If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

FFTA Review

GoogleshngGoogleshng BannedBanned Users
edited September 2003 in Latest Updates
Tada, opinionry for you to disagree with.

Comments

• Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2003
    Looks like Square has gotten the formula right this time.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Generally agree. Think they were a little unfair to the plot though. While spanish inquisition style uber complex stories can be nice, relatively simple stories can be nice to. And it is quite unusual to have a game about "<span class="spoiler">using video games as an escape from reality.</span>" The FFTA plot is highly original as games go, while political machinations have become a little commonplace.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    There's very little that I disagree with. ?Looking at the number scores my opinion differs on some things. ?

The plot of FFTA is simple but has one up on FFT in that it's easy to pick up on a given day and actually remember who everyone is and what's going on.

Localization I see no serious problems with. ?There's not much slang (not a bad thing), and it's grammatically correct, but it doesn't exactly sparkle either. ?Or was the score given for things besides language? ?Were there changes in gameplay between the Japanese and English versions that weren't good for the game?

Replay value would be high for crazies who want to complete all the classes or every single mission, but how easy the game is (which I agree with) limits its replay value. ?Although I wonder if being familiar with FFT flattened the difficulty curve for me. ?I can also remember a couple of occasions in FFTA that coincidentally having certain equipment on made it possible for me to win what would otherwise have been a hopeless fight.

In general I agree with the review, although I think 7 is a little low. ?I wouldn't give it the 9s the major magazines have, though.

• BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Im not all that fond of the game so far, but I do not dislike it either. It kinda sucks on the Gameboy Player though. It looks and controls much better on the GBA.

I still say Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars is the best GBA Tactical RPG. A shame so few people have even HEARD of it, much less played it..
  • SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I agree with most of the review ( I didn't like the plot at all) and I would also give it a 7 out 10. Meaning "good game" since 5, to me is average.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I think you were a bit hard on the plot. The biggest complaint I've always heard about the original was that people got sick of the political mechinations. I didn't mind those until I saw how it all wrapped up with what amounted to a "Huh?" ending. I haven't finished this one yet, but "<span class="spoiler">unless Mewt is randomly stabbed in the back by Marche in the last five minutes for no darn reason at all</span>", I'm digging the plot a little more. The idea of the fictional world being an escape is actually played up rather well, I thought. A 3 implies there's no decent plot at all. I'd save the 3 for a game with almost no plot tying any of the events together. I also like how this game actually acknowledges what kind of world Ivalice is, while the original game basically ignored the fact that this was a world with summoners and such except for a few small spots (Particularly Rafa and Malak.) I always wondered how the fifty year war could have stalemated when they had ORLANDU, the one man army, on their side. I also do not understand the score for localization, especially considering nobody screamed "I had a good feeling!" and that nobody's names changed within a few paragraphs. Or that none of the missions asked me to kill a character that doesn't exist ("Defeat Dycedarg's Elder Brother").
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MogMog Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I would generally agree with most of what was said in the review, though I think I would mark it slightly higher (maybe an 8) simply because I'm having so much fun playing it - that's what is important remember.

My major gripe with the game would be the lack of variety in the missions - I'm around 30 hours in now and every mission so far is either "kill the boss" or "defeat all the enemies". Every battle is just a straight up fight to the finish and it can get repetetive - if you compare it to the first Vandalhearts game (for example) where almost every mission had a different twist to it (e.g. battle your way across the bridge before it collapses behind you, or destroy all the crystal before what's-her-name is lowered into the lava pit etc) it all seems very samey.

Still the fun, for me anyway, lies in building the characters and mastering all the jobs, and while FFTA may lack the depth of the original there's plenty there to keep me occupied.

