If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Dashes FF Hopes For 2004

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited December 2003 in Latest Updates
Oh, well... At least DQV's remake might just make it here instead.

Story's here.
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• DartDart Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I wasn't expecting Final Fantasy XII to come out until the next fiscal year anyway. Given the fact that the game will be revealed on November, four months are too little time for it to be launched.

The Dragon Quest V remake, although it won't make up for FFXII delay, certainly was good news. Any word for a North American release yet?
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    If it were released that early, it wouldn't be done yet and might rank up there with the rest of the crap that gets pushed out from any given game developer. They should just take their time and make the best Final Fantasy since VII. Thats what everyone wants.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I agree with Aaediyen if they rush it, it will make the game suck opposed to taking thire time to do things right.
  • Bahamut_XBahamut_X New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    It would be a nice little suprise if DQ5 was released in NA, as being one of the two games that didn't make it across the ocean. With what happened with FF5 and FF2, we may just wind up seeing DQ/W 5 & 6 released in the near future. And to some extent, I can actually say that I'll have played the original DQ5 before it was released on this side of the ocean; if it does get released.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"They should just take their time and make the best Final Fantasy since VII. Thats what everyone wants.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I won't be a part of your rediculous blanket statement. On the contrary, I want the best Final Fantasy since IX. Thanks.
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Just because they haven't unveiled it to the public yet doesn't mean that they are not well along with it. They could even be just preparing to add the finishing touches on it and doing an extensive beta test. So, don't make some lame statement like "four months is too little time to put out a game." They have been working on this title since shortly after FFX, if I remember correctly.
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, I don't think that even Square Enix, as big a company as it is, would reveal a game the same day they started working on it.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I won't be a part of your rediculous blanket statement. On the contrary, I want the best Final Fantasy since IX. Thanks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Then don't be, just say you want the best Final Fantasy since IX. There are a number of ways you could have posted without trying to make me feel bad. But, you missed them all, saddly.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    personally i hated FFIX... so I hope FFXII will be A LOT better than IX
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I agree that they should take their time and create something really enjoyable instead of rushing it and create something that'll probably be a disappointment... so in one way, this is sort of "good" news.

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of Dragon Warrior...
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Nov. 03 2003,07:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Then don't be, just say you want the best Final Fantasy since IX. There are a number of ways you could have posted without trying to make me feel bad. But, you missed them all, saddly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There are also a number of ways you could've posted without attempting to speak for him in the first place, and you missed all of them.
  • Ashy PhoenixAshy Phoenix New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm with Daemonic Angel on this one - FFIX didn't particularly appeal to me either. Personally I'm looking for the best FF since.....FFX tounge.gif Or FFX-2, who knows.
    I've never played a DW game...are they worth checking out?
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I know it sounds Crazy but with all the time thay have put into creating FFXII (read: from before releasing FFX in Japan) and with the new to the series producer(Yasumi Matsuno, also the man known to have make the omly game for Square and The PS to have perfect reviews with Famitsu 40/40 Vagrant Story a real clasic of storytelling) and a very concentrated Nobuo Uematsu (he has dedicated the last 3, 3 and a half years of his life to make the soundtrack of this game, he has never taken that much time to produce a soundtrack besides FFVI wich he took 3 years in the making) we have a real potential winner here, and with this delay we can only expect that they want this game to be the most perfect they can make...

Because they know that most of the purist of the series have already left suporting them, they want to make something extraordinary!

Ps: that's just MY opinion!!!

