If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

New Final Fantasy XII Details Emerge

HarryCareyHarryCarey MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Latest Updates
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2003/111903a.html

ff12, although a new final fantasy, still has its ties.

Comments

• agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I got a different story when I clicked the link -- "HORI Announces Two New Memory Card Designs".
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    That's odd...I will assume it's been fixed, since I didn't ^^
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited November 2003
    the more info on ffxii that comes out the more i seem to want more info...soon i will be addicted to ffxii before it ever comes out laugh.gif This game is starting to look like the next big step in the right direction for the series.

The only question i have is why go with two discs? wouldn't a double layer disc work like with Xenosaga?
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited November 2003
    From the new artwork out there, it looks like the initial Shonen Jump artwork and screens were off colored - Ashe is a blond. Finally, a new hair color!

Seeing how there's all these Tactics series ties, this game is either going to be more depressing than FFX, or we're finally going to have the first Final Fantasy that isn't an over-wrought angst-filled drama. No, X-2 doesn't count;)
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • LenLen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    *craps pants*

Although I still don't really "like" the design for Vaan, this looks like a promising game. I can't wait to see what the other characters look like... I just hope they are as original as possible.

... the key word is: Tasteful laugh.gif

• ClorithClorith Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Someone posted this pic at another topic! http://www.the-magicbox.com/game111903a3.shtml

Yay thank goodness she's blonde!! Almost thought I'd have to treat FFXII as X-3!! Ooh I think we should start calling it FF12. There are so many typos around! Keep having to check FFXI stuff in case the person really meant XII! Anyway thank goodness they didn't fluff Vaan's hair! Then he'd really be like Tidus. Hope he isn't toooo happy! Kinda like them to be more like Cloud!
  • NeostormNeostorm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    "...Ivalice..."

This sounds almost like a move towards a more centralized world for the series. I kind of wonder if the developers are heading towards more direct sequels, using FF12 as a launchpad into a universal world for the whole series.
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    No, I think it's more of a move they made because of the producer is the same from FFT and FFTA, but still even if its the same world it's going to be new, because we never have seen Ivalice in a full 3d map
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I was over at IGN, and they have quite a few other details on this. There are two details to me that stick out like a sore thumb. One, the main character Vaan wants to become an air pirate. Not overly original, but coincidences can be overlooked. However, the other detail is that the main characters' kingdom has been taken over by the Arcadia Empire.

*ahem* Air pirates.. Arcadia.. so they want to be to air pirates in the skies of Arcadia. What? SKIES OF ARCADIA?!? That had air pirates TOO!!!
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    maybe cloud will have a cameo in this one too...(God i hope not...)
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2003
    Ha! It makes too much sense... I should have figured this one out after both seeing a Bangaa in those posters, and watching the kids talk in FFTA about how the Bangaa, Viera, Ivalice, etc were from a game called Final Fantasy.

Of course, maybe it was way too big of a logic jump.

I am really excited about this game though. This is going to be essentially the exact same world I am going through right now in FFTA, minus the plot of FFTA of course.

And about Air Pirates and Arcadia... Probably not a reference to Skies of Arcadia, but probably something else. The anime epic of Captain Harlock maybe. I am not sure.
  • JCove2010JCove2010 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    At first I was thinking "WHY SQUENIX WHY!!! Whey does it have to take place in the same world as FFT/FFTA? That's not the Final Fantasy way!!!" But then I thought "this could actually be interesting, this is not going to be a FFT it's bringing the world of Ivalice to a new level. Knowing a little bit of the story behind FFTA (I havn't played it yet) ?it makes perfect sense. But the question remains, will this be it own thing, or are the event in FFXII going to take place at the same period of time as FFT or FFTA? Will we see some familiar characters from the FFT series?

One thing I must say is that with all of the problems Ivalice has as a governed world, I'm glad I don't live there, it's always at war with something.

One more thing, I'm hoping this will have a kind of job system, not like FFT, but maybe more similar to FFX-2 or FFV.

• ZedZed Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I see it, for now, as two possibilities to relating to the Tactics series. Either this is the game that FFTA characters have played and speak of (thus being able to be completely original), or it is the past era of FFT, where airships and such were common place, where the technology that is excavated in FFT originally was developed. Of course, the non-human races were not in FFT unless they died out or something.

~Z
  • GuttermouthGuttermouth Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Hmm, seems like Square's trying something new with bringing 12 to Ivalice... kinda cool though smile.gif I can't say I'm not looking forward to it...

