If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

New Kingdom Hearts Titles, Final Fantasy Movie

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2003
    I can't believe no-one has yet to mention the fact that in the end scene, children could be heard laughing in the background. Hnnnrgh, that pretty much suggests to me that humans did actually survive the catastrophe.

• Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sir Frizz @ Sep. 26 2003,10:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I can't believe no-one has yet to mention the fact that in the end scene, children could be heard laughing in the background. Hnnnrgh, that pretty much suggests to me that humans did actually survive the catastrophe.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, someone has, repetedly. Although, it may be in the other thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Am I the only one that can see the topic title as "New Kingdom Hearts Tit...."?

Anyway. Anything could have happened. We dont fully understand the lifestream. It could have rejunenated life on Earth like a new age pirmal ooze. Cloud survived it. Why couldnt anyone else?
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Adremmelech @ Sep. 26 2003,16:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Am I the only one that can see the topic title as "New Kingdom Hearts Tit...."?

Anyway. Anything could have happened. We dont fully understand the lifestream. It could have rejunenated life on Earth like a new age pirmal ooze. Cloud survived it. Why couldnt anyone else?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's been speculated that the only reason why Cloud survived prolonged exposure to the lifestream was because he had Jenova cells within him.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Well, since Edd thinks I'm just comparing stereotypical characters, let me delve a bit deeper into the compairison of Aki Ross and Aeris.

Aeris - A young girl with a questionable past, raised outside of her normal surroundings by a woman she would later come to know as her mother. As she grows up, she is a kind woman bent on saving the world through her own means of communication with the earth, and is later met by a hero who is later accompanied by a party of motley characters, all strong in their own right with their own strengths. As Aeris journeys with these people on the search for means to save her own world around her, she is wrapped into a larger plot she never bargained for. Finding out the truth of her past, as the last of a dying breed of Earth children, she understands she is the last means to destroy that which threatens her world. Aeris finally obtains the means, but is stopped when attacked by the evil of the world. However, this does not stop her, as she comes "back" and uses her mystical powers and saves the entire world from a destined doom at the hand of foreign space matter, which cannot be destroyed by conventional weapons. Using the Holy materia, a hidden magical being in itself, she destroys matter thus ending the major threat to the world and giving the world a chance to heal itself.

Now, change "mother" to "mentor", "Aeris" to "Aki", and "Holy Materia" to "Spirits"...looks like we have Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within by changing just three little phrases.

No, all games are original and exciting, however when there are blatent simularities between people to a degree of the same MAJOR PLOT, then you have something more than two independant movies.

If you refuse to believe FF:TSW is FF7, then maybe you should stop trying to put every plot point in FF:TSW to FF7, and look at the larger plot.

The plot, despite opinion, isn't Chocobo Racing, Barret's sidequest, or Jenova. It's about a group of people search themselves together, ending up fighting someone/thing thats trying to destroy the planet not knowing it IS destroying the planet. It just wants it's place back, and thats all Sephiroth or the aliens wanted--their place back. To do it, they would be destroying the world. In the end, one woman and the love a man had for that woman ended up being the saving quality, and what saved the world. Grey loved Aki, and gave his life for her to be able to carry on. Cloud loved Aeris, and wanted to be with her, and was ready to give his life for her. In the end, that love is what gave Aeris the power to destroy the meteor and Cloud the power to destroy Sephiroth.

If you think otherwise, then keep looking at the small points of a plot and ignoring the major theme. That is, after all, why people hate FFX. So many great major themes, so little thought power.

• AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Sep. 26 2003,11:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Adremmelech @ Sep. 26 2003,16:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Am I the only one that can see the topic title as "New Kingdom Hearts Tit...."?

Anyway. Anything could have happened. We dont fully understand the lifestream. It could have rejunenated life on Earth like a new age pirmal ooze. Cloud survived it. Why couldnt anyone else?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's been speculated that the only reason why Cloud survived prolonged exposure to the lifestream was because he had Jenova cells within him.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How do you explain Tifa's survival?
  • CybsledCybsled Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Because Aeris didnt want Tifa in her lifestream forever ;P

But yea, humanity does survive at the end of FF7. You may have noticed the whole cliched "technology is evil" trend throughout the game and the fact that Midgar was the avatar of technology pretty much.