Ps: Sorry if i have some errors in the writing, but i AM a RPGAMER from Venezuela!!!
  • FigtreeFigtree Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I agree with "Neon_tm" I'm glad the game is being delayed because FF games are being cranked out too fast as of recently. I can wait because I understand that a quality product takes a little longer to make. Square needs to focus more on quality and not just money. Think about how great Blizzard games are it's because they take like 4 years to make (I think 3 years is sufficent, but you get the point). Rushed games are crappy.
  • magusat999magusat999 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    All this time I was thinking "at least there's FFXII coming soon". I have no interest in FFXI, or any other online game. And a FFX (FF for Dummies) sequel (FFX-2) just doesn't seem appealing because FFX sucked and I cant stand Yuna. ?I knew in the back of my mind that Square was going pull some cr*p like this, and now the only reason I ever purchased a Playstation (1 and 2) is on the "TBD" list. Very dissappointing. I didn't care one way or the other about the fate of FFXI before hearing this, but now I'm wishing and praying for a Dreamcast Online repeat for Square. I hope this fails miserably and they have no choice but to get back on track and make sure they release the games for their base audience, and stop playing experimental games! They seem to have time to make new movies, and other types of games, but they cant release their biggest moneymaker on time / at all? What's that all about?

Well, for now I just hope that Star Ocean End of Time, Suikoden IV, Breath of Fire VI (I hope), Tales of Destiny 2 PS2 (or whatever they are going to call it) and sequels to other RPG's will be on time and good enough to suffice when they come out - cuz it looks like console (single) players will be looking elsewhere for their enjoyment. Square has let us down once again (although we may be able to live vicariously through Kingdom Hearts sequels). Sheesh...

Oh yeah, the Dungeon Quest and other remakes, like - big whoop. I was hoping for FF quality Dungeon Quest sequels - all we get is regurgitated dribble or the same old junk, but this time "ported" to the PS2... wow.

• WonderslimeWonderslime Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    It takes time to work on games, people. If a sequel is three years in the making, then so be it-- I'd much rather play a good game after lots of anticipation than play a mediocre one every five minutes. Think about it...it's pretty bad when our expectations on a company are so high that it's practically sacrilegious for them to wait more than a year or two between game releases in a single series.

If Dragon Quest V makes the translation cut, then all the better.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wonderslime @ Nov. 03 2003,18:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It takes time to work on games, people. ?If a sequel is three years in the making, then so be it-- I'd much rather play a good game after lots of anticipation than play a mediocre one every five minutes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Only problem here is that Square didn't say they were delaying it to perfect it. They said it is due to "financial problems". It has nothing to do with the quality of the game, or taking time to make it better. They have been working on this game since before the release of FFX, and anounced it's completion and release date (supposedly concurrent to ?FFXI) months ago. It isn't about waiting to release a "perfected" game - it's about positioning it behind other projects and waiting to see if they make money first. In effect, SquareEnix is trying to force all of the FF fans it can into "trying" FFXI first by starving us of the console game. This is not a quality first tactic, it's a sleazy business move - which I hope backfires all over them. The very fact that they still chose not to release it even though they already announced that it was finished and ready to ship belies thier nauseating intentions - they felt no liability to release this highly anticipated game to it's loyal fanbase, without whom they would be NOWHERE and broke right now, but rather to use it like a carrot in front of a horse. It's possible they may not release it at all if they make enough revenue from the online version - or they may make us wait 4 - 5 years between console releases. That could mean one release per system generation - do we want that? Do they care???

I'm hoping someone will step up and make the FF killer that will put some fire under them and stop them from being so disrespectful of us. Maybe if and when their online venture sucks them dry of capital they will realize how important we are to thier financial future.
    tounge.gif

• TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    A delay won't kill me, it will just make me lose patience biggrin.gif

I remember after seeing trailors of FFX and listening to Suteki da ne 8,345,304 times, I was on the verge of death waiting for FFX. If they need the time, that's ok, but I can't say I won't be impatient...

Hmm, everyone has different favorite FFs. For me they are FFVII and FFVIII. Though I enjoyed (and cried during) later games, they really didn't resonate with my personality as much.

As for "sleazy business practices" - Money talks. If people percieve them to be disrespectful, they'll lose money. But it seems as though not enough people see them that way, since the later FFs have made their share of money and die-hard fans - and if the customers are happy, one can't really complain about how they're operating.

