If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

About RPGamer's news...

SupraDarkySupraDarky MemberFull Members
edited September 2003 in Site & Forum Support
Hi, since this is the place to bring up the good or the bad, I just wanted to say this.
Why is RPGamer almost always late on the news? Each time I see a news here, I already saw it somewhere else. Are there any reasons why? This is no offense at all, I love RPGamer. It's just that it seems to be late News-wise most of the time.

Comments

• Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Just to present an opposing viewpoint:

I hope you guys keep doing the news the way you always do it. While I have also noticed that the site tends to post news slightly later than some other sites, I have also noticed you don't post just any old tripe the vast internet rumor mill tosses out. Thank you and keep up the good work. smile.gif
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Yes, at least RPGamer isn't the kind of site where you will see false rumors. When you see news on the site, you can be 100% sure (unless it's April 1st) that it's legit.

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Out of curiousity, are any of the other sites which frequently beat this one to posting news entirely staffed by volunteers?
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Well I'm not sure, but is RPGFan made of volunteers?
    One site I'm sure of is NewTechnix, now named Jeux-France. News about every games, and news before any other sites, made by volunteers. It's a really popular site too.
  • GlacianGlacian Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I've always thought RPGamer was pretty good with the news. They tend to beat all the other RPG sites, and their news tends to be more accurate as well.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'd rather have correct and thorough news two or three days later than hogwash news "when it breaks". ?Quality over quantity, or something.

RPGamer newsies do a great job.. kudos to you.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Well, I am amazed none of the news team hit this one so I guess I will.

In the realm of news, there are always two types of reporters. The glory-hog and the fact checker. Here, we have the second, people who are responsible for many people's RPG news. Due to this, I think RPGamer has the mantra of "Quality over Quantity".

Though we want to bring you tons of news as fast as humanly possibly, we still want it to be correct news. So we check our sources, we make sure it's a valid report, and then we post it.

Also, take into account this is a volunteer website. I alone have spent probably 70+ hours on just Fan Art, and I'm not getting paid one red cent. So sometimes, lives and even entertainment can get in the way of reporting. The news team must bring you the best in reviews and previews, so they have to play the games from beginning to end.

So, summing this up(sorry, I usually write novels on subjects), we're volunteers who like to check our news very closely. They also have to do (p)reviews of games from beginning to end. Humans can only go so far without getting burned out. ^~

Disclaimer: I'm not on news. I use we as all-inclusive. All of RPGamer staff.

• Ced The LadCed The Lad Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'd say if RPGamer gets beaten by the news, it's because the site that beat it focuses on that particular game. For example, suikosource.com is the premier source for Suikoden, but they have nothing on RPGamer on covering other games.

By the way, The upcoming rune in Suikoden 4 translated as "Curse Rune" here in RPGamer is mistranslated. It should be "Rune of Punishment".

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'd have to say there's several reasons RPGamer often gets beaten on news.

1.) Translation issues: As demonstrated by Ced the Lad, different translators often translate items differently from Japanese to English.

2.) Scheduling: Often, RPGamer's news staff is on at the same time of the day, instead of varying out during the day, so they're sometimes behind simply because no one's around to cover it. Take for instance the PS2 release of FFXI news that Sony announced roughly 24 hours ago. Sometimes this can't be helped, and sometimes:

3.) "That's not my department.": In my opinion, if there is breaking "big" news, any staff member should be able to cover it.

And I'm not sure I buy the "Quality over Quantity" (other than a few translations) argument, sounds more like an excuse to me.

And of course, there's the ever popular, "But we're all volunteers!"

Make a choice, be a professional news site, or be a fan site.
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chiapet @ Sep. 17 2003,08:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'd have to say there's several reasons RPGamer often gets beaten on news.

1.) Translation issues: As demonstrated by Ced the Lad, different translators often translate items differently from Japanese to English.

2.) ?Scheduling: Often, RPGamer's news staff is on at the same time of the day, instead of varying out during the day, so they're sometimes behind simply because no one's around to cover it. ?Take for instance the PS2 release of FFXI news that Sony announced roughly 24 hours ago. ?Sometimes this can't be helped, and sometimes:

3.) ?"That's not my department.": In my opinion, if there is breaking "big" news, any staff member should be able to cover it.

And I'm not sure I buy the "Quality over Quantity" (other than a few translations) argument, sounds more like an excuse to me.

Make a choice, be a professional news site, or be a fan site.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My, such nice use of black and white logic. Why do you insist on placing things in category A or category B, when things are not that simple? Try taking things for what they are.

How about this, instead: We're a professional volunteer site, we do what we do as a service to the readers and because we enjoy doing it. We're certainly faster and better organized than your average fansite, and we're perhaps not quite as fast as a news outlet with paid employees. The first two points you brought up are easily solved by paid staff, and the last point is a problem anywhere you go. I rarely see a great deal of "not my job" going on, so I don't think this is a big problem either.

You act like the volunteer bit is an excuse, when it's not. If someone can't cover news for the day, I can't simply skip my job and cover for them.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chiapet @ Sep. 17 2003,10:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'd have to say there's several reasons RPGamer often gets beaten on news.

2.) ?Scheduling: Often, RPGamer's news staff is on at the same time of the day, instead of varying out during the day, so they're sometimes behind simply because no one's around to cover it. ?Take for instance the PS2 release of FFXI news that Sony announced roughly 24 hours ago. ?Sometimes this can't be helped, and sometimes:

3.) ?"That's not my department.": In my opinion, if there is breaking "big" news, any staff member should be able to cover it.

