If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Can You Hear Me Now

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited December 2003 in Latest Updates
Go read this week's mischief.

Until Zack returns, I'll be handling the usual updates at Points of View. ?Just to let everyone know, we do have a word cap. ?Some of the reviews in this update are longer than some senior research papers I've seen this semester. ?Perhaps everyone should try looking up the definition of the word 'succinct'.

*sigh* ?Eight more days. ?Then I won't be such a grouch.

Comments

• Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited December 2003
    The Persona review doesn't work. sad.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    You killed my review! *whine*

Oh well, nice line-up. Finally got mine in, woo! Next up, the other bajillion games I have played ;)
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    While I like the reader review of FFX-2 much, much better than the staff review, I still have some issues with it.

As to the speed of the battle system, Cidsa has said:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The battles are turn-based but with a real time aspect. While you select attacks, enemies are beating on your characters left, right and center. This might cause many gamers to set their cursor option to 'Memory' and then the battles become an X button mash-fest. When you first enter a battle, your attack meter climbs up, depending on your level, class and speed it will be longer or shorter. Enemies can attack you the entire time you are waiting for this meter to climb, then you enter a menu and the enemies also hit you here. If you hit attack, your character will immediately attack. Spells, items and skills all have ANOTHER meter you have to wait for. Waiting for items can be especially frustrating, as your character can be killed right before you use it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The impression I got from this paragraph is that Cidsa felt that the battle system was far too fast and unforgiving. I can totally understand someone having trouble at the outset, since it does take a little getting used to, there are a few things I may note. First off, if you feel the battles are much too fast, set the battle speed to Slow. Second, get used to the timings that the different ATB bars present - you'll know just how much time you need to choose your attacks. Thirdly, always, ALWAYS know what all of your abilities do before you go into battle. The Abilities menu lets you see exactly what everything does, save for the vast Mix list. With the number of random battles in the game, you'd think that you'd be used to it at least by the end of chapter 2.

Setting the battles to "Wait" also helps if you're having speed troubles.

On to the paragraph about dresspheres...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Enemies can also hit you when in this menu, so be quick in choosing. When you've selected your sphere, your character will change into it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Again, set the battles to "Wait," and you'll have more than enough time to choose.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This transformation looks cool the first few times, but becomes tiring and too long later on. It suffers from what the GFs in Final Fantasy VIII suffered from, long sequences (anywhere from 10-35 seconds long) with no way to skip them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This statement is absolutely criminal. Now that you've discovered the Config Menu, set the dressphere transformations to either Short or Off. I like Short, because it lets me know exactly when my classes have changed, and it helps with my flow, but you may prefer Off if you're completely opposed to any "wasted" time at all in your game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Many spheres will not allow you to attack (White mage, black mage) and you are stuck with only doing magic, if you run out of MP you'll have to change again. This is incredibly annoying. Why can't my black mage attack? Who knows?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

White Mages have the ability Pray in lieu of Attack, and frankly, I'd never ever ever have a white or black mage attack anything. Even when they're berserked, they do next to nothing for damage. If you can't use them for what they do best, then you should use another class. Also, while the White Mage can easily get along without using much MP, the Black Mage has a wonderful (and cheap) ability called MP Absorb. I suggest learning it immediately. This basically ensures that your character will not run out of MP. And, if you don't have the ability and they do run out of MP, Warriors and Berserkers are still tons of fun to change to biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The special garments also feel very useless from time to time. You have to change into all the dress spheres on the garment grid, then hit L1 and then R2 to change into them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you really want to change to the special dresspheres, there's a garment grid designed for the express purpose.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Config just allows you to change the games options, like screen position and sound options. There are a few important options in here however. Like cursor memory and wait mode. Wait mode allows you to have a little bit of time without getting attacked while your characters take their turns. Active mode should only be used by people who are really good at this game, as others will find themselves getting killed a lot.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ah yes, so you did find the Config menu. Then why did you complain about these things previously?

