If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Trying to get my Fiance` into RPG's

JCove2010JCove2010 MemberFull Members
edited September 2003 in Role Playing Games
I need a little help from my fellow RPGamers and staff. My fiance` enjoys platform games, and has a negative association with RPG's though she has never played one (except for the classic Zelda, NES). She has told me that she is willing to check one out. My problem is I want to show her a good RPG that won't overwhelm her but will keep her into the RPG world (good story etc.) I don't know which one to start her out on. Any Suggestions? She didn't like Zelda. I've been playing RPG's for years but I'm not sure which one's a newby would enjoy.

-thanks for your help! ?laugh.gif

Comments

• Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Super Mario RPG would be nice. It's not too hard, has a light plot, and it would bring familiar faces from her platformer world.
  • EvaNgeLioNEvaNgeLioN Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I personally think the best one for her would be Kingdom Hearts. I know a lot of girls who would not play many other RPG's until they played it, and then they were willing to try others. I think it is because it is a good game and has familiar characters from Disney, and gives them a little bit of a character intro. from FF's with the cameo appearances of some of those characters.
  • Options
    edited September 2003
    Brave Fencer Musashi or Dark Cloud 2 if you want something newer.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Super Mario RPG.
    Earthbound.
    Wild Arms.
    Guardian's Crusade (Simple and easy)
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Chrono Trigger is a good tool for RPG evangelicals.
  • Jack Van BuraceJack Van Burace Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Try something simple and not to complex maybe Zelda or The Lunar Legends these each have a girl gets taken, boy saves her type storyline. ?Or if you want to jump right in to a complex storyline the has simple controls and such try Wild Arms series or Final Fantasy. ?Finally, Games such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden tend to get more of an expirenced RPG players.

Or at least that's how I see it. ?confused.gif

• The OutsiderThe Outsider Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Threaten to call off the wedding unless she plays your specific choice of game. That should achieve the desired result.
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jack Van Burace @ Sep. 10 2003,20:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Try something simple and not to complex maybe Zelda or The Lunar Legends these each have a girl gets taken, boy saves her type storyline. ?Or if you want to jump right in to a complex storyline the has simple controls and such try Wild Arms series or Final Fantasy. ?Finally, Games such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden tend to get more of an expirenced RPG players.

Or at least that's how I see it. ?confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Suikoden...experienced RPGamers? I don't see it. In fact that's the one I was going to suggest...that being Suikoden II.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jack Van Burace @ Sep. 10 2003,20:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Try something simple and not to complex maybe Zelda or The Lunar Legends these each have a girl gets taken, boy saves her type storyline. ?Or if you want to jump right in to a complex storyline the has simple controls and such try Wild Arms series or Final Fantasy. ?Finally, Games such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden tend to get more of an expirenced RPG players.

Or at least that's how I see it. ?confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You should note that he said that his fiance doesn't like Zelda.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Suikoden II is a lot of fun and there are a lot of mini games in it laugh.gif
    Or Kingdom Hearts which is a lot of fun also

• Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited September 2003
    well, I made some people like RPG's by showing them FFX. The conversations beeing talked and not written helped a lot, and the scenario is really diferent for someone not into RPGs.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Max_Deltree @ Sep. 10 2003,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"well, I made some people like RPG's by showing them FFX. The conversations beeing talked and not written helped a lot, and the scenario is really diferent for someone not into RPGs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh I think I have to agree here. Some people hates RPG because they say that they have to read too much. I'm not assuming your fiance hates reading or anything, but generallly, this applies to people who don't like RPG.

But then again, if your first game is a game that has great graphics, it might be hard to go back to the "conventional" (Not exactly the right word) graphic type games. My little cousins feel exactly this way. They saw me played Breath of Fire 3 and told me that the graphics looks horrible, and asked me why I am playing the game.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Guys, you aren't thinking. If the person likes platform games...then you should be indicating games like Mario RPG which are cross Genre.

Dracos
  • Robust StuRobust Stu Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Well, I'll assume she's at least in her early to mid 20s. Depends what systems you have. If you're on the Playstation, I'd recommend Suikoden, it's short, fast paced, and simple enough that she probably wouldn't get bored with it. For the PS2, Really the best one I can recommend would be FFX. It's got awesome graphics, the sphere grid is a cool idea, and it has a really good story. Also, it's pretty easy as RPGs go, and you're not forced into any really tough minigames. I'd stay away from anything hardcore like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy (other than 10) because while you might consider them classic, she might get bored and frustrated with them. I'd also stay away from handheld RPGs, because the added annoyance of having to stare at a small screen might drive her away. Good luck.
  • Honda_InsightfulHonda_Insightful Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Sep. 10 2003,21:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If the person likes platform games...then you should be indicating games like Mario RPG[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I recommend the game that converted ME to role-playing:

(1) Final Fantasy 10

I thought role-playing games were stupid/pointless until I played (and watched) this awesome game! It's like an interactive movie and just draws you in. Even my mom sat and watched me play so she could see how the story ended! It's so good that even non-players enjoy watching it.

After FF10, I followed up with:
    (2) Final Fantasy 9
    (3) Super Mario RPG

I have to admit these are the only RPGs I really, truly enjoy playing over-and-over again. The rest I just sold on ebay.
  • TagarthTagarth Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    The game that got me into RPGs was Chrono Trigger, after I played that, I was hooked, but it's not the best game to start out on (Though it's not to hard). ?FF9 if every one would recall was made to be beaten by beginner players, it says so right in the game book. ?It has a good enough story, nice graphics for PS1, and your getting her into the main RPG string of games, Final Fantasy. ?

