boils down to the developers asking for a bigger pass at creative freedom from the players when that really shouldn't be the goal for a REMAKE of a singular title. Hopefully I'm wrong and its simply an added dramatic ending to keep fans talking that lets you avoid a "bad destiny" where the cast ends up failing to stop Sephiroth.
    edited July 21
    Wild Arms (PS1) -- Finished this for JRPGJuly and will elaborate on my final thoughts in the next update
    Langrisser II (switch)

At first glance there seem to be a lot of more action you can do that will affect the story than the first one, still very easy sadly.

As in the first one, when you have an NPC that work on your side, they annoy me so much! But when I do not need to protect them at least I let them go kill themselves lol
    sig.gif
    Period Cube ~Shackles of Amadeus~ (PS Vita)
    Ever Oasis (3DS)

A fun little action RPG with a town(Oasis) manager
    sig.gif
    edited August 3
    Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS). This little-known hidden gem... Who am I kidding? It was as good as everyone said it was. Pretty much fully justified my finally buying a 3DS in the past year. Loved it - 50hrs well spent!
    Legend of Zelda : Link to the Past(switch) (Via snes)

Been a while since I played that game, that was fun to play it back :)
    sig.gif
  • avensisavensis Full Members
    shadow of the tomb raider. This Tomb Raider is probably one of the best with the reboot.
    Graphically the game is a little killer, Lara and the sets are just amazing.
    Hustle Cat (PC)
    Project Warlock (PS4) -- Will hopefully have the review for this written and posted on the site soon.