If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What is the HARDEST RPG you have ever played?

Comments

• agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ Oct. 09 2003,21:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, since others (not myself mind you) consider it an RPG, Zelda 2, Adventire of Link for NES.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would be one of the "other" who considers zelda 2 an RPG (not the others in the series, mind you).

Zelda 2, tied with 7th Saga, are the two most difficult RPGs I've ever played--for different reasons, of course. Zelda 2 was as if the game was alwyas set on "hard mode", while 7th saga was ... different.

Not-so-ironically, zelda 2 is one of my favorite games of all time laugh.gif
  • squonksquonk Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    Link for the nes had sooo many rpg elements in it. ?Exp, magic, energy, items, etc... Even the battle systems except the castles... ?It was one of the hardest rpgs ever when I was little. ?To this day I find very few people who can beat shadow link.

Does anyone consider festers quest a rpg? If so that was pretty hard.

Maniac mansion was also a really hard game.

• generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Throw in another vote for Alundra. I also found Illusion of Gaia to have some really challenging parts, especially towards the end. Ankor Wat, or whatever it was called, was pretty brutal for me. Also, I think the NES version of FF1 had some moderate challenge to it. The Ice Cave was always a huge chore getting out of alive, and the enemies you have to face along the river to get there were really tough. By the time you actually reached the cave, you were already partially drained.
  • NeoNessNeoNess Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Maniac Mansion isn't that difficult.. I've been playing it since I was around 7 or 8 now.

Hardest RPG? Probably Vagrant Story.
  • HibikiHibiki Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    thanks Growlanser for the nice welcoming biggrin.gif
    want to also reply to your post... im glad you agree that Wild Arms was a hard RPG. it was tough to get about in the start, with the character selecting system. 1st time i played i chose to play as Rudy, after accomplishing his little mission i was given again, the option to pick between the 3 characters, again i pick Rudy because he looked like a cool guy. from that point, i just wandered around the world of Filgaia and had no idead what to do. after i was stuck there for some time, i decided to restart the game and pick Jack or Cecilia after and eventually got through smile.gif

And a reply for "squonk", im not saying that your insane or nothing here tounge.gif but i dont know how Wild Arms was ####ing easy, for me personally. but i do have a posibility........
    Well, everyone should know that the 1st time they ever played an RPG game that it was kind of confusing and boring (or was it just me) Wild Arms was my 2nd PRG i ever played, 1st was Final Fantasy VII. i can still remember my 1st opinion i had on the type of battle systems RPGs had, for instance with Final Fantasy VII when i got into a battle, i thought that it sucked because you had to select your character to attack a monster, i was like " Why can't you just run up to the monsters with the D-Pad and chop them up with the X button?" but as time went by i started to enjoy RPGs alot!

anyways what im trying to say is, Wild Arms was my 2nd RPG i ever played, maybe it was hard for me and not for you "squonk" because i didnt have much EXP with RPG games at that time sad.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hibiki: I did the EXACT same thing as you in WA.
  • allenrileyallenriley New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hardest RPG I've played has to be Saga Frontier 2. The tactical battle at the end of the first scenario is won only through sheer luck, and the last dungeon in the second requires an incredible amount of leveling to tackle.
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Thats the problem with RPGs of today... they arent hard! I have to agree with whoever said that FFTactics was hard, not becuase of difficulty, but rather length. Tactics was frickin' long.
  • josephg_333josephg_333 New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Ogre Battle (SNES) is one of the few that I cannot beat. I'd get half way through, and then my alignment would take a nice sized dip, run out of money, couldn't deploy my units, etc... it was all quite the mess. Of course, on the other hand, I absoloutely own at Ogre Battle 64, which I found to be easy once I got the hang of it. So, I guess my vote goes to Ogre Battle, mostly for poor design, and me not having the patience enough to get used to it.
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Personally I'd say the hardest part of Illusion of Gaia was the hidden boss, though it was a pleasant, if nostalgic, surprise when I fought him.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JankenTheGreat @ Oct. 11 2003,19:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Thats the problem with RPGs of today... they arent hard! I have to agree with whoever said that FFTactics was hard, not becuase of difficulty, but rather length. Tactics was frickin' long.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Tactics long? Go play Dark Wizard *3 hours if lucky per battle*. 3 hours per battle man!!!! *that's on easy*

FF Tactics was a disgrace to a strategy rpg. Go back to snes and play tenchi. Go play Bahamut Lagoon *this is also a disgrace to strategy rpgs from what I have played so far*. Go play the original Shining Force and Shining Force 2. Go play Grandia for sega saturn.

