If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Favorite Combat System

ZeroDragonXIIIZeroDragonXIII MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Role Playing Games
Well, by reading the title you should know by now that this topic is about your favorite combat system! biggrin.gif

Mine is Grandia II's combat system.Both real time and turnbased, it's just so fun.

Comments

• Jes GolbezJes Golbez New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'd have to agree with you on Grandia II. For me, it combines a bit of real-time, turn-based, and cause/effect into combat...and it's a smooth system that works so well within the game itself. You can set up your strategy based on counters and whatnot.

Special mention to PS4 for the ability to set MACROS, which let you set combos and order of attack. A good twist on the classic turn system.

Least favourite: Tales of Phantasia (And similar games). I think this had potential, but in the end I just don't like it much at all.
  • JudgementJudgement Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Dang you start off my favorite it leaves me with nowhere to go. Wait a minute another favorite of mine was Star Ocean 2 the pace of it makes you think on your feet (i like to think quickly)
    You have awakened the sleeper May God forgive those who go against his Judgement
    and may God show You mercy and compassion For I shall show you none........
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I would say Star Ocean 2 had one of the most best battle systems ever. This is actually the only rpg I could move around freely and strategize in semi-real time. This battle system rocked and remains one of my favorites until this day.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'd choose Grandia Xtreme, my second favorite PS2 RPG. I never had so much fun fighting!
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Final Fantasy Tactics

Honorable mention: Xenogears
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

And if that doesn't count, probably Legend of Mana.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    I don't like turn based combat in general. ?I prefer action RPG's. ?The Seiken Densetsu series is the best example. ?The thing that I like the most in a turn based system is the ability to just click through it and get the fight over with so I can level up fast and get on to the meat and potatoes of the game, story. ?This is why stuff like timed button presses in Legend of Dragoon, and (to a much lesser extent) Mario RPG upset me, and why I don't like the character swapping of FFX.

If I had to pick a favorite turn based combat system, it would be a toss up between Chrono Trigger and SaGa Frontier II. ?They have a pretty good mix or just being able to happy-click through combat, or mixing it up with neat combos and such. ?Plus SFII has the cool 1 on 1 combat option when you get attacked by a single monster.
  • RaiRai Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I like Suikoden I and II combat style the best, where you can at ease think and put all the commands to the characters.
  • Evil King StanEvil King Stan Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Breath of Fire V and Valkyrie Profile's.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

Star Ocean 2

Lunar

Tales of Phantasia... any Tales game really.

E.V.O.

and for recent games that have been released Fire Emblem.

I need to play the new tales games for GBA. ?Has anyone checked these out or knows how to read japanese? ?They looked like a tactics game. ?But I want to know if the fighting is real time. ?Imagine that... a Tactics game but when you fight it goes to a separate screen from the battle field to a real time 2d or 3d fight between the two people fighting. ?That would be so ?FREAKING awesome.

• Gun_BLade_Sniper_GuyGun_BLade_Sniper_Guy New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Grandia II. The combat was absolutly fantastic.

FFX-2 as a really great syystem as well.
  • DisasterChild8DisasterChild8 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"FFX-2 as a really great syystem as well.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    how do you know? did you import? because its not out in the USA for another 5 days (as of 11/14/03).

anyways, my favorite battle systems are:FFX because all the characters are different and have unique abilities and you are forced to switch characters in and out depending on what ability you need. Plus the overdrive system with all its different overdrive modes was the best "limit break" system ever.

for a non-Final Fantasy game i would pick Xenogears. I loved figuring out new deathblow combos. Everthing about the system works so well. The way they handled magic was great as well.
  • Talora_FlashTalora_Flash New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Final Fantasy Tactics had a great battle system, and I'm also a big fan of the ATB. I'd have to say though, like a few who have posted before me, that Star Ocean 2 had a great battle system. Your allies AI was good for a change, and if you needed them to do something specific, Mr. Circle button would let you go over to them and make 'em do it. It was like a fast paced strategy game.
  • Ari DarkshadeAri Darkshade Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Star Ocean 2 by far!
    It was so awesome and was really exciting!!!
    I loved using killer moves and upping the proficiancy of the strength, I also liked Xenogears and kingdom hearts!
  • AragornAragorn Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I think I'll have to go with the Grandia games in general.

