If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

King-Sized Kingdom Hearts Sequel Particulars

RageRage Transcends lowly massesFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
Kingdom Hearts seems to be a new cash cow for Square Enix, and right now the milking is good. Check this story out and discuss.

Meanwhile, yeah...so I'm back. In case you're curious, and you're probably not, I left for what was supposed to be two years, but ended up being temporarily cut short by multiple cases of Pnuemonia in the time I was gone. Apparently you can't have Pnuemonia and Asthma while also being a missionary, so they sent me back home to recover. Oh well. So for a brief time I'll be able to write news again. Yay, me. sarcasm.gif

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Yosh comrade in suffering. Pneumonia sucks X_X *had it a week or so ago*

Anyhow, glad to see that rage has returned to this site. laugh.gif
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Heh, thanks.
    Yes, many will testify to you that Pnuemonia does suck...except that that was the whole problem--I was not sucking enough oxygen into my system. And here we are.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hey, Rage. I did have pneumonia, and that screwed all my grades in college. Hope you get better and have at least some fun writing news again. tounge.gif

Also, the foruns where in need of some Unlimited Saga fans. tounge.gif

Back on topic, did I get it right? We will have final fantasy playable characters? eh.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • DeshrillDeshrill Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, Square-Enix seems to be pushing Kingdom Hearts as their big new franchise, which is fine with me. I enjoyed the original game, although it had some problems (the camera, especially in enclosed levels [like the Little Mermaid boss fights >sad.gif).

I'm glad that the game is going in a darker direction and that they're trying to secure the original voice acting cast. The strong voice acting was one of the things that helped make the game enjoyable for me; the overall weak voice acting in FF X kind of drew me out of the story at part (and so did the character of Tidus, but that's another story).

The GBA game looks like it could be good. Having it be a 2-D Zelda game was a good move, although I'm not sure how else you could do it... As a side scroller, maybe?
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    C'mon! The FF X characters' voice acting in KH was pretty lack-luster, too. ;) Okay, maybe just Wakka's...

Anyway, I'm totally psyched! And probably the only person hoping Zell's in the sequel. tounge.gif
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2003
    Well, I am just hoping that the FF Characters are controllable this time around. It would be great if it were possible to do something like have Sora be teamed up with Red XIII and Simba from the Lion King at the same time.

I am really looking forward to this.
    edited October 2003
    Or Zell and, uh, ZELL!! laugh.gif Zell and Cloud would be cool... ?Zell and Hercules... ?Zell and Kim Possible... ?Zell and Horace Horsecollar... Zell and Pete...

Pete aughtta be a baddie in the next one! Though, he isn't really anymore, is he? Aside from practicing the most evil profession on earth: Used car dealer.

edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TwinBahamut @ Oct. 02 2003,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, I am just hoping that the FF Characters are controllable this time around. It would be great if it were possible to do something like have Sora be teamed up with Red XIII and Simba from the Lion King at the same time.

I am really looking forward to this.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, the feature I'm most looking for is the ability to switch characters or play multiplayer with friends. Like the old Secret of Mana stuff.

• ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Dang being sick like that is no fun...anyway the KH GBA game does look abit like The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the past and The Secret of Mana.

On the PS2 front if they use more FF Characters I want to see some Fron the 16-bit era and from FFIX. I always thought Amano's SD characters would have looked better next to the Disney ones!
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Yeah!!, it'd be cool if there was a multiplayer option, altho i'm not looking forward to that happening. and i'd like it if u could play as Cloud, but i REALLY doubt they'd make him a playable character. it isn't good if the main character of a game - Sora - has to compete in popularity with Cloud. unless they made him playable only in a certain area. but i guess even that would make me happy! biggrin.gif
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadowcat @ Oct. 02 2003,14:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Dang being sick like that is no fun...anyway the KH GBA game does look abit like The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the past and The Secret of Mana.

On the PS2 front if they use more FF Characters I want to see some Fron the 16-bit era and from FFIX. ?I always thought Amano's SD characters would have looked better next to the Disney ones![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think Nomura's too keen on remaking someone else's characters. Especially not his former boss's. Though I guess it'd be nice to see some of them again. He even said he didn't want to make a Kingdom Hearts 2. Personally, I prefer Nomura's work, hands-down anyway. smile.gif
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I heard that the combat in CoM will use cards to perform actions during combat. Does anyone have an idea of how that would turn out, though i still hear it will be an action rpg through and through. Also, i cant wait to check out those voice acted cutscenes on the GBA. pretty cool.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (risingsun @ Oct. 02 2003,15:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I heard that the combat in CoM will use cards to perform actions during combat. Does anyone have an idea of how that would turn out, though i still hear it will be an action rpg through and through. Also, i cant wait to check out those voice acted cutscenes on the GBA. pretty cool.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They've already stated that you'll need certain cards to perform special abilities.... I'd imagine they'll be 1-use items. There's a revolving icon at the bottom. Which is probably just for ease of use during combat.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Things that need to happen with KH2 for me to enjoy it:
    -Fix the combat system
    -Fix the camera
    -Jack Skellington returns
    -Get Mandy Moore back to voice Aeris
    -Vivi needs to make an appearance
    -Squall doesn't need to make an appearance

I don't think that's too demanding. Now get to it Squenix!

