If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What's the greatest RPG Story of all-time?

Comments

• MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I have to say FF7. I had so much of that game's plot spoiled to me, not just THE spoiler, but many other important events as well... but it still managed to impact me greatly. I really enjoyed the characters, and I think anyone who says they're "stereotypes" should try looking past their visual appearance and speech patterns to their actual personalities, which I could connect to greatly. Second is definately Xenogears. I finished that game about a week ago and I was just blown away. I loved how the main characters' mission was not to stop some evil empire or something, but to "<span class="spoiler">free humanity from the dismal fate of becoming parts for Deus. That was a pretty original goal.</span>" However, I didn't like how "<span class="spoiler">it wasn't explained why Elly didn't tragically die. That's what happened in the three previous incarnations. I remember I was shocked when I figured out that Elly was probably going to die, judging by what had previously happened, and then she just survived for no apparent reason.</span>"
  • jeppojeppo Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    has anyone noticed similar things between BOF2 and Grandia 2?
    only read on if youve finished, or nearly finished both games,
    "<span class="spoiler">the church is good, no wait, its evil...</span>" and theres something else i cant remember...
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""<span class="spoiler">"the church is good, no wait, its evil..."</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

"<span class="spoiler">same with FFX.......</span>"
  • PerfectSilhouettePerfectSilhouette Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Xenogears. One of the best stories period in my opinion. Krellian is also my favorite villain of all time. He is a very deep character.

"<span class="spoiler">Elly didn't tragically die, but the cycle that had produced Elly was coming to an end. Humanity's role in the resurrection of Deus had been finished by the conclusion of the story. Thus perhaps Elly had stopped being the Mother as her proverbial Children had no more purpose.</span>"
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PerfectSilhouette @ Aug. 19 2002,07:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Xenogears. One of the best stories period in my opinion. Krellian is also my favorite villain of all time. He is a very deep character.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yup
  • coldmaggot666coldmaggot666 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    the best role playing games are ff7 bauldur's gate dark allince and that i wish they made more of its type
    edited August 2002
    There are about a bagillion and a half games like Baulders Gate for the PC.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    Forget BG. Just go play some good old AD&D.

Make your character. Make your stopry. Hell, make everything imaginable and don't be binded to a glowing box.

I dunno about anyone else here, but recently I've just gotten into a Halfling Rogue kinda mood.

19 Dexterity with +2 racial modifier
    10 Strength with -2 racial modifier
    17 Intelligence
    15 Charisma
    12 Wisdom
    11 Constitution

What do you think? It's my character in the newest campaign.

- Lyniad
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    !!!!!!!!!!!!

Earthbound??!?!? I'm not even going to say anything because I know you have a feeling of what I'm going to say.

By far it has to be Xenogears, hands down with a distant second being Final Fantasy VI.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    Xenogears, Xenogears, Xenogears.

All I hear is "Xenogears has the best story EVER!" and "Xenogears is the best game of ALL time!"

And all I can do when I sit and read such things is say to myself, "I concur."

- Lyniad
  • RuinRuin Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    The story, in my eyes, is the primary element of every RPG. If an RPG fails in this department, then it fails, period.

Case in point, Chrono Cross. The story was interesting, but horribly told through lack of graphical representation. This failure over-shadowed the fact that it had one the the best battle systems I've played, not to mention great gameplay and features. It's no surprise, then, why I consider Xenogears the greatest RPG out there. It's ALL about the story....

edited August 2002
    Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Well then, I can't wait to play Xenogears. I have it, just need to finish Suikoden II before I start it since I'm a "one-game-at-a-time" kind of girl.

But what is it about the story that makes it so good? Not just with Xenogears, but with any game. Is it character development? Intricate plot twists? Plausible scenarios? How do you define a good storyline?
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Not everyone likes Xenogears, in fact, judging from the sales in America, most people don't. ?I only have two friends who have even heard of the game. ?I'm telling you this because most people on this board are quite enthusiastic about it so you never hear about its problems.

The thing about Xenogears is that it resembles a book as opposed to an RPG in terms of the amount of character and story development. ?There are a huge number of characters(all the main characters are EXTREMELY well developed), quite a few shocking plot twists, and most importantly, the story takes place on many levels and grows in scope as you progress through the game. ?I think a good storyline is one that keeps you hooked and at the same time surprises and amazes. ?That description certainly fits Xeno's story.