Other then that, Tales of Destiny was interesting, the second one had voice acting. ?And Valkery Profile had simple game play, and a real kick arse story, plus, the main character is a girl. ?Those are my recommendations

• MogMog Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Kingdom Hearts and Mario RPG are pretty good choices, but you could always give Rhapsody a go if you think she may prefer a sugar-sweet (but surprisingly great) storyline and charcaters - all the important characters are female and most of the men are pretty useless (might be just what she's looking for wink.gif )

Other than that, Final Fantasy 7 converted a whole generation of gamers to rpgs, so I see no reason why it wouldn't do the job here...

• generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'd say Lunar Silver Star, because of the sappy love story. ?Chicks dig the love stories.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Guys, you aren't thinking. ?If the person likes platform games...then you should be indicating games like Mario RPG which are cross Genre.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I disagree. ?Introducing an a cross Genre RPG might make her think most RPGs are like that, and thus would have an even more difficult time getting into pure RPGs like Final Fantasy and the like due to a preconception.
  • JCove2010JCove2010 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Wow! this is great guys thanks a lot. Keep those ideas coming they are all great. I agree with FinalFantasy X & maybe Super Mario RPG. I do fear that if I start her off with the fancier graphical games she'll be disappointed when she plays a few true classics. I might start her on Super Mario RPG and see how she likes that then I'll get her into Lunar and then the classic Final Fantasy's. I do agree that Final Fantasy X may keep her interest level up, instead of having to read everyting.

Dicisions, decisions confused.gif
  • TagarthTagarth Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Well, don't overwhelm her. I know when I wanted to get my friend (Who was a girl) into role playing all I had to do was sit there and play it, she watched one day and it wowed her. You may have to wait till after your merried for that to work (Enless your living together), but just sit down one day and start playing. Not recomended you do that while she's visiting though, then it looks like your trading her company for the game.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Suikoden II, hands down in my opinion, has the best story of any RPG I've ever played, except for maybe Xenogears, but that's one complex story.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2003
    Going off the presumption you have at least a small collection of games, why not try letting her see the opening reel of a game and perhaps showing her the first 15-30 minutes of a couple different games?

That way she'll get an idea of what the game is about, and how it plays.

My other suggestion would be to run down to yon local video game rental store and let her browse boxes until she finds something she thinks she'd like. If she enjoys, buy it. If she doesn't, rent another.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Which Zelda game did she not like? OOC or Link to the Past would probably be a good start, if not WW.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Just thought of something. Why not make one for her? Get RPG Maker, create an adventure that you know she would love, and make HER the main character. Im sure she will get a kick out of it.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Dark Cloud 2 is a good idea, because the gameplay is platformer-like, there's a lot of different things to do, and the interface is easy to understand. The weapons upgrading and the length of it might be a bit much though.

I'd second the recommendations for the Suikoden games. The way the XP system is set up, there's not a lot of tedious leveling up to do, and the games themselves aren't all that hard. Suikoden I is a pretty short game and has a nice classic "rebels against the evil empire" storyline.

But storywise it really depends on what she likes. Not all gals are into gooey romance, and I can think of very few who are into the "big strong boy rescues a helpless ineffectual girl" thing.
  • LordoftheMorningLordoftheMorning Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Kingdom Hearts first...

Then break her into the necessities. I mean if she doesnt like FF6, 7, or 8.... theres not much hope.

Suikoden III is a greatly engrossing game, so if you can get her to give it a try.. chances are she'll get as obsessed as the rest of us and after 40 hours or so hopefully want to look to other titles.
  • GutsynessGutsyness New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I suggest Lunar games, because they are all about romance.

But if she is more a happy-go-lucky person, then try Kingdom Hearts.

But at all costs, do not let her try Star Ocean 2! Many people hate this game because it is slow paced. If your fiancee was into platforming games (which are fast-paced), then Star Ocean 2 is to be avoided at all costs... for now. Once she starts to get into RPGs, then let her try it.
    It's my second favorite RPG, my favorite being Persona 2:Innocent Sin.
  • LordoftheMorningLordoftheMorning Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    What are you talking about???

Star Ocean 2 is anything but slow. It's extremely difficult and maybe you'll have to spend alot of time on a boss or something, you won't ever be without some mission to complete. how is this a slow-paced game?
  • SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    SO2 is great beginniner RPG because the battles aren't turn based. When you're trying to get someone into RPGs dont give them something turn based, thats the #1 reason peopl dont like RPGs in the first place.
  • GutsynessGutsyness New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I suppose it's all a matter of opinion then.
    I came to that conclusion after visiting another Star Ocean 2 message board where many newbies were complaining about the first two hours of the game (before you get to Cross). I agree with them: I also find the beginning tedious and sluggish. Myself, I think the first time through it is very entertaining but when you have to watch the beginning of the story for the 3rd time... tounge.gif
    Otherwise, if your fiancee can stay hooked up to SO2 until she reaches Cross, then she'll be in for a treat because the rest of the game is great! ;) The battles are sweet and quick, as people here said, but some parts of the game are slow-paced (tournament of Lacour!).
    BTW, the longest battle I had was against Iselia Queen on Universe difficulty (45 minutes).

If only your fiancee could read japanese, I'd suggest her Popolocrois Monogatari (which were voted 'girls' favorite RPG' in Japan).