As for a US release, given the recent mass-market popularity of anime in the US as well as the insane fanbase here, a US release is almost a given. Remember the US does have alot of money muscle in things. Ninja Scroll the series was only made because it was backed money wise by investors in the US. And VHD:Bloodlust was primarily targeted at a US audience since VHD was one of the first breakthrough anime in this country, thus was looked upon very favorably by US anime fans.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Maybe Cloud and crew went on one last voyage to a tomb where the poisoned Cosmo Canyon creature was and went "SOFT" "ESUNA" "HEAL" crazy. It is corny that they wouldn't do it after beating the boss, but it didn't say that Seto could not be healed. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What? Seto CAN'T be healed. If he could, they would have healed him a long time ago. And if they (Bugenhagen and company) were too lazy/incompetent/forgetful to heal him, there's no way Cloud and company could heal him. Remember that scene where Red XIII sees Seto? Seto's "statue" starts crying. Little green tears drip from his eyes. Someone says something like "It's Seto's....!" They never say exactly what it is, but it seems reasonable to assume that it's his life force returning to the planet. You can't separate someone's life force from the Lifestream, so Seto's gone. Dead. History. Returned to the Planet.

Also, I think Square-Enix is releasing the FFVII movie for two reasons: (1) to make oodles of money (we don't have to worry about an English translation...this thing is bigger than FFX-2 and we're already getting that) and (2) to set the record straight after reading tons of editorial speculations and fanfics (which include nonsense like Sephiroth coming back from the grave, then switching bodies with Cloud and then Aeris is revived and she hooks up with Cloud while he's in Sephiroth's body...UGH!*). It's like Square-Enix is saying, "OK, here's what we meant in the ending of FF7." And yes, I am of the "humanity survived" school of thought. I think Aeris's humanity in the Lifestream allowed humans to be spared. Bugenhagen's predictions did not come true, as the party clearly listened to his words and intervened to alter the "destiny" of the planet. Anyway, all will be revealed in the DVD. All mysteries will be solved...or will the ending of the movie only create more questions? Hmm...

*No offense to the fanfic community. I have read and enjoyed dozens of excellent fanfics. The example I gave was from a very poorly-written work that didn't even qualify as fanfiction.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What? Seto CAN'T be healed. If he could, they would have healed him a long time ago. And if they (Bugenhagen and company) were too lazy/incompetent/forgetful to heal him, there's no way Cloud and company could heal him.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Allow me to preface this by saying that this is one of the nerdiest arguments I've heard in ages. Anyway, you're arguing that they can't be healed as if this was some sort of proven science, and that you're aware of how everything in that world works. To debunk such a ridiculous argument, I shall reference a parallel case that happened in FF4: Palom and Porom were also turned to stone, and were also incurable no matter how many softs or heals you used on them. However, they're wonderfully alive again later in the game, to fight the Giant of Bab-il. Amazingly enough, the Elder of Mysidia cured them with his "magic."

It's a damn story, anything can happen.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What? Seto CAN'T be healed. If he could, they would have healed him a long time ago. And if they (Bugenhagen and company) were too lazy/incompetent/forgetful to heal him, there's no way Cloud and company could heal him.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Like the Puke in Power said, it's just a story, and this is a pretty nerdy argument (still not as nerdy as a Pikablue argument). But if Seto could be cured with a soft, why wouldn't Cloud just slap Aries in the face with a phoenix down right after Sephy pulled out, his sword that is. Or maybe put her in a bed at an Inn for the night, it worked before right?
    If they could they would, but they didn't, who cares?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's a damn story, anything can happen.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We should be careful LB, there may be fanboys and girls listening who's heads may explode tounge.gif
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Happy Hobo @ Sep. 26 2003,22:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's a damn story, anything can happen.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We should be careful LB, there may be fanboys and girls listening who's heads may explode tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    WAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

<--'s head exploids laugh.gif

Heh, just kidding. Anywho, there is a saying in my family when it comes to outrageous story twists. The "Willing Suspense of Disbelief." It basically mean, shut up, sit down, and just watch the dang movie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ClorithClorith Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Ah this is turning into an overly-interllectual thread!

