If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

I got a Gamecube, any good rpgs for it?

CetusCetus MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Role Playing Games
Well like my bro just dropped by today and like left me a GC. I was like wow and I thanked him and stuff. Its a pretty impressive system and I just wanted to know what good rpgs are on GC? I also got internet connection as you can see so yeah..maybe PSO?

Comments

• bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Skies of Arcadia Legends is incredible. You should definitely get it.
  • Quentin McLeodQuentin McLeod Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    If you are looking for a traditional RPG, you're in no luck.
    You ought to play SoA:Legends, although that is a port.
    FF:CC won't be traditional and neither will Baten Kaitos.
    If you truly are an RPG-fanatic, the PS2 is the only choice.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Quentin McLeod @ Nov. 23 2003,07:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you are looking for a traditional RPG, you're in no luck.
    You ought to play SoA:Legends, although that is a port.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, it is a port, but at least one modification was made to it--frequency of encounters was decreased while XP given was increased, compared to the DC version.

There are additions as well--a widget-collecting minigame and an optional boss.

But yeah, if you're into turn-based RPGs you're more or less out of luck with a GameCube. But take heart, there's other good stuff out there for it. smile.gif
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    You could always like go to the like main RPGamer page and like click on "Games" on like the left frame and there be like a ton of games listed for the GameCube.
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Being a GameCube owner, I went in knowing full well that I was buying a system for games outside of the RPG spectrum. As it stands, I own three games, but all three are fantastic and I'm happy I bought the system regardless. Legend of Zelda, Wind Waker is, aside from the aforementioned Skies of Arcadia, your best bet.

I would do well to also recommend Metroid Prime. Although not an RPG, it's damn fun, and definitely required for any 'Cuber's library.
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Ok, I have a ps2 already but hey the GC is like the second system I was looking foward too. Ok the only games I have now for it is RE 0 and Super Smash bros. Execellent games and such..I plan to pick up the Zelda Master Quest and Wind Waker. Oh, and since someone did recommend Metriod I'm going to see if I look out for that. LoL and there are still games for the ps2 I need to get ~.~. So many games, so little cash.
  • RyuujinRyuujin Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    There's also a remake of the Evolution Dreamcast games combined into one game. Forget what it's called...

Mystic Heroes...not sure if you can call it an RPG, but you can level up different attack methods and collect powerups to increase your stats. Sorta like a more animeish version of Dynasty Warriors with some gameplay differences. It was later ported over to PS2 with more stuff. Too bad we didn't get Magical Fengshen (a GBA RPG) because it had linkup capabilities with it.

There's the two Lost Kingdoms games. Action RPG with cards used for battle effects/damage and summoning beasties to help you.

Yu-Gi-Oh Falsebound Kingdom is probably the only Yu-Gi-Oh game that doesn't do the card game stuff. Instead it's a real time strategy RPG that plays similar to Ogre Battle. Heard it's not that bad considering it's a licensed game.

There's at least one Gauntlet game (it started using RPG elements with the PS1), a Summoner game, I think Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Hunter: The Reckoning...there's actually more RPGs created by American/European developers on Gamecube than there are by Japanese developers, simply because the American/European publishers try to get their games on all 3 consoles for higher profits.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is coming in February in North America. Virtua Fighter Quest is still coming along. There are a few RPGs on Gamecube in Japan such as Generation of Chaos Exceed (real-time strategy RPG that seems somewhat similar to Ogre Battle) and Dokapon DX that haven't gotten a publisher overseas.
  • lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    At the moment, the only RPG really worth the time and money is Skies of Arcadia.

Look for Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, and FF:CC in the future.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Yes, I would say Skies of Arcadia Legend is your best buy right now if your looking for an RPG. Like the previous posts, look forward to Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles, Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos next year. The first 2 should be out within Q1.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Why not try Star Fox Adventures??

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet....

That plays a LOT like Zelda.
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    *is getting a gamecube just for Tales of Symphonia*
    edited November 2003
    hm, I see...I'll see if I can get SOA then. I also got a GC mainly because a tales game is coming out for it..thanks guys. I played Star Fox Adventures, it was fun to me it did play like Zelda in a way.

• ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Shadowcat's GC RPG list:
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Final Fantasy: The Crystal Cronicals
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Lost Kingdoms(series)
    Pokemon Collisuem(due out next year)

other games that were named have RPG elements but I'm not sure you can call'em RPGs. I relly wana get a gamecube for the platform and the nintendo titles more than anything else...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    SoA Legends is obviously at the top of that list. But there are some other games you really really need to look into. Pikmin is excellent, as is Animal Crossing if you?re into that sort of thing. Metroid Prime is probably one of the best games this generation if not THE best. Mario Kart just came out, I really like that game a LOT. I don't like Mario Sunshine but TWW isn?t too bad.

