If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

This may not be a wise move...

Agent C.W. OrangeAgent C.W. Orange MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Site & Forum Support
Now, I would like to make one thing very clear. I am not trying to start any kind of trouble at all; although, I realize that by making this post, I am 'asking for it' in a sense. I honestly expect some nasty responses, but I am hoping for a few productive ones.

Here is my predicament.

I had posted a question concerning FF7 in the game help forum and the the Final Fantasy Forum. I'm kind of stuck in a spot in the game, so it is desired to get this message across to as many people as I can as quickly as possible. By doing so, I would recieve a response in a much shorter time. That is a simple matter of common sense, correct? In the rules, it is not said anywhere that posting the same statement in multiple forums was against the rules, so I had thought it was alright. The only thing that suggested such was the rule saying to use common sense, so I did. I didn't just post the question everywhere. I posted it in related forums. I wasn't just posting the question everywhere in a ridiculous manner that could be considered spamming or innapropriate. I simply put a short, to-the-point question in two of the many forums supplied here at RPGamer.com. Despite my attempts to do everything by the book, Kamikaze locked up the thread. I'm not trying to say that Kamikaze was in any way rude or mallevolent, he was rather actually polite about what he did. The only thing that I can infer about his action was that he has a more strict state of mind concerning the content of the forums.

Now, if I may be so bold as to make a request. May I be given a proper reason why my thread was locked and be priveliged with some explanation of how this action is justified. I would like to hope that the members of RPGamer.com are treated badly without an explanation. Yes, I do feel like I was treated poorly and I don't blush when I say it. I can accept this treatment if I am given a proper explanation and I won't say another word. I am a person that is at the fancy of logic, and I am sure that this post will meet logical eyes and recieve a logical post.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• JessiahJessiah Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    This sort of thing would be best suited in a P.M message. I can applaud what you are doing, but the admins may not think much of it...
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    You aren't supposed to make two topics on the same thing. That is against the rules, which is why they have a game-help forum in the first place. Otherwise, console games would be overrun with help questions. He was right to lock your thread and this one as well.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well...... you made a thread where you needed some help regarding FVII that I tried to answer, and posted it on both the FF sub-board and the Game Help section, right? The FF board is used primarily for discussions regarding FF excluding requests for help which should be posted on the Game Help section. The boards are subdivided in order to arrange the threads in proper fashion so people won't be confused when they're looking for a particular thread. The strictness you speak of is there in order to enforce some discipline and to organize things, so as not to let the boards degenerate into some mindless clutter similar to other boards on the net.
    edited October 2003
    I must be reading the wrong post here, because he said he made two posts not two topics. Those are two very different actions and as such should be... blah blah blah.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jessiah @ Oct. 29 2003,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I must be reading the wrong post here, because he said he made two posts not two topics. Those are two very different actions and as such should be... blah blah blah.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You got it. wink.gif he made two topics containing the exact same wording, one in the game help forum, the other in the FF forum. Now if we have a game help forum why would we want help topics in other threads? Used common sense indeed.

Edit: Poor wording.

edited October 2003
    Anyway... I'm going to wait for one of the admins( most likely Rico or Lord Brian) to post some wordy mish-mash then lock the topic and make the topic starter look exceedingly foolish in a witty way.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Agent C.W. Orange @ Oct. 29 2003,17:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Now, if I may be so bold as to make a request. May I be given a proper reason why my thread was locked and be priveliged with some explanation of how this action is justified. I would like to hope that the members of RPGamer.com are treated badly without an explanation. Yes, I do feel like I was treated poorly and I don't blush when I say it. I can accept this treatment if I am given a proper explanation and I won't say another word. I am a person that is at the fancy of logic, and I am sure that this post will meet logical eyes and recieve a logical post.

Thank you for your time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Okay, let's review:
    "Despite my attempts to do everything by the book, Kamikaze locked up the thread. I'm not trying to say that Kamikaze was in any way rude or mallevolent, he was rather actually polite about what he did."

Kamikaze did not lock both of your threads, just the one that was placed in a less-appropriate forum. He provided the following explanation: "You already posted in the Game Help forum, and that is where the thread belongs in the first place. Please do not do this sort of thing again." This is not only a proper reason why the thread was locked in the first place, it is an instance of a request from a staff member regarding appropriate post content. Note that, upon your registration with these message forums, you agreed to the following rule: "Comply with all requests from RPGamer staff regarding appropriate post content." This, really, is all the justification this should need.

Because I'm a fan of equestrian abuse, though, I'll keep going. Making the same topic or post multiple times, in the same place or in different places, is spam (specifically, flooding). This sort of behavior is expressly prohibited by the rules you agreed to upon signing up for these boards. In addition, one of the official board announcements, which you can find in the aptly-titled Announcements forum, includes this nice little tidbit: "Repeat topics will be locked when found except at the discretion of RPGamer's staff .?.?. Multiple repeat and/or incorrectly placed topics may result in disciplinary action at the administrators' discretion; You will likely be temporarily restricted from creating new topics."
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    buy the guide book for god sake or at least check out an FAQ!!!
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 29 2003,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"buy the guide book for god sake or at least check out an FAQ!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ....or ask about it in the Help Forum, just make sure it stays there.
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    If you want a response as fast as possible, go to gamefaqs. You'll get your respose as fast as your finger can click...
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ Oct. 29 2003,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you want a response as fast as possible, go to gamefaqs. ?You'll get your respose as fast as your finger can click...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Although, if you decide to go the gamefaqs route, I'd advise creating/deleting a subaccount for diverting the flood of spam you will be subjected to (deleting the account after you've sent the membership confirmation message, o'course). ?All that aside it's a great resource if you "need" help in a hurry.
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Since when do you have to sign up an account to check faqs?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm guessing that Rosewood misread your comment and thought you meant to join their infamous message boards to ask questions, rather than just read the FAQs and walkthroughs.