If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

fanal fantasy spirits

oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 MemberFull Members
edited August 2002 in Miscellaneous
i was bored one day so i looked at different articals and reviews and i saw FF:TSW. i saw dissapointment in this movie.

there's many things about this movie that you must know; first, on my personal opinion, it was a good movie. also there's some thimg about movies goers in america that you must know, it either this group, this group, this group, or this group. different groups have their own type of movies that they like and could give a damn about every other movie out there. only reason spirits did so poorly in the box office is that people were expecting a certain movie that they felt it wasn't. everyone expected it to be based on one of the other final fantasies. if you know anything about final fantasy, every one is different from the other. everyone was dissapointed because it wasn't to THEIR epectations to they branded it "sucky" and told people that it "sucked" so they didn't go see it (or at least that's my theory).

Comments

• The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Wow, that's some nice ranting there, dude.
    I don't know why the FF movie did so poorly at the box office, nor can I figure out why "Legally Blonde" actually did very well in comparison.
    People have varying complaints about the movie, but I figure there's nothing wrong with FF:TSW that isn't also wrong with most other movies today.

Personally, I liked the movie. Actually, I liked it a whole bunch. I wish I were watching it right now. Still, I wouldn't say it's much like Final Fantasy. The ending looked kind of like the ending of FF7, and there was a guy named Sid (hey, it's almost Cid), but that's about it. The soundtrack had its moments, and is better than some other movie soundtracks -- plus, it's original, so that gives it some points (movies that have original soundtracks are seldom crap). Still, Nobuo Uematsu could have composed better music in five mintues, with his left foot.

Something to consider: If the movie was just called "The Spirits Within," without the Final Fantasy name, would anyone recognize it?
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Probably not. But the name "Cid" might gave a little clue to the fans of FF. Other than that, probably not.

Anyway, I too also liked the movie. The song played during the credits was (is) incredible. I actually own the DVD copy the movie.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I, for one, hated the movie. The plot was both cliched and filled with incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo about "wave patterns" and such. The characters were ironic - they were incredibly realistic and well-animated, but on the inside they had the flattest personalities I've ever seen. They weren't even really characters - they were single, cliched personality traits given (admittedly realistic) bodies. In the parts that weren't filled with pretentious meta-mystical nonsense, I felt like I was watching a satire of American action/sci-fi conventions rather than a real, serious movie. And, worst of all... "<span class="spoiler">The character deaths were horribly done. Compared to emotionally powerful deaths in the FF series, the deaths in TSW seemed silly. The deaths of several major characters seemed stuck in just to get rid of the characters, or, in one case, to quickly slap some extra emotion onto the lifeless movie. When the other members of his elite squad died, Grey didn't even seem to care. My thoughts upon seeing each character death was not "OH NO! ____ DIED!", but more along the lines of "Oh, the story writers decided to use death as a quick, cheap, tried-and-true way to manipulate the audience's emotions. Well, I'M not fooled. The uncerimonial deaths of a few unimportant, dull, ultra-flat characters aren't going to move ME."</span>" And what really annoys me is that I've seen many people who don't know much about video games say things like "For a movie based on video games, FF:TSW actually had a pretty good storyline." This annoys me because, in my opinion, the movie's plot is [a bunch of expletives deleted] compared to the plots of the games.
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I think the movie was alright. As an FF fan, I was dissappionted, I was was expecting a movie that had something, anything related to the games, besides a guy named Cid. But as a movie goer, I was pleasently suprised, It was better than I expected.
  • Darth_yogiDarth_yogi Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    wasnt too (o..k..) bad (*cough*) as a movie, i just dont understand what it had in common with ff except dr.cid confused.gif

edit:blasted typos... why am I starting to care about grammar?..hrmm..

• MalangoMalango Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I really liked the movie, I was annoyed when I found there was no magic and cool weapons though (apart from guns).

I thought they should have made another film more closer to the games, but they made the first one to appeal to a wider audience and not really for the hardcore fans (like myself smile.gif ).
    And since FFTSW was a flop, they want be making another one sad.gif
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    The only things I really saw that they took from the games was 1) the cannon, a la Midgar, 2) the planet's life force being a blue-ish green liquidy stuff in a crater somewhere a la FFVII, 3) a spin-off of what would happen if the crater in FFVII hit our earth without a Sephiroth to suck up everything upon impact, 4) Dr. Sid (I wish that were a typo tounge.gif ), and the talisman number 8 that they love to have you collect.

