If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Battle systems

GendoGendo BannedBanned Users
edited May 2002 in Role Playing Games
Panzer Dragoon Saga is my favorite because it's unique and fun. In case you never played it (very likely), you encounter enemies randomly but then you strategically fly around your enemies, trying to position yourself so you can attack. Then you can morph your dragon according to 4 different variables. It's much better than I can describe in this paragraph anyway. tounge.gif

-Gen

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2002
    Depends on what you include.

Many games will share the same or similar systems and there are things other than the system that can make it more or less fun.

For instance while FFIX ran on basically the same system as the other FF's I didnt enjoy it as much.

Lufia 2 is another example its nothing special but because all the weapon IP attacks and the few monsters you had I liked it alot.

And while I preffer turn base 95% of the time I loved Star Ocean for its battle system.

So what im trying to say summed up short is a good battle system can be ruined by outside factors and so many RPGs just ahve little things seperating their battle system from being the exact same.
    As a result I feel its kinda hard to say one is the best.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Yeah, I liked Star Ocean's battle system too.
    I also like Xenogears system.
    FFX's faster pace was nice.
    I like Chrono Trigger's system.

oh theres more I'm sure...

oh yeah, Lunar! ...yeah it's simple, but it's nice too I think.

hmmm...
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    I loved Xenogears and Star Ocen 2's battle systems. But moslty Xenogears.

btw...did anyone try to get feis last move? i wanted to get it but i just didnt have enough time to do it. What was it like? (i think u get it when hes lv99 or something)
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    I believe I got it I cant rember though.
    Im almost positive I get every chars moves on all three play throughs(Citan owns&#33wink.gif.

I didnt care for the battle system in Xenogears in or out of the mechs.
    It had potential to be among the best both in and out of mechs but both felt incomplete.
    Probally since they had to take the time making two.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    When I played Chrono Trigger, it was my favorite, but now...

FFX kinda blew me out of the water. Button mashing was completely eliminated. While limited, there is some strategy in the placement of your characters and enemies. Changing party members mid-battle was GREAT, and even though Breath of Fire 4 did it before (maybe first, I don't know), FFX gave it a better feel. And the timing is so perfect, because you make the battle move just as fast as you want. It was bad enough battling Ozma in FFIX when he normally got three turns for every one of yours, and the timed system could get you even further behind. I still beat the egg senseless, though...
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    My favorite battle system would be Chrono Trigger. Though I liked Star Oceans, Lufia 2, and any of the Final Fantasy's I would have to say I liked Chrono Trigger's battle system the best.
  • NigelNigel Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I like FFX's also...great system...
    My favorite battle system however, is from the original Grandia. Easy, fast paced, use-to-learn skills and abilities....I love that game.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Changing party members mid-battle was GREAT, and even though Breath of Fire 4 did it before (maybe first, I don't know),[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

WA2 did that first.
    And there were a few games before WA2 that used this system I think maybe even one for SNES.
    Nothigns coming to me right now.
  • Gema KnightGema Knight Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    The orignial BoF did that, but back on topic I also liked Star Ocean 2's battle system, but I really liked the way Chrono Trigger handle EXP
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I love Star Ocean 2's battle system as well. It's really fast pace! Grandia 1 and 2's battle system are great ass well. And I have to agree with Viper, I like all of FF's battle system. I didn't really like Chrono Trigger's though because I find it slow. Of course on the playstation version. I haven't played the original version. Couldn't find it. smile.gif
    Edit: I also love Legend of Dragoon and Tsugunai's battle system. I had alot of fun playing those game because they are very interactive, you know, the part where you press a correct button at the right time? smile.gif

• DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Maybe I'm having a braindead moment, but what's WA2?

In Chrono Trigger, I thought it was funny how, once your characters learn their techs, battles stop giving you tech points. Same with exp at level star biggrin.gif Gotta love it.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    WA2 Wild Arms 2

Yep thanks knight BoF was one of the games I was thinking of.
    You could also do it in Robotrek and atleast one other SNES game.
  • ASVASV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Assuming that we're tossing TRPGs and all the other subdivisions of the genre into the mix, then I have a 3 way tie between:

Final Fantasy Tactics
    Ogre Battle (Ep5 & Ep6)
    Golden Sun

I like systems that either you don't deal with whatsoever (as seen in OB, more or less) - are the wherewithal of the game (as in FFT) - or are a highly innovative spin on an old system (such as GS).
  • LocrianLocrian Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    FFT and Legend of Mana. Legend of Mana had SO MUCH POTENTIAL in it's awesome engine that it makes me cry. Too bad it went to waste with extremely stupid and easy enemies. Same with FFT. SOOO MUCH FREAKN POTENTIAL. But the classes are nowhere near balanced, and the game was far too easy (with a couple exception battles where it was just ridiculousily difficult).

