If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

FFX-2 Preview!

LaoKLaoK MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
This update, in recommended reading order:

Preview

Jobs List

Vehement Comments (simply scroll down)

Comments

• Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    This game is gonna be pretty cool if you ask me...more Replay value the only6 thing it is missing is Converting your FFX Save on to it (Like Suikoden and Arc the Lad)...or can you?
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    It doesn't really matter if this game is good or not, I'll be buying it anyway... although, I must say that I was happy to read of such nice things about the game.

The job system is always enjoyable, too. Let's just hope they didn't ruin it.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Halcyon GaiaHalcyon Gaia Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    RPGamer changed the release date FFX-2 to November 18! Is this right? I should call GameStop tomorrow...
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited October 2003
    After reading this preview, I'm going to have to give X-2 another chance. ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • The Emperor KingThe Emperor King Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    i dont understand why people are beginning to say "ill give it a chance" or "it might be good". this game is something unique in the series. i mean, sure, the story may not be what you expect, or want, it to be, but get over it. thats what happens in sequels: the creator makes the story continue as he sees fit. i think every final fantasy player should play the game just to see the possibilities, plus the fact that it is a final fantasy game.

about the jobs, they look very interesting. it dont seem like there are many physical attacking jobs, but there is room to customize each character to your liking, so it can be forgiven.
  • jiroo_chan_007jiroo_chan_007 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hey, did I mention my name was John! *grins* OMG how did they know I LOVE THIS GAME!
  • ocarina_hyruleocarina_hyrule New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    over here in the uk if i buy Unlimited Saga it comes with ? Eternal Calm, Final Fantasy X-2: Prologue DVD, (short film linking FFX and FFX-2 together) its out and the end of October

do you get that over in the states? FFX-2 probably wont be out in the UK till next year which is a bummer !

• AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Good job on the preview, LaoK. You and Cain did a great job on the job list too. Very cool.

I'm looking forward to this game too. It's on my Christmas list. I think it will be interesting to see Square Enix experiment with new things. I don't think this spells doom for the rest of the games though. This is just some funky and fresh thing they are doing with a side-story title. It's not part of the main series. I see it as just some quirky little side project they did to experiment with new styles. Whether those styles work or not, it all amounts to experience for Square Enix. I don't care for the skimpy costumes or the J-Pop, and it's good to know that the entire game isn't like that. Plus, I'm looking forward to hearing that new Chocobo music remix. smile.gif

• Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    HA! I looked at the Job List first, and the preview second. I'm living on the edge. tounge.gif Anyway the game looks good, hope the Job system is as fun as always.
  • Mr. ALXNDRMr. ALXNDR New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I will probably enjoy FFX-2, just as much (if not more..) as I enjoyed playing FFX. People have complained that there was no world map to travel on, or the character art designs being ugly. Personally, I didn't think it was that bad not to have a world map, because in the first place, I didn't even notice there wasn't one 'till an hour into the game. As for the designs, I would have to agree, but that didn't prevent me from liking the game overall.

FFX-2 is no exception - it will be a continuation to a love story, perhaps with more adventure. I'm glad FFX-3 was ruled out of the picture, though.. tounge.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Hey, I've been too lazy to register despite coming here often, but for this game I just had to know something.

How is the localization done? Maybe I've just missed it wherever it was written, but I haven't read anything on whether or not original Japanses Language with subtitles will be an option, or if all of it will be dubed with no choice. And if it is, what about the things like the music video looking intro? Anyone know?

Thanks
  • LaoKLaoK Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the non-vehement coments, everyone. Today is my day for being proven wrong, it seems. Both PyreofVoid and "andrew" have found the word "Berserker" in dictionaries. The Job List should be amended to ..."it apparently, according to MS Word Spellcheck, isn't a word." Should be... but probably won't. biggrin.gif

As always, happy to hear your comments.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Emperor King @ Oct. 18 2003,23:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i dont understand why people are beginning to say "ill give it a chance" or "it might be good". this game is something unique in the series.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I said it because when I played it at E3, I was completely disgusted at what I saw. Since I pretty much made this clear in my impressions, I thought I'd mention it. :>
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Converting your FFX Save on to it (Like Suikoden and Arc the Lad)...or can you?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Unfortunately they did not add this feature in the North American version(nor current Japanese version) but Final Fantasy X-2: International will have the added feature to access a "Final Mission" that sends you through an entirely new adventure, which you can read about in the news story that is posted on RPGamer unless i'm mistaken.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Halcyon Gaia @ Oct. 19 2003)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"RPGamer changed the release date FFX-2 to November 18! ?Is this right? ?I should call GameStop tomorrow...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, the North American release has been re-scheduled for November 18th, though no reason was given by Square Enix USA at this time. More than likely they're just ahead of schedule in the localization.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"FFX-2 probably wont be out in the UK till next year which is a bummer ![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, EA Partners announced a few months ago that they were teaming up with Square Enix Europe to release the title in Q1 2004.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How is the localization done? ?Maybe I've just missed it wherever it was written, but I haven't read anything on whether or not original Japanses Language with subtitles will be an option, or if all of it will be dubed with no choice. ?And if it is, what about the things like the music video looking intro? ?Anyone know?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    According to Square Enix U.S.A. there will only be dubbing with the same voice actor(s)(esses) that were in the NTSC U/C(North America) version of FFX. No Japanese vocals, no subbing, but the music video should remain intact. The lip-syncing of course will be off but i don't pay attention to that when i'm playing games anyway.

Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TidusTidus Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm going to have to disagree on the whole music aspect of the game after hearing the battle theme and the victory theme with it..I wish they brought the music from FFX back for the battle theme even though I know Nobuo didn't do this game's music.

Same with the minigame music..blech! I guess I'll have to put it on mute through the battles or something just so I can see the neat backstory within the game.

Oh yea..according to Square Enix USA it's going to be released in December, not November.

Or so says their site news anyway.

Here's the thing if ya don't believe me:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"LOS ANGELES, Calif., September 2, 2003 - Square Enix U.S.A., Inc. ("Square Enix USA"), the publisher of Square Enix? products in North America, announced today that FINAL FANTASY? X-2, the direct sequel to FINAL FANTASY X, for the PlayStation?2 computer entertainment system and the first all-female-led FINAL FANTASY game, will ship to retailers early December 2003. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

• Options
    edited October 2003
    Yes Square-Enix did say that, but that was back on Sept. 2. Near the end of the September most online retailers changed the tenative release date to that in November. Let us hope that it stays in Nov.
  • DeathDeath Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    cool.........
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ocarina_hyrule @ Oct. 19 2003,09:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"over here in the uk if i buy Unlimited Saga it comes with Eternal Calm, Final Fantasy X-2: Prologue DVD, (short film linking FFX and FFX-2 together)...

do you get that over in the states?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, the Eternal Calm video (English translation) will be on the November
    OPM magazine demo disc..... not sure it there will be other ways to get it.

(Heh. Funny typos. As I first wrote the above, my fingers slipped and produced....
    The Eternal CLAM! BWAHAHAHAHA! biggrin.gif )

(Don't mind me, just in a goofy mood....)
  • deepfrydeepfry New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kiralyn @ Oct. 20 2003,15:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, the Eternal Calm video (English translation) will be on the November
    OPM magazine demo disc..... not sure it there will be other ways to get it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, the Eternal Calm video (English translation) will be on the November
    OPM magazine demo disc..... not sure it there will be other ways to get it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Do you mean the "december" issue that will be sold in november or the "november" issue that is available now? Just curious because if it's the one now I'd like to pick it up to have that video.

I'm quite excited about FFX-2. I'm fairly new to console rpg gaming and so FFX was one of the first rpgs that I played (and finished). I really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to the continued adventures of yuna and co. even if it is an entirely different feel and they are going in a new direction. I think it looks quite fun and considering that all the action/rpgs have been delayed until early next year, this is the only other game I am looking at picking up in 2003. Of course, it was always going to be the biggest game I was planning on picking up, but now it's the only one, so I'm looking forward to it that much more.

Anyways, I'm new here but just wanted to post to get the clarification in regards to which issue of opm the eternal calm video will appear in. Thanks!
  • TidusTidus Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Macstorm @ Oct. 20 2003,06:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes Square-Enix did say that, but that was back on Sept. 2. Near the end of the September most online retailers changed the tenative release date to that in November. Let us hope that it stays in Nov.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I looked on their news thing and their latest news was Oct. 6th which was past the whole "end of Sept. change of release" and it didn't say a word about it being changed to Nov. 18th.

I don't really believe online retailers anyway (since I tend to go toward the source of the news), but I hope you are right on the issue of it being released that soon.

I would think that if the schedule was changed though, that they would have some news about it in there other than that December release thing instead of just notifying retailers about it (if that's what they did).

Also the stuff you hear from the game shops and such (like online game stores) are unofficial release dates, until Square-Enix confirms it that that's the real release date it's still December 3rd for me.

Or early December anyway.

• KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (deepfry @ Oct. 20 2003,19:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyways, I'm new here but just wanted to post to get the clarification in regards to which issue of opm the eternal calm video will appear in. Thanks![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Okay, I checked my current issue, and it says the next issue is "December
    2003, On sale Nov. 4"

Includes a playable demo, behind the scenes video, and "Exclusive!
    Eternal Calm prequel (the only place you'll ever see it in English!)"

Personally, I can't wait for that one to arrive (hope my subscription isn't
    late... smile.gif
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    hehe, thank you Alethea. It was certainly...interesting.

As for the update, I'm so looking forward to this game as I'm an avid FFX fan.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    This was a very nicely done preview. I liked how you put a picture next to the descriptions of the jobs.

"Alchemist" sounds better than "Item Shooter" to me. smile.gif There was an Alchemist class in the English version of FFT (at least), so there's some continuity there. It's cool that there are new classes too--I'm looking forward to playing the game and finding out how the mechanics work for myself!
  • Noble GruntyNoble Grunty Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alethea @ Oct. 19 2003,10:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Plus, I'm looking forward to hearing that new Chocobo music remix. smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I seem to recall being disappointed by it, listening to the FFX-2 soundtrack. Though that might have been the FF11:VoZ soundtrack which had the screwy/unpleasant chocobo song.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing the game. Pushing it up to November was a nice surprise.
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Noble Grunty @ Oct. 22 2003,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alethea @ Oct. 19 2003,10:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Plus, I'm looking forward to hearing that new Chocobo music remix. smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I seem to recall being disappointed by it, listening to the FFX-2 soundtrack. ?Though that might have been the FF11:VoZ soundtrack which had the screwy/unpleasant chocobo song.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing the game. ?Pushing it up to November was a nice surprise.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    After FFX's awesome Chocobo theme, anything would be disappointing.