If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Hero Rush

ASVASV MemberFull Members
edited September 2003 in Latest Updates
Go read the update if you don't know. It'll become obvious fairly quickly that it's mainly comprised of dying horribly.

Comments

• DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I strongly agree with the Xenosaga review. The only thing I can think of adding myself would be to say that the story is even more lackluster when you haven't played Xenogears. It seems to depend on Xenogears to add extra novelty through whatever references I couldn't get, and that was a horrible, horrible mistake.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Solon: Beautiful S3 review. Cutting right to the core...the heart just ain't there.

Chrono Cross Retroview: Right on tack.

Solon legend of mana:
    The score fits, but you really missed an astounding problem by not examining the blacksmithing closer. It's terribly constructed and really unintuitive. One of those types of side events that definitely don't add to the pleasure of the game. Truthfully, the fact it's so easy sort of kills the need for such complexity. It's wasted. Even the hidden boss(IIRC) that is in it isn't terribly difficult.

Dracos
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2003
    ...Zack?
    Where's my review? eh.gif
  • ASVASV Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    SPAMMIT! >_< Knew I forgot something. This is why people really need to email me about these things. It's how I keep track of what's what. The only reason Cast's review showed up this week (after 2 weeks of neglect) is because he caught me in the middle of updating and slapped me around. So... I'll go write myself an email about next week, howsaboot that? tounge.gif
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2003
    I'm always at work or sleeping when you do your updates, so that would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif
    (Still working on that other review, gimme a couple days)

And I'm still mad at you for changing the colours right when I was about to *finally* get a new title mad.gif tounge.gif
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I agree completely with every word of Xythar's Xenosaga review. ?My opinions of the game have changed from "satisfaction but not amazement" to "utter disappointment" since I wrote my review. ?If I wrote a review of the game now, it would probably come out very much like Xythar's. ?It's almost creepy how much I agree with everything he said.

edited September 2003
    Xyther made a rather good review, though I have to correct him on one point on the battle system. The monster boosts did not over-ride yours. Rather it worked on a first come first serve basis. If you placed a character as ready to boost before attacking, the monsters boost would be denied entirely. On the other hand, if you try it after an attack that triggers the monster to boost, you will almost certainly fail as the speed at which the computer will do it is far in excess of what you will. Naturally if a monster is already 'there', you cannot boost.

Dracos
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Sep. 23 2003,19:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Xyther made a rather good review, though I have to correct him on one point on the battle system. ?The monster boosts did not over-ride yours. ?Rather it worked on a first come first serve basis. ?If you placed a character as ready to boost before attacking, the monsters boost would be denied entirely. ?On the other hand, if you try it after an attack that triggers the monster to boost, you will almost certainly fail as the speed at which the computer will do it is far in excess of what you will. ?Naturally if a monster is already 'there', you cannot boost.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Monsters can Counter Boost, which automatically gains priority.

They do it quite often, too, the buggers.

edited September 2003
    Odd, I don't think I ever had that happen during my run once I started my habit of setting up boosting chains. I don't recall a monster once breaking them.

Dracos
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Even so, these almost lose their impact because of how often the heroes' eye's bulge or villains gestate wildly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

"gesticulate." wink.gif

Anyhow, I enjoyed this week's selection of reviews. I appreciate how RPGamer's reviews tend not to be slobbery gushy 10s. For the most part they are well balanced and not over-wrought either on the good side or the bad.

I played S3 a year before touching S1 or S2, and my experiences with S3 spoiled my appreciation for the first two games, both graphics and story-wise and with respect to my interest in and sympathy for the main character*. These things work both ways, I guess.

* "Oh 16-year-old boy. You're such a great leader, I admire you so, I become a better person around you!"
  • TRCTRC Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    You know, normally I don't say much about reviews, given they are opinions and all. Because of the of the time I don't feel strongly enough about a game to comment.

yet, I don't agree with Araes giving Disgaea a 5 for replay value.. I don't understand how he gave it that. And since he has only reviewed on other game ( BOF V, which has monster replay value), I have no way to quanitify his statements. I guess my point is, I don't get it. It has a new game + feature, which adds much to the game, given that is basically the only way to get 2 of the 8 endings. It has, as I mentioned, 8 endings. And since he didn't mention it, it has 2 hidden uber bosses. And over 3 hidden levels/worlds, so I just don't get it.

I've put over 20 hours into the game, after I've beaten it, that cries replay value.

( now to play devil's advocate, it is entirely possible to get all endings, and all worlds opened in one play through, but it would be a hugely long playthrough. So I doubt anyone would be willing to do it. )
    edited September 2003
    And it really wouldn't be one playthrough, unless you consider getting an ending, then proceeding to do everything differently from a set save point way before to get a different ending one play through. It's not like it's a choice option. There are definitive events that have to be done. Some endings require playing entirely alternate worlds. Some have openly contradictory goals to achieve them which would make fulfilling both basically require enough work to go right through the game again.

I'm on my third cycle of the game already having put roughly sixty hours into the game since beating it. It's been utterly addictive and perhaps has the most key aspect of replay value. CHALLENGES REMAINING TO BE OVERCOME! I still have yet to beat the uberprinny. I bet most haven't even touched Baal. It's quite simply built to handle replay quite well.

Dracos
  • BunnieBunnie New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I ussually don't argue with reviews either. I mean, Araes does represent a demographic of "not an anime fan", so it is good that he does warn people about Disgaea's anime feel. However, sometimes I think he expects the game to conform to too many of his expectations. Why does hell need to be red and orange, and a place of suffering? Maybe he's thinking a little too Western, not that Eastern cultures don't have frightening visions of hell too. Most importantly, if Disgaea were the typicall Christian and Boshe-esque (sp?) kind of hell, it would really kill the light hearted mood.
    Anyway, gestating wildly is something I'd like to see...well maybe not.