If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Your favorite underrated rpg

Comments

• CecilCecil Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Thats what Temco gets for tryin to make a RPG.

I thought of a new underrated game! Vandal Hearts, one of my favs.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Ya Tecmo wasnt good by any means but it certainly wasnt the horrible game many people make it out to be.
  • DarkDreadDarkDread Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Let's not forget, they threatend us by calling the game a part of their 'RPG series'. Could you imagine? ...a series of SotS? *shudder*
  • ASVASV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    ::Decides to be evil and evoke the powers of the ancient darkness that are his RPG beginnings::

Another highly underrated RPG - and one that gave me nightmares as a child - is Dungeons & Dragons: Treasures of Tarmin. That's simply the hardest RPG ever to exist in our temporal paragon of existence. Why you ask? It took me literally 17 years to beat it.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2002
    Good. Go review it! biggrin.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Mine's definately got to be the Marl Oukoku Sries and the spinoffs. They're probably a bit too sweet for most people but I absolutely LOVE them to bits!! They have by far the most heart-warming and simple stories imaginable and they are really fun to play. AND they also SING!!
    Just in case you're wondering I'm a 19 year old male but it doesn't stop me playing these games. I would really reccommend you guys try these games (if you can read Japanese). They're also quite cheap now they're in the PSOne Books range!!
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    I would say that Kartia is definitely underrated... if its even rated at all.. before I got to this board I thought no one else has ever even heard of it... I beat it with Toxa, beat it with Lacryma Christi (which is the name of a Japanese rock band) and then beat it with Toxa again right away... fun!

and yeah.. the whole Persona series... well the whole Revelations series really.. Demon Slayer.. (I think that's the name) was pretty good to (for the game boy)
    I am waiting for more information on Megami Tensei online for the X Box...
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am waiting for more information on Megami Tensei online for the X Box... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ya hopefully between that and some of the great deals that are starting to be offered in Japan Xbox sales will eventually pick up.
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I'd have to go with Grandia 2, which had the misfortune of being on the Dreamcast, plus being released directly between FF9 & DQ7 in Japan (causing it to get overlooked, unsurprisingly). But the people who actually played it realize that it's a great game. A pity it didn't have a cool demo like Skies of Arcadia; then maybe it would've attracted a bit more attention.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But the people who actually played it realize that it's a great game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, were you talking about Grandia II there? Because Grandia II was far from great -- I'd call it tediously mediocre, if I felt like being generous. Which I don't, so I'll call it one of the most boring and annoying games I've ever played in my life. wink.gif

...and exactly how does "Red XIV" fit with Tenchi characters? confused.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Phantasy Star II.

A fantastic game made back in the day when RPGs were still hard.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ April 19 2002,15:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But the people who actually played it realize that it's a great game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, were you talking about Grandia II there? Because Grandia II was far from great -- I'd call it tediously mediocre, if I felt like being generous. Which I don't, so I'll call it one of the most boring and annoying games I've ever played in my life. ?wink.gif

...and exactly how does "Red XIV" fit with Tenchi characters? ?confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree with Grandia II not being one of the best rpgs of all time but the most boring and annoying rpg ever? Come on! Could you at least say why? The characters and the storyline were great! Try Thousand arms and then..come back to me.

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    If I had to try and put words in LB's mouth, I might say something about poor voice acting, ridiculously easy dungeons and bosses, and a rather trite, clich? storyline...
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    So what game to think has good voice acting, if Grandia 2's is bad? Or are you one of those otakus who thinks that only Japanese actors can do good voice work?

And yes, the battles were easy, but they make up for it by having superior gameplay that makes them much more enjoyable than in other RPGs. The Grandia series has easily the best battle system of any non-strat RPG.

And perhaps I should bring up that Grandia 2, unlike Xenogears, uses religion as a major story element without being pretentious. tounge.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Your the man Red! Grandia II was in no way BORING ever.
  • eeeradicatoreeeradicator Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red XIV @ April 21 2002,14:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And perhaps I should bring up that Grandia 2, unlike Xenogears, uses religion as a major story element without being pretentious. tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In what way was Xenogears ever pretentious?
  • Alkaiser90Alkaiser90 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Alright. ?We have ourselves a new user here. ?I recently got back into SaGa Frontier, and was checking through various websites to see what they had to say about the game, and saw this thread. ?I thought to myself: ?Underrated games? ?SaGa Frontier! ?So, I checked it out. ?But lo and behold, someone insults MY favorite underrated RPG: ?Grandia 2. ?Jeebus, I love that game. ?So VERY much. ?I'm just a sucker for things like Ryoko (I love Millenia ^^). ?Loved the battle system, loved the story (true, maybe it WAS a bit clich?, but it was great, nonetheless. ?With some unexpected parts), and I will admit, it was easy, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was FUN. ?So, there you have it. tounge.gif

