If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Somebody recommend me an RPG for the PS2

GrowlanserGrowlanser MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Role Playing Games
I've played:

Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy x
Dark Cloud
Arc the Lad: TOTS
Grandia 2
Grandia Xtreme
Wild ARMS 3
Xenosaga
Ephemeral Fantasia(that game made me mad)
Suikoden III
.HACK: Infection
Kingdom Hearts
Legaia: Duel Saga
Forever Kingdom

Comments

• Mr. ALXNDRMr. ALXNDR New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Masses of people everywhere have been going on and on about Disgaea, so if you haven't played that yet, give it a try.
  • MajinMajin Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    You know that commercial where it has a guy surfing on his computer then it pops up a message saying "you have reached the end of the internet, please turn back"?

That's where you're at. ? tounge.gif

(OK, honestly, I think you'll just have to wait. ?Or reach for PS1 games.)

• Options
    edited October 2003
    Disgaea, Dark Cloud 2, Okage.

How was Arc the Lad? I was interested in that a lot when it first came out but didn't have enough money to get it until Disgaea was a few days away, so I went for that instead, and the rest is history. smile.gif
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Liquid:

Don't bother. AtL:TOTS is a generally mediocre play. The battle system which was the main pride of the previous games and it's best aspect was unbalanced in it, ruining the game and shortchanging healers and support types even more than they were already being shortchanged in the previous games. The story depends on you accepting that the two protagonists are complete and utter retards along with a few plot twists that just leave one going: "Why? Why did you not think this out beforehand? This makes no SENSE?!"

Dracos
  • mushroom2703mushroom2703 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    man,thats alot of games.i'd probably recommend something like unlimited SaGa.its not the best game ,but it is good if you are looking for something differant to take up your time.otherwise,many a look back into the ps1 games would be good,plenty of classic there
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I thought Arc: TOTS wasn't that great. Too annoying and has dumb characters. 5/10 for me.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'll second LiQuid's recommendation of Dark Cloud 2. If you liked DC1 at all, DC2 will give you just about everything you got in that game, with additional mini-games that are, except for a couple of isolated incidents, completely skippable if you don't like them. If you do like them, you can spend hours and hours on them smile.gif

It also has better graphics and fewer weapon types to level up (four instead of six), which could be good or bad depending on how heavy you got into that in DC1. It's also easier than DC1 (IMO). Thirst meter is gone, and your weapon only becomes useless when its WHP goes down to 0 rather than breaking.
  • MRHDMRHD Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    One game I found interesting and refreshing was Tsugunai: Atonement. It was released by Atlus about a year ago, and in my opinion is worth a look.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Chaos Legion... or how about the next two .hack games... aren't you curious now that you've finished Infection?

Ephemeral Fantasia made you mad? I understand that. I have sold two RPGs in my life, and Ephemeral Fantasia was one of them.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    You know, it seems to me that Arc the Lad's fourth installment is continually bashed because of its characters. I have a nagging feeling that somewhere rooted in that argument is a disappointment with the fact that the two protagonists maintain their prejudices as opposed to growing out of them. Because, you know, there are lots of reason for them to grow out of them in the game (read: there aren't). It seemed a lot more realistic to me in the portrayals of behavioral nature. People just don't drop their lifetime ideals because they go on a little adventure. Yes, the protagonists consistently (and constantly) butt heads with each other, even though they probably shouldn't, but can you seriously expect them to do so? I'm sorry if you've transcended the natures of anger, discrimination, and vengeance, because that is honestly the only way I can see someone not fully grasping what the characters depicted. I found the game quite delightful in that it offered something very few games do, and that is a conflict that does not die at the end; a conflict of natures and resolve that are nearly immutable even in concession. Aside from some over-zealous voice acting, Kharg and Darc struck me as having more realisitc behaviors than many other video game characters I've seen in RPGs. As for the system, perhaps you played differently than I, Dracos, but I found myself using healing skill quite a bit until I decided to pump myself like mad in the arenas. Then again, I can see where that would be unnecessary if one or two characters became overbalanced. Anyway.

There were only two things that actually annoyed me about that game, and those were Lilia's constant attempts at subdued peacekeeping, and the fact that it wasn't long enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll save my cash for X-2 or Growlanser or something.
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    You could either get the other two .Hack//s that are out, Sword of Mana (f it is out yet???), FFTA, Golden Sun,Golden Sun Lost ages, Legend of Zelda Oracle of seasons/ages, or maybe Lunar Silver star story/Eternal Blue? Hope that helps
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"FFTA, Golden Sun,Golden Sun Lost ages, Legend of Zelda Oracle of seasons/ages, or maybe Lunar Silver star story/Eternal Blue?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    All good games IMO, but the title of the thread clearly says PS2.

As for my suggestions: Dark Cloud 2 and Disgaea. They may have already been said, I just wanted to say them again. tounge.gif
  • Volcom_stoneVolcom_stone Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    ok ......... ive started arc the lad before re-falling into ff tactics and I played it because i didn't had anythinbg else to do and found it not that bad... its true the batle system is kind of boring AND repetitive but stil better than..... what was that game one guy mentionned ?? stugonai something?( that thing was baaaaaad) . final verdict the story is a bit interesting cuz its all the steroetypes about rpgs melt in one .....
    edited October 2003
    Golden Sun? Zelda: Oracles series? Lunar series? Been there, Done that already.

Im not too "keen" on Strategy-RPGs that don't give you much freedom. Disgaea looks like one of them.

Dark Cloud 2 looks as if it would make me mad...because the first one did. I get tired of hacking a dungeon with 60 floors.

I guess I'll just have to wait for X-2, Growlanser: Generations and Star Ocean 3...
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    How bout trying a non-RPG game Like Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, or Extermination
    edited October 2003
    Tried playing the Resident Evil series...just not my type.

I also like games like Devil May Cry...which I've played along with Chaos Legion.

Does anyone know of any good Gamecube RPGs, besides Skies of Arcadia Legend?(I plan on completing that game soon)
  • UncleGamerRPGUncleGamerRPG Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    How about EverGrace? Xenosaga, Xenogears, or you could just wait for the new games to come out and thats what I reccomend currently. Can't help you on GC though, sorry, wait for FF:Crystal Chronicals.

edited October 2003
    Evergrace? I already played Forever Kingdom, which they said was way better than Evergrace.

I already completed those 2 Xeno games.

...I guess I'll have to wait for X-2 then...