If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Do you like to max your character levels?

daschrierdaschrier MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Role Playing Games
Do any of you feel the need to max your characters level? And if so, what games have you done this in. The only game I ever tried it in was FF4, but got bored by around level 70. I know lots of people max out their characters in FF7, but it just seems too easy to do that. A game like DW7 or BoF4, that would take a looong time.

Comments

• RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Never.

Random battling is boring enough in most games, that I wouldn't go out of my way even to level up unless my characters were too weak to deal with the next boss!
  • RyuujinRyuujin Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    If I really like the game, or if it's really hard, I try to max my levels. Usually don't go all the way though, it can be hard to have that much patience!
  • Evil King StanEvil King Stan Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I have to be one of the laziest gamers ever. I am usualy too underleveled to do squat-all. I rarely run from fights, but I also rarely go out of my way to perposely get in fights. The only games I want to max my characters out in is Okage: Shadow King, Final Fantasy Tactics (I do that on the second stage) and Final Fantasy X. All other games I am horrendously underleveled, especially Xenosaga and Suikoden III, I'm stuck on the bosses because I'm too underleveled. I was also very underleveled in Breath of Fire III, but managed to JUST beat the last boss in that one...
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I've done it in FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX. In some games, it's just not fun to build stats, like in FFIV and FFIX, and in others, it's nearly impossible combined with lack of fun, like in Xenosaga.

*stabs Xenosaga*
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    The only games I have ever maxed levels on was Final Fantasy Tactics and Legend of Dragoon. Both because the battle system was actually fun.

*Looks at Xenosaga bleeding*
    Hmm....
    *pokes it with a stick*
    Yup. It's dead.
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    If it has a + Game feature i'll go all the way and max out characters all the way. Took me forever on C. Trigger but i did it and i loved every second of it. I'll usually learn all the magic, techs or whatever and get in the upper 80s or 90s on levels when it comes to most games without + game feature. If I love the game I'll go all the way. Kingdom Hearts and Secret of Mana were two that I maxed everything just for the fun of it.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    It really depends on the game. The only games where I thoroughly enjoyed maxing out my levels was Star Ocean 3 and Final Fantasy Tactics.
  • Jack Van BuraceJack Van Burace Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    The only time I level up characters is if there is no chance of me beating a boss. And even then I do it just a few levels at a time. It keeps the game from getting to easy. biggrin.gif
  • The amazing CidThe amazing Cid Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'd like to see someone max some of their Disgaea characters to Lv.9999 ?wow.gif ?Maybe I'll give it a go tounge.gif

Or is the max 999? eh I'm not sure lol

• Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I maxed my levels in Ultima:Exodus, Ultima:Quest of the Avatar, and Dragon Warrior. ?Exodus took me *several* years to beat, Quest of the Avatar maxes out at 8, and in DW I couldn't even get through the Dragonlord's castle, much less beat him, until I'd reached the max level. I still *really* want to get Ayla's Bronze Fist in CT, but I don't think it's going to happen...

• ClayoniteClayonite New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I max my characters in games I care much for....
    And I doubt many have maxed the chara in Star Ocean 2.... wink.gif
  • NeoNessNeoNess Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    It depends if I enjoy the battle system or not.

Chrono Cross + Xenogears = Worst battle systems ever.
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2003
    I like challenges, if I can get one I will take it. I like to be strong, but not overly strong. I don't want to be invincible being maxed out. If it does require to build levels to learn new spells, techniques etc. to the last spell, then I would level up (like getting Meteo in FFIV). Gotta have fun with all the spells smile.gif
  • cosmicballercosmicballer New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    no, just enough to beat a game with ease, so for instance mid forties for a ff game is usauly perfect
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NeoNess @ Sep. 28 2003,13:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It depends if I enjoy the battle system or not.

Chrono Cross + Xenogears = Worst battle systems ever.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You know, I must say you couldn't have seen many a battle system if those are your worst ever.

Dracos
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lin Mayu @ Sep. 26 2003,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I maxed my levels in Ultima:Exodus, Ultima:Quest of the Avatar, and Dragon Warrior. ?Exodus took me *several* years to beat, Quest of the Avatar maxes out at 8, and in DW I couldn't even get through the Dragonlord's castle, much less beat him, until I'd reached the max level. ?I still *really* want to get Ayla's Bronze Fist in CT, but I don't think it's going to happen...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hitting 99 for all characters in CT is theoretically reasonable to do within 40 hours. Wouldn't take more than a hundred unless you are actively avoiding gaining levels. There's areas in that game where you can get thousands of xp per ten second interval.

Dracos
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    The only game I ever maxed out levels in was Crystalis and Pocket King!
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2003
    maybe if i had more time...i just try to move up enough in each game to dominate the enemy and complete it so i can move on to the next one
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I did only in Final Fantasy VII and VIII, got my main parties of both games all the way up, although in VIII, I defeated Ultimecia and Omega Weapon around Level 70.

As for FF7, I leveled up to LV 99 my main group as a consequence of getting Mime to master twice, so practically it was a fortitous level up in that game, but it was useful enough to beat the hell out of Emerald and Ruby Weapons! biggrin.gif
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    It depends on the game, of course... if I like it, and the battle system is entertaining, I might max out my characters.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I doubt many have maxed the chara in Star Ocean 2....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why? All of my characters are lvl 255 with all the best equipment in the game... it only took 43 hours or something. Just becaue the numbers are high doesn't mean it'll take ages.. I mean, in Cave of Trials you can easily gain 3-4 levels per battle.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Not really.

I do like to level up my characters alot ( in order to make most boss encounters relatively easy or at least easier than if I were playing as normal ) but more often than not it takes too much time to max out a charcter's ( let alone every other playable charcter in the game ) stats and as such I usually can't be bothered.

Like most others I have managed to max out almost everyone in FFVII and I have maxed out everyone in FFVIII but that is about it.
  • Volcom_stoneVolcom_stone Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I remember playing trough Final Fantasy 3 again and again and my favorite character was Edgar, so what i did was to make a party only with Edgar in with some experience eggs and go fight in some woods...... cant quite remember the name of the wood but id fight with tyranosaures and brontosaures...... thats how I maxed Edgar! biggrin.gif
  • Volcom_stoneVolcom_stone Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well Final Fantasy 6 ut i played on the snes so it was the 3, well u know, i cant believe I did that , A lv 100