And the new shot of Ashe makes her look a hell of a lot less like Yuna in the face. That's still quite the skirt though. o.O
  • JessiahJessiah Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    As you can all see the drastic cut in the price of club drugs has negatively affected the quality of Square Enix's output and creativity. The bottom line is, " Keep Square Enix staff members off drugs! Think of the videogames, please... think of the videogames"
  • HarryCareyHarryCarey Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    updated the article with lots of new info. i apologize for putting it up apparently without having the full scoop... forgiveness, please!
  • ChocoChoco Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jessiah @ Nov. 19 2003,08:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As you can all see the drastic cut in the price of club drugs has negatively affected the quality of Square Enix's output and creativity. The bottom line is, " Keep Square Enix staff members off drugs! Think of the videogames, please... think of the videogames"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Uh... what the hell are you talking about, anyways? You haven't even stated here why you think FFXII is drug influenced. This does not amuse me.
  • ZedZed Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Well, with the new info revealed, now I can only see FFXII having a plot akin to FFT...and that is not a bad thing at all. One can only save the world so many times...the politics and strife between kingdoms makes for good stuff.

~Z
  • JessiahJessiah Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    Im to lazy to make a paragraph so a list shall do nicely.
    1.The introduction of these new "races" Yay! we get lizard men and hairy hotchicks.

2. The fact that they set 3 games in Ivalice, which was a boring place to begin with.

3. The sudden urge for popstar sequences and Charlies angel refferences. I mean seeing Yuna do a backflip and then they show her name in Bold pink letters while playing obnoxious music was horrifying. Coupled with half-assed psuedo girlpower scenes.

4. The increasing amount of youth oriented character models, along with their bizzare outfits. I mean do we really need to see the main characters pecks and abs?

5. The sudden push for revealing costumes on the female characters.

6. The lack of real drama or emotion offered in FFTA or FFX-2.

7. The lack of innovation in the battle systems of X-2 and FFTA. The garment system is really the same old job class system except now we have to keep track of where we place the jobs. The way you learn abilitys in FFTA was the same as 6 and 9. The way you learn abilitys in FFX-2 was the same as teaching your gf's new tricks.

and I will edit some more later but right now, I have to play some good old ff6.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    ithis is ####ing ###### looking
  • Sonny CaesarSonny Caesar Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, I saw some details earlier this morning pertaining to Final Fantasy XII. Looks awesome! Sounds awesome! Sucks that Nobuo Uematsu is taking a break! The chick is pretty hot! In a pixelated kind of way!

Anyway, I won't bother prejudging the game. I'll just assume the guys at Square-Enix know what they're doing.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm hoping this will be lighter, like FFTA was. Do you know why? Because after dozens of RPGs where the main characters angsts himself to death and the lead female screams and whines about how cruel the world is and all that, I'm getting sick of melodrama. Just because the lead character is chopped into confetti and used to decorate a Christmas tree while drawing an elaborate metaphor to Kafka does not mean it's the best game ever.

Speaking of 6...hey, now THERE'S a game that wasn't a straight melodrama either! And guess what, half the cast wasn't dead by the end either. That must mean it sucks!
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
    edited November 2003
    I'm hoping the game doesn't require any "Tactics/Tactics Advanced" knowledge. I'm not the biggest fan of those games.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sonny Caesar @ Nov. 19 2003,10:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm hoping the game doesn't require any "Tactics/Tactics Advanced" knowledge. ?I'm not the biggest fan of those games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    judging by square and ff history, i don't think it'll be tied in TOO much, but i think there will be some noteworthy similarities. i want a new final fantasy, not fft2!
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    No game really REQUIRES that you have played another game. So I doubt very highly that you need to have a good grasp on some of the concepts from the tactics series. I'm sure it will not hurt though if you have played those games. Besides, if anything, I would brush up on Vagrant Story.
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, I figured that.

• RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    The text description made FFXII sound pretty dry, but just about any story whittled down into a paragraph or two could sound boring.

I enjoyed the races in FFTA, and look forward to seeing how they might be used in FFXII. Moogles might be dissonant in this more realistic setting--in FFX they were used for Lulu's doll-weapons but weren't seen "in the flesh" (that I know of).

I like these new looks at Vaan and Ashe. That chubby-cheeked look in the earlier magazine blurb could've been the bottom-up camera angle used, or something, because their faces look a lot less childish in these pics. Ashe isn't shy about showing her bidness, is she? I'm not too fond of her outfit...I do like the armor-looking stuff on both of them, though.

