If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Do you think titles should be for everyone ?

edited December 2003 in Site & Forum Support
Well a little while ago there was some debate as to wether or not titles should be for all to have or as a reward for people. I think that they be rewarded seeing as just having one " cheapens " it. There is no satifaction in getting a title if everybody has one. Its like if I said " i have breasts" well you would be compelled to say "yeah more than 3 billion people on this planet have breasts to big deal ".

Comments

• jiroo_chan_007jiroo_chan_007 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    *Shakes his head*

I can just see it now on a poor newbie's title "I have breasts"

I have a feeling that this discussion might not last to long, as I have pretty much rested my case.

As stated in the previous forum. I beleive that having a title for everyone wouldlent nessarily cheepen the title. It might give you an intresting consept on how someone sees themselves.

However I do agree that is is not worth the hassle of the filter.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Must...refrain...from "branding"...Elhaym Van Houten...
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 14 2003,16:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Must...refrain...from "branding"...Elhaym Van Houten...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Um....why?
    edited October 2003
    Because I don't particularly want to see "I have breasts" every time she posts. ;)
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 14 2003,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Because I don't particularly want to see "I have breasts" every time she posts. ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How about "I don't have breasts"? laugh.gif
  • Lord DycedargLord Dycedarg Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Ah! But she does have breasts? please don?t beat me Elly.
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I think with the opportunity to have our own avatars and sig pictures, we've already got plenty of opportunity to express ourselves. ?I wouldn't change a thing about the way titles are currently given, even if that does make me highly unlikely to ever have one.

edit: Damn LD!! You've got your own group?? I hate to say it, but I'm kinda jealous...

• Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 14 2003,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Because I don't particularly want to see "I have breasts" every time she posts. ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Milhouse Van Houten would be funny tounge.gif
    ...unless she's a Simpsons fan.
    edited October 2003
    Hey! Can we please stop thinking of ways to brand my girlfreind.
  • wind~of~fatewind~of~fate Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Personally, getting to change and create your title would be cool. When I saw the mod's titles I wanted to make my own creative one. When I figured out I couldn't I felt pretty sad. I mean, mods are people just like the rest of us. Why is it that we, the common RPGamer, cannot and the mods can change theirs whenever the heck they please?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wind~of~fate @ Oct. 14 2003,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why is it that we, the common RPGamer, cannot and the mods can change theirs whenever the heck they please?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If it makes you feel any better, they can't change their titles whenever the heck they please either.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wind~of~fate @ Oct. 14 2003,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why is it that we, the common RPGamer, cannot and the mods can change theirs whenever the heck they please?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Moderators can't change their titles at will. ?The administrators ? Rico and LordBrian ? are the only ones who can grant and remove titles.

Edit: Rico beat me to it.

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Wait a minute... I thought we were talking about Breasts?

Seriously though, I think at one point this topic has been debated to death. At it's core it's still used on people who did something witty, or people who did something dumb. I agreed with jiroo before, but I think it should be left as what it is now.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" I mean, mods are people just like the rest of us.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Are you sure? generator could very well be a chess playing computer program that leaked into the internet.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why is it that we, the common RPGamer, cannot and the mods can change theirs whenever the heck they please?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think they're too worried about the common RPGamer, but more about the common internet lamer who sign up only to make an offensive post. Dealing with the lamer's post is a big enough pain in the ass, let alone changing whatever offensive sig, avatar, and would be title they may put up.

Edit: 2gunsfiring_v1.gif (Spelling ERROR)

• wind~of~fatewind~of~fate Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm glad you changed your sig Hobo. It creeped me out...
    edited October 2003
    I think that titles are evil.
  • THEDARKONE4THEDARKONE4 Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    Why? You don't have a title.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Having a title doesn't make you a big shot so stop acting so. I've had this title a long time, but it isn't anything special.
  • THEDARKONE4THEDARKONE4 Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Oct. 14 2003,20:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Having a title doesn't make you a big shot so stop acting so. I've had this title a long time, but it isn't anything special.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think that I am a big shot. I was just saying that because I think that LD thinks that he has a title, but he doesn't and that is what led him to say that he thinks titles are evil.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well from the way I read it. You seemed to mock him; in that the only reason he hates title is because he doesn't have one.
    edited October 2003
    No I don't think that ,you said I do. Also whenever you say I dont have a title all you're doing is repeating what Rico already pointed out. Good going Mr.wittey !
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Having the benefits of a free website means that we accept how it's run. ?We can hope the Admins are fair, but the fact is they can be as fair, or as unfair, or as capricious, as they want. ?

I appreciate some things about how this board is run (I haven't been here long as you can see), and other things I appreciate less. ?But, as a (supposedly) sensible person, if the bad things end up outweighing the good IMO some day, I know the sensible thing to do.

Edit: Missed actually talking about the topic. tounge.gif I like the idea of giving titles to people that the Admins feel deserve it. The idea of giving uncomplimentary titles, I don't like quite as well. But I can see the threat of an awful title as a way to "encourage" good behavior.

• generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Are you sure? generator could very well be a chess playing computer program that leaked into the internet.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was also programmed to excel in Yahoo! checkers. ?You don't want none of this. ?100010010110. ?Whoops..

Debug me!
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Ah, A weakness! I challenge ye to Excel! Databasing at dawn, oh Generator!

^_~

Dracos
  • TagarthTagarth Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 14 2003,18:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Must...refrain...from "branding"...Elhaym Van Houten...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Space ghost knows all about branding tounge.gif
    Just ask him!
    DO IT NOW!
    BLAH!
  • Hazel-Eyed LionHazel-Eyed Lion Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Did someone say "breasts"......?
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hazel-Eyed Lion @ Oct. 16 2003,18:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Did someone say "breasts"......?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes.
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm starting to get tired of all the complaining about titles. Its getting REALLY REALLY old.
    edited October 2003
    Then you should probably stop looking in the threads about titles. Just a suggestion, of course.
  • Hazel-Eyed LionHazel-Eyed Lion Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Heh heh heh.

Buh-ZING!