The thing that annoyed me most was that nobody seemed to be able to breathe. It's as if humans had evolved enough not to need air. Spooky tounge.gif
  • poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    i personally enjoyed the movie very much and as for what is has to do with the ff series.....arent they all different with different story lines and charecters im mean really all i hear about it is complaints that the movie has nothing to do with the games.. but then again you could single out ff 7 8 9 or 10 or any of them for that matter and say "what does this one have to do with the others" because they all are created differently...

i mean of course i would have LOVED to see a movie strictly made from ff7 ?or 8 or 9 or 10 or once again any of them..omg that would be sweet!!! but i liked it for what it was a sci fiction movie

• MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I wasn't really expecting something similar to the games. However, I walked into the theater expecting something that would move me in the way the games did, and I didn't get that, so I was disappointed.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    While FF:TSW wasn't the absolute worst movie I've ever seen, I personally thought it was flawed. What bothered me about this film was that it drifted itself from any epic proportions, leaving us with the common straight-forward sci-fi flick. The screenplay itself wasn't much to write home about, neither, and I agree with Metacod that the characters were extremely flat. And I think fans have the right to complain that the movie beyond its videogame counterparts. Square established the Final Fantasy nature since day one, and The Spirits Within lacked the properties that would give it FF status. Like I mentioned before, the story wasn't epic, and since Hollywood films are only permitted to be at a moderate length, characters couldn't be developed as well as they could in the games. Magic was always a strong player in the storyline as well. Quite honestly, I think I can write up a better movie that can go quite well along the FF lines.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    poke32: ?"you could single out ff 7 8 9 or 10 or any of them for that matter and say 'what does this one have to do with the others' because they all are created differently..."
    Nah, I think all the FF games have something in common other than their individual plots. ?You can just tell they're FF games because they feel like FF games. ?If the games truly had nothing in common, then I wouldn't have played them all, and they probably wouldn't be as popular as they are. FF:TSW, however, really doesn't have anything in common, and doesn't feel like an FF movie.
    For one thing, Final Fantasy is always based heavily in fantasy-type elements. ?There is also some sci-fi thrown in, but it is NEVER pure sci-fi. ?FF:TSW is pure sci-fi. ?There is no magic, no dragons, no chocobos, no swords, or anything. ?They tried to make it sort of "meta-mystical," as Metacod said, by using mysterious devices such as "bio-etheric lasers" and the like -- but everything was described in science-like terms. It's actually like they were trying to make it dissimilar to Final Fantasy.
    If someone who had never played a Final Fantasy game watched this movie, they would be deceived in thinking that this is what the games were like. ?If it were me, I probably wouldn't be very interested. ?And even if I did happen to pick up an FF game afterward, I'd be like "What the heck is this? ?This isn't like the movie at all!"

• poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Aug. 25 2002,16:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"poke32: ?"you could single out ff 7 8 9 or 10 or any of them for that matter and say 'what does this one have to do with the others' because they all are created differently..."
    Nah, I think all the FF games have something in common other than their individual plots. ?You can just tell they're FF games because they feel like FF games. ?If the games truly had nothing in common, then I wouldn't have played them all, and they probably wouldn't be as popular as they are. ?FF:TSW, however, really doesn't have anything in common, and doesn't feel like an FF movie.
    For one thing, Final Fantasy is always based heavily in fantasy-type elements. ?There is also some sci-fi thrown in, but it is NEVER pure sci-fi. ?FF:TSW is pure sci-fi. ?There is no magic, no dragons, no chocobos, no swords, or anything. ?They tried to make it sort of "meta-mystical," as Metacod said, by using mysterious devices such as "bio-etheric lasers" and the like -- but everything was described in science-like terms. ?It's actually like they were trying to make it dissimilar to ?Final Fantasy.
    If someone who had never played a Final Fantasy game watched this movie, they would be deceived in thinking that this is what the games were like. ?If it were me, I probably wouldn't be very interested. ?And even if I did happen to pick up an FF game afterward, I'd be like "What the heck is this? ?This isn't like the movie at all!"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    very well said *bows head in silence*
    yes this is true i guss you are correct there about the fantasy aspect....

and i do like the movie but it WAS just lacking a bit but i usually just ignore it
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I hated the way the spirits did one-hit kills (to use a game term). Because of that, there couldn't be any cool, epic battles. And no swords. I mean even "<span class="spoiler">Xenogears knows how to put a guy with a sword in</span>". I followed the movie, so I knew most of this, but I walked into the movie thinking Spirits meant "Summons." I also couldn't stand the idea of Earth as the location. Still, the movie was OK. Just not great.

As a footnote, I heard there was a Chocobo sticker somewhere in the movie. Also, Sakaguchi is in the council chamber (I hear). I ended up only noticing the product cameos (AT&T).
  • oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    i didn't realize my little rant would spark so many interesting replies. alot of you had very good points about the characters being "flat", and how the story was "sub-par" so to say. true, as a Final fantasy title, it could've been better; also as a sci-fi movie(which it is supposed to be anyways having nothing to do with "mystics"), it was a farly decent movie. Either way is has a place in my movie liabary.