I'm not in a state of fevered anticipation... yet. smile.gif Once it comes out in Japan, and we have more information and/or an idea of when it'll be released in the U.S., I will be!
    edited November 2003
    yeah, my writing wasn't that great... wish i could've made it better, but with so little out so far, it's hard to really hype something like ff12.

i love the screenshots, and i like the blend of cheeriness and seriousness that square enix seems to be leaning towards for the game. a bit oldschool, and a bit something completely different... i like it. if this turns out to be, imo, the best ff since 6, it'll become a rule for me that every 6th final fantasy rules the world.
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Umm, isn't Ivalice just a country in Tactics? ?Because if you read the article accurately, you'd see it was the world that is named Ivalice, so I highly doubt there is going to be any link between the two besides the name (and the races to Tactics Advance, but that's a bit superfluous seeing as chocobos and moogles have also appeared on many of the different worlds of FF). ?Sort of how the character of Cid in all the other games may bear some resemblence to past incarnations, but is never the same Cid. ?

And just to address a few of your claims, Jessiah:

1) Suck it up and get over it. ?They can put whatever races in the game they want. ?There is always a potential for racial conflict as well as national conflict.

2) See above statement. ?Also, you thinking Ivalice is boring doesn't really amount to anything of worth considering how well the Tactics games have done.

4/5) I dunno. ?Sabin wore a shirt that revealed his arms and chest, Gau wore nothing but a vest on his upper body, wherea Squall and Cloud were both fully clothed. ?Tidus just had a really low cut shirt, but nothing that really accentuated any muscles in his character model. ?Yang wore no shirt at all. Now for some examination of the women. ?Take a look at Maria's (FF2) character art some time. She's got half her side showing and one breast held in a little sling.?Terra's sprite looked like she was wearing a two piece swimsuit. Rinoa, Quistis, Yuna (from FFX, obviously), Beatrix, Aeris, Selphie and Garnet were all dressed fairly modestly as far the female characters go. ?I'd even venture to say Rikku's outfit wasn't revealing enough to fall into an un-modest category, and the only reason Lulu would be suspect is because of the voluminous cleavage they gave her.

So basically, just because you feel like getting in a whiny mood over the character models is no reason to make hideous over-generalizations. The only reason you're seeing more of a prevalance in this sort of thing is because the technology shows it more accurately, not because is hasn't always been there.
  • DevilMayCareDevilMayCare Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jessiah @ Nov. 19 2003,09:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Im to lazy to make a paragraph so a list shall do nicely.
    1.The introduction of these new "races" Yay! we get lizard men and hairy hotchicks.

2. The fact that they set 3 games in Ivalice, which was a boring place to begin with.

3. The sudden urge for popstar sequences and Charlies angel refferences. I mean seeing Yuna do a backflip and then they show her name in Bold pink letters while playing obnoxious music was horrifying. Coupled with half-assed psuedo girlpower scenes.

4. The increasing amount of youth oriented character models, along with their bizzare outfits. I mean do we really need to see the main characters pecks and abs?

5. The sudden push for revealing costumes on the female characters.

6. The lack of real drama or emotion offered in FFTA or FFX-2.

7. The lack of innovation in the battle systems of X-2 and FFTA. The garment system is really the same old job class system except now we have to keep track of where we place the jobs. The way you learn abilitys in FFTA was the same as 6 and 9. The way you learn abilitys in FFX-2 was the same as teaching your gf's new tricks.

and I will edit some more later but right now, I have to play some good old ff6.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    1. That's a personal preference. I like the idea of new races actually, one can live off of only moogles and chocobo's for only so long..and I like the Viera anyway, and of course the Bangaa's. Besides, Square isn't going to let any of them join the party, and if they do, only for a little while. It goes against their code..

2. I don't think so; FFT had a heck of a lot more interesting plot twists than most of the other Final Fantasy games. I'll remember Delita, Ramza, Agrias, and the rest much longer than Zidane and Tidus. But once again, it's a personal prefrence.

3. That was FFX-2, this is FFXII. Different number, different people, no Charlie's Angel refrences. It's a bad idea to determine the rest of the series by one game. If you didn't like FFIX, would you determine that FFX would be like it, and therefore, already not like it..?

4. Alright, this, I agree with. I mean, really Square, I don't need to see that much of a main character. Maybe that's just the action figure...and I was really hoping for the two characters' outfit to be different from one another..they seem to be close to the same.

5. Look above.

6. Again, those are seperate games, you shouldn't judge the other games in the series by the ones you don't like...Maybe FFTA, but not FFX-2.

7. Woah! I don't know about you but I'm happy with how the garment system seems to work! It's a good twist to the old job class system. And with FFTA, it was a good mix with 6 and 9's ability system with FFT's job system. A good mix of the old, with the new, can really create something wonderful.

FF6? Good for you.