Strategy rpgs are suppossed to be long. Tactics was short for me. I could get through battles in like 20 minutes.. The only long part was the story. I didn't even like the story.

I can't sit here and tell you kids what is hard what was hard, I can just say from playing all the rpgs that I have played, the hardest games for me are the ones I mentioned.

Even though dragon warrior 1 was extremely hard for me at the age of 7, I don't go back and say hey that was a hard rpg for me.... I look at how I could play through it right now... Would dragon warrior 1 be hard again? Hell No! It's just long and boring!

If you seriously found tactics hard because
    a-it was your first time playing that type of rpg, then you're stupid.
    b-because it was long? Long in what way? The battle system? By far that battle system was cake especially the end guy... *throw a rock get 5exp* Hahahahaha.
    c-the only part of that game that was even slightly difficult *you levelled up too fast and the guys grew stronger* awh you needed to think a little bit harder...

THE END GUY FOR FINAL FANTASY TACTICS WAS A BITCH!
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (josephg_333 @ Oct. 11 2003,20:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ogre Battle (SNES) is one of the few that I cannot beat. ?I'd get half way through, and then my alignment would take a nice sized dip, run out of money, couldn't deploy my units, etc... it was all quite the mess. ?Of course, on the other hand, I absoloutely own at Ogre Battle 64, which I found to be easy once I got the hang of it. ?So, I guess my vote goes to Ogre Battle, mostly for poor design, and me not having the patience enough to get used to it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The money situation... ?Learn to find hidden items and sell them. ?Don't level up, charge!!!! ?Don't lose towns! ?Conquer each and every town! ?If you need money, conquer all towns and just wait!!!!!! ?*don't level up!* ?If you still need help, look at a faq.. ?*when I say wait, I mean wait like 10 days to go by* ?You will never run out of money... ?When you're waiting put the troopps back inside the barracks *don't deploy them again* ? *useless troops=big loss in money* ?Don't deploy stupid troops just because you think they are cool. ?Be careful to not level up so quickly! ?Fight in order ?*if you're fighting in level 17 guys who are in level 22, ?maybe you should take a different path*. ?If you're fighting guys in level 22 who are in level 18, you chose the wrong path, start over* ?Or don't and let your rating fall... ?I don't care personally. ?*each choice is critical to your rating, make the people love you* ?Try using the save states to make the correct choice k? ?It will take you like a month of sporadically playing the game to get through it. ?It's tough, but don't give up so easily.

You can beat the game with your rating being absolute ####! Just like level up, use the same troops every battle, save money, etc...* I never had money trouble... I don't know why you would... *unless you wanted to get special bonuses at the end of each stage* In that case, uhm yeah you need those bonuses...

• DagtaDagta New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Phantasy Star I and II rank in the hardest I've played.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (squonk @ Oct. 12 2003,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (josephg_333 @ Oct. 11 2003,20:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ogre Battle (SNES) is one of the few that I cannot beat. ?I'd get half way through, and then my alignment would take a nice sized dip, run out of money, couldn't deploy my units, etc... it was all quite the mess. ?Of course, on the other hand, I absoloutely own at Ogre Battle 64, which I found to be easy once I got the hang of it. ?So, I guess my vote goes to Ogre Battle, mostly for poor design, and me not having the patience enough to get used to it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The money situation... ?Learn to find hidden items and sell them. ?Don't level up, charge!!!! ?Don't lose towns! ?Conquer each and every town! ?If you need money, conquer all towns and just wait!!!!!! ?*don't level up!* ?If you still need help, look at a faq.. ?*when I say wait, I mean wait like 10 days to go by* ?You will never run out of money... ?When you're waiting put the troopps back inside the barracks *don't deploy them again* ? *useless troops=big loss in money* ?Don't deploy stupid troops just because you think they are cool. ?Be careful to not level up so quickly! ?Fight in order ?*if you're fighting in level 17 guys who are in level 22, ?maybe you should take a different path*. ?If you're fighting guys in level 22 who are in level 18, you chose the wrong path, start over* ?Or don't and let your rating fall... ?I don't care personally. ?*each choice is critical to your rating, make the people love you* ?Try using the save states to make the correct choice k? ?It will take you like a month of sporadically playing the game to get through it. ?It's tough, but don't give up so easily.

