If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Worst endings

BoomerangBoomerang MemberFull Members
edited July 2002 in Role Playing Games
Nothing leaves a bad taste in my mouth like a crappy ending to a long game. ?Here are my top three:

3. ? Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The ending just seemed incomplete and incoherent, kind of depressing because it was an otherwise wonderful little game.

2. ?Final Fantasy 7- ?Ugh....this is what happens when companies rush games to get them out on the market to compete. ?It's kind of inexcusable that two of the main characters didn't even appear in the ending sequence(Yuffie and Vincent). ?People say that that was because they were extra characters, and it wouldn't make sense if they appeared if you didn't get them....but if you did get them, did it make sense that they DIDN'T appear? ?Square fit Umaro and Gogo into FF6's ending...they could've fit Yuffie and Vincent. ?

1. Xenogears- After the first disc which took me over 45 incredible hours packed with plot depth to complete, I thought that this might have been the greatest rpg of all time, even though I am obsessed with ff6. ?Xenogears is the most complicated rpg ever with perhaps the most interesting plot, and probably the longest as well, but square should be totally ashamed of the second disc, at least most of it. ?Anyone who has played through it knows what i'm talking about. ?A 20 minute ending is not sufficient for a 60+ hour game, no matter how nice the anime is. ?I still love the game, but it could've been far more polished than it was.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2002
    I agree with xenogears being rushed the second half of the disk. But thats becuase square were pushing the xeno team (which is now Monolith Soft) to finish it. Its said they took a ridiculously long time to complete it. However in my view it didnt really bother me (espically the ending) as i think that game overall is one of my best rpgs ever. Very few rpgs even go near that game.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I would have to say Legend of Mana or Xenogears. They had such horrible endings.
  • CrusaderCrusader Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Grandia 2: "<span class="spoiler">Only because I hate games that kill good guys off only to have them mysteriously revived in the end.</span>"
  • DarkDreadDarkDread Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    How about, the ending for the first Final Fantasy? wink.gif
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Yeah, I thought FF's ending was kinda cheezy... but Square wasn't the company it is now.

FFIX really annoyed me with its "<span class="spoiler">Let's create a completely separate new final boss 'cause, face it, Kuja just isn't enough. Oh, and let's just let him appear out of nowhere with a rather nonsensical lead-up</span>". Other than that, it was... OK...

The ending to Grandia II made me want to hurl. And so did some of the voices.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Yeah, but I don't think any RPG ever had an ending as bad as classic action games.. for example Contra ... the ending: "<span class="spoiler">Congratulations!!!</span>" heh.. yeah.. classic biggrin.gif
  • Gema KnightGema Knight Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I think Crhono Cross' "<span class="spoiler">No Ending</span>" Ending was the worse, that one was just cruel.
  • LeonLeon Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Probably FFVIII. It brought everything to a close. There were no loose ends to discuss/debate, like in FFVII.
    Also, Chrono Cross' "<span class="spoiler">No Ending</span>" ending was bad, too. I didn't like having to "<span class="spoiler">go through that stupid "RED YELLOW BLUE GREEN BLACK WHITE CHRONO CROSS" crap, either. I wanted to have a harder final boss that you had to whack just like everything else.</span>"
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Blah. Chrono Cross's entire finishing sequence sucked. From "<span class="spoiler">meeting the Chrono kids on Opassa beach</span>" on, it just wasn't interesting. 'tis a shame, the rest of the game is superb.
  • AniHawkAniHawk Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I didn't like FFX's because "<span class="spoiler">they show Tidus at the end. He should have just remained dead or whatever and I think the ending would have been perfect.</span>"
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Boomerang, the reason that FF7 didn't have Vincent and Yuffie in the ending (calling them main characters is a bit of a stretch, BTW) is that there wasn't room for 4 different versions of the ending FMV (one with Yuffie, one with Vincent, one with both, and one with neither) on the disc. And adding a 4th disc for that would've been silly.