I personally almost threw up when I heard Square was making a game with Disney (in my mind, it's like God and the Devil teaming up for a project).... but apparently, a lot of fans thought differently.

Then again, I can't explain why Microsoft hasn't gone down the pipes, considering how lousy all aspects of the company is, if my theory is right.....
  • JessiahJessiah Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Nov. 03 2003,07:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I won't be a part of your rediculous blanket statement. ?On the contrary, I want the best Final Fantasy since IX. ?Thanks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Then don't be, just say you want the best Final Fantasy since IX. There are a number of ways you could have posted without trying to make me feel bad. But, you missed them all, saddly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    didn?t even spell ridiculous properly don?t take him seriously.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    FF10 was ok but I really liked FF9 and can't see why anyone would hate it. In fact I beleve it is the best Playstation FF game thus far.(That SD style was a great change of pace...I'm so tired of those relistic characters that all look the same. Plus the battle system was really good!)

But that's off the subject...I'm kinda excited that we might get DQ 5 but at the same time I'm disapointed that FF12 got delayed. It may have been for marketing resons or they had abit more tweaking to do but I'm still not too happy about it...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Yeah... I tihnk it's a little silly to assume that they haven't been working on FF XII since before X was released. After all the FF X projct alone was in production from 1997-2002 according to the game itself (replaying in prep for X-2.)

I think they're trying to push Dragon Warrior into the mainstream here in the U.S. After all, doesn't it show a lot of confidence in the DQ 5 remake to replace Final Fantasy 12 with it..? Even if they are decreasing to prospective earnings for the year, it shows they really are making Dragon Warrior one of their pillars.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadowcat @ Nov. 04 2003,07:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"FF10 was ok but I really liked FF9 and can't see why anyone would hate it. ?In fact I beleve it is the best Playstation FF game thus far.(That SD style was a great change of pace...I'm so tired of those relistic characters that all look the same. ?Plus the battle system was really good!)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, the thing about FF 9 for me was I don't like Yoshitaka Amano. The whole game had the really artsy feel that I'm just totally not into. And, Zidane and that hero chick just had Squall and Rinoa's heads strapped to tiny bodies. It was a little... Strange.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As for "sleazy business practices" - Money talks. If people percieve them to be disrespectful, they'll lose money. But it seems as though not enough people see them that way, since the later FFs have made their share of money and die-hard fans - and if the customers are happy, one can't really complain about how they're operating.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This is something we cannot judge yet. I wasn't referring to their past practices (that's a different story) but their present tactics. We have to see how it all plays out. Although Square has in the past shown no consideration for the fans who are making them rich (making us wait 6-7 years for Chrono Cross and then radically changing the whole Chrono system, not bringing the Secret of Mana games outside of Japan, ignoring pleas and petitions by fans to make a true FF sequel - not to FFX, but to FF3 or FFV - not bringing FFV outside of Japan, ignoring fans letters - even group letters, spending massive amounts of fan generated capital in genre games outside of the ones that generated the money in the first place, dumbing down the FF series - in effect showing they don't care for the hardcore players who got them where they are in the first place... should I continue?) this level of disconcern and disrespect is blatant and exponentially greater than any of their past exploits! They smacked us right between the eyes while we were looking at them this time. So far, they have had their way, since we just waited and purchased anyway - but in this case they are dealing with another animal altogether. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to suddenly "become" a MMORPG player just because it's FFXI. There have been many games that looked like they may have been fun, but online play just doesn't cut it for me - I like to play my RPG's on my console, by myself. Square is assuming that there's an "online player" in all of us, and has decided to try to drag it out whether we like it or not. They probably looked at the prospectives of this venture and saw the bleak futility of it all, then decided to try and force the issue by holding back on it's highly anticipated console game, hoping the "buzz" will generate more online traffic than they foresee. So they sacrificed a solid fanbase - not to mention a reliable money source - for an iffy speculative venture. Is that "Money talks"? To me, it looks like a desparation move.