The difficulty level is another story altogether. I've seen the game over screen once in 30 hours - when Marche got red carded (my own stupid fault for not paying attention to the rules). As such I rarely use Marche and Montblanc for any but the most important battles now - I've got a good range of jobs and levels in my clan and when I use a relatively weak party for a battle it does make it a bit more interesting. That may not be the most obvious way to play the game, particularly for the srpg novice, but it certainly makes it more of a challenge, though the fact that your characters cannot actually die ("<span class="spoiler">except in the Jagds, of course</span>") makes something of a mockery of the whole thing.

Aside from those gripes however, I'm enjoying it immensely. I think an 8 would be about right.
  • netgrlxnetgrlx Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I really thought more of the story also. Just because it isn't filled with several plot twists and isn't all dark and moody doesn't mean that it's not a good story. Sometimes I wonder if people's opinions aren't clouded by the system it's on. If it were on the Playstation 2, would people be more forgiving of the simple story of three friends that happen to be children? Even though it involves kids, it certainly isn't all bubble gum and lolipops: "<span class="spoiler">Marche really has to make a hard decision. If he destroys the world of Ivalice, then he will hurt his friends from the real world and lose the friends he's made in the fantasy world. However, if he stays in this fantasy world, he'll never return home, see his mom again, or lead a normal life as a young boy.</span>"
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2003
    should at least be an 8...just because the story is more "lighthearted" than the "thick and heavy" political one in the first game doesn't make it worse.its more opinion.i for one am getting tired of all these "GRAND!,heavy,political,etc..." storylines.especially in strat rpgs...the best ones find a nice middleground.a nice lighter story is a good thing and it is well done in this game...the difficulty i agree is too easy.i like a challenge,but you have to look to customizations and length in optional missions to find it in this game which is fine but difficulty could be higher.overall an instant classic...
  • AGiESAGiES Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Decent review, just one question. Why is the back button still a holiday wreath?
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Plot 3? Jezz thats rough, it didnt deserve that.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Where are the random battles?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    You mean the clan encounters? They're essentially random. Except you can avoid them if fight 15 minute long random encounters is a bad thing.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I walk around the map but there are not monstes. BTW the abilities are exactly learned in the same way as FF9?

Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Er, maybe your questions would better be answered by yon instruction manual than a forum. Clan encounters start showing up around 4 or 5 missions into the game, as you randomly walk around the map. The ability learning was explained in moderate detail in the review which you're supposedly commenting on.
    edited September 2003
    Coming to this straight from Tactics Ogre, it's clear that SquareEnix needs to raise their quality bar if they still want to develop on Nintendo consoles.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Q. Mulative @ Sep. 23 2003,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Coming to this straight from Tactics Ogre, it's clear that SquareEnix needs to raise their quality bar if they still want to develop on Nintendo consoles.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Right.?.?.?.
    edited September 2003
    I'm not saying it's as bad as, say, Iridion 3d for its shallowness, but it's wayyy to easy for a Tactics vet, and the only thing that's keeping me to it is the catchy music, and the prospect of improved sequels, kind of what drove me through Iridion 3d and how its sequel fixed all the flaws of the original. ?The worst part about F.F.T.A. is that there are too many broken abilities that drive the multiplayer fun-factor right into the ground. ?You could prepare an army of Humans/moogles with every ability they could possibly get, just by using "Steal/Ability" on enemies, and all this before you even find out about Law/Antilaw cards. Plus, the first combination of Moogle Juggler Abilities available, Firebomb/Return Fire, pretty much make the juggler an invincible Archer-killer machine.

• DeshrillDeshrill Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I've been played a bit of FFTA and I'm a bit dissapointed in it. ?The gameplay is the same as FFT, but after playing Disgaea the pace seems so slow. ?The lighter story than FFT doesn't bother me too much (compared to Xenosaga where you have cut-scenes that are over thirty minutes long at times), but it just feels formulaic so far: go to Pub, buy Mission, complete Mission, wash, rinse, repeat.

Some of the interface is a bit confusing, but the focus on lots of missions over a deep story is an interesting take on things. ?I think RPGamer's review gave the Plot too low of a rating, but it makes sense when you compare it to the deep (if a bit poorly translated) plot of FFT.