Oh, and by the way, Red XIV. ?Love the pictures in your sig =P (Tenchi Muyo rocks! ^^), and I agree with you (if that could not be inferred from this post already =P)
    edited April 2002
    Oh! And I forgot to add these important facts:
    The music was downright beautiful, and the voice acting? It's better than Skies of Arcadia and a LOT better than FFX ("We need to laugh for the children" "HA HA HA HA H AAA HAHAH HAHAH!!H HAH AAAHAAAH HAAA!"). Personally, I thought the voice acting was just fine ("Mmmm.... Fresh ground HAMBURGER!")
    edited April 2002
    I've not yet played or even seen a videogame that has good voice acting. An especially compounding factor is that localization teams are often unable, even if they are willing, to change text timings, which leads to such travesties as Valkyrie Profile's introduction.

But even regardless, all the videogames I've played with voice have a long way to go to match up to radio acting or the better cartoon voice acting.
    edited April 2002
    I will admit that Grandia 2 has a good battle system, however, I feel it went to waste by making the game so ridiculously easy. For me, at least, you can have the best mechanics in the world, but if there's no challenge behind it I'll be bored to tears. Unfortunately, the story didn't step up enough to make up for that, and as a result, I found the game less-than appealing. Unlike Skies of Arcadia, which used several clich?s to its advantage, I found Grandia 2 to be to the contrary. It's rarely a good thing when there's only one plot 'twist' that you didn't see coming.

I will admit, though, that most of the characters were well portrayed in the dialogue, that Millenia was an entertaining character, and that a few of the songs off of the soundtrack were very good, most notably A Deus, which I think I'll listen to now...
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red XIV @ April 21 2002,11:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So what game to think has good voice acting, if Grandia 2's is bad? Or are you one of those otakus who thinks that only Japanese actors can do good voice work?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yep, I'm one of those...
    But I have to say the voice acting in the english ver. of GrandiaII was good, probably the best in an RPG I've played!
    Also FFX's voices are BAAADDD!! The voices just don't suit the characters, Yuna especially...
    Anyone played Record of Lodoss War? I thought that was a pretty good game although it was a bit too gloomy for my tastes.
    edited April 2002
    Yes, A Deus is the best song in the game (IMHO). As far as the battles go, yes, easy stuff. But, in a way, that made the game more fun for me. It took away the aggrevation I always get from RPGs from having to level up. I mean, even if I try to battle ALL the monsters I can, I STILL have to level up, particularly towards the end of the game. But, yeah. Easiest RPG I've ever played, though extremely enjoyable. I think I've more than said my share on this matter, so yeah.

"<span class="spoiler">Oh, and honestly. Who could among you guessed that the stupid bearded guy was that evil? And not to mention a huge PANSY. I had a harder time fighting Valmar's pieces before him than I did on him. He was dead before I knew it, quite literally. Also, who would have guessed that Millenia was still with Elena (even though that was... slightly confusing)? And Who would have thought that Melfice makes a better enemy than he last boss? And... and... Mareg! He's... intellectual, AND strong. And also extremely dead. Who'da thunk it?</span>"
  • MRHDMRHD Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paws @ April 14 2002,08wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Brigandine, or as mentioned before, Kartia.

It always seens like Atlus games (besides OB games) get underrated.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm definately going with Brigandine as well. ?My third favorite rpg of all time... well yeah, it is a strategy/rpg, but you know what I mean.

• Options
    edited April 2002
    Final Fanatsy IV. smile.gif
    edited April 2002
    The board's subject was /under/rated RPGs, Spee.

Not ones that have been made across 3 different systems that have a gigantic following. tounge.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paws @ April 23 2002,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The board's subject was /under/rated RPGs, Spee.

Not ones that have been made across 3 different systems that have a gigantic following. ?tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Under-rated RPGs don't have to have only a small no. of followers... FF IV, taking the reviews on this site for example, is the most under-rated FF of all...
    edited April 2002
    It has one more 10 than the other 90% of the games we cover. Go peek at the FF board and see how many people have it in their listing of fave FFs.

Besides, if you're really disappointed with the reviews on it, write one yourself tounge.gif
  • NigelNigel Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Rico, as for a game with excellent voice acting, I have a copy of Silver for the Dreamcast. ?I enjoyed that game thoroughly. ?Anyways, It has the BEST voice acting. Period. The game itself is fairly linear and cliched, but the dialogue is absolutely superb. ?Silver is pretty underrated...I'll name that as one of my other fav underrated RPG's.

• CostaustCostaust Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Underated, Hmm. I would have to say Brigandine. Hopefully you've heard of it. Some people might not like it, but I loved it.
    edited April 2002
    I'll see if I can find a cheap copy of that lying around somewhere, thanks for the recommendation. I never thought I'd have my game enjoyment diminished for knowing a couple of the main actors for Disney's Beauty and the Beast, but I guess it happened...