If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

So big from rpgamer?

valetine_4_evervaletine_4_ever MemberFull Members
edited September 2003 in Site & Forum Support
I've been getting a lot of the Sobig emails, and one of them is from music@rpgamer.com. Anyone know why?

Comments

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Did you send the address anything? If you did they could have your address and if the Server is infected, then it's replicating to you? Probably not since I've sent a lot of things to the site, and I've yet to get SoBig from here.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Ok, you're going to LOVE this.

There is a virus out there known as KLEZ, this virus forges headers that are from one e-mail address into another. So, for example, bob@bob.com could be sending the e-mails but because he has this virus, the header says "fanart@rpgamer.com"

Then when the server, such as they have done recently, ignores these attachments it fires off a failure to fanart and not bob.

Long story short, we're getting hit too and some from our own servers. Just...it's not from us, it's from some guy who's infected with another virus.
  • ShionShion Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    ...Sobig is NOT Klez. It's similar, but it's worse and I've gotten several THOUSAND Sobig virus e-mails since about midAugust. Granted, there is a kill date of September 10th, and my daily count has gone down from 600 a day to less than 200 lately. =P I get Klez e-mails periodically, but very few, and have been for some time. SoBig just kind of seemed to explode, and now it's dying off rather fast...
    edited September 2003
    I would suggest you read my post again. I did not say Sobig was Klez, I said that Klez was forging the headers from rpgamer e-mails and sending it out as an rpgamner address.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    But the topic starter was getting Sobig e-mails, not Klez. Your answer, while moderately relevant in that they're both viruses which forge some e-mail headers, was directed towards the wrong thing.
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (valetine_4_ever @ Sep. 07 2003,08:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've been getting a lot of the Sobig emails, and one of them is from [EMAIL=music@rpgamer.com.]music@rpgamer.com.[/EMAIL] Anyone know why?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My answer was very relevant, Rico. It was the answer to his question as to why he is getting these e-mails from music@rpgamer.com, which is clearly stated in post one.

His answer is this is Klez forging headers, that someone is infected with this other virus that is sending it out to him. It forges the header from music@rpgamer.com, sends it to him, then if it fails it fires back to music@rpgamer.com which floods our inbox. Even then, the topic is "sobig from rpgamer?" which means even then it's the answer to his question.

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Klez is most certainly not sending e-mails infected with Sobig with forged headers to appear from music@rpgamer.com, which was both Shion's and my point. ?Yes, it's a forged address and RPGamer isn't sending him anything (Especially since music@ is a redirect), but Klez has nothing to do with it.

Might as well provide links:
    Sobig information
    Klez information

Similar, yes, but there're quite a few differences as well, and like I said earlier, I haven't heard of Klez infecting people with Sobig.

• valetine_4_evervaletine_4_ever Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE". It's similar, but it's worse and I've gotten several THOUSAND Sobig virus e-mails since about midAugust. Granted, there is a kill date of September 10th, and my daily count has gone down from 600 a day to less than 200 lately. =P I get Klez e-mails periodically, but very few, and have been for some time. SoBig just kind of seemed to explode, and now it's dying off rather fast...
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Really? Thank the lord, it's clogging my mail box. tounge.gif
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"My answer was very relevant, Rico. It was the answer to his question as to why he is getting these e-mails from music@rpgamer.com, which is clearly stated in post one[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> Man, one comment starts a war. I'm also female *should choose her sigs better*
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited September 2003
    RPGamer doesn't send out virus emails. Check the full headers to find out where emails really come from. Any email that has an executable attachment is discarded from the mail server.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • ShionShion Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    ...So it seems like anyone inundated with those SoBig e-mails can celebrate now. Today is the kill date and I was shocked to find all of ONE piece of spam upon opening my mail this morning. =P

What a friggin' relief. =P
    edited September 2003
    I had 4 confused.gif
    edited September 2003
    I had 60! It's like Christmas all over again!

Note to self: Don't work on a public website, spam is sure to follow tounge.gif
    edited September 2003
    None! Hurrah! *dances*