If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Quest V

ViperViper MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Latest Updates
Here's a first look at the new PS2 remake.

Comments

• djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well, from the pictures you can see, it looks like it will be great game.... Once it comes out, of course... I was only able to see the original Dragon Quest V via an emulated version on the PC... The fact that you can have monsters in your party is cool... Almost like Dragon Quest/Warrior Monsters...

I will be patiently awaiting for this title.... As well as for Dragon Quest/Warrior VIII... DQ/DW VIII has alot of potential to be the best game of the year next year.... We will just wait and see....
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    we may not get it thogh...but then again Square side of Square Enix is great about porting stuff...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • wind~of~fatewind~of~fate Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    My main question is this: What's up with the wedding music? Do Eiyu and Bianca get married or something? eh.gif
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    According to a certain source *cough*Rico*cough*, the game spans generations... I don't know personally since I haven't played it more then a few hours.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>*** DQ5 Spoilers that can't be covered by the tag ***</span></span>

Yes, you get married, and then some.
    Screenshots courtesy of my friend Xerox.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>*** DQ5 Spoilers that can't be covered by the tag ***</span></span>
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    "<span class="spoiler">You can also marry a purple-haired chick named Flora instead of Bianca halfway through the game.</span>"
    edited October 2003
    Marriage or no marriage... I just wanna play the game...

You know... I remember when I got Dragon Warrior for NES... Aahh yes.... It was a nice, sunny summer day... The wind was blowing slightly... I just picked it up from a local retailer... I was quite excited...

Now, 12 or 13 odd years later... And about 5 or 6 new video game systems later... We can finally play something that seemed only playable... If you were Japanese... and owned a Super Famicom or whatever next generation system Dragon Quest V came out on... Or have an emulated verison on your PC...

My hopes are they continue to remake some of the older games as well... Will we seen Dragon Quest VI remake sometime in the near future? What happened to Dragon Quest IV remake? And will there be a compliation of the first 3 Dragon Quest/Warrior remade games for a Gamecube or PS2? What does the future hold beyond Dragon Quest/Warrior VIII?

And not that I'm off the subect a little bit, but.... Will we also see remakes of some other Square/Squaresoft titles... Bahamut Lagoon is a good example.... How about Final Fantasy III(... you know... the one where your four little kids, stuck in the cave in the beginning of the game... The first actual job system... etc..etc..)

I've seen in a magazine somewhere.... I think Game Informer(October 2003 issue) in a gossip column, where there was talk of a Secret of Mana 2 remake possibly in the works... but it's just a rumor... Can anyone from RPGamer.com look into this for us... Thank you!!!
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (djgoku76 @ Oct. 31 2003,07:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Will we seen Dragon Quest VI remake sometime in the near future?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Probably.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What happened to Dragon Quest IV remake?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It was released.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And will there be a compliation of the first 3 Dragon Quest/Warrior remade games for a Gamecube or PS2?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They've already been re-released for the Super Famicom and the Game Boy Color, and the upcoming standalone Dragon Quest game is thought to e a remake of the first. Further remakes would be serious overkill.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What does the future hold beyond Dragon Quest/Warrior VIII?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    One would assume Dragon Quest IX.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Can anyone from RPGamer.com look into this for us...Thank you!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    a) We don't hide info on games. If we knew anything about a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake, it would be published on the site. Companies do not hide large pieces of info from the press unless that information is supposed to be private, so Square Enix isn't just waiting for a call from us to drop a bomb like a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake.
    b) If we were hiding info on a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake, it would be because we were asked to do so by Square Enix, and to publish anything about it would likely result in us being disallowed to cover Square Enix titles, or to be denied their press materials.

Conclusion: It's not worth it to ask us to investigate something like this.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Enix had once stated that the reasoning for the merger was to strengthen it's own market overseas. If you think about it, it's kind of logical that the remake would come here though Enix is known to be a company to announce and then cancel games (7th Saga 2 and Dragon Warrior 4 remix).

About once a month or so, I head over to the TESS database and see if anything new has been trademarked by various companies and Square-Enix recently trademarked the name "Dragon Quest"....I wonder if they're planning on tagging the series with its Japanese name in the US now?
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    What happened to Dragon Quest IV remake?

It was released.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I know it was in the planning stages, before it got scrapped... Do you think we will see it being re-released anytime soon? Or will it end up on the Gameboy Advanced, like the first 3 Dragon Quest/Warrior games did?
  • JoshieJoshie Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    FF3 was not the first actual job system. Unless you mean the first job system in the FF series, in which case you would be correct.

I've played DQ5 a few times. There are amateur translations out there, after all. More than one, even. It's not a bad game, but I can express my opinion of it pretty well by calling DQ6 the 'redeemer'. DQ5 feels like it's trying very, very hard to be complex, but simply moves too fast and squishes all the details, leaving me feeling unfulfilled. It could've been a great novel or manga, and it could've been a great game if they hadn't skimped so much on the story.

Oh yeah, and it's little injections of biblical references were pathetic. Worst job of symbolism in the entire DQ franchise.

edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Joshie @ Nov. 02 2003,08:06)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"DQ5 feels like it's trying very, very hard to be complex, but simply moves too fast and squishes all the details, leaving me feeling unfulfilled. It could've been a great novel or manga, and it could've been a great game if they hadn't skimped so much on the story.

Oh yeah, and it's little injections of biblical references were pathetic. Worst job of symbolism in the entire DQ franchise.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Those seem like they could be problems with the admittedly amateur translations of the game rather than the game itself. Localizing is a tough business, especially if a group is trying to handle allusions when they aren't familiar with the referenced material.