If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy X-2 Review

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Hmm... well, I guess I agree with some parts of the review, the lack of a deeper plot for example. I also enjoyed the battle system a lot, since I've been playing quite a lot of more...advanced...RPGs lately. This simple and fast-paced system came just at the right time.

However, it felt as if the overall score was a bit too high.. considering all the complaints in the text. A 4 in visuals? Come on... even if it is more or less identical to FFX, it still surpasses almost every other RPG for the PS2 yet.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    IMO the review is very accurate and sums up the game quite well. The quickened battle pace was a breath of fresh in the series, while the plot was lackluster at best.

I agree with Solon though, given the lower scores in originality, plot, and the complaints about it, I was expecting a lower overall score.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I find it extremely humorous that the "Recycled Locations" picture features an area we never saw in the original, and the caption "Traditional FF Battles" displays 1) chain attacks, 2) varied placement on the battlefield, 3) simultaneous events, and 4) decidedly unequal and unique ATB bar properties, all extremely new to the FF series.

It is also notable that, while all the monster templates were carried over, none of them were "lifted straight from X." ?There were plenty of things changed about the monsters, like abilities, weaknesses, timing, movements, and the Oversoul feature.

On top of this, Jake Alley has stated:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The bulk of dialog comes from wandering the world of Final Fantasy X, hearing all the myriad NPCs talk about how bright and cheery their lives have been in the two years which elapsed between games, with a good deal of these conversations are voice acted by the same hit and miss cast as the previous game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember a lot of lives not being all "bright and cheery." ?The conflicts between "<span class="spoiler">New Yevon and the Youth League</span>" directly contradict that statement. ?Yes, everyone is very happy that Sin is gone forever. ?No, not everyone is getting along, and apparently, they did not live Happily Ever After.

Also, the vast majority of the "bright and cheery" dialogue with the NPCs occurs in Chapter 1, whereas the other chapters are full of the tension and conflict. ?Combined with the entire paragraph devoted to the reviewer's distaste for a few of the costumes (while still labelling *all* of them as risqu?), it makes me wonder if Mr. Alley decided not to set the dressphere changes to Short or Off so he could be distracted from noticing the decidedly dark undertones throughout the game.

Finally, I find that the localization score of a measly four is extremely harsh, and not only is it uncalled for, it isn't accounted for at all in the review itself. ?Sure, there were tons of pop culture references floating around. ?That means they actually did their research and localized it, last I checked.

• RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'd give a number of things higher scores, and none lower. ?

Jake's scores and my responses:

Interface 6: ?I had a couple minor problems with the interface. (1) the item selection screen is too small in the battle menu, requiring a lot of scrolling at times (especially if you have an Alchemist who can use practically everything in battle!) (2) It took a lot of steps to get a garment grid up and running on your character, but in the interest of customization I can see why they did it that way instead of having a bunch of preset grids. ?Otherwise very easy to navigate. ?6 seems about right, or slightly low.

Music & Sound 5: ?Also about right, I think. ?The sound is quite good as far as battles and things go, but it's been a long time since I muted a FF soundtrack and this one got the treatment...there were only two or three of the many music tracks that I would voluntarily listen to. ?(Neither of the pop tunes did a thing for me)

Originality 3
    Story 2 ?
    Localization 4: ?All of these seem rather harsh/low to me. ?I'd give something like FFI or DQ (any) a "2" in story, not FFX-2 with its warring factions, "<span class="spoiler">time-spanning villain/love story, Yuna's growth as a person, Paine's backstory,</span>" etc. ?I thought the voice acting was better than in FFX's (Yuna's voice actress has improved significantly IMO) and many of the new voices were good. ?I especially liked the LeBlanc people. ?The 3 "faction leader guys" were kind of bland though...I felt the translation, although slangy, was natural-sounding and flowed well.

Visuals 4: ?Even the recycled bits look good, and the new stuff is really cool-looking, like the anime-esque transformation sequences. ?I liked the costumes, although not having a licentous interest in them tounge.gif ?There's slowdown in places, but otherwise I can think of very few RPGs that look better than this one. ?What's being used as a benchmark here?

I respect Jake's opinion, but must respectfully (and non-flamingly, I hope!) disagree.

The average of all scores is less than 5 (4.75 to be precise), so why the overall 8?