So we will see if the customers are happy in the months ahead. My post has nothing to do with the distant past and what fans thought about past games - but about the FFXII con game. And I hope this time SquareEnix loses, so we all can benefit from the fallout.

• RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (magusat999 @ Nov. 03 2003,23:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Only problem here is that Square didn't say they were delaying it to perfect it. They said it is due to "financial problems". It has nothing to do with the quality of the game, or taking time to make it better. <snip> - it's about positioning it behind other projects and waiting to see if they make money first. In effect, SquareEnix is trying to force all of the FF fans it can into "trying" FFXI first by starving us of the console game. This is not a quality first tactic, it's a sleazy business move -[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Any artist who hopes to make a living from art must, aside from creating that art, promote their work, and present it at a time that's advantageous to making money from it. That's not "sleazy"--that's good business sense. I can completely respect a company making a release date decision that's in their best financial interest.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (magusat999 @ Nov. 04 2003,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So we will see if the customers are happy in the months ahead. My post has nothing to do with the distant past and what fans thought about past games - but about the FFXII con game. And I hope this time SquareEnix loses, so we all can benefit from the fallout.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Um... chill..? ?Dude, it's just a game. ?If one make-believe series is your entire life, I suggest switching it to Capcom's Breath of Fire series. tounge.gif

I can understand you're upset they moved it back. I was really looking forward to learning more about it, too. ?However, no large company listens to its fans. ?It's bad for business. ?Plain and simple.

If they did, would they have made the jump from 2d to 3d graphics? ?Would they have increased their fanbase 10-fold? ?Of course not. If you don't like something, don't buy it. ?Really...

I'm all for vigilantee justice and righteous indignation. tounge.gif But, complaining about a business trying to make money and use that money to experiment with new things is like saying millionaires shouldn't bother donating money to new charities or help small businesses. ?Or, doctors shouldn't find better, safer cures for common illnesses...

I'd be the first to say Square's over-hyped, but they have done a lot for the gaming industry. ?By ignoring the fans and doing something that takes the world by storm. ?Why? ?Because their world is Square. ?Hah. ;)

It's funny that you find the old innovations better than the new ones. ?Maybe they're not going the way you want them to. ?But, there are a lot of other companies out there. ?Just take your patronage elsewhere...

• Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Remember how long we had to wait for "Final Fantasy II?"
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rumikoholic @ Nov. 04 2003,12:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"However, no large company listens to its fans. ?It's bad for business. ?Plain and simple.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sure they do smile.gif they listen to sales figures, which reflect at a basic, easy to understand level what people are willing to pay for.

If you mean they don't listen to hardcore fans, well... it'd be trying to pull meaning out of cacophany, wouldn't it? It doesn't make any sense to let the cries of a vocal minority dictate what you do as a business--unless, of course, that minority is coming to real harm as a result of what you do. But we're talking about an entertainment company here.
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (magusat999 @ Nov. 04 2003,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Although Square has in the past shown no consideration for the fans who are making them rich (making us wait 6-7 years for Chrono Cross and then radically changing the whole Chrono system, not bringing the Secret of Mana games outside of Japan, ignoring pleas and petitions by fans to make a true FF sequel - not to FFX, but to FF3 or FFV - not bringing FFV outside of Japan, ignoring fans letters - even group letters, spending massive amounts of fan generated capital in genre games outside of the ones that generated the money in the first place, dumbing down the FF series - in effect showing they don't care for the hardcore players who got them where they are in the first place... should I continue?) this level of disconcern and disrespect is blatant and exponentially greater than any of their past exploits! They smacked us right between the eyes while we were looking at them this time. So far, they have had their way, since we just waited and purchased anyway - but in this case they are dealing with another animal altogether. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to suddenly "become" a MMORPG player just because it's FFXI. There have been many games that looked like they may have been fun, but online play just doesn't cut it for me - I like to play my RPG's on my console, by myself. Square is assuming that there's an "online player" in all of us, and has decided to try to drag it out whether we like it or not. They probably looked at the prospectives of this venture and saw the bleak futility of it all, then decided to try and force the issue by holding back on it's highly anticipated console game, hoping the "buzz" will generate more online traffic than they foresee. So they sacrificed a solid fanbase - not to mention a reliable money source - for an iffy speculative venture. Is that "Money talks"? To me, it looks like a desparation move.