Crusader, who exactly are you talking about? In Grandia 2's ending, "<span class="spoiler">Mareg stays dead.</span>"
  • Gema KnightGema Knight Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I think he was talking about"<span class="spoiler">Millenia</span>"
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I like your sig's graphic Red XIV. Anyway, for me, it would have to be Xenogear as well. But I like the last music that came on though. "Small two of pieces" *Starts singing*

• CrusaderCrusader Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red XIV @ April 19 2002,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Crusader, who exactly are you talking about? In Grandia 2's ending, "<span class="spoiler">Mareg stays dead.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Grandia II stuff: "<span class="spoiler">I'm talking about Millenia. Didn't she die like twice in that game? I don't even understand why they brought her back. It's not like they were intending for her to come back in another game, so why not leave her dead and make the story more dramatic (and thus more memorable)? Doesn't make any sense.... I hate it.</span>"
  • eeeradicatoreeeradicator Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Hmmm...Xenogears had a good ending, as far as I can remember. 20 minutes isn't a long enough ending?!? I'd have to tape it if it was longer than that. wink.gif

FF7, now that wasn't a very good ending. After 100 hours of my life wasted on that thing, you think they could have tied things up better than that.
  • NigelNigel Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Final Fantasy Legend. The point of the game was to get into paradise, "<span class="spoiler">and then they decided not to, when they had the chance to go through the door</span>"
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Crusader @ April 19 2002,20:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Grandia II stuff: "<span class="spoiler">I'm talking about Millenia. Didn't she die like twice in that game? I don't even understand why they brought her back. It's not like they were intending for her to come back in another game, so why not leave her dead and make the story more dramatic (and thus more memorable)? Doesn't make any sense.... I hate it.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "<span class="spoiler">Millenia never really was dead, though. And besides, if she hadn't come back, Ryudo would end up with Elena by default. And Elena's boring.</span>" tounge.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red XIV @ April 19 2002,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Boomerang, the reason that FF7 didn't have Vincent and Yuffie in the ending (calling them main characters is a bit of a stretch, BTW) is that there wasn't room for 4 different versions of the ending FMV (one with Yuffie, one with Vincent, one with both, and one with neither) on the disc. And adding a 4th disc for that would've been silly.

Crusader, who exactly are you talking about? In Grandia 2's ending, "<span class="spoiler">Mareg stays dead.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Eh? I thought it was because Vincent and Yuffie were purely optional characters, so it would've looked silly if Square had put them in a savegame where a person completed it without them! tounge.gif

FFIX was bad because "<span class="spoiler">right lads, for some unknown reason, we have gone from being with Kuja in a different realm to being with Necron back in Gaia, who was NEVER mentioned beforehand; I'm sure in FFVIII, as well as IV-VII it mentions the last boss in some context before you face it.</span>"
    edited April 2002
    Well, if it weren't for the CD space issue, they could easily have done what I mentioned: make 4 versions of the ending FMV, and set the game up to display whichever one is appropriate. But like I said, that wouldn't work. I used to know how big that FMV file is, but IIRC, you could fit two versions of the ending FMV on the disc, with the other data that's on it. So they could've had a second version of the ending that had Vincent and Yuffie. But that wouldn't solve the problem; it would still look silly if you only had Yuffie, but Vincent also showed up in the ending, or vice versa.
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    Golden Sun had what is, without a doubt, the worst. Ending. Ever.

"<span class="spoiler">Hey, we just killed Saturos and Menardi and activated the second Lighthouse! Wow, and our vehicle is powered up now, too. We can finally fly places! Things are really looking up for Isaac and company as they go to look for Lighthouses three and four, now let's get on our new vehicle. ... Oh wait, the game is over. Looks like we'll never find the last Lighthouses and never control our snazzy vehicle. Rats.</span>"