EDIT: fixed a dangling participle

• Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Although I am quite aware that final scores are supposed to be more than simply the average of each individual score (taking into account the unquantifiable "fun factor"), I must nevertheless state that an 8 is entirely unwarranted by the review itself. The final average of this review is 4.75, and I saw little in the way of justification of assigning a presumed "34 in Fun" to the overall score.

Perhaps the writer should correct this rather obvious typo, or else spend some more time justifying an otherwise obscene score in the review itself.

? -Red Raven
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 08 2003,18:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I find it extremely humorous that the "Recycled Locations" picture features an area we never saw in the original, and the caption "Traditional FF Battles" displays 1) chain attacks, 2) varied placement on the battlefield, 3) simultaneous events, and 4) decidedly unequal and unique ATB bar properties, all extremely new to the FF series.

It is also notable that, while all the monster templates were carried over, none of them were "lifted straight from X." ?There were plenty of things changed about the monsters, like abilities, weaknesses, timing, movements, and the Oversoul feature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The bulk of dialog comes from wandering the world of Final Fantasy X, hearing all the myriad NPCs talk about how bright and cheery their lives have been in the two years which elapsed between games, with a good deal of these conversations are voice acted by the same hit and miss cast as the previous game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember a lot of lives not being all "bright and cheery." ?The conflicts between "<span class="spoiler">New Yevon and the Youth League</span>" directly contradict that statement. ?Yes, everyone is very happy that Sin is gone forever. ?No, not everyone is getting along, and apparently, they did not live Happily Ever After.

Also, the vast majority of the "bright and cheery" dialogue with the NPCs occurs in Chapter 1, whereas the other chapters are full of the tension and conflict. ?Combined with the entire paragraph devoted to the reviewer's distaste for a few of the costumes (while still labelling *all* of them as risqu?), it makes me wonder if Mr. Alley decided not to set the dressphere changes to Short or Off so he could be distracted from noticing the decidedly dark undertones throughout the game.

Finally, I find that the localization score of a measly four is extremely harsh, and not only is it uncalled for, it isn't accounted for at all in the review itself. ?Sure, there were tons of pop culture references floating around. ?That means they actually did their research and localized it, last I checked.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Desh pretty much sums up what I was thinking. Reading this review made me wonder if Jake was playing a different FFX-2 than I was.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • Endless_MagicEndless_Magic Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    im soryry but okay i'm loving final fantasy 11 right never play'd FFX-2 but i hear its okay but then ?i also here it's ###### and just a quicky game to make more money off crap okay and yea........ any how u so graded FFXI alot harder it seems like cuz u gave it a 6 ( how could u the game freaking rocks way better then a 10 at least an 8 right??..) and now i read this review and a freaking 8!!!!!!! now wtf is wrong with u after all the game is gonna suck then its gonna be okay.. okay i can understand that but giving it a higher score then FFXI no that pisses me out of ?hell seriosuly i know FFXI is better with out even playing FFX-2 heck i don't need to play FFXI either to knwo that cuz they spent more then a year making that game unlike FFX-2 (cough one year) but ne way alls im syaing is if u are giving FFX-2 and 8 u should redo the socres for FFXI...

PS: im always a fan for FF games so im nto trying to make FFX-2 sound bad but i know its not gonna be better the FFXI (cough especially when the main charcter is a pop star singer lol)

also is there ne one out there that agrees with me???

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~endless_magic

edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Endless_Magic @ Dec. 09 2003,03:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"im soryry but okay i'm loving final fantasy 11 right never play'd FFX-2 but i hear its okay but then ?i also here it's ###### and just a quicky game to make more money off crap okay and yea........ any how u so graded FFXI alot harder it seems like cuz u gave it a 6 ( how could u the game freaking rocks way better then a 10 at least an 8 right??..) and now i read this review and a freaking 8!!!!!!! now wtf is wrong with u after all the game is gonna suck then its gonna be okay.. okay i can understand that but giving it a higher score then FFXI no that pisses me out of ?hell seriosuly i know FFXI is better with out even playing FFX-2 heck i don't need to play FFXI either to knwo that cuz they spent more then a year making that game unlike FFX-2 (cough one year) but ne way alls im syaing is if u are giving FFX-2 and 8 u should redo the socres for FFXI...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh please. Make some sense.
    At least you gave me a good laugh.

EDIT: And on a side note; Jake did not review FFXI, and the main character in FFX-2 is not a pop-star singer. Go figure.