And lastly...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also make sure to play this AFTER beating Final Fantasy X, otherwise you will be completely and utterly lost. Worth a rent at least to give it a try, I wouldn't recommend buying this without trying it first. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I thought Square-Enix did an excellent job making it so you could understand most of the game without playing FFX. Some things, like Yuna's memory quest in Macalania for instance, would be lost, true, but you'd be far from "completely and utterly lost."
  • SeraphimHunterSeraphimHunter Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'm glad you got to that before I did because there's so much wrong with that review that, well, it's wrong. Should such an inaccurate review of a game be allowed? I mean, people are sometimes swayed from a game due to a rather harsh review, but X-2 isn't as bad as Cidsa made it out to be. Most of the things complained about were easily rectified, and in all honesty, it was never all that difficult. Sure it took some getting used to, and the battles are intense, but I like it that way. And besides, if anything the monsters are underpowered. I only ever got a Game Over once and that was due to stupidity (final dungeon, the big meanie monster that you fight if you get the puzzles wrong. didn't know you could run v.v).

Either that review needs polished or taken down. Not being rude, just suggesting. Reviews should be based on opinions on facts.
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CainEJW @ Dec. 09 2003,08:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You killed my review! *whine*

Oh well, nice line-up. Finally got mine in, woo! Next up, the other bajillion games I have played ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It should be working now. ?In case anyone else is having problems, here's the link to Jeff's review:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/megten/persona/reviews/personastrev1.html

Thanks again.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Yet another terrible FFX-2 review. This one struck me as coming from a whiny idiot who has created in his mind a template that every FF should follow. When are people going to realize the folly in such thinking?

Also, I will never understand someone who complains about a RPG being hard. Sure, X-2 can be pretty difficult in places, but it's nowhere near as hard as this person made it out to be. As was previously indicated, utilize the config menu if you have problems.

One more thing, I'd like to thank Cain for making the only good X-2 review thus far. Thanks man. smile.gif
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited December 2003
    Eh. If RPGamer were to suddenly decide to get rid of all their "bad" reviews, most of my original work would be tossed. My FFIV review, which was terribly unflattering, would definitely get canned tounge.gif

Also, you can't place blame on Amish or ASV when reviews aren't "accurate." They already have to check reviews for grammatical errors and such, and they won't post one that's grammatically correct yet organized horribly. These are things that anyone can catch, but to notice the inconsistencies between review and game, Amish and/or ASV would be required to play every game reviewed. Not feasible.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 09 2003,11:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Eh. ?If RPGamer were to suddenly decide to get rid of all their "bad" reviews, most of my original work would be tossed. ?My FFIV review, which was terribly unflattering, would definitely get canned tounge.gif

Also, you can't place blame on Amish or ASV when reviews aren't "accurate." ?They already have to check reviews for grammatical errors and such, and they won't post one that's grammatically correct yet organized horribly. ?These are things that anyone can catch, but to notice the inconsistencies between review and game, Amish and/or ASV would be required to play every game reviewed. ?Not feasible.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I know. I wasn't blaming Paul or ASV. I was just saying that Cain's was the best one I've seen so far.

I wouldn't want to put any more pressure on Paul or ASV anyway. They've got enough problems.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited December 2003
    Thank you for fixing it, Amish. It was no big deal at all.

Thanks also for the kind words of my review. I have submitted a second, "redone" review to the site. So you never know, I may be able to offer a counter-view to others.

• SeraphimHunterSeraphimHunter Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, you can't place blame on Amish or ASV when reviews aren't "accurate." They already have to check reviews for grammatical errors and such, and they won't post one that's grammatically correct yet organized horribly. These are things that anyone can catch, but to notice the inconsistencies between review and game, Amish and/or ASV would be required to play every game reviewed. Not feasible.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

True, but that's what feedback like this is for! smile.gif Well still, I dunno I guess I just expect the world to be perfect lol tounge.gif
  • cidsacidsa Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 09 2003,06:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just thought I'd comment on the stuff people said about my review.

The impression I got from this paragraph is that Cidsa felt that the battle system was far too fast and unforgiving. I can totally understand someone having trouble at the outset, since it does take a little getting used to, there are a few things I may note. First off, if you feel the battles are much too fast, set the battle speed to Slow. Second, get used to the timings that the different ATB bars present - you'll know just how much time you need to choose your attacks. Thirdly, always, ALWAYS know what all of your abilities do before you go into battle. The Abilities menu lets you see exactly what everything does, save for the vast Mix list. With the number of random battles in the game, you'd think that you'd be used to it at least by the end of chapter 2.