You can beat the game with your rating being absolute ####! ?Just like level up, use the same troops every battle, save money, etc...* ?I never had money trouble... ?I don't know why you would... ?*unless you wanted to get special bonuses at the end of each stage* ?In that case, uhm yeah you need those bonuses...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As a general opinion, I think any game mechanic which punishes you for having leveled up is one retarded beyond measure.

And *looks up to the 'Dark Wizard' comment*

Ye must be one of those who enjoyed those 4 day/round strategy games of yore.

*Shakes head*

Dracos
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Ultima:Exodus. With its horribly done 3D dungeons that made you want to drive a big spike through your head. I started playing that game in 6th grade and finished it in high school.
    edited October 2003
    I agree about Dark Wizard. I only actually completed that game with 2 of the 8 possible characters. It was long and difficult.
    -DAGTA
  • Jack Van BuraceJack Van Burace Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    One of the only RPGs I have had a hard time with was Beyond the Beyond. Like most RPGs it's not really because the game is hard but because it's just so hard to play through. That game almost drove me insane. I keep getting stuck and dieing and...and...And I think I need to take my pills now, brb.
    edited October 2003
    Beyond The Beyond was fairly easy if you understood the concept of attacking certain enemies before attacking others. The only hard part about that game was the energy level and the amount of times you missed hitting guys and taking enough damage away to kill them. Other than that, it was an easy rpg.

The original phantasy star is pretty hard, good comment smile.gif.

Dark Wizard only has 4 characters not 8.

I like rpgs that make you seriously think about money, time, and strategic moves in order to beat it. Dark Wizard was a very long game that you had to really pay attention and fight for. Each quest got harder as you went through the characters. The end guys almost seemed impossible at times if you weren't prepared. The game is really challenging at times and it makes the gameplay incredibly hard and almost impossible at times.

3 hour battles aren't for everyone, but if you #### up, or if you don't level up correctly, you will pay the price in the end. DW offers about 800 hours of gameplay 200 per character. Even if you only do one quest, you're getting more out of the game, and learning more about how to attack in other rpgs that just makes other games soo much easier.

I can remember when I used to find Shining Force and Shining Force 2 incredibly hard and almost impossible. I can go through the first one without dying now. The second one I still find some parts a little tricky, but that's what makes the game soo good. It's not impossible it's just a strategy.

FFT wasn't a good strategy rpg, It was wayyyy too easy, and like I said, the end guy was A BITCH! I think the end guy hit me one time and like took away 100 energy or something from one character. *It's like hey guys uh we made an easy rpg but this is by far the easiest end guy you will ever face*. Go play Shining Force for sega genesis if you think you can handle strategy rpgs now. That game will drive you *in ####ing sane*. Especially since you thought FFT was hard.

I thought of another really tough rpg that most of you will never play.

Taloons rpg or quest or whatever it was. That was a bitch.
    Then of course we have one for sega genesis that is hard as hell. I think it starts with a E like eternal or something. Crazy hard.

Then the last one was made for the nes called beyond shadowgate or just shadowgate. I don't remember. That game was also really hard.
    edited October 2003
    For the kid who likes Beyond The Beyond and is really into playing it and beating it. Go play VAY for sega cd after you finish it. It's also decently hard for most people. I expect you to find the game hard but not impossible if you can beat Final Fantasy 1 and Beyond The Beyond. I don't suggest that any of you play VAY thinking oh this is a cool rpg and it will be easy. VAY isn't easy! It falls into a category 4 out of 5 difficulty rating. I don't think it's impossible to beat or play, but if you are not a rpg fan, YOU WILL DIE! You will not beat the game if you're not a rpg fan.
    edited October 2003
    Vay definitely had some tough parts, especially the Wind Elemental. There's also at least three areas of that game that I stop and level for a while.