• VeritasVeritas Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Man... U guys r so lame. I R LOVE MMORPGS! LOL! Teh penis in teh butt.

My god, man. If you want to make a coherent comment, please speak in both full sentences and fully written words. As for the score, I see one eight... and many many lower marks. How does that work out to an overall of 8?
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I read this review with the hope that it would help me decide whether or not to buy the game, and I was pretty happy that it tackled a couple subjects not normally touched upon by some other reviews of the game I've read.

For the record, I actually think I understand why there's a discrepancy between the individual and overall scores, having recently played a number of "light" games. Romancing Saga 3 has average music, an occasionally obnoxious interface, a nearly non existent story, and other problems, but I'd still call it a great game. It excels in a number of categories that just don't appear in RPGamer's standard "Review Breakdown."
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Boomerang @ Dec. 09 2003,04:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It excels in a number of categories that just don't appear in RPGamer's standard "Review Breakdown."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm sure most of us know that the overall score isn't supposed to be an average of the breakdown. But then again, I would also like to know what exactly made him give the game an 8, as the review text doesn't quite tell.
  • BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    The review scores simply don't add up.

And considering most console heavy RPG fans whose opinions I (somewhat) trust REALLY seem to hate this game.

I myself generally consider it a "when its budget" release, if just out of my collector's mentality. (The same viewpoint I put FF11, which turns into a useless hunk of CD and paper 3 months after you stop paying a subscription.)

I hate idol singers, Japanese typed ones especially. (Though i have little love for the Brittneys of this world either.)

If you need a fun and funny RPG, go get Disagea, it kicks all the ass one needs to kick.

Though many consider HK in Knights of the Old Republic to be one of the funniest videogame characters ever. You meatbag.
    I cannot disagree with them, though I am more a Jolee fan. Nothing beats old crotchety Jedi Knights...
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I respectfully disagree with Jake on his review on many areas.

First off is the complaint of reusing areas. Frankly put, what do people expect? Spira to have all new areas like the Tunder Plains redone? Calm Plains to have a million new gadgets to look upon? Macalania Forest to be on fire the whole game? You cannot play a game such as FFX-2 and expect it to have new locations.

I think the originality in many areas such as the battle system, sphere system, sidegames, sphere break, blitzball, and countless others are not taken into consideration enough in this review, and instead Jake focuses on the repeat use of locals in a game that's to be a direct sequal to the world.

I think many areas weren't covered adiquantly by this review, and I find it to just plain not add up.

Yes, Final Fantasy X-2 has skimpy costumes...however, they aren't used and left to their devices...they are used, and their use is explained.
  • OmegaGearOmegaGear Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 08 2003,18:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I find it extremely humorous that the "Recycled Locations" picture features an area we never saw in the original, and the caption "Traditional FF Battles" displays 1) chain attacks, 2) varied placement on the battlefield, 3) simultaneous events, and 4) decidedly unequal and unique ATB bar properties, all extremely new to the FF series.

Finally, I find that the localization score of a measly four is extremely harsh, and not only is it uncalled for, it isn't accounted for at all in the review itself. ?Sure, there were tons of pop culture references floating around. ?That means they actually did their research and localized it, last I checked.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree. I also find the image over the caption "Recycled Locations" to be rather ironic.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I respectfully disagree, as well...however, given the review that I have read, I must thank Jake for an opinion expressed intelligently and thoughtfully. Clearly, this was a lackluster title for him, and it must have been tempting to flame all over it for the sake of simplicity. I know several other mentally-challenged "reviewers" have taken the torch to this game where it is not due just out of spite. This was a refreshing change of pace, no matter how much I may disagree.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Cain is right here. Even assuming the premise that all they did is recycle locations, it's a silly complaint to level against the game when they practically flat out told you that they were going to do so before you bought it (Unless someone didn't think it would still be in Spira). Effectively, it's something that really shouldn't have an effect on the scores other than as a side note.

Generally, I'd think if a review starts off saying the game is surprisingly fun, it has an obligation to either go:
    "Let's though get the stuff it did poorly out of the way first" and then tell us why despite these things the game was still great fun for the reviewer or just launch right into what the game did RIGHT first.

Heck, parts of the review almost read like they were written by different people. While you are hailing the differences of the battle system you have a photo marked traditional battle system right next to it.

Really, what gets me is after the review you post it with 'let the flaming begin'. Come on, isn't that just a little bit immature and spiteful? Most of the comments you've been given on this have been far from flames and mostly concerned criticism at the writing style of the review. Criticism that even a brief glance at it will show is well deserved.

