If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Which Rpg made the the most depressed/emotional?

CetusCetus MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Role Playing Games
I am currently undecided on what rpg made me the most depressed/emotional ~.~, but yeah..what do you guys think of these choices? grr, I messed up on the topic..sorry. Er well its a hard choice but i would say Xenogears was the most depressing rpg at times. FF7 came close, yea I was angered when Aeris died and also depressed for abit but Xenogears did that times 3.

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I don't think any of those were vey depressing... but since I had to choose, I picked Xenogears.

I would've included these games in the poll, for example:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Valkyrie Profile
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    For me it was FFVII after Aeris. I got so upset by that, I didn't play for 3 days. It royally sucked.
  • SummonerSummoner Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I think noone of them,even though ff7 seems more close to melodramatic...
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Why did you have to make it a poll? There are only 10 choices and only ff7 got to me, not even much though. Anyway Suikoden 2 got me "<span class="spoiler">with Nanami dying</span>"
  • JessiahJessiah Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    Xenogears touched me... It also touched me emotionally.
  • Evil King StanEvil King Stan Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I picked Breath of Fire III. ?I honestly was depressed for the rest of the day, and half of the next day after a certain event (I'm sorry, the spoiler key isn't showing up at the moment...)

The other RPG's that have really made me most depressed/emotional were Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, Valkyrie Profile, and Xenosaga, and of course Final Fantasy X, I bawl my eyes out every time I see teh ending to that game, and I cry and get angry at another certain part...

• lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    FF6 was the most emotional RPG I've ever played... and it is no coincidence that it is also my second favorite RPG ;)
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    There are only two games that have "gotten" me that way and they're not on the list--Kingdom Hearts and FFX. I haven't even seen the ending to FFX yet and it's already gotten me emotional! Square just knows how to push my buttons, I guess. Can't imagine I'm the only one. smile.gif

I've played WA and Grandia among the games on the poll, and neither had much emotional effect on me...
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    This really shouldn't be a poll. ?It doesn't make sense to propose a question that encompasses all RPGs, only to pluck out 10 choices for us to vote on. For instance, the only two RPGs that made me somewhat "emotional" were FFX and Lunar 1. ?Neither choices are there.. what's a voter to do?! There isn't even a choice for "other".. oh, woe is me.

• PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    The game that depressed me the most would undoubtedly be Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth. I was looking forward to that game forever. Being a huge fan of Tactics Ogre, and looking at the screenshots for a few years, I was really pumped. It was going to amazing. I was going to delve into the game and disappear from any semblance of sociological normalcy and do nothing but play. Then, it came.

Then I played the game.

I think you can understand.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Breath of Fire 3...the ending of it says it all

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway Suikoden 2 got me "<span class="spoiler">"with Nanami dying"</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

on the contrary..."<span class="spoiler">if you get all 108 chars she doesnt die.</span>"

• IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    For these choices it was FF7 when Sephiroth killed Aeris and while I was fighting him I was growling.

The one that truly made me cry was FF10, when Tidus hears Yuna's farewell on the record sphere... nothing had ever got to me like that and the ending made me cry for like an hour...
  • KeythKeyth Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Bah! I can't pick. It's a tie between Xenogears and FFVII for me. "<span class="spoiler">Of course everyone knows what part in FFVII, but in Xenogears I cried when Fei's mom died... *sob* ...oh, that rhymed.... hehehe</span>"

• King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Nov. 10 2003,12:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Breath of Fire 3...the ending of it says it all

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway Suikoden 2 got me "<span class="spoiler">"with Nanami dying"</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

on the contrary..."<span class="spoiler">if you get all 108 chars she doesnt die.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well my first time through "<span class="spoiler">I didn't know I could save her nor did I get all the stars and the moment it happened I immediately thought she was dead.</span>"
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    Too bad you didn't list what I think is the most depressing game forcing me not to vote. I think FFX the ending was pretty depressing! Disagree with the rest of the options. FF7 well sorda but not nearly as much as FFX.
  • KopopoKopopo Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I've lost interest in X. But VII made me furious. What the hell was that about?! Passing his won suffering on to the gamers.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    There wasn't ever a game I remember getting depressed over except for Xenogears. ?I gotten to the last stage three or four times before I finally beat it, and when I was done there was an overwhelming sense of emptiness inside of me. ?I was depressed for no less than three days. ?There are very few games that have gotten me so involved in the storyline I didn't want to beat it; I didn't want their story to be over. ?

