If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Classics Hit It Cheap

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Latest Updates
For some reason it took this long for PSX titles to come down in price. Read about which ones got the treatment here.

Admin Edit: URL changed.
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Seems like another bad link Cast. tounge.gif

Edit - Well not anymore. But it really doesn't affect me since I already have all of them. Some of them are pretty rare already. Lucky me. smile.gif

• LobstrosityLobstrosity Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I have all of them but Vagrant Story and FF Chronicles. ?Too bad they couldn't have thrown Legend of Mana in, too. ?Maybe some Brave Fencer Musashi? ?I loved that game, but seem to have either sold or lost my copy. Although now I'm seriously regretting buying my used copy of Kingdom Hearts, since I didn't even get the original packaging. True, the Greatest Hits doesn't come in the packaging the first version of the game came in, but it's better than a plain black DVD case.

• Options
    edited November 2003
    MMMmmm Legend of Mana. ?Too bad we're probably the only 2 people on the planet who enjoyed it Lobstro. sad.gif

I never bothered to pick up Anthology or Chronicles as I have the SNES versions, emulated perhaps, but I'm not a big fan of the menu slowdown that's really prevalent in FFVI and CT. ?That's not to mentioned I've played all 4 of those games more times than I can count on all my fingers and toes. ?I've only played Xenogears once when it first came out and before my copy got yoinked, so I might be tempted to pick it up again even though I don't love it as much as many. ?I have yet to play Vagrant Story, though I hear such mixed opinions on it, I'm not sure if I want to. ?What to do, what to do. ?

Anyhow, I think it's excellent that SE is doing this is the first place. ?I would love to see more rereleases like this as Greatest Hits, if just to get rare out of print games back into circulation and stop the eBay profiteers from making a fortune off us. ?Someone give Konami a call and tell them Liquid wants Suikoden 1 and (especially) 2 on Greatest Hits, el pronto por favor.

Oh, one thing, I didn't remember catching it in the article. ?Does anyone know if the PS1 reissues will be in DVD casing or the original PS1 jewel cases? ?Or if they will even still be on or CD's or bumped up to DVD media? ?Xenogears and the FF compilations are all 2CD packages, and I would hate to have to make room on my shelves for more of those terrible thick jewel cases. sad.gif

Edit- Nevermind the last question, I just read the source article at gamers.com and they said they will sport the nast neon green band, so I'm assuming they will appear as all the PS1 greatest hits before them. Woe is me. sad.gif

• Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited November 2003
    ...Must... get... Xenosaga ep. 5... wait a minute... umm... I mean... ...Must... get... Xenogears...

Heh, this is great. I always wanted to get Xenogears and Chronicals, but used copies are still $42. DAMN YOU EB! Sorry about that, I had to get it out of my system. sarcasm.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    If the used original copy of Vagrant Story in the back of that video store actually was in good shape, I would buy that one before a greatest hits-copy. I hate low-budget copies of games... especially since they change the packaging.

I already have those games though...
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • DisasterChild8DisasterChild8 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    i hate buying the greatest hits copys of games too, mostly because of the new packaging. So what I do is I go online and find a picture of the original packaging, save it, then size it correctly (via photoshop) and print it out. That way it looks like the original, yet didn't cost me 50 bucks (i'm looking at you FFA). and its in brand new condition. you should all try it.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2003
    Alright!

Ever since both my copy of FF4 on FF Chronicles stopped working, and Xenogears Disc 2 stopped working, I have been hoping for something like this to happen.

Already own all of those, but who cares. A cheap replacement is a cheap replacement.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ Nov. 05 2003,03:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"MMMmmm Legend of Mana. ?Too bad we're probably the only 2 people on the planet who enjoyed it Lobstro. sad.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ha! Max Deltree surprises everyone again! I loved that game! The beautiful art, nice gameplay and all the breeding, harvesting and robot building!! And all my minions (my friends) loved it too! smile.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • DarknessTearDarknessTear New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Hittin' it cheap, 'eh? Well, ask them where they're hittin' it cheap and how much cheap is. Oh and how hot she is too.

OH WAIT.