Whether one likes the game or not, if you are going to do a review of it, you should be clear about your feelings on the game. To not even devote a paragraph to why you found it a particularly enjoyable experience seems ridiculous given the scoring range you marked it and your other comments. I'd suggest rewriting this and just being clear about what was good and what wasn't about the game and why you the reviewer found it of particular entertainment.

Dracos
  • AGiESAGiES Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Dec. 08 2003,19:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Clearly, this was a lackluster title for him, and it must have been tempting to flame all over it for the sake of simplicity.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Lackluster titles don't get final verdicts of 8 in an RPGamer system that touts 5 as being average. Clearly there is something more to the game that doesn't fit the RPGamer score template and shouls have been covered in the body of the review. Personally I think that this review is far too short and suffers from adhering too closely to the generic review template, there is so much more that should have been said one way or the other about this game. Much more than the single screenfull we got.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AGiES @ Dec. 08 2003,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Lackluster titles don't get final verdicts of 8 in an RPGamer system that touts 5 as being average. Clearly there is something more to the game that doesn't fit the RPGamer score template and shouls have been covered in the body of the review. Personally I think that this review is far too short and suffers from adhering too closely to the generic review template, there is so much more that should have been said one way or the other about this game. Much more than the single screenfull we got.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You're right: the math doesn't add up. I was going by the verbage, more than anything. 8 or not, I would still say that the review, for its critique, was well written.

Brevity is the soul of wit. I'm glad that the extra space wasn't used simply to get into nitpicking on points of the game that, even at their lowest, would be shining high points if placed in other titles.

(What, me biased? ;)
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Aw, jeez, Desh beat me to it. He pretty much said everything I wanted to say. At least he said it better than I could have, though.
    So, I guess it's my job to nitpick...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"the bizarrely titled Final Fantasy X-2[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What the heck is so bizarre about that? It's the sequel to FFX. Would you prefer "The Sequel of FFX" or "FFX: How Yuna Got Her Groove Back" or something?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Story: 2[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Somebody's already complained about this, but I find this score to be so ridiculous that I had to say something -- anything -- just to draw attention to it some more. Seriously, a TWO?! I'm only in Chapter 2 of the game right now, and already it has earned more than a 2/10 for the story. Like, a 2/10 is something Contra or Dragon Warrior could easily earn. Below 2, there is only one and zero. That's only two degrees from NOTHING AT ALL. And in order to have no story at all, there would have to be no characters or events or actions of any kind. It would be some unimaginable abstract mess of unmoving, colored blocks. You're saying FFX-2 is only two steps away from that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Visuals: 4[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I can only imagine you're giving the game this score because it reuses some location and enemy models, because the game is freakin' beautiful.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"a good deal of these conversations are voice acted by the same hit and miss cast as the previous game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not sure, but I think you just bashed a sequel for having the same voice actors as the original game. I guess it's because the voice acting can be pretty poor at times, but in relation to the original FFX, it's made significant improvement, I think.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"98% of the characters, locations, and monsters in FFX-2 are lifted straight from X, giving the game the feel of a hastily made expansion than a truly new game at times.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Seriously? This game feels like a hastily-made expansion to you? Well then, this is yet another area I would have to disagree with, because to me it feels as far removed from FFX as any other game in the series, if not more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The costumes in Final Fantasy X-2 set a new standard in the field of tasteless skimpy outfits[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Unnecessarily skimpy, yes. Tasteless? I wouldn't say that. I think the costume designs are very creative, and it looks like a lot of thought and work went into making them. But, that's just me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This sort of pandering extends to camera placement and dialog in many scenes as well, lending a Charlie's Angels vibe to the experience as a whole.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You know, it's getting pretty difficult to talk about FFX-2 without the conversation degrading into a Charlie's Angels comparison. I expected an RPGamer review to be above that, if only for the sake of not using a tired clich?, and I am disappointed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"battles in FFX-2 after battles bear little resemblance to those from FFX.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *sigh*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Most of the comments you've been given on this have been far from flames [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Spoke too soon, Dracos. biggrin.gif
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I had hoped that Jake took some advice after his equally short and vacuous review of Fire Emblem (which also received low scores in many areas with no explanation!), but no, he has carried it over to FFX-2 as well. This annoys me to no end - I'm trying to use reviews from sites like RPGamer to judge whether I should spend my money on a game or not. After two pointless reviews with little to no justification for the scores given, I must request that Jake either rewrites his last two reviews to actually detail his given scores, or that RPGamer just get someone else to do it.