I swear, they ended the freakin' game at the halfway point. Not the halfway point of a continuing story, the halfway point of the GAME. It had me thinking I really screwed up bad and got some extremely lame "alternate" ending, but no, that was the real thing. Completely ridiculous.
  • Dias Flac Superhero? Madman?Dias Flac Superhero? Madman? Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Dragonball Z Super Saiya-jin Densetsu. [Spoil]All the ending consists of is your SURVIVING characters flying around with Goku over Namek. Whoopie. I guess the only plus is that you can fight Super Saiya-jin Vegeta who in turn almost kicked my ass...
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Worst ending? ?Damn, there's so many to pick... ?My pick would have to be... hmmm...Damn, this is hard... O_O; ?Well, since I gotta pick ONE, it's definately going to Phantasy Star Online. "<span class="spoiler">"You go through all that crap and all you get is a credit roll!?"</span>" ?I mean, I know it's mainly an online game but I'd like the single player mode to mean SOMETHING. This isn't Quake III Arena/Revolution... ?mad.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    Any Tomb Raider game.
    I play games for fun, but half the reason for pursuing a game is to see the final boss and the ending.
    I developed this obsession after FF7.
    Sure it's short ending was a bit dissappointing, but that was the most intense boss battle ever!
    Since then I've been disappointed.
    A final battle and ending should require the most work, not an afterthought, as it often seems.
    I'd have to say that FF8 had the best and most cinematic ending ever, but in terms of 'closure', I'd have to say FF6.

Oh, and Actraiser had a boring ending, considering it was one of the all time best games!!
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    I'd say that PSO v2's ending is worse than that of the original.

"<span class="spoiler">Not only are you treated to the credit roll, but your character is replaced by Red Ring Rico in the screen captures. Ah, yes, let's add some insult to that injury, shall we?</span>"
  • DravenNightcrawlerDravenNightcrawler Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    although not an rpg, i think the worst ending was soul reaver. i have NEVER been so let down by an otherwise great game. also, i would like to say has anyone else noticed that most of the posts on this topic have been for square games? do i notice a trend of bad endings?
  • Options
    edited June 2002
    deffinitly the worst ending was GOLDEN SUN i loved that game and they just droped u saying i have to wait till the next 1 comes out CMON PEOPLE!!! mad.gif
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    The worst ending EVER was that of FFIX. I spent over 7 hours trying to kill off that wretched end boss thingy, and I was finally rewarded with the flimsiest excuse of an ending I have ever had the misfortune to be subjected to. It was perfectly obvious what would happen at the end, and the fact that it took so long to get to it annoyed me even further.
    Finally, to add insult to injury, the re-iteration of FMV from the game did not include the bit at the end of disc 3 with Kuja, which was the only decent bit of the whole game.

Is this vague enough to avoid giving the ending away? smile.gif

Grrr. Hated it. Wretched monkey boy. mad.gif
    Heron Heron Heron
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2002
    I dunno, FF9 wasn't so bad. Rather creative really. I actually thought for a minute there that "<span class="spoiler">Zidane and Garnet might actually not end up together</span>". This of course compared to the Roadrunneresque 900 ton anvils called "clues" pointing to FFX's outcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    Yeah, I have to agree about FFIX. I actually didn't mind the ending there, despite the fact it turned out like it was obviously going to. Now Chrono Cross, on the other hand... The ending (and I'm talking about one of the good ones) and the events leading up to the end were enough to ruin my opinion of the game entirely, taking it from one of the better games I've played to leaving me faintly bitter that I spent ALL that time. Then again, maybe the fact I had to play it in silence thanks to my freaking roommate had something to do with my gradual dislikification of it... But I digress. A worse ending still is indeed Golden Sun. Yes, I know there's a sequel upcoming, but that's still no excuse to "<span class="spoiler">cut the freaking thing off in the middle. </span>" Grr. "<span class="spoiler">They're just lucky they drowned me in the theme music. Aww... theme music. How could I stay mad at you? ^_^</span>"
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"although not an rpg, i think the worst ending was soul reaver. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, I felt pretty hacked off aboutt hat ending. Hours and hours of jumping around dismal black cathedrals, catacombs and caves, and the ending was limper than a lettuce salad that had been left out in the Sahara for 17 hours.
    The bit before the final battle kinda wrapped up most of the lingering qu's I had at the time though, so that was some consolation.
    Oooh, Legend of Zelda: Links awakening. Huh!?!? What's up with him? Why is he smiling like that!?!?? And why this terrible punctuation?!?!?!?!!?
    Heron Heron Heron