If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Xenogears, 2nd disc

eeeradicatoreeeradicator MemberFull Members
edited April 2002 in Role Playing Games
All I hear from people about Xenogears is complaints about the second disc. ?I can't honestly understand why. ?I thought it was a very original way to quickly present a bunch of plot points. ?I liked Fei sitting there, telling the story through flashbacks. ?It's not like the dungeons during this sequence were especially long or hard. ?I was through the Fei flashback segment and back in full control in an afternoon, if I remember correctly.

Comments

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I rather liked using that manner to tell the plot, but it also took Xenogears one step closer to the non-game end of the spectrum. The only real gripe I had with it was Xenogears' intolerably slow text speed. What makes it even worse is that there is code in the game to control the speed of the text, but the option was not included. I read very, very quickly, and especially my second time through Xenogears, grew frustrated with waiting for the text to appear.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ April 19 2002,20:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I read very, very quickly, and especially my second time through Xenogears, grew frustrated with waiting for the text to appear.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You can remedy this with a GameShark, Rico.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I know, but that code only works for certain portions of text. For others, such as the introductory exposition after the anime, it actually reduces the text speed. I got tired of switching it on and off, so I just turned it off entirely.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    I stand semi-corrected. tounge.gif
  • DarkDreadDarkDread Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Indeed... I enjoyed the second disc as well. It was indeed a very original way to keep the story going. Of course... I wouldn't want to see it repeated in many RPGs. wink.gif

My biggest gripe about the game, was that there were a couple of bosses which could really, only be beaten with more luck than actual skill. I'm talking mainly about "<span class="spoiler"> Xiang's (sp?) gear, and the second to last boss, the one with all the spheres.</span>" Both of those, I had to try about a half dozen times before I beat them.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    After all that happened on disc one I was really disappointed with disc two. The fact that its was so rushed took a lot of the feel from the game. Though they did a good job too get the plot points out I still think they could have done a better job.
  • GendoGendo Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2002
    Artistically, the second disc is brilliant. Many gamers simply arn't 'cultured' enough to appreciate it though, unfortunately.

-Gen
  • eeeradicatoreeeradicator Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gendo @ April 20 2002,13:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Artistically, the second disc is brilliant. ?Many gamers simply arn't 'cultured' enough to appreciate it though, unfortunately. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, that's snobbier than I would've put it, but I won't argue. wink.gif

I never once felt like the 2nd disc ruined the feel of the game. At that time in the game, it felt like a war to me, and Fei's flashbacks and storytelling contributed to the "war story" feel.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Fei's flashbacks were done very well, for what they are. The explanation pertaining to Fei's multiple personalities was well done and was touched up nicely with some very cool anime, notably the one where Id destroys Miang/Karen.

My objections, along with most people's objections, came from the fact that the game was horribly rushed. If I remember, there are two "legitimate" dungeons in the entire second disc, the one in which you face off with all four Elements, and the Final dungeon. The rest of the "dungeons," ie the Eldridge, the encounter with the Sufal Mass, etc., were products of laziness/obnoxious business decisions. Whereas in the first disc, you would guide your characters through a dungeon, fraught with peril, maze-like passages, and whatever, the second disc gives you a two second explanation of what's going on and dumps you in a boss battle and pretends it's a fulfilling experience. It's a GAME, not a movie, and I enjoy the experience of developing characters and exploring new dungeons almost as much as I enjoy delving into the meaty plot. The two distinct elements intertwined perfectly in the first disc, but unfortunately, that wonderful balance was missing for most of the second disc. It just felt like the game had about ten hours cut from it.

I hope that diatribe made sense, but I guess I'm not cultured enough to see the true beauty of rushing a game along.
  • Gema KnightGema Knight Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Say what you will about disk 2, it was still better than the Tower of Babel
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    The problem with the 2nd disc is that, as others have mentioned, there simply isn't enough gameplay. Instead of getting to do things, we get to have Fei & Elly tell us what the characters we're allegedly playing the roles of did. And the worst part of it is, the game wouldn't have lost anything story-wise by having a more interactive second disc.

And to Gendo, bite me, snob. tounge.gif Seriously, try to understand that the 2nd disc's presentation was not an artistic decision, it was a rush job to meet a deadline imposed from above.
  • Xardon1Xardon1 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I agree with Gendo -- it wasn't rushed in the least bit.

-Xardon1
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    You're both wrong. It's not a matter of opinion. The development team themselves have said it was rushed.
  • eeeradicatoreeeradicator Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Show me a quote. I'd like to see that.
  • BobbyRobbyBobbyRobby Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I didn't mind it at all. And DD, those bosses before the final boss were a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    This is a fallacy that Square was rushed on the second disc. It was indeed an artisitically induced angle. Sorry there, Red.

BTW, it was rather cool too.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red XIV @ April 22 2002,09:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You're both wrong. It's not a matter of opinion. The development team themselves have said it was rushed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think I've heard this too...I'm gonna look and see if I can find the article. It's no secret that companies often rush games to compete.

To everyone else: If it wasn't rushed, then why the one room dungeons? Why suddenly change to the flashback perspective? Just because something is different doesn't mean it should be saluted as artistic. I don't mind the disc that much, as I said Fei's background was tied up nicely, but it was clearly rushed.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    even though it was said the second disk was rushed, I personally found no great flaws in the disk. In fact i was happy to even had the previliage to play such a game.
  • MRHDMRHD Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    My problem with it is the same as many others; the second disc can hardly be considered a game, it is more like a novel on CD. I don't buy rpgs so that I can passively sit back and watch things unfold; the great advantage that video games have over other entertainment mediums such as movies and novels is the interactive aspect. Take this interactivity away and you're essentially buying a forty or fifty dollar picture book... I find that completely unacceptable personally.