Where are all the quality games lately? ?The last good game I played was Xenosaga. ?Does anyone have any suggestions for games that have come out in the last year that invoke some emotion?! ?I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, I just want a game that can make the hair on the back of my neck stand up...or at least keep me entertained for more than two hours!
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Any moment in FFX where Tidus' head did not explode. Which would mean the whole game. It was sad.
  • DevilMayCareDevilMayCare Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    ..Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics, and to a lesser extent; Xenosaga..FFVII and X too.

FFVI continously flows from my top emotionally packed RPG's, to just an average filled one. I think the true answer is hidden somewhere in the the middle..and perhaps going a little closer to the top ones.

My personal prefrence with those melodramatic or depressing moments; when the whole world is effected, when you can go to all the little happy places before, and see the people cowering in fear. Events last for a few minutes at the most (except in Xenosaga's case at times) but how they resound through the world in which they take place speaks volumes of how much the developers of the game truly felt dedicated to the project. FFVI was beautiful in it's attempt for this; it's also the first attempt I know of this caliber. But it was hindered by Nintendo's infamous censorship at the time. 7 had a wonderful setting, but it was melodramatic from the start, the whole thing with the events leading to Disk 3's focus of Cloud's conflict was just icing on the cake. Then there's the whole thing with the end of Disc 1..come ON, I know someone else besides me imagined that happening. Of course, I always thought it was daring, and still do..
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Sorry about not putting those choices down people, my fault. It was very hard for me to pick cause like most of these rpgs were hella depressing. Xenogears probably did the most, ex. Rico's past, Billy's past, and some specific events that happen. Also BoF 3, like when as a kid Ryu "<span class="spoiler">"looses" his best friends teepo and rei" also later on as a adult he [Spoil]kills one of his best friends, teepo</span>" this had the only effect on me ~.~

• MaesterJoshMaesterJosh Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Does it have to be sad or negative emotions to qualify? The "normal" ending of Chrono Trigger was bittersweet... and I love the ending to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, where you get to see the kingdom's population (all 8 of them!) celebrating now that they're free of the evil plaguing the land.
    edited November 2003
    well just emotional, dealing with all the emotions we are capable of well...demonstrating.
  • MalangoMalango Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    FFX made me cry, the part when Tidus and Yuna are in the pond together. smile.gif That scene gets me everytime heheh, I'm a sucker for love stories, what can I say. smile.gif
  • Jibrille Tenshi-samaJibrille Tenshi-sama Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    None of the games in the poll struck me as being depressing or emotional. If any game really got to me, it was Final Fantasy 10. The character development was so good & I loved all the characters. It was so nice to see Tidus & Yuna fall for each other, and during the pond scene, I thought, "Finally! A video game where they actually show emotion!!" ^__^ Though, of course there is the ending which made me really, really upset & sad. Which of course makes me really anxious for FFX-2! *laughs merrily*
  • cj_iwakuracj_iwakura Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Definetly FFT.. some of the moments in that game are just heartbreaking, especially with the massive death toll of main/supporting characters(I'd venture to call it unparalled).

Xenogears and VII are definetly up there too.. but I'd call IX the most moving ending of all time.
    edited November 2003
    Seeing how many of you said FFX I should've had put it down as one of the choices. FFT was an excellent game, required a lot of wit and was like hella long. Man, even know I remembered how my eyes watered in FFX, bleh stupid me lol.

• ZeroDragonXIIIZeroDragonXIII Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    None of those RPGs got me emotional...
    Actually I was happy when you know what, happend in FF7.I was forced to use her against a very hard boss almost at the end of disc one, I think it was called Demon Gate if I'm not mistaken, anyway he was the boss that appeared half-way through a wall.I never used that character often so she was very weak, and I couldn't go back to level up sad.gif .I had more trouble with that boss than any other boss in the game.Ever since, I've always made more than one save file for any RPG that I play.Anyway, I was hoping she that would die since...but at the scene where she was killed I still got sad just because that sad music...

If any game ever got me emotional it was Grandia II...but I forget what part of the storyline it was, so it kinda takes away any reason for me to discuss this ?sad.gif

• Zidane109Zidane109 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    DUDE! you forgot your spoilers for FFX i almost saw what you said!!! AHHHH!!! i-kee-you!!!
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Wow...I am amazed that Suikoden II did not make the list...that would be my choice.