If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Grandia Xtreme > Grandia 2

GrowlanserGrowlanser MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Role Playing Games
GX is way better...I know it doesn't have the spectacular story and such but when you play it it's alot funner than G2.

Anyone agree?

Comments

• LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I've never played GX, but it really doesn't take much to be better than G2 (so saying GX > G2 isn't really saying much).
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I disagree.

The Grandia games have always had great battle system, and that goes for all three of them (haven't played PT). But Grandia Xtreme had no plot at all, and absolutely no character development. That's not just a minor flaw, in my opinion.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Sep. 22 2003,15:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But Grandia Xtreme had no plot at all, and absolutely no character development. That's not just a minor flaw, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It had minimal plot and at least most of the characters played a major role in the way the story played out.

But how can you even consider that a flaw when the creators of the game even said that it was gonna be like that? ?The game was constructed to be exactly what it is and nothing more. I don't disagree with your personal opinion but rather, your choice of wording I suppose. smile.gif

Overall though, I too consider Grandia XTreme to be the superior of the series.

• SilvermaneSilvermane Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Grandia Xtreme was a pleasent diversion from the main series and the combat system was even more refined. smile.gif

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I like G2 better than GX. If you were to get the graphics and refined battle system of GX and stuffed it into G2, you'd have a far more excellent game. smile.gif
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'm a G2 > GX person.

All the Grandia games are too similar in that "there's no problem that critical attacks can't cure." I blew through G1 without a single "game over" after realizing that, and didn't have huge problems with either G2 or GX either.

With GX I was left with "how about the characters/story?" and to say the least, they were nothing to get excited about. Somehow didn't stop me from playing the thing for 80+ hours though. confused.gif It was fun building up mana eggs, I liked the characters' individual special attacks, and I loved the combos...

I would re-play G2 before either of the others, but I'm a story fan. Gameplay fans might well enjoy GX better!
  • cosmicballercosmicballer New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    G2 is a great game, one of the best ever, GX though i have not played it people admit the story blows so it is worse
  • Options
    edited September 2003
    Never played GX, and don?t plan to. The thought of having to go through hundreds of random battles with no story and little character development in a RPG is kind of frightening.

I beat both G1 and G2, while G2 is an all right game; G1 is my favorite RPG for the PS1! Playing it brings me a sense that I?m the main character in the game, which a lot of RPGs lack these days.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hero @ Sep. 28 2003,04:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"G1 is my favorite RPG for the PS1! Playing it brings me a sense that I?m the main character in the game, which a lot of RPGs lack these days.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So, when playing Grandia, you feel like you're 10 years old, you scream when you talk and "WANT TO BE AN ADVENTURER!!!!!11!"? Because that pretty much explains Justin ?tounge.gif

I don't see how lots of RPGs today have a lack of good protagonists... especially not when comparing to Grandia.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I actually found Justin to be quite the cliched lead character. In that sense I found Evann of Grandia Xtreme a hard-headed oaf. Ryudo happens to be one of my favorite lead heroes. smile.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Grandia Extreme is the only game past or present that has made me cry in frustration and despair over play control (Castlevania 64 gave me fits, but at least I didn't /cry/). When I realized I'd blown my console money for the next few months on a game with no plot (and a main character who I came to understand was wearing a jock strap on his head) I cried bitter tears. I love Grandia 2. It has wonderful characters, hilarious dialogue and a nice plot (with more false endings than you can shake a stick at). Grandia Extreme has bad acting from almost everyone outside of Mark Hammill and characters that dance and sing something to the effect of "Hello, I am a sterotype, I am pleased to meet you." I was also diappointed that they stoped using combination cel and rendered animation for the attack sequences in Grandia Extreme. This was one of the most beautiful touches in Grandia 2 in my opinion. Needless to say, after I shelved Grandia Extreme after my /Xtreme/ frustration over it for a few months, I went back to it, searching for a plot, saying over and over again "It must be here somewhere!" I still have not found it. Maybe it's a great secret and I should consult a FAQ to find it.

Anyway, Grandia 2 holds a special place in my heart. Grandia Extreme holds a special place under my bed where I do not have to think about the money I spent on it.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Minimal story and lack of character developement makes for one crappy game, IMO. I mean, my main problem with the Grandia series is the near back-to-back dungeons with a relatively slow moving story for a good half of the game (in spite of the awesome battle system). I seldom had fun with the gameplay in RPGs, and never enough to make up for a lack of story. I honestly can't see the appeal in dungeon crawls like this.

Grandia 2, while not as good as the original, was an excellent game. It has an engaging story, fun characters, and gameplay superior to the first Grandia (one of the few RPGs I've actually enjoyed fighting in). That's not to say it's without its problems, but I found it good enough to warrant a second play through. I'm really curious as to why you found it so repulsive, LB.

The original ranks as one of my favorite RPGs, despite the terrible voice work. The main appeal of the game was the sense of adventure it portrayed. The story (which really doesn't kick off until disc 2), the atmosphere, and of course, the music all lend to that sense of adventure. With that said, I liked Justin. He fit the mold of what the main character of the game had to be for the rest of it to work. Watching him grow from a small town troublemaker with dreams of becoming a great adventurer like his father to being the one to unlock the secrets of the Icarians and save the world, although cliched, certainly added to the overall feel of the game. I don't expect many people to share this opinion, though; I tend to judge games differently than most people (note my emphasis on style). tounge.gif

So to summarize, Grandia > Grandia 2> Grandia Xtreme.