So we will see if the customers are happy in the months ahead. My post has nothing to do with the distant past and what fans thought about past games - but about the FFXII con game. And I hope this time SquareEnix loses, so we all can benefit from the fallout.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Spooky!!!!

So what i can understand from what you are saying is that you want more sequels and no innovation!!!!

"making us wait 6-7 years for Chrono Cross and then radically changing the whole Chrono system" what did you wanted a sequel that used the same story basis, a story where the team can travel along time and save the world "again" from "<span class="spoiler">LAVOS 2</span>" and used the same battle system again, or maybe the same characters again, of course they changed the system, thats innovating to change things, to try to improve things, of course when i mean try is because they don't always make the changes for good, but at least they do change their formulas!!!

"not bringing FFV outside of Japan" of course they didn't in that time because FF (and Square) wasn`t big enough and FFV was a big departure from past FF titles in term of presentation that they didn't know if it was going to click in the American Market or not, but if im not mistaken they did release FFV in America with FFVI and a few years later, but at least they released it!!! ?

At least i think that to make a bad sequel to a perfect game like FFVI is better if they don't do sequel at all, because of the high standards that people would have if they indeed make a sequel to that game

And if you want a sequel to FFV play FFT!!!!!

"And I hope this time SquareEnix loses, so we all can benefit from the fallout" what a f... , in what sense are you gonig to benefit??? what are you a rival company of squareenix??? or something???

P.S: I don't know if they really are changing the date of release for some financial stuff that no one knows, but if im not mistaken they already HAVE Dragon Quest 8 and Kingdom Hearts 2 for the next financial year, i think that they don't have the need to make a date change only for more or improved financial results!!! that's already two blockbuster titles and even more Dragon Quest 8!!!

And yes money talks!!! at least for the companys that need money to make new games and pay their employees, if anyone know a company that don't need money please tell me because i want to know!!!

Sorry for the long post!!!
    if at some point the stuff i wrote didn't had much sense im sorry but im from Venezuela and my mother language is Spanish!!!!
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rumikoholic @ Nov. 04 2003,11:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think they're trying to push Dragon Warrior into the mainstream here in the U.S. ?After all, doesn't it show a lot of confidence in the DQ 5 remake to replace Final Fantasy 12 with it..? ?Even if they are decreasing to prospective earnings for the year, it shows they really are making Dragon Warrior one of their pillars.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well if they want Dragon Warrior to do good with nowadays console RPG fans.... ?They might as well look at some of the examples set by the recent FF's and sacrafice gameplay for girls in skimpy clothes. ?Not to mention guys that almost look like women and also furries(I call them muppets(FFIX)).

I think Squaresoft should stop making games all together. ?And just sell magazines featuring all the recent FF characters drawn in a hentai fashioned swim suit edition.

AFTER ALL STORY LINE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GAMEPLAY!(not being sarcastic.... no seriously.)

EDIT: wait hold on.... I just saw something really stupid.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And if you want a sequel to FFV play FFT!!!!!
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Can I hit him?

• JieFJieF New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I think what did it for me in FFVII (referring to all those FFVII posts in the beginning) was the setting. I loved the slums and the neo-modern city thing they had going. And the characters were very well developed I think. Sephiroth was very evil, where as sin, and whoever you have to fight in IX (don't care enough to remember the name) i didn't really feel the evil. Plus i might be biased based on the fact that FFVII was my first FF. I remember watching my friends older brother play an import before I even got a Play Station. It was the sweetest thing I had ever seen.