As far as console rpgs, I really think the whole Experience level idea should be removed. In pencil and paper rpgs it's completely understandable because of the complicated skill systems that are in place and the fact that there can be an enormous variety of ways you can create characters. In console rpgs, levels are either a reason why the game is too easy or a reason why it's too hard. Maybe I'm missing something, but I really wish for a game that removed the Experience level gag (I KNOW there are a few games that DO do this, but I didn't like HOW it was done. Maybe I'm being too picky....)
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As far as console rpgs, I really think the whole Experience level idea should be removed[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I would cry and I bet alot of others would too.
    I like having unique systems in some games but I want a lvl system in most games.
    If you preffer games with non lvl systems fine but that doesnt mean their better off removed.

This is like the random battles argument.
    While it pisses some people off others love it.

If you want games without a lvl system just buy adventure games or action/adventure games.

• Options
    edited April 2002
    Secret of Mana. Yes to Action/RPGs!
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Tales of * or Valkyrie Profile. As a general rule, I like having to do more than just mash confirm to hit fight to win battles.
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Call me crazy, but I love the SaGa series. Random learning, random stat/skill gains, etc. It's all so much fun. Yeah, some aspects of every SaGa game are daunting, but overall I find every game incredibly fun, and lots of fun battling is a big selling point for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Sagas random system was cool.

Just to bad the second game IMO stunk so much.
  • LocrianLocrian Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I liked Saga Fronteir 2 alot. I didn't care for the first, but call me crazy, I enjoyed the 2nd alot... it was so strange... i don't know WHY i enjoyed it, but I beat it in 2 nights over the weekend (stayed up 18 hours in a row to do it tounge.gif)
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    My favorite one is Romancing SaGa 3, with SaGa Frontier 2 coming a very close second. SaGa Frontier is fun, but not one of my absolute favorite SaGa games. Though honestly, every SaGa except SaGa 3 (Final Fantasy Legend 3) is good. Mind you, my experience with Romancing SaGa 1 & 2 is just a few minutes since I can't read Japanese at all.
  • LordofshadowsLordofshadows Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I'm really enjoying Final fantasy X's battle system right now. slightly strategic & fast paced.
    my favs though are probably Grandia I & II. gotta love the rush you get from cancelling an enemies attack right before they are about to nail you.
    I also really liked Chrono Triggers system. gotta love double/triple techs. Chrono Cross was very weak in this regard.
    Phantasy Star IV had a similar system with the combined attacks. I really like that.
  • DarkDreadDarkDread Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Without a doubt, SaGa 2. That is certainly one of my favourites of all time. I never really got tired of the battles at all.

What's really odd though, is that, while it was more 'advanced', I only mildly enjoyed RS3... and the SaGa Frontier games I enjoyed even less. Go figure.
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Guest @ April 17 2002,15:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"WA2 did that first.
    And there were a few games before WA2 that used this system I think maybe even one for SNES.
    Nothigns coming to me right now.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, the first game to do it was Dragon Quest IV, for the Famicom/NES. biggrin.gif It's actually a very old concept.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Chrono Trigger for 2 reasons:

1. No random battles
    2. continuous battles that made you plan ahead after each mini-battle

Also the Tech system was quite innovative for its time.
  • CostaustCostaust Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    VANDAL HEARTS!!!! No question my favorite battle system. It's simple, none of the random pop-up battles that plauge so many RPG's. You can move your characters in what ever order you choose (Unlike those 'TACTICS' pieces of cow-dung). And hey IT'S DIFFERENT!!! 99% of RPG's have a tweaked version of the same battle system (Wild Arms, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy 1 through 1 million). I just wish they would make more games with this 'exact same' system, but they don't. Hell Konami even flubbed up the sequel.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Thank you for providing my dose of irony for the day: complaining that other games use the same system over and over, and yet wanting the "different" one to be copied multiple times as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    I really liked the battle system in Valkyrie Profile, it kind of like a 2D fighting game where you contol 4 characters. Lots of strategy in setting the finishing blows, too. Honorable mentions to Grandia 2, and Dragon Force.
  • CostaustCostaust Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I wasn't complaining just stating a fact most RPG's use that Final Fantasy system. I just wish they would make more games that use the Vandal Hearts system, It's what made that game great. And the reason I specifically said that 'exact' system is because there are some "kind of" like it, but in my opinion they suck. (especially the sequel to VH).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" If it's called Final Fantasy why are 15 million of them!!!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

• LulusLittleSisterLulusLittleSister Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Out of all the games that I've played the only battle system that I liked (or disliked for that matter) enough for it to make an impact on me was FFX. I LOVE that system. The switching is great. In another game, if you wanted to use someone else's skill in the middle of battle, forget it, its not happening if they arent in your party... Not in FFX. I really love that system for some reason... I could go on all day <G>.