I have played the game through 4 times, I am definetly used to the battle system. However, I tried to look at it from a different point of view, as to how someone who doesn't play a lot of RPGs. I also looked at it myself and felt that the battles were a little unforgiving.

On to the paragraph about dresspheres...
    Again, set the battles to "Wait," and you'll have more than enough time to choose.

My battles were on wait, but since you have to follow the lines on the grids, getting to a certain one can be a pain. However, I didn't find it too fast, it was just a little unfair from time to time.
    Especially in the battles with the aeons (Too fast T_T)

This statement is absolutely criminal. Now that you've discovered the Config Menu, set the dressphere transformations to either Short or Off. I like Short, because it lets me know exactly when my classes have changed, and it helps with my flow, but you may prefer Off if you're completely opposed to any "wasted" time at all in your game.

That's true, however, when I first wrote this review I kind of forgot about that option ^^;

If you really want to change to the special dresspheres, there's a garment grid designed for the express purpose.

Yep, the unerring path. However, on really hard battles they seem so useless sad.gif

Ah yes, so you did find the Config menu. Then why did you complain about these things previously?

Because I'm an idiot XD

I thought Square-Enix did an excellent job making it so you could understand most of the game without playing FFX. Some things, like Yuna's memory quest in Macalania for instance, would be lost, true, but you'd be far from "completely and utterly lost."

I don't know, my sister attempted to play and didn't really det it. Although I agree there are some parts where you wouldn't have too much trouble. But when it goes into things with Tidus and previous characters it's kind of confusing for first timers.
    Also the entire world is a little confusing, new timers at first would be like, "What the heck is a summoner?", "what is the calm?", etc etc.

I do feel that I should audit my review a little, I had at first, but unfortunately I had done it quite quickly and didn't put as much thought and effort as I should have sad.gif
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SeraphimHunter @ Dec. 09 2003,07:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Next one to comment on!

I'm glad you got to that before I did because there's so much wrong with that review that, well, it's wrong. Should such an inaccurate review of a game be allowed? I mean, people are sometimes swayed from a game due to a rather harsh review, but X-2 isn't as bad as Cidsa made it out to be.

The way I feel about this game is an opinion. Everyone's opinions are differeny. I know many who hate this game and many who love it.
    You can't just not accept reviews that aren't good. That wouldn't give an accurate view on the game at all.
    You think it's great, I think it's annoying and it sucks.

Most of the things complained about were easily rectified, and in all honesty, it was never all that difficult.

Some things are rectified, and I realize I made a few errors in my review. HOWEVER, many people aren't hardcore RPGers.
    I play a lot of RPGs, but I really, really, suck at real time kinds of things. You think it's easy, I think it's hard. Again, another opinion.

Either that review needs polished or taken down. Not being rude, just suggesting. Reviews should be based on opinions on facts.

I'm actually already editing it slightly right now, however that last thing didn't make sense. Did you mean it should be based on facts and not opinions?
    I don't see how opinions can be left out of a PERSONAL review of a game.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 09 2003,08:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yet another terrible FFX-2 review. This one struck me as coming from a whiny idiot who has created in his mind a template that every FF should follow. When are people going to realize the folly in such thinking?

Wow a whiny idiot, thanks. I appreciate rude comments, it'll just make me listen to you more...NOT.

First things first, I am a GIRL and I play a LOT of RPGs. I do not think FF games should follow a 'template', but I also think they shouldn't become half-assed games with almost no substance. I mean, the story SUCKED, and that has been one of the most important things in Final Fantasy games.

Also, I will never understand someone who complains about a RPG being hard. Sure, X-2 can be pretty difficult in places, but it's nowhere near as hard as this person made it out to be. As was previously indicated, utilize the config menu if you have problems.

I'm not complaining about the difficulty. I beat the game in under 10 hours. I dislike the battle system very much, it becomes highly frustrating when your attacks constantly miss over and over and over.

I realize I messed a few things up over the config menu and I'm fixing it -_-
    I guess I played the game through 4 times without utilizing the config menu fully, my bad. Don't kill me over it T_T
    edited December 2003
    I've updated it and I thank you Desh for telling me about some of the config options. I usually play right through games and ignore the config menu, cuz usually it's unecessary things tounge.gif

I mean, I never used the config menu AT ALL in 6,7,9,10. 8 I did a little, but I got pissed at it and didn't finish it X3

I've submitted a slightly revised review, but it hasn't change in the fact I hate the game. tounge.gif
    edited December 2003
    It honestly doesn't bother me that you hate the game *twitch twitch*, but when a review sports blatant misinformation, I tend to get a little peeved. Thank you for taking my criticism without flaming me. It shows more maturity than most people I've criticized, or had criticize me.

