If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

SE announces remake of DQ5

RicoRico MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
Exciting news for Dragon Quest fans can be found right here. Hopefully this'll eventually be good news for Dragon Quest fans outside of Japan, too.

Comments

• deathbunnydeathbunny New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    This is very cool. I've always wanted to see the rest of the Heaven's story line, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    I'm still crying over the last minute cancellation of the remake for IV. sad.gif
  • NeostormNeostorm Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    That's cool and all, but Dragon Quest V was the nearly the worst installment in the series. Why not 4 (again) or 6?
  • SummonerSummoner Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    That?s cool,I only had played dq7 i think in ps tht a friend gave me to pass a certain riddle he was stuck,and that?s all,I look forward in this remake smile.gif
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    Matrix Software? Never heard of 'em. Great news, though.
  • trickwaterstrickwaters Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    *gasp* Holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap.

This is very exciting news. ?I still want my Dragon Quest IV Remake, but this certainly inspires hope that they'll be bringing out a third remake.

• Xanthus179Xanthus179 New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that immediately thought of DW4 after seeing this news post.

I gained new hope for that remake after Enix teamed up with Square, and I'm certainly gaining hope again now.
  • djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    All I have to say is... It's about time!!!! I was wondering if we'd ever be able to see any translations / compliations of any Dragon Quest / Warrior games in the near future... I've only been able to see Dragon Quest V in emulated verison that weren't translated... Now all they need to do is get Dragon Quest IV and VI translated and bring it to PS2... I still have all 4 original Dragon Warrior games for the NES... And I have Dragon Warrior VII.... I hope they plan on remaking Dragon Quest IV - VI just like Dragon Warrior VII...

They also need the think about translating another game that hasn't been translated yet... Final Fantasy 3... You know the one where your 4 little boys and you start off in a cave... The first actual job system....

And how about Bahamut Lagoon.... That looks like a good strategy game that needs to get translated and brought to the PS2....
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Ummm....Dragon Warrior 4 HAS been remade. It'll never be released in the states though (though I do hope I have to eat those words someday)

I'd be willing to bet that in a year or two, a GBA port of DQ5 will be made as well. Enix seems to follow a trend. Remake the DQ games for a console, then follow it up with a portable version.

I'd like to see FF3 someday maybe but Bahamut Lagoon is best left in Japan. IMO, that game was absolutely awful...
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neostorm @ Oct. 29 2003,00:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That's cool and all, but Dragon Quest V was the nearly the worst installment in the series. ?Why not 4 (again) or 6?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would assume because those three games are a sub-series, and it wouldn't make much sense to skip over the middle on to release the last or re-remake the first.
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Otterland @ Oct. 29 2003,05:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Matrix Software? Never heard of 'em. Great news, though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Matrix Software are the one that did Alundra for the ps1 If Im not mistaken, if they are! then DQ5 is in good hands!!!!

• WonderslimeWonderslime Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    After playing the Dragon Quest V Translation, I personally think that it's one of the BEST of the series, because it's told in such a unique way and has a pretty dramatic and interesting story. I absolutely hope with all the hope I can muster that they will think to translate this game and bring it across the big Pacific.

Think...there are a lot more obscure games than Dragon Quest that make "the translation cut" all the time, regardless of how well they end up selling, for all sorts of consoles-- so why should Dragon Quest, a fairly well-known and respected name among video games even in North America today, be a Japan-exclusive thing?? Why?!? Argh....(big sigh for Dragon Quest IV...)

From the few images, though- the game (DQV) looks absolutely awesome!!!
    edited October 2003
    Well, assuming you weren't being rhetorical, the reason DQ V and VI never made it here, and the IV remake was cancelled is because the companies who would have been responsible for doing so went bankrupt or dissolved.
  • WonderslimeWonderslime Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    No no, I understand that- it was exactly as you suggested, a rhetorical question (or series thereof). ALTHOUGH, it seems to me that not getting another company to finish the job is a bit of a cop-out. They're a fairly big company- I'm sure they could throw some weight around if they wanted to.
    edited October 2003
    Enix Japan has never really cared about North America. The DQ series could easily be a lot larger here with some larger advertising budgets and so on. Part of the reasoning behind the Square merger was pretty much to make more money off the North American market without having to really make any extra effort. Enix America did throw around all sorts of ideas on how to localize the Dragon Quest IV remake without Heartbeat, but it would've taken a lot of money, and the time it would've taken for the code to be learned by another team would basically have killed any market viability the remake once had, with less and less PSX shelf space available and all.
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    I've played all the dragon warriors and of all of the 5 was by far the worse (It was horrible just bad compared to the rest of the Dragon warriors). I really wish they had released 4, the greatest game of all time biggrin.gif , or 6 which is a super good game. If they don't release Dragon warrior 4 soon I think I'm going to have to learn Japan just to play it, eh.gif I need those controllable characters bad and that 6th quest.