I will not re-hash what's already been stated about the quality of this review, as several people before me, especially people who have been playing the game (I haven't been able to yet), have done this in detail. I am used to finding RPGamer reviews that, even when I find I didn't agree, at least provide ample justification and insight into why said game met, exceeded, or failed to match the reviewers expectations.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rebochan @ Dec. 08 2003,21:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I had hoped that Jake took some advice after his equally short and vacuous review of Fire Emblem (which also received low scores in many areas with no explanation!), but no, he has carried it over to FFX-2 as well. ?This annoys me to no end - I'm trying to use reviews from sites like RPGamer to judge whether I should spend my money on a game or not. ?After two pointless reviews with little to no justification for the scores given, I must request that Jake either rewrites his last two reviews to actually detail his given scores, or that RPGamer just get someone else to do it.

I will not re-hash what's already been stated about the quality of this review, as several people before me, especially people who have been playing the game (I haven't been able to yet), have done this in detail. ?I am used to finding RPGamer reviews that, even when I find I didn't agree, at least provide ample justification and insight into why said game met, exceeded, or failed to match the reviewers expectations.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Rebochan, if you haven't already, check out Cain's review.
    It should be here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jwalker13/ffx2review.html

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • ForeverEonForeverEon New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    i agree about the scoring system, if you are going to disassemble a game and give it a low score than have your final score reflect your review.

square games these day are getting lower and lower quality and people are putting up with them far too much. ever since rpgs transfered to the ps2 every game, heck even other genres, are more and more graphics oriented. all the money and time is spent on making the games look "wonderful" and then the story line is dead because nobody took the time to develope that as much as the "nex-gen" graphics and animations.

ffx-2 apparently is no exception to this, and yet someone decided to give it a decent score despite the fact that he bashed it to death. i agree that the review was detailed, and im not so much commenting on that, but the point that everyone seems to be letting square slide on bad games because they have been in the industry for so long. it's high time people gave up supporting square over any piece of crap they make and score it right and buy other rpgs and talk about them objectively.

side's square showed how scary they are when the ffmovie flunked out and they fired their mana, chrono, and xeno teams and replaced them with the final fantasy people. if you look at chrono cross all the enemies are final fantasy 9 clones.

i never expected ffx2 to be any different, and I don't really think it is now. just because the graphics are fresher and their are fancy voice overs and songs doesnt make it a good game. square needs to make sequels people want to play from their tried and true series like ff7 and the real chrono sequel.

that's my two cents if it makes any sense at all. no stupid pun intended.

• TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I think it's a very fair score, though admittedly I've enjoyed FFX-2 a lot more than other recent Final Fantasy games. It has much more style, and the upbeat feel to it is refreshing.

The only problem I see, is that he really didn't detail too many good points of the game for giving it an 8. I also beg to differ on the story aspect - there's a lot of story, but it's a small frame with more detail. There's also a lot of deeper aspects that require a bit of thinking, if one is willing to put the time into it.
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 08 2003,22:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Rebochan, if you haven't already, check out Cain's review.
    It should be here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jwalker13/ffx2review.html[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's a great review! Very detailed and nice.

The guy here's probably new, right? It'll take a while to get used to writing reviews. If he doesn't practice he'll never get any better. :\
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited December 2003
    well, first i'd like to say i agree that this is not a good review. the scores don't add up and lack clarification, which clearly annoys a great deal of the readers.

one thing that i should point out to those that think that reusing a lot of locations from FFX is okay is that they have a whole world to work with. Like those are the only locations in the world. I can understand many cities being important locations still, but things that are part of the "summoner's road" would be obsolete when summoners were no longer necessary. Especially considering they have aerial transportation between the cities and many other locations. It's reasonable to consider several new cities being pertinent to the new state of Spira as well as various other locations (ie dungeons and whatnot). So considering only the cities could really be reused, most of the game should be entirely new.