Personally I'm on the verge of tears! FF7 was my favourite FF EVER!! And here they are finally making a direct sequel to it, after toying with us for so many years with Cloud in Ehrgeiz, Tactics, Kingdom Hearts and some say FF9! I say it's about time! Cloud looks so, so sad in the screenshot at the church. I'd say the 2 of them look gorgeous! Not exactly what I pictured them to be, but gorgeous anyway. Always thought Cloud had a more "bishounen" type of face, with more contoured cheekbones and a narrower chin. Preferably even a bit girly-looking. And fairer! Miss the spike!! Oh well. biggrin.gif And Sephiroth's fringe is flat!! Oooh Cloud's top is unzipped!!! Okie, shall stop my fangirl raving. tounge.gif
    edited September 2003
    Though the Pukelord says that it is a story and that anything can happen, the story and the game still implements it's own in-story/game logic and conventions that the story events themselves, I believe, are supposed to follow. Okay, in the game Aeris gets a long sword driven through her back, so by game's logic of Phoenix Downs, she should be revived right?

But I don't think this is the case. If I remember correctly, falling in battle is considered KO or "Knockout". Grammatically, this does not connote that the character is dead. So, perhaps, falling in battle is fundametaly different from getting a sword run through you an dying. Then, Phoenix Down brings a character back from KO, but does not bring him/her back from the dead, so using a PD on Bugenhagen or Aeris is useless.

That is, assuming this is the reason.
  • CybsledCybsled Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    The reason is there is no reason. It's why General Leo can have a meteo land on his head and survive, but yet when Kefka stabs him with a tiny dagger he dies. Story development.
  • KurobeiKurobei New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I just don't understand why everyone is so addermant that the human race died out? The fact that there were no humans in the secret 5 second fmv means nothing. Infact, if there was a reason it was probably budget cuts! Yuffie and Vincent wer'nt in the ending! Does that mean they don't actually exist? We saw alot of Marlene, who has bugger all to do with the overall plot. It was a poorly done, throwtogeather barrage of special effects. I'm not saying it was a bad ending, and I'm not criticising final fantasy seven, but I do think the game was ahead of its time.

Also, the last part of the ending was on a cliff, in the middle of nowhere. If you think about the relative size of midgar, its probably miles and miles away. There arn't going to be humans on a random cliff face.

I think Square chose Nanaki and his children because they would live for a long time so they could put them in the end, just to show miday 500 years later.
    edited September 2003
    wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Sep. 27 2003,06wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But I don't think this is the case. ?If I remember correctly, falling in battle is considered KO or "Knockout". ?Grammatically, this does not connote that the character is dead. ?So, perhaps, falling in battle is fundametaly different from getting a sword run through you an dying. ?Then, Phoenix Down brings a character back from KO, but does not bring him/her back from the dead, so using a PD on Bugenhagen or Aeris is useless.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's always what I assumed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think Square chose Nanaki and his children because they would live for a long time so they could put them in the end, just to show miday 500 years later. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It seemed to me that it would be more relevent then a couple of random people that had nothing to do with the story to have Nanaki in his old age. It was symbolic of the fact that not only did the planet survive but so did Cloud and the others. I think Nanaki was used as a plot device to show they survived until their natural death times.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2003
    umm.... how are they gonna put in Red XII and Cait Sith?

hee hee.... i cant wait to see dem....

<And The MOVIE too!! laugh.gif>
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    In response to someone from a page or two back, Cloud and Sephiroth look Japanese because the people who did the CG for them are Japanese. It makes as much sense for people from a fantasy world to have epicanthic folds as for them to not have 'em.

In the "shiny" FFX sequences all the playable characters (with the possible exception of Lulu and Kimahri, who I never took that close a look at) have Japanese eyes, also. Sora from KH also seems to have epicanthic folds, although his eyes are so big it's kind of hard to tell.

I don't think Tidus and Cloud look similar at all. Cloud looks much more "adult" than Tidus. Surely you can't mean that all blond "pretty" males with big hair look alike! wink.gif
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RpgMASTER @ Sep. 28 2003,15:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"umm.... how are they gonna put in Red XII and Cait Sith?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I doubt they would put Cait Sith in. It would not make sense to considering "<span class="spoiler">you find out that it is Reeve that has been controling Cait Sith all along. So they would more likely put him in in place of Cait Sith.</span>"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2003
    I found Cait Sith annoying. I'd rather see "<span class="spoiler">Reeve</span>" anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2003
    This is just wishful thinking but maybe the DVD is a rehash of the original game that leads up to the playable sequel which the DVD is included with. Look at the screen shots. Cloud in the church with the stained glass, sephiroth in the flames ( in Nibel?) Like I said. Wishful thinking.