If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

How is Breath of Fire 2?

ChromotriggerChromotrigger MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Role Playing Games
It is my favourit RPG... maybe because it was my first.
I would just like to know what other people think about this great game!

Comments

• mushroom2703mushroom2703 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    breath of fire 2 is a classic game,enough said.all elements were really good and i really enjoyed playing this game!!!
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    It's certainly the best game in the series. Sadly, that's not saying very much at all.
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I prefered BoF3, as the translation job on BoF2 diminishes it's overall quality. That being said, I still like it a lot. In fact, I like the entire series. Though BoF4 didn't impress me much, and I haven't even bothered with Dragon Quarter. I've been told by people I tend to agree with that BoF5 pretty much sucks.
  • DeshrillDeshrill Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Breath of Fire 2 is certainly better than the original, but the translation makes gameplay confusing: at times, you're not sure where you have to go to complete quests.

I enjoyed the wacky tone of the game. Consider the first quest: instead of doing something grand, you have to rescue a pig from a hungry old man while fending off killer cockroaches!

The original BoF was a bit bland in terms of story and gameplay, but still remains fun. I really enjoyed BoF 3 before getting stuck somewhere around the middle of the game and I only rented BoF 4 before getting stuck in a maze early on.

I've seen a friend play BoF 5. The graphics and music work well (particularly the music), but the gameplay seems uber-frustrating.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I played the GBA version about a year ago. It was ok at first, but then it got really boring, so I traded it in. BOF2 was definitely better than BOF1, but I guess it doesn't suit my taste. BOF III is still my favorite.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Like Growlanser, I started BoFII on GBA but never finished it because I got bored. It's still around the apartment somewhere, waiting for when I have absolutely nothing else to play, which will be a long, long time. I didn't sell it back like I did Golden Sun, which is a point in its favor, I guess.
  • KokiriChildKokiriChild New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I didn't really like BoF2 that much, kinda got bored with it mainley because I didn't know what I was doing. havign said that I just rented BoF3 for the PS1 (it was on a "rent any 3 movies and rent a PS1 game free, and it was the only decent choice they had I hadn't played), but I haven't even started it. Anyway, BoF2 in my opinion wasn't worth it.
    edited October 2003
    Yea...those SNES rpgs back then rarely told you where to go!
    Got too boring for me.

::remembers Wild ARMS::
  • square-softsquare-soft Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    BOF 2 < BOF 3 VS BOF3 > BOF4
  • square-softsquare-soft Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    BOF 2 < BOF 3 VS BOF3 > BOF4
    edited October 2003
    BOF 3 = Best BOF ever made.
  • ChromotriggerChromotrigger Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Okay... untill now i found out that many prefer to play Breath of Fire 3. I also think that Breath of Fire 3 is a great RPG... but i have a nostalgic feeling about number two. I also like the first one, so... if i should make a list of which BoF-games i like the most it would look like this:
    1) Breath of Fire 2
    2) Breath of Fire
    3) Breath of Fire 3
    4) Breath of Fire 4
    I havn't tried Dragon's Quater yet... but anyway, i think that they are all great games.
    Number 4 is not a bad game. Just the one i liked less.

I know that many will disagree with me.
    I thank you for all your replies... just let them keep coming!
  • AragornAragorn Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    It's funny, I like the original BoF more than any of the others I've played(2 & 3). I thought BoF 2 had alot of potential to be great as I was playing it but I wasn't enjoying the story.

And it wasn't just the story, something about the original BoF's characters and overall atmosphere was just enjoyable to me.

I particularly dread playing BoF 2 again for the part near when you first meet the frog character and having to chase down that stupid golden fly to make a meal and then that doesn't even turn out right. This is about the only memory of the game that sticks out in my mind and unfortunately it isn't a good one.

No offense to anyne that likes the game though, if you enjoyed the story and such then that's great, I just didn't.
  • squonksquonk Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    How could any of you like BOF2 better than BOF1? It's soo cheasy compared to the first one. The characters SUCK! The only good thing in the second BOF is that Nina's wings are black. That was an extremely cool feature to the game. The story is horrible, and too much stupid ideas are going through their heads. Like having a monkey go across land by reaching over to sticks. It's a really really dumb version of BOF1.

BOF3 was even more of a disappointment.

I really don't like the BOF series anymore. I used to dig it back when I was younger. Now I have grown tired of it. The first one is the best you can ever play.
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I really like the story of BOF II, and liked the difficulty of the SNES version. But I think Capcom made the GBA version too easy. Overall a decent RPG though
  • The OutsiderThe Outsider Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I don't think that BoFII is a very good RPG. In many ways, I think that it capsulizes a lot of worst characteristics of RPGs: a poorly translated plot with an extremely vague sense of motivation; characters who join your party very inexplicably and then remain after their primary impetus for doing so has been completed; all the cool stuff buried hours and hours into the game; and so on. I remember playing the game and thinking that it was a bad RPG stereotype.
  • Flik NightshadeFlik Nightshade Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Outsider @ Oct. 06 2003,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"it was a bad RPG stereotype.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That it was.. yet being 12 / 13 at the time I first played both of them, I had loads fun. Been considering re-buying them both for the GBA, but if they cut the difficulty for BoFII then crap on that.. =(