And... you didn't use the Config menu in FFX? That's where you set the aeons to Short animation! Silly, silly silly! tounge.gif
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I curse the day anyone's opinions (whether it be readers or staff) become sacrosanct. ?As long as everyone here doesn?t start sinking to ad hominem attacks, any aspect of anyone?s review is up for criticism. ?It?s part of the game. ?Already, two flaming emails this week and still counting?

As for the comment regarding fact-checking: we do what we can. ?Grammar and spelling errors are of much more concern than certain aspects of gameplay. ?If something is blatantly wrong (i.e. "it's tough to use the Cactuar GF against Sephiroth", or some inane comment like that), then that's asking for a cut. ?Even some readers don't get the concept of using non-decimal scores.

One last note: word limit. ?Please, converting the reviews to HTML is a time-consuming process. ?Having a manuscript of a document only makes matters worse.

</rant>
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 10 2003,06:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And... you didn't use the Config menu in FFX? That's where you set the aeons to Short animation! Silly, silly silly! tounge.gif

I realize that now X3
    But yeah, I beat the entire game on full animation and so did my boyfriend ^^;
  • Mr.PopoMr.Popo Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I think that a 4 for a score in Castlevania:Harmony of Dissonance is a little low. The game might not have been up to Castlevania standards, but compared to lots of games on the Game Boy Advance it was pretty good. It was the first Castlevania game that I beat as the first time I picked up CotM I thought it was way to hard and I got lost. (I am only 16 now so do the math for how old I was.) This game as Solon said had pretty graphics and combined with the gameplay I was never bored. Now part of Solon's complaint might be the easy difficulty. I thought it was easy and again do the math for my age. If you are setting high standards they weren't reached. I'll give you that, but how about a 6 for a score.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr.Popo @ Dec. 11 2003,01:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think that a 4 for a score in Castlevania:Harmony of Dissonance is a little low. ?The game might not have been up to Castlevania standards, but compared to lots of games on the Game Boy Advance it was pretty good. ?It was the first Castlevania game that I beat as the first time I picked up CotM I thought it was way to hard and I got lost. ?(I am only 16 now so do the math for how old I was.) ?This game as Solon said had pretty graphics and combined with the gameplay I was never bored. ?Now part of Solon's complaint might be the easy difficulty. ? ?I thought it was easy and again do the math for my age. ?If you are setting high standards they weren't reached. ?I'll give you that, but how about a 6 for a score.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sure, compared to many other GBA games, Harmony of Dissonance is a real treat. However, I decided to compare it to the other games in the series.

I don't think the game is worth a 6, definitely not when judging it as an RPG. There were too few places in the game that I actually enjoyed, and with the crappy music, originality and plot this game has, everything just became annoying and the score fell below average.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • SpideyknightSpideyknight Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'm wondering what kind of person beats a game that they hate 4 times? There's games that I absolutely enjoy that I don't beat that many times. (Xenogears comes to mind, I've beaten it twice)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've submitted a slightly revised review, but it hasn't change in the fact I hate the game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Great in it's own right, mediocre as a Final Fantasy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting...
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spideyknight @ Dec. 14 2003,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm wondering what kind of person beats a game that they hate 4 times? ?There's games that I absolutely enjoy that I don't beat that many times. (Xenogears comes to mind, I've beaten it twice)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've submitted a slightly revised review, but it hasn't change in the fact I hate the game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Great in it's own right, mediocre as a Final Fantasy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I've only played it 3 times 0.o
    I beat the japanese one twice, due to my friend playing through a big chunk of it on MY save.

Then I beat it ONCE in english, not twice.
    I needed to play the english one through to be able to review it fairly, since some things are different.

I think the game is fairly well done for it having almost everything from FFX and a stupid battle system.
    I think if it wasn't related to FFX I might have liked it better.
    Some things bothered me way too much sad.gif
    edited December 2003
    So you can't possibly see it as it's own game? Granted, it does go with FFX as a set, however it's not entirely impossible to judge FFX-2 as it's own game, I did it.