One thing I really liked about Dark Wizard was the off shoots to the story lines. They were usually well hidden but worth the effort of finding and completing.
    -DAGTA
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Oct. 11 2003,13:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hibiki: I did the EXACT same thing as you in WA.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I didn't, but once I'd gone through the three characters' scenarios I had no idea how to get them together. There's at least one other place in the game where you're given no direction as to where to go next.

That's an example where the game isn't hard, but the design is bad, IMO. The bad design in its way made the game easy for me, because I'd leveled up so much wandering around lost, that I was able to take out the final boss in three rounds. confused.gif
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    FFIV was really difficult when I first got my hands on it. After I leveled up forever I managed to get through it. Now its pretty easy because I've played it so much.

Breath of Fire is pretty hard for me. I haven't played it in forever, but the game play and the challenge just made it really hard. My patience is too thin to play it.
  • Evil King StanEvil King Stan Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I heard Unlimited SaGa was hard too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I hate that game. So very much. So very very much. I was looking forward to it, but was very very disappointed in it.

Anyway, I'de say that the hardest RPG I've played is... *Shrugs* I honestly don't know... Most of them are pretty easy...
  • NinaNina Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, since others (not myself mind you) consider it an RPG, Zelda 2, Adventire of Link for NES.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That is an RPG and yes its fecking hard! i still havent beat it after 14 years...O_o

Xenogears was one of the hardest RPGs ive ever played...
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm with you on that Zelda II was extremely difficult. I couldn't even beat it with cheat codes confused.gif
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow X @ Oct. 14 2003,16:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"FFIV was really difficult when I first got my hands on it. ?After I leveled up forever I managed to get through it. ?Now its pretty easy because I've played it so much.

Breath of Fire is pretty hard for me. I haven't played it in forever, but the game play and the challenge just made it really hard. ?My patience is too thin to play it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There are certain parts in Final Fantasy 4 aka 2 that are extremely hard. Like fighting the time limit in the robot, fighting the time limit with end guys, etc... This added a new dimension to rpgs and most haven't continued. Like even with FF7 the beginning seemed to take off as a FF4 production, but of course it turned out to be incredibly easy.

FF4 can be difficult for people who didn't understand how to use magic and fight against elementals as well as like unequipping metallic armor and using just wooden stuff. However, those were expected for you to understand. Later on in the ff series, they would allow players an oppurtunity in understanding the elementals and how to attack them. Me personally, I think Nintendo power just got tired of people asking how to beat an elemental end guy.

FF4 is a rpg that I must've died over 70x while playing when I was younger. If I was to play it today, I would go through the game in 3 days maximum, getting every item, and beating the boss without even taking notice of what was going on. The end palace was extremely difficult, I will give it that. The robot was also hard, and the end guys were generally hard. I can't say that the entire game was absurd. Odin seemed impossible to me. I can remember fighting Odin for a long time. I can also remember trying to be Leviathan for a long time as well. Once I got the hang of it though, the game was cake. Sure you died a few times *probably less than me*, but today it doesn't seem as hard as it did when I was 9. It is by far the hardest final fantasy they ever created, oh wait no it's not FINAL FANTASY 1 WAS SOOO MUCH HARDER! FF1 is the only really hard final fantasy there is. 4 aka 2 comes in second place. FF4 aka FF2 is one of my favorite rpgs of all time. I can no longer say it's hard though. I personally fell in love with the entire story of the game and I thought that no game would ever compete with it. To this day, I don't think I have played a game as well detailed as that game.

Everyone likes FF7.. FF7 lacked the growth of Cloud.

Everyone seemed to like FF8. FF8 lacked cool characters, and a storyline for every characters besides the love story. Sorry guys it fails. If someone could recommend me a rpg similar to FF4 it would be the greatest day of my life. I think I am still searching for something to fulfill that incomplete rpg quote as to match something as good as FF4.
  • Fitali44Fitali44 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I could cheat and say Tales of Destiny on the psx because i distinctly remember a part of the game where there was an impossible to obtain password and i HAD to give up and look up a guide.

Other than that Xenogears it is, there were really very challenging parts in that game not just off screen but also(maybe even mroe so) in battle where i usually play with minimal level building
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Zelda 2 is definately up there in the toughest RPG's I've played. But not impossibly difficult tounge.gif
  • allineedallineed Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    FFVII. Definety easy but man Ruby and Emerald weapon kick my bum all over the place!!!!