For future games there are 2 that have a big yellow flag on them that say, "Buy me". First one comes out in March, its Tales of Symphonia. It got abnormally high marks in Japan and sold well concidering the system it's on. The next one comes out later next year its called Baten Kaitos. It just got its Dengeki Japanese reviews at 9/9/9 out of 10. Famitsu scores are due out tomorrow morning. I also have a fan page dedicated to it you can get to through my sig. The media page doesn't work though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you are looking for a traditional RPG, you're in no luck.
    If you truly are an RPG-fanatic, the PS2 is the only choice.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

True the Cube has no original Japanese style RPGs yet but they ARE coming. FF:CC won't be original, but I have to stop you right there. Baten Kaitos will be very traditional and yet different in the sense that the cards acts as your user interface AND its combat system not just some Lost Kingdoms rip-off. The PS2 is the only choice only if you are a Sony fanatic. If you concider the price of the system is going to be 79.94 for an indigo or black Cube this Friday at Wal-Mart and comes WITH the Zelda Collectors edition disc, SoA Legends is worth the price of admission alone.
  • Quentin McLeodQuentin McLeod Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I certainly am not a SONY fanatic if that's what you're implying. How could anyone be a sony fanatic, sony does'nt make games, so the only way you could go fanatic about them is if you like satring at that black box.
    If you truly are a PRG-fanatic you have to own a PS2, over 90% of all good RPGs are made for the system. The amount of RPGs the GC has or will have is not even vaguely compareable to that of the PS2.

I do not know about Baten Kaitos, but whan I heard about the card system it felt very Lost Kingdoms, maybe I'm wrong, who knows.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Nov. 25 2003,13:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"SoA Legends is obviously at the top of that list. But there are some other games you really really need to look into. Pikmin is excellent, as is Animal Crossing if you?re into that sort of thing. Metroid Prime is probably one of the best games this generation if not THE best. Mario Kart just came out, I really like that game a LOT. I don't like Mario Sunshine but TWW isn?t too bad.

For future games there are 2 that have a big yellow flag on them that say, "Buy me". First one comes out in March, its Tales of Symphonia. It got abnormally high marks in Japan and sold well concidering the system it's on. The next one comes out later next year its called Baten Kaitos. It just got its Dengeki Japanese reviews at 9/9/9 out of 10. Famitsu scores are due out tomorrow morning. I also have a fan page dedicated to it you can get to through my sig. The media page doesn't work though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you are looking for a traditional RPG, you're in no luck.
    If you truly are an RPG-fanatic, the PS2 is the only choice.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

True the Cube has no original Japanese style RPGs yet but they ARE coming. FF:CC won't be original, but I have to stop you right there. Baten Kaitos will be very traditional and yet different in the sense that the cards acts as your user interface AND its combat system not just some Lost Kingdoms rip-off. The PS2 is the only choice only if you are a Sony fanatic. If you concider the price of the system is going to be 79.94 for an indigo or black Cube this Friday at Wal-Mart and comes WITH the Zelda Collectors edition disc, SoA Legends is worth the price of admission alone.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    crap I want the Zelda collectors edition disk..could you get it seperate? how much is it seperate?
    edited November 2003
    Iv just been in a bad mood lately, check out these new Japanese review scores.

Famitsu
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun 9/8/8/7
    Bonk's Adventure 5/6/6/5
    Disney's Hide and Sneak 6/7/6/7
    Naruto2 8/7/8/8
    Baten Kaitos 8/8/8/7
    Finding Nemo 7/6/7/6

Dorimaga
    Baten Kaitos 8/8/9
    PSO3 8/7/8
    Mario Party 5 8/8/7/6
    Finding Nemo 7/8/7
    Derby Tsuku 3: Let's Make a Derby Stallion 8/9/7
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun 7/7/8

Dengeki
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 6/7/6
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike 7/8/7
    Pokemon Colosseum 7/8/8
    Gotcha Force 8/7/8
    PSO3 8/7/9
    R: Racing Evolution 8/8/9
    Mario Party 5 8/9/8
    Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 7/7/8
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun 8/6/7
    Disney's Hide and Sneak 6/8/6
    Crash Bandicoot 7/7/9
    Bonk's Adventure 6/7/7
    Baten Kaitos 9/9/9
    Finding Nemo 7/7/7

I was hoping for higher to say the least.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"crap I want the Zelda collectors edition disk..could you get it seperate? how much is it seperate?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It's free when you register a Nintendo system and 2 newer Nintendo games ie Mario Kart/Mario and Luigi. There is a large pin number that comes with the game inside with the insert and the system codes are on the outside of the systems themselves on white stickers.

• MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"crap I want the Zelda collectors edition disk..could you get it seperate? how much is it seperate? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, there were some people talking in some other forums about getting an email From Nintendo saying that their Zelda disk was on it's way after registering just their *old* GC's. I did this a few days ago but haven't gotten an email like this yet. Could've been a bug that they fixed by now but it's worth a try. You can probably find it on Ebay if all else fails. But I hear that people are trying to sell it for a pretty obscene price.

edited November 2003
    It was a bug, all you had to do was register your Game Cube. They fixed it now, now its 2 games and a system. The people that did sign up during the bug get the game anyway, but its fixed now.
    edited November 2003
    Hm, man what a bug it was then lol. I just hope the Zelda collectors edition will eventually make itself a sperate selling game. I was thinking about buying master quest until I heard about the C.E. So yeah...guess only thing to do now is wait huh?
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm not sure the new collector's disk includes master quest though...but I could be wrong...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • Zidane109Zidane109 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    are you Asking if there are any good rpgs for gamecube?
    well NO
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"C.E. So yeah...guess only thing to do now is wait huh?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

...Or buy a copy from the internet. I'm sure there's plently of places it can be bought individually.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zidane109 @ Nov. 27 2003,15:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"are you Asking if there are any good rpgs for gamecube?
    well NO[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Are you saying ther are no good RPGs on the gamecube?
    Well:

Phantasy Star Online ,these RPGs, and these.

Granted, there's not very many, but that's not zero.

• CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Oy. I can't wait until there's a reliable American release date for TOS.

IGN says it's coming in March, but IGN also said it was a remake of Tales of Phantasia. GameFAQs said it's April, but GameFAQs also said that there's an English version of ToD2j that came out in the US on the same days as the Japanese version with no name change. Nintendo.com says June, but Nintendo.com says it's a single-player game with turn-based battles.

Namco.com doesn't have a date for it even though they give months for they're other released games, so I guess they just don't know when it'll be out. Which makes sense. But then, where did March, April, and June come from?
    edited November 2003
    hm, hey it happened with Star Ocean 3. The date for it was changed constantly and such so perhaps we will get a steady release date soon.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    The new Zelda bonus disc does not include OoT: Master Quest. It does include vanilla OoT, though.

There aren't nearly as many RPGs for the Cube as for PS2, but there are some. Off the top of my head, there's:

Phasntasy Star Online I & II
    Lost Kingdom
    Lost Kingdom 2
    Zelda: Wind Waker (you may not consider this an RPG; I may not care)
    Skies of Arcadia
    Evolution Worlds (:P)
    Summoner 2

Next year, there's also:

Phantasy Star Online III
    Baten Kaitos
    Tales of Symphonia
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    Harvest Moon (or is this out this year? I don't remember)
    GiFTPiA (please please please let this come to America)
    GCN Zelda 2 (hey, I can dream, can't I?)

So, things are definitely looking up next year if you're looking for Cube RPGs. The current selection is rather bland in my opinion, excepting Zelda.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cetus @ Nov. 27 2003,16:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hm, man what a bug it was then lol. I just hope the Zelda collectors edition will eventually make itself a sperate selling game. I was thinking about buying master quest until I heard about the C.E. So yeah...guess only thing to do now is wait huh?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, you can just subscribe to nintendo power for $20.00, thats what I did.

This should take you right to it. smile.gif Hope I helped, I was just gonna buy my god-son a gamecube for Christmas, but his grandparents beat me to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Totally forgot to post in this thread lol. ? ?I haven't played too many traditionaly Japanese style RPG's on the Gamecube, but one must own game for the system is ?Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, you can buy the game new, for $15.00. It's not an RPG, but its a great game. They have a review for it up, on IGN.com if you want to read it. Other good games, as mentioned, is Windwaker, and Star Fox Adventures.

• SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I like to think of it this way. A Nintendo Zelda collector's ?disk costs 20 bucks. And for buying it they throw in a free nintendo power subscription with it. Sweet deal if you ask me. 20 dollars for multiple games and as an added bonus a magazine to cut pictures out of..

Compare that with the 50 dollar sonic mega collection..

• MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'd definately recommend Eternal Darkness too, RPG or not. 15 bucks is an absolute steal for such a great game.