The way you could delay or cancel enemies attacks made you think more about strategy and who to attack first, and then how far away the enemy was from your position also played a factor.
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"and why I don't like the character swapping of FFX.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well you don't have to. I only used three characters and it worked out just fine, I think it actually works better like that.

As for the topic hmmm this is a toughie......maybe Kingdom Hearts...yea sure I'll go with that.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I really like the battle system in the Grandia games. However, even though I'm (relative to many on this board) inexperienced with RPGs it wasn't hard to learn the battle system and totally dominate over them.

So, as fond as I am of Grandia's system, I'll put in my vote for FFT. There are so many different ways you can approach the game and develop the characters. And you can do wacky fan-devised stuff like single-class challenges to up the difficulty level, although I've never tried and in some instances I don't see how it'd be possible. confused.gif
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Star Ocean 2's system was by far my favorite. The fun was almost endless. I liked only controling one character (unless you HAD to switch) because it brought me into the game. I WAS Ashton, and I WAS Claude or whomever else. Plus there were some tough enemies in the game with battles lasting a good 20 minutes or more. Actually I think I spent an hour battling Iselia Queen (she has 3.3 million HP in easy mode.)
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I am going to go with Suikoden I and II...III kind of left me out in the cold with the "pair system," but I am sure they will pick things up with IV.

Ever the optimist,

King Jowy Blight, XXII
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Nov. 14 2003,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am going to go with Suikoden I and II...III kind of left me out in the cold with the "pair system," but I am sure they will pick things up with IV.

Ever the optimist,

King Jowy Blight, XXII[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I share your sentiments, I found Suikoden III to have one of the most irratating battle systems while the first two were amazing, but Final Fantasy Tactics was the best in my mind, or at least for right now.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • YbrikMetaknightYbrikMetaknight Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    My favorites?

Well, I'm always a fan of the Active-Time Battle system (FFIV-IX, FFX-2, Chrono Trigger). A good system, if a tad overused.

Other favorites include Grandia (never played Grandia II, although I hear its system was very similar to that of its predecessor), Star Ocean 2, Xenogears and Xenosaga.

All time favorite system? A toss-up between FFX and FF Tactics. Both great systems.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I've tweaked the Job System of FFT so much I've beaten every plot battle in different ways. But Bah! My brother managed to master every job for Ramza, and his knight job could do ridiculous magic damage at level 99.

Second goes to SO2, yes. I'll include the item creation system there, as I've spent countless hours just cooking, forging etc. Too bad I've never ACTUALLY defeated Iselia Queen. sad.gif
  • Oedo CowboyOedo Cowboy Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Hmm.. I really like Grandia's and Star Ocean's battle systems. ^^
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Two pages... and no one mentioned Tales of Phantasia...

*shakes head* I flip for justice!

Dracos
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 11 2003,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Two pages... ?and no one mentioned Tales of Phantasia...

*shakes head* ?I flip for justice!

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

ummm I did...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Tales of Phantasia... any Tales game really.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Well then, apologies, I missed it.

Dracos
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Legened of Legaia, 'nuff said. This rpg was acclaimed for its cool battle system, I myself liked it a lot.
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Since Star Ocean 2's already been mentioned, I side with Persona. ?Swords, guns, magic, talking... I likes me the variety smile.gif
  • Double_BDouble_B Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    (SO2 of course!) and Disgaea's system........

biggrin.gif
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    My favorite battle systems (can't only pick one) would be BOF IV's and FFX's. I enjoyed the little twist each of them put on the turn based battle system.