If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Administrating

TheBudTheBud MemberFull Members
edited September 2002 in Site & Forum Support
Well, I've got a problem and I wonder if anyone could help me find a solution, I've been moderating a forum for the past 3 years now and we've got a few problems. Since the new boards over there arrived, we've got problems like the IM doesn't work, too many guests are allowed and none of us mods are able to ban. The real problem is however that our administrator, and owner of the website, almost never pays a visit to the forums. So we moderators are quite stuck, the presence of the admin is severely lacking and we have just lost two of our best mods last month.

Does anyone know a solution for this, there have been several "Dear Forum Members: A Call To Action" topics and we mods don't really know what to do. I've been thinking to request being an administrator, but I fear I don't know enough to technically maintain the forum. And then the question remains, will our admin grant any of us mods access to the website database?

The website, go to forums.

Comments

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2002
    I'll admit that I'm not at all familiar with PHPBB, but in my experience with Ikonboard, you don't need any real familiarity with the technical workings of the board -- You're given a rather expansive control panel with easy access to almost all pertinent administrative commands.

As for whether the site's owner will actually make you an administrator, I don't really have a way of knowing, but if you've been moderating the forum for three years and make clear what the problems are, it would seem to me that he would either be more active in the forums or appoint some additional administrators. At the very least, someone should ask him... I don't see any particular harm in it if it's all for the good of the forums.
  • TheBudTheBud Member Full Members
    edited September 2002
    Thanks for the advice. I'll write him an e-mail right now.