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Davis @ Oct. 02 2003,17:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Things that need to happen with KH2 for me to enjoy it:
    -Fix the combat system
    -Fix the camera
    -Jack Skellington returns
    -Get Mandy Moore back to voice Aeris
    -Vivi needs to make an appearance
    -Squall doesn't need to make an appearance

I don't think that's too demanding. Now get to it Squenix!

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Dude... Don't tell me you haven't seen the "ultra-secret" TGS video that's all over the net...
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rumikoholic @ Oct. 02 2003,18:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Dude... ?Don't tell me you haven't seen the "ultra-secret" TGS video that's all over the net...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I haven't.

I make a point of not watching videos from games until they're extremely close to a U.S. release.

Please enlighten me. Please.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Davis @ Oct. 02 2003,18:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    I haven't.

I make a point of not watching videos from games until they're extremely close to a U.S. release.

Please enlighten me. Please.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, from what people can tell from seeing it, looks like several characters from the previous game will be in it. ?Including a scene with a guy who looks like Jack Skellington. ?Though it's not officially confirmed yet.

Also, on here they even stated it'll have a lot of returning characters and they're trying to get the original voice actors lined-up. ?This means two things:

First, Squaresoft's most-likely done with most, if not all, of the game. ?In Japan, they do animation and stuff before worrying about voice acting.

Second, they're probably gonna have most - if not all - of the FF characters from the previous one. ?Which means Aeris with Mandy Moore's voice. ?Unless she's too busy doing a movie or recording a new album or something. (I thought her voice fit really well, too.)

I'd imagine the GBA game will be out in the U.S. by Christmas next year. ?With the PS 2 game released the year after.

On the cartoon front: A very well-respected source leaked that the voice acting's already begun for the American version of the animated series. ?It was in an interview on the Ansem Report. ?It's being done by Disney.

• slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm lookin' forward to both of these Kingdom Hearts games. I really hope they involve more Squaresoft worlds and some new, original ones. That would be very much cool.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Whoa, wait a minute there, folks. Maybe I am slow of brain and possess poor reading abilities or something, but am I to understand that a GBA game will have a voice-acted intro, with a theme song?

That is cool.
  • The Emperor KingThe Emperor King Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Comments:

1. where can you find that trailer?

2. whats the news on the storyline??? if there isnt any, it needs to hurry up and be released.

3. hope the game is longer.

4. hope you can control your other characters a little better than the first.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rumikoholic @ Oct. 02 2003,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"On the cartoon front: A very well-respected source leaked that the voice acting's already begun for the American version of the animated series. ?It was in an interview on the Ansem Report. ?It's being done by Disney.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sweet Goddess in Limbo! A cartoon!?! A cartoon by Disney!?!? I honestly don't think life can get much better if that's true. I'm actually kind of motivated to finish KH now, even if that means suffering through its terrible combat / camera system.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

P.S. Mandy Moore had better do Aeris' voice. If she doesn't, I might have to do something crazy, like put the Turkey Curse on her. ?wow.gif

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Oct. 02 2003,19:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Whoa, wait a minute there, folks. ?Maybe I am slow of brain and possess poor reading abilities or something, but am I to understand that a GBA game will have a voice-acted intro, with a theme song?

That is cool.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's been done.
  • LobstrosityLobstrosity Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    The thing that interests me the most is the news of more Final Fantasy characters. Let's hope there are some FF worlds, as well. And PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT SOMEONE FROM FF6 IN! I don't care if the guy who did the designs for VII, VIII, and X is directing KH, they need some of Amano's characters in on it. Call me a stubborn old-school gamer, but FFVI had some of my favorite characters, and I'd love to see them in 3D. That, and maybe some of the characters from FFIV? If they only put in one character from that game, it would have to be Kain. I'll be severly pissed if Square overlooks the classic characters in favor of the newer ones, again.
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I don't know if the trailer is available online(though it probably is) but i do know that one of the hooded characters is called Ansem by the guy in the red. Whether that means we'll be seeing the return of Ansem or not is yet to be seen.

This is what's known about Kingdom Hearts II:

It will not be possible to carry over an existing saved game from Kingdom Hearts into the sequel. Kingdom Hearts II's main themes will be "promise" and the "connection of hearts". The story's outline will be similar to the prequel's, but not as complex. The battle system will remain unchanged, however the team promised to address the camera and response issues of Kingdom Hearts in the new game. Clothes will play an important role in Kingdom Hearts II as a new battle system based on them has been added, though it seems to differ from Final Fantasy X-2's dress up system. Also, the amount of battle commands has been increased and players will be able to perform much more different moves during battle. The level of difficulty can be selected, in Kingdom Hearts Final Mix fashion. Last but not least ,the gummi ship portion of the game will be greatly improved.