Anyway, good deal I guess. I need new copies of Vagrant Story and Xenogears anyway, since someone pillaged them from me.
  • jhedinjhedin Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Actually, EB is (was?) selling Xenogears NEW for $42.99, used for $49.99. Trust me on this, I work there and sold our last new Xenogears the other day.

That green stripe is going to look like such desecration on the lovely covers of those lovely games. Ick. Oh well, as long as the Suikodens remain rarities, I'll be happy, I guess.
  • Johnny EagleJohnny Eagle New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DisasterChild8 @ Nov. 05 2003,09:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i hate buying the greatest hits copys of games too, mostly because of the new packaging. So what I do is I go online and find a picture of the original packaging, save it, then size it correctly (via photoshop) and print it out. That way it looks like the original, yet didn't cost me 50 bucks (i'm looking at you FFA). and its in brand new condition. you should all try it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I might if I actually cared that much about the packaging (I don't)
  • Red SonicRed Sonic Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm glad for this. Everyone always tells me how great FFVI is, but I never played it (I watched a buddy lay it down on Kefka, though) and now I can get it without laying down forty bucks. I already have Chronicles, but Tactics is blah.
  • SeraphimHunterSeraphimHunter Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"MMMmmm Legend of Mana. ?Too bad we're probably the only 2 people on the planet who enjoyed it Lobstro. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I liked it too. ?I still play it to this day (want to find some of that rare metal, just so I can say I did smile.gif ).

I already have all those games, bought em all the day they came out. ?Vagrant Story is an excellent game, but it has such a harsh learning curve. ?New players will absoutely detest it. ?But if you play through it a couple times, you'll get the hang of it, and it's a lot of fun when you know what you're doing. ?smile.gif

This news makes me want to start up FFIV again. ?I never did finish it thanks to that lousy final boss ?mad.gif (is it just me, or the newer/more recent the FF, the easier it is?)

• cormyrecormyre New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    actually, Toys 'R' Us has had Vagrant Story marked down to 20$ for quite some time.... alien.gif

-=Cormyre Bathory=-
    "Damnation through Design"
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    I beat my breast in a Tarzan-like manner in extreme joy for Xenogears FINALLY BEING RE-RELEASED A GREATEST HITS TITLE!!

Now, NOW I pray I will be able to track down a Japanese copy and revel in its superior voice acting and uncut story.

Thank you.

Now if only those JACKASSES would give us some language options and NOT CUT THE FRICKING STORY I might not have to boycott Square-Enix and raise hell until I cannot stand myself anymore.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I can see not liking the Greatest Hits packaging b/c of the green stripe (or the red bar on the PS2 versions), but aesthetics has never, not once, kept me from buying one. ?

I would love to see Suikoden I and II in GH versions, and would buy them in a second (and I don't feel SII is anywhere worth the prices it's commanding in stores and at auction). ?Actually someone wrote an editorial on this very subject on this site a few weeks back!

I'm looking forward to having a copy of Vagrant Story that has an instruction manual. ?confused.gif ?And I wouldn't mind giving LoM a try, too, at this price (maybe next time). ?Good move, SE!

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2003
    This is some of the best news I have heard in ages...I was in a rather rough transitional period as I entered college (and the subsequent four years after) which made getting Xenogears and Vagrant Story too much of a strain. Now that I'm actually able to pick them up, I'm glad that I can without having to fork over tons of cash to do so. I'm with most of you guys, though...I really do appreciate the original art, but it may be another year or so before I can jump on Ebay and up-bid on original copies...
  • LobstrosityLobstrosity Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm with Rosewood on this one. The ugly lime-green stripe on the cover is not enough to deter me from buying the games. Sure, it looks ugly as hell, but who cares? Just play the game, and after a while, you'll forget all about the ugly packaging. I'd prefer original packaging, but I'll take what I can get.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy a Greatest Hits version of Mega Man X4. My copy got stolen a long time ago, but I still have the packaging. So there's one case where I can keep the original packaging with a Greatest Hits copy.
  • Ultus VeighUltus Veigh New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    This is awesome! I was considering buying a used FF: Anthology off of Amazon.com for 50-60 bucks... I'm definitely lucky that it's being rereleased! yay!
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I may buy Vagrant Story, as I've heard good things about it. (For example, Jeremy Parish once listed it as one of the very few games he thinks tells a story well.)

