If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Gah! That banner...

RyuujinRyuujin MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Site & Forum Support
I was clicking through the site when this Lord of the Rings The Two Towers DVD ad banner appeared at the top of the page. Normally I wouldn't pay it much attention, but it DID get my attention in a very BAD way! It played this sound file that interrupted my focus on what I was reading and really irritated the hell out of me. If this is the future of ad banners then those advertisers better realize annoying and irritating potential customers is NOT a smart thing! Sound in internet ads is downright maddening!

Comments

• agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Even worse is the ad for matrix:revolutions, which plays a movie with sound. (A relief to not have it here)
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Yeah video and sound banners can eat cack. Even on a broadband connection where they don't heavily influence your page download speed, they are still a HUGE pain in the ass. I always have WinAmp running when I'm surfing the net and they throw off my audio output. They're also loud and obnoxious. I know RPGamer relies on income from ads but for the love of God have a little respect for your reader base.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Is the 5-10 seconds of sound really that bad? I'd rather have that than a PayPal button asking for donations.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Heh I don't have any of these problems...

*hugs panicware pop-up stopper*

Ironically the site where I got this thing had pop-ups.

• Options
    edited November 2003
    I was just at GameFAQs, and all the sudden out of nowhere, a big huge ring flashed on my screen, and I big WOOSH sounded. ?I had my volume turned up pretty high and didn't have WinAmp on, and it's scared the CRAP out of me. ?I think it's because it flashed on and off again so fast that I got so freaked out. ?I just wasn't expecting it. ?Anyhow, it was some stupid java ad for Lord of the Rings PS2 game. ?And just because I'm so ticked off over the ad, I'm totally boycotting the game (I don't think I was ever going to buy it anyways, but if I'm ever looking for a game to rent that WON'T be it!). ?Ads like that are way uncool, and a good reason why sound in ads isn't cool at all. ?I hope EA is satisfied that they scared off a potential customer (quite literally)...
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    RPGamer needs epileptic warnings for some flashing banners...
  • RomeasRomeas Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I get them on my AIM buddy list, all the time. It's possibly the worst thing ever. confused.gif
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Romeas @ Nov. 27 2003,16:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I get them on my AIM buddy list, all the time. It's possibly the worst thing ever. confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't. I use trillian...ad-free smile.gif.

I also use mozilla for a browser, which not only has a built-in pop-up blocker, but a spiffy built-in IRC client too.

• pneuma08pneuma08 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm completely sympathetic towards RPGamer, but what I don't understand is why marketing people think that these ads are beneficial for their industry. Who is clicking on these ads, if anyone? How is being annoying and pushy to your demand base going to get more sales?

The same deal with spam. Spam is projected to hold the majority of all e-mail sent across the internet in a few years, and for what purpose? To enrage an entire generation of potential buyers and stockholders? I don't understand.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (agentflit @ Nov. 27 2003,22:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Romeas @ Nov. 27 2003,16:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I get them on my AIM buddy list, all the time. It's possibly the worst thing ever. confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't. I use trillian...ad-free smile.gif.

I also use mozilla for a browser, which not only has a built-in pop-up blocker, but a spiffy built-in IRC client too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I use aim. I've never once gotten a popup from them (Save for 'aimtoday', which is a feature that you can turn off and is just a single on start opening of a link to their news page). Mozilla though is spiffy and it's firebird is quite possibly the spiffiest browser since lightning bolts were used to transfer data laugh.gif.

Dracos
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    *pats his google pop up blocker, which is free by the way* Well in my opinion I don't see anything bad about the LoT ad, just click the stop button which is pretty nifty, RPGamer is the best rpg site I've been to since I was 14 (yeah I joined the forums a little too late but heck).