Of course those aren't the final details but only time will tell as it gets closer to it's possible 2004 but probable 2005 release date.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Emperor King @ Oct. 02 2003,20:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Comments:

1. where can you find that trailer?

2. whats the news on the storyline??? if there isnt any, it needs to hurry up and be released.

3. hope the game is longer.

4. hope you can control your other characters a little better than the first.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    1. The Trailer's available on Ruliweb. It's Korean, though. Unless you can speak the language, I recommend searching the various forums out here or waiting until Ansem Report's back up. I'm sure they'll have a direct link to both the PS 2 and GBA videos.

Seems the direct link's appeared a few times on the IGN forums, but that's illegal for those forums and the threads get closed down pretty fast...

2. Nope, no story that I know of. I'm sort of curious, myself.

3. In an interview at Quiter (I think it was) translated on AR, Nomura said he'd designed over 20 worlds for the first game. With all of that to back them up, plus the extra characters he's planning on adding I'm sure it'll be longer. smile.gif

4. Me, too!
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madhtr @ Oct. 03 2003,10:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Clothes will play an important role in Kingdom Hearts II as a new battle system based on them has been added, though it seems to differ from Final Fantasy X-2's dress up system. Also, the amount of battle commands has been increased and players will be able to perform much more different moves during battle. The level of difficulty can be selected, in Kingdom Hearts Final Mix fashion. Last but not least ,the gummi ship portion of the game will be greatly improved.

Of course those aren't the final details but only time will tell as it gets closer to it's possible 2004 but probable 2005 release date.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Clothes, huh? That's cool. I'd heard that the Gummi Ship would not be making a come back. Unlike a lot of people, though, I really liked it. smile.gif
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Davis @ Oct. 02 2003,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sweet Goddess in Limbo! A cartoon!?! A cartoon by Disney!?!? I honestly don't think life can get much better if that's true. I'm actually kind of motivated to finish KH now, even if that means suffering through its terrible combat / camera system.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The cartoon is definitely true. It was announced again by some important guy at Disney around the time of the TGS, this year. Only, at some press conference in Germany. I just wish they'd get themselves in gear. Disney's promised a cartoon series since beore the first KH even came out. :\

I didn't really think the system was that bad. tounge.gif Sure there were like, one or two places I had trouble looking around. If you lock-onto something, though, it automatically switches the camera. The only problems I've ever really had were in the first "new world" "<span class="spoiler">Alice in Wonderland. Stupid water faucet... -_-</span>"
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rumikoholic @ Oct. 03 2003,11:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I didn't really think the system was that bad. tounge.gif Sure there were like, one or two places I had trouble looking around. ?If you lock-onto something, though, it automatically switches the camera. ?The only problems I've ever really had were in the first "new world" "<span class="spoiler">Alice in Wonderland. ?Stupid water faucet... -_-</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    When I played KH, it seemed to me that Square focused a lot on the visual style of the game (which is good, I <3 the visual style of that game) and very little on developing the mechanics of the game, mainly the combat.

The "random" battles in that game were probably the most egregious offender. I hated wandering around levels and having to fight the same five plus heartless goons every time I walked into a room. That's not fun; I shouldn't be punished for exploring that much.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

• RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Davis @ Oct. 03 2003,12wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The "random" battles in that game were probably the most egregious offender. I hated wandering around levels and having to fight the same five plus heartless goons every time I walked into a room. That's not fun; I shouldn't be punished for exploring that much.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree with this. ?Especially in places like Monstruo, where exploring was confusing to start with, getting nailed by the same encounters again and again, while trying to figure out where the heck you are and how to get where you want to go, got tedious after awhile. ?They did balance it a bit by not giving you encounters if you backtracked only a room or two. ?

The Colosseum (is "Coliseum" as used in KH really a valid spelling of the word?) seems tailor-made for power-levellers...and storywise, once the keyhole is sealed on a particular world, it didn't make much sense for the Heartless to continue invading it.

I'm glad Nomura and co. are taking some of the complaints about the first KH into account while developing the second. ?If they wanted to, they could churn out identical, and identically flawed stuff for several games, and still make piles of money off of it.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rosewood @ Oct. 03 2003,12:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I agree with this. ?Especially in places like Monstruo, where exploring was confusing to start with, getting nailed by the same encounters again and again, while trying to figure out where the heck you are and how to get where you want to go, got tedious after awhile. ?They did balance it a bit by not giving you encounters if you backtracked only a room or two. ?

The Colosseum (is "Coliseum" as used in KH really a valid spelling of the word?) seems tailor-made for power-levellers...and storywise, once the keyhole is sealed on a particular world, it didn't make much sense for the Heartless to continue invading it.

I'm glad Nomura and co. are taking some of the complaints about the first KH into account while developing the second. ?If they wanted to, they could churn out identical, and identically flawed stuff for several games, and still make piles of money off of it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I liked the coliseum... It had an excellent story and many essential items. Most of the tournaments had plotlines of their own, too.

The heartless were after the Keybearer. They only seemed to appear when Sora & co. got there, anyway...

Ain't that the truth?! laugh.gif I'd buy up every one of them with the same, flawed system.