PROS
    -Incredible story to put it simply
    -Excellent character designs
    -Unusual battle system
    -The Gear combat is very unique
    -FMV cutscenes are very nice
    -Fantastic music

CONS
    -Some people get annoyed by the graphics(not me...)
    -Most of the second disc is a joke with no gameplay
    -There are tedious spots where you will have to fight what feels like a hundred random battles to advance the plot
    -Many gamers won't like the game because the plot is too complicated. ?It often forces you to remember small details from 30 hours earlier in the game. ?There are MANY details.

Overall the good outweighs the bad in my opinion. ?Of course, best story doesn't necessarily mean best game, I think most ?people agree.

edited August 2002
    Actually, I heard that Xenogears got good North American sales, even better than the Japanese ones according to some people. And I don't think Xenogears is THAT confusing or detailed - I mean, FF7 seemed much more complex to me. Long after playing it, I still don't comprehend FF7, while I just recently finished Xenogears and I think I understand it pretty well.
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    And I've always been told the reason Xenogears might not be big here is because it's rare. Not as many copies were made, so it's not as available as say, the FF games are. And that's why it's still so expensive, even though it's like 4 years old or something. Truthfully, it wasn't easy to find. I probably called 10 stores before I found one that had it and I live in a huge city! In fact, many of the people I talked to when I called said "Good luck" when I told them I was looking for it.
  • poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    found mine on ebay recently for 25 dollars..
  • Guardian LuciaGuardian Lucia Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Both Lunar games, Lufia 2, Final Fantasy IV, VI, IX, and X, and Asellus' story in SaGa Frontier.
    edited August 2002
    I thought there was only one Asellus...

Maybe FFX's story would be good if the protagonist wasn't the worst video game character I've seen since... well, Wakka.
    edited August 2002
    *facefaults* There is only one Asellus! I put the ' because it was her story! tounge.gif
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Oh about Lunar 2: You should definately try it! The story is really funny at times. And I LOVE lucian and Jean's voice! They sound so sweet... They lure me to sleep. Uh, never mind.

edited August 2002
    I really liked all the characters' voices (except for Zophar's), but, yeah, Lucia's and Jean's were among the best. smile.gif
  • oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    i would have to say as for the best story would have to be FF7&9, 8 was only good int the squall-Rinoa relationship. and phantasy star 2

as for xenogears i have it and i'm playing it and i keep dying at the part where Fei and to minr characters fight that dude with the blue plus sign on his face in that crab-like thingy when your group splits into 3 parties( i know i'm pitiful because that's at the near beginning of the game) i may be able to beat him if i knew what restores gear health in battle. Is there an item or tech. for that pourpose??? or are you just s*** out of luck. if that's the case than that sucks!

• Options
    edited August 2002
    I'm not likely to surprise anyone here...I have to say Xenogears as well! That story really got to me.

I guess FFVII comes at a good second place. Both have really strong storys to tell, but the XG one with it's high-tech theme is slightly more appealing to me...
    edited August 2002
    To heal Gear HP, you can equip gear parts with "Frame HP" in the name(example: "Frame HP 10" cures 10% of HP when used). Once you've equipped them, you can use them in battle through the "Special Options" menu. I hope that helps!
    edited August 2002
    where do you fide "frame HP" . Can you buy it from the old guy(i can't remember his name at the moment), because as soon as i leave the lounge area with Citan it cuts to Fei's sequence at the desert front. ?Do i have to start over confused.gif?
  • OxideOxide Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Lunar:SSSC used to be my favorite. I just got Xenogears 4 days ago, I'm 22 hours into it, and it already kicks Lunar's ass.
    edited August 2002
    Well, I beat that battle easily on my first try with no Frame HPs, but then again, I also easily beat what are considered the two hardest battles in Xenogears, and I think Chrono Cross, which is considered to be ultra-easy, is the hardest game I've ever played, so I'm sort of an enigma. (Whoa, long sentence.)
  • OxideOxide Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    For anyone that wants Xenogears and can order online: ebgames.com has it new in stock for $42.99.
    edited August 2002
    thanx but i still need to know where to buy it.
    Can you buy it that early in the game??