Make a choice, be a professional news site, or be a fan site.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    1) Not even a point. You want people to translate traditional kanji when they haven't the experience nor knowledge? You want people to translate accurate when they can't? Too bad. You either have to deal with the fact not all of us know oriental languages to bring 100% accuracy to translations or you can suggest you be hired as a translator. Either way, this isn't a point against news coming quickly, rather a point as to why it would be inaccurate.

2) Incorrect. I am on 9 AM to 12 AM every day. Many staffers are on when I go to bed at 12 AM, and some are up when I get up. We constantly have someone on, and I have made it known all that has to be done to get me to do news is ask me. Others are the same. Even then, this would only affect who the story is by, since I could write a news story in a little under 3 minutes.

3) This is your only "valid" point, and even then it's not valid to news not being timely. It's a point to why we don't have tons of people doing news, but in this context it's not a point. My section is Fan Art. I was hired for Fan Art, and that is what I will do without being asked because it was the area I was appointed to and it was the area I am to keep up. I will do news if a department head asks me. Many others share this viewpoint, so in the end all you're saying is the truth. That isn't my department. It can be with one simple question, though.

To be very frank, I don't care what you think is an argument and what is an excuse following the crap you just spewed at us for your argument as to why RPGamer is slow to get news. You want an excuse? "I was busy playing ____, which we have no need for me to play", "My dog ate it". "We want to make sure the news is accurate and a quality story, not just flooding our front," is a reason, not an excuse.

Now you're just trying, and pathetically, to agitate people. You seem to like to repeat facts, but never present why the facts are inaccurate. The staff of RPGamer volunteers. Volunteerism is termed as work without payment, RPGamer staff get no payment therefore they are volunteers. Should we be drawing a map of this or do you get that all you did was repeated a fact with a really sad try at being patronizing.

Make a choice, be an argument, or just be a bad attempt at one.

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tadrith @ Sep. 17 2003,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"My, such nice use of black and white logic. Why do you insist on placing things in category A or category B, when things are not that simple? Try taking things for what they are.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As I've said before, if you can't extend the time to the project that it requires, perhaps its time to move on and let someone else do it. As of late, some of RPGamer's staff has seemed quite whiny, wanting to be respected as a news site but wanting the benefits of being a fansite and not having to worry about what others might think. It would be nice if you could have it both ways, but you can't.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"We're certainly faster and better organized than your average fansite, and we're perhaps not quite as fast as a news outlet with paid employees.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not disputing that. But there are other volunteer (or at least sites which have a significant number of volunteer/unpaid staff) who are faster and just as accurate.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The first two points you brought up are easily solved by paid staff, and the last point is a problem anywhere you go. I rarely see a great deal of "not my job" going on, so I don't think this is a big problem either.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I wasn't saying the first point shouldn't exist, just that it is a valid reason for why RPGamer news is sometimes slow.

Scheduling is something that can be at least partially avoid. Sure it can't be completely avoided, but ~90% of news is released in one of three 3 hour time periods on every day.

I'm going to say there's a lot of "not my job" going on now, but why do you think your E3 coverage started 48 hours in the hole? It happens enough.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You act like the volunteer bit is an excuse, when it's not. If someone can't cover news for the day, I can't simply skip my job and cover for them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You have used it for an excuse quite a lot lately. I'm not saying you personally should skip work to work on RPGamer, which, if you recall, we've had this discussion before. I don't know what RPGamer's staff count is currently, but last time I did know it was around 20, considering the workload is no more than 3x what it was 5 years ago (and definitely less than it was in 2000), when there was a staff of 5-6, there should always be some around to do something.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Much as I'd enjoy continuing this fascinating discussion, there are those of us who have better things to do than swing around to take shots at our former coworkers whenever we're feeling peckish (or should I say, conveniently have our email and board accounts hax0red every time invective is unleashed from those sources?)

Admittedly, though, you do have a couple of valid points, and I'm addressing them as best I can. All I can say is that currently most of the members of my news staff are swamped with schoolwork, and finding it difficult to post news in as timely a fashion as I'd like.

The news department has exactly seven members - myself, alex, joseph, cortney, orie, gabe, and matt. Matt does previews, which come out fairly regularly, joseph handles eds, which update unfailingly on a weekly basis, and Alex is equally steady with the Japandemonium column, which is why a number of less significant stories regarding Japanese developments end up sliding a few days.
    That leaves four people, of which two are busy graduate students, and one (myself) who is responsible for other areas of the site as well.

Obviously, I need more people, and Kami has moved over to news to help me out, so the situation should be improving soon. If this doesn't improve things, well then, I'll hire a couple more people.

Until such a time, recognize that this site is staffed by people giving their own time and effort, something you decided you didn't want to keep doing. Seeing as how this is the case, you don't really have a leg to stand on, unless you're a staunch supporter of towering hypocrisy. I don't care what your reasons for leaving were; the fact is, you left, abandoning the same responsibilities you're waggishly bitching at us about, and your repeated attempts to stir up trouble are just irritating evidence that you're too petty to grow up and move on. Please, try it. It's probably a hell of a lot more fun than being a bitter, hate-filled man.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    And that, as they say, is that.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
This discussion has been closed.