My biggest peeve with any direct sequal that reuses main (playable) characters is when they are suddenly weak again. I mean seriously, what happened to their uber power. Like their weapons, spells, armor suddenly go away. mad.gif mad.gif
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Dec. 08 2003,20:45)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AGiES @ Dec. 08 2003,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Lackluster titles don't get final verdicts of 8 in an RPGamer system that touts 5 as being average. Clearly there is something more to the game that doesn't fit the RPGamer score template and shouls have been covered in the body of the review. Personally I think that this review is far too short and suffers from adhering too closely to the generic review template, there is so much more that should have been said one way or the other about this game. Much more than the single screenfull we got.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You're right: the math doesn't add up. I was going by the verbage, more than anything. 8 or not, I would still say that the review, for its critique, was well written.

Brevity is the soul of wit. I'm glad that the extra space wasn't used simply to get into nitpicking on points of the game that, even at their lowest, would be shining high points if placed in other titles.

(What, me biased? ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Jowy, did you understand quite what was said? Your words are neatly picked, but they seem to completely miss the critique thrown at it. It's not that there was a desire for more nitpicking but more clarity and conveying of what was right alongside what was wrong. There's no problem if a review starts with "The game sucks" and then proceeds to explain why it does, but there is when the review starts with "The result is a surprisingly fun game", we should leave the review with something of a feeling of why the reviewer felt it was surprisingly fun. The space that was used was almost solely used for nitpicking and bashing it, which is only a problem in context of how he started the review and the number he gave the overall game. It's like "I like it, but it has so many problems I'm not even going to point out something I found enjoyable about it." That's what the review pretty much conveyed in it's present form.

Dracos
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Dec. 08 2003,20:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Most of the comments you've been given on this have been far from flames [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Spoke too soon, Dracos. biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Neva! Anyhow, that's a flame? Could've fooled me laugh.gif

Dracos
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (watcher @ Dec. 09 2003,07:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"one thing that i should point out to those that think that reusing a lot of locations from FFX is okay is that they have a whole world to work with. Like those are the only locations in the world. I can understand many cities being important locations still, but things that are part of the "summoner's road" would be obsolete when summoners were no longer necessary. Especially considering they have aerial transportation between the cities and many other locations. It's reasonable to consider several new cities being pertinent to the new state of Spira as well as various other locations (ie dungeons and whatnot). So considering only the cities could really be reused, most of the game should be entirely new.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ... Since when does it take a mere two years to create new cities from the ground up? ?The transformations that did take place make sense, like the rebuilding of Kilika. ?We shouldn't have new cities popping up here and there that we couldn't access in the first game.

EDIT: Bye-bye typo!

• Jin_BambinoJin_Bambino New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    OKAY!! I don't like Yuna. I hate her wide flat ass face as I did in FFX. You should've saw my face when I got the special edition guidebook and 1 out of 3 buys I got the goddamned Yuna book...

I hated the dancing. Homegirl Yuna has no soul with those candy ass (younger)Britney moves.

The music was horrid. The victory theme was a jazz piece that sound like it was ripped right from a Sega GT menu screen. Why did they opt not to use the original composer??

Umm, everything else seemed alright. I give this game a 6 for all of the annoyances I can't look past.

I know this post doesn't justify why I give it a 6 but I am not here to write a stinkin' review just add my two cents.

I hope this does not become a trend with this quasi-perennial series I hold so dearly. Substandardization is the dry rot of a series.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    I thought the game was pretty entertaining in its own way. The story seemed like it was developed just enough to get the game glued together. It wasn't nearly as involved as its predecessor, but it was definitely worth more than 2/10. Sphere hunting and saving the world aside, just re-visiting the people and places from FFX to see what has become of them was pretty neat.

The battle and sphere grid systems were pretty neat. In a way, it is similar to the junction system of FF8. By changing jobs, you can turn from an effective fighter to a potent magic user. With the "cumbersome Sphere Grid system", which I happen to like more, the characters weren't quite as general purpose. Depending on how you developed them there, they got locked into certain functions. I prefer having to develop characters with independent specializations (eg. fighter, magic user, thief, etc.) rather than have everyone do everything. It gives each character a little more individuality, in my opinion.

The setting was well done. Since it is a direct sequal to FFX, and the time gap between the two isn't much, you can't expect things to be all that different. The people of Spira, even with their newfound free time, couldn't tear down and rebuild entire towns or change the continental layout of the planet in two years.

If I was rating the game on the same criteria, this is what I would give it:

Battle System: 8, Interface: 7, Music & Sound: 4, Originality: 3, Story: 6, Localization: 6, Replay Value: 7, Visuals: 8, Overall: 7