Anyone who has not played Xenogears, I command you ? buy it and play it now! Be sure to play all the way through it, as the midsections are rather boring and the true beauty of the plot only starts to shine through near the end of Disk 1. And I would especially reccommend it to the people who thought Xenosaga Eps. 1's story was "deep". (You haven't seen anything yet.)
  • SilvermaneSilvermane Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Finally Square is doing something that should have been on the GH a long time ago. I have all those games exept for FFA and at $20 thats a steal. Horray for EB employee discounts! biggrin.gif
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    dang and here I thought I was gonna have to pay through the nose of a copy of Vargrant Story...well lucky us...LOL!

Also having the Anthlolgy and the Cronicals out again is many a player's deam...I've been asked "Where can I find these?" a million times!
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Liquid, why would they consider changing them over to DVD format when THEY ARE PS1 GREATEST HITS, NOT PS2. The PS1 doesn't play DVD's, so, that was kind of a not well thought out question. wink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Wooh, happy days. I'm cheap, so I never buy anything for more than 20...
    Does anyone know when this starts?
  • ViandrotoViandroto New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Wow! That totally makes my day that I just have to rant about it! I've wanted ALL these games for SO long, but never willing to fork out $50 for a god damn PSX game... Even if it IS Square >.< This is truly a godsend now! Instead of paying $200 for 4 PSX games, now it's $80! EEE! I love saving money ^^;; I'm so glad I have NONE of these, lol... And original packaging? SCREW THAT, I'M SAVING $120!!! Would you rather pay $120 more for PACKAGING? I mean... It's not effecting the gameplay... Or is it!? DUN DUN DUN... >.>
  • Seifer_usSeifer_us Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauraOrganaSolo @ Nov. 05 2003,11:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I beat my breast in a Tarzan-like manner in extreme joy for Xenogears FINALLY BEING RE-RELEASED A GREATEST HITS TITLE!!

Now, NOW I pray I will be able to track down a Japanese copy and revel in its superior voice acting and uncut story.

Thank you.

Now if only those JACKASSES would give us some language options and NOT CUT THE FRICKING STORY I might not have to boycott Square-Enix and raise hell until I cannot stand myself anymore.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm living in Japan right now, and about a 20 minute walk from my home is where I bought my copy of Xenogears for 980 yen. That's roughly $8.50 U.S. currency. So if you see it on E-bay or anywhere else for over ten bucks more than that, which is about the shipping price to send it back to the U.S., I would honestly pass on it unless you're just totally desperate.

As for the story being changed, I have failed to notice, the only real difference that seemed highly noticeable was the ending where Elly was unblurred. After playing the Japanese version, I don't feel as if I was the least bit cheated with the U.S. release (besides the horrible voice acting... although a good deal of the battle "ha"s and "hoo"s and what have you were left in from the Japanese). Oh, you might also find yourself struggling with the control system at first. The attack buttons were originally completely different. A one point attack is square, two points is triangle, and three is circle. The normal command buttons are also moved around. I was bizarred out when I first started playing.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Wow, Seifer_us, thank you for letting me know. I have heard of Japanese copies of Xenogears going for upwards of $100 on eBay before.

I am also rather shocked to hear that you noticed little difference. I was under the impression large chunks of the story were cut out -- notably a good deal involving Billy and Citan if I recall correctly -- due to religious references and... I have no idea what else. It's hard to find out and avoid spoilers at the same time, though. confused.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    slapi: Because the way the article was worded it sounded like they were being released alongside FFX and KH as PS2 Hits. Plus I didn't think anyone actually owned an actual PSone anymore.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Awesome. Always wanted to play Kingdom Hearts but have never had the spare cash to lay down for it. The Xenogears re-release is rockin too, because a "good" friend of mine that lives a few hours from my house has had it for over a year and it doesn't look like I'm going to get the opportunity to go get it back before we move.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    A couple of people earlier in the thread said that a Greatest Hits edition of [X] would "spoil the rarity" of that game.

The resale price of any given copy, even the original edition, would go down once a GH edition comes out. That's pretty obvious.

But does a loss of monetary value in a secondary market make a game less fun? Or am I missing a piece of the puzzle?