The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Famitsu Offers New Final Fantasy XII Information

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited December 2003 in Latest Updates
Like Christmas gifts from friends and relatives, the news just keeps rolling in for Final Fantasy XII. So far, there?s not one bad fruitcake in the whole bunch.

Famitsu Offers New Final Fantasy XII Information

Comments

• Lumas the LenientLumas the Lenient Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Whoohoo! I just know this game is gonna' be great!!! Keep the good stuff comin'...
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Two lines of battle and blue gems in slots, huh? I guess I'll have to wait for more information on that.

I'm also liking the differences between the races. It makes for good world and story development.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • Morgan19Morgan19 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It has been reported that the cast of Final Fantasy XII will be quite large.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Excellent! I hope by "cast" they mean PCs (rather than NPCs), and that it might rival FF6's. Though some might consider so many characters overkill, it does make for an interesting game finding all and picking the ones you like the best.

m19
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Morgan19 @ Dec. 17 2003,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It has been reported that the cast of Final Fantasy XII will be quite large.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Excellent! I hope by "cast" they mean PCs (rather than NPCs), and that it might rival FF6's. Though some might consider so many characters overkill, it does make for an interesting game finding all and picking the ones you like the best.

m19[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Chrono Cross comes to mind. The cast of CC was rather big and it was really fun finding them all. I hope FFXII will have some "hidden" or at least optional characters. The casts of recent FFs have been way too small, especially FVIII and FFX (have yet to play X-2)...

• RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 17 2003,15:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Two lines of battle and blue gems in slots, huh? I guess I'll have to wait for more information on that.

I'm also liking the differences between the races. It makes for good world and story development.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Two lines... Sounds like oldschool TRPG stuff ala the old ATB system. The ones in the back row probably take less damage and deal less as well. Unless they carry certain types of weapons (such as spear or guns) and magic. It's an interesting dynamic that can help mage-types stay alive. Bet you remember it from the older ones, too, Slayer. smile.gif

Though, I always stick all of my characters on the front lines, anyway. tounge.gif Considering MP costs, I always had my mages fight a least half the time. Heh.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lumas the Lenient @ Dec. 17 2003,15:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Chrono Cross comes to mind. The cast of CC was rather big and it was really fun finding them all. I hope FFXII will have some "hidden" or at least optional characters. The casts of recent FFs have been way too small, especially FVIII and FFX (have yet to play X-2)...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'll second that emotion. The small cast of characters, and lack of secret characters, has been troubling in rpgs lately.

Characters like Gogo in FFVI, Pesmerga and Clive in the Suikodens, and Glenn in Chrono Cross(just to name a few), were that much better because of the lengths the player had to go through to get them.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • SesshoumaruSesshoumaru Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I think FF6 had the right amount of characters in it 18 (I Think) opposed to Chrono Cross' 50+ Chars. Atleast with Suikoden you had a lot of characters that did more than just fight.

• edited December 2003
    The problem with Chrono Cross' cast though was that they were developed for crap. FFVI's characters were all very well developed for the sheer amount of them there were. Another thing that REALLY peeves me, is having a nice big pool of character to select from, and only have 3 fricken slots... I really wish they would go back to the days of FFIV. 5 characters in battle at a time? Excellent! Limiting to 3 active characters really just sucks. Hopefully this "two lines" bit means I can have more active characters, but who knows. It's still all preliminary and cryptic so we'll see.
  • SesshoumaruSesshoumaru Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I agree with Liquid there should be more than 3 characters
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    cool news nonetheless, i liked all of the news, who knows what are the gems??(interested)

I hope this don't turn in a FF bashing Forum!!!! sad.gif
  • DominoDomino Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Hello, I just became a member, but I have often read these forums. I would like to add that I have always prefered the five characters in battle in ff4. However, I did like the option in ff10 where you could tag in new characters, despite having three active characters. I personally hope that a blend of the two could will be used. This will also allow for more characters to be involved, and thus there is a possibility for a larger cast than in most recent ffs.

• LenLen Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I think the 'tag' part of battles of FFX was great. I think I'd keep that in the next game, but maybe allow 4-5 characters to battle at the same time.

Also, I don't really dig having too much characters to chose from... I like to be able to play with all the PC in one game, for a long time and I want good background stories for all of them. So, for that... I would limit the number of playable characters to about 10-12.

That's just me though...
  • edited December 2003
    About the tag option. I thought that was cool too, and I liked being able to tag in more seldom used characters for just a round or 2. But I HATED that you had to swap someone in to get AP for them. I would have much prefered if they continued to level up (if even at a fraction of the speed as your active characters) when they weren't in battle. The problem is that I spent WAY more time in battles than I needed to because I was constantly swapping people in just to pass their turn to get a chunk of AP. Not fun. Though I think a variation of that system and a larger active crew would be ideal.
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I don't think there is any doubt that FFXII will carry the best story in a FF thus far. I mean anyone who has played through FFT, FFTA, or Vagrant Story should know what I mean. Vagrant Story has one of the best scripts ever included in a video game, and all three of his previous story jobs have been very well done, and it's quite easily to find one's self enraptured in one of them.

Personally, since they announced he would be working on FFXII all that time ago, I have been looking forward to it. If any RPG stands to outdo the characterization displayed in FFX, it's FFXII.

I hope the voiceacting in the US port is good, cause if they get someone liek Cam Clarke to do it....*shudders* I still cannot even play past the first dungeon of Grandia II with the sound on because of him.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaoticprime @ Dec. 18 2003,11:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I hope the voiceacting in the US port is good, cause if they get someone liek Cam Clarke to do it....*shudders* I still cannot even play past the first dungeon of Grandia II with the sound on because of him.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i dunno. I sorta like his voice. He and Lex Lang do voiceovers for most of my favorite cartoon characters.
  • edited December 2003
    I can only hope that S-E takes a hint from Atlus and includes an original Japanese voice track this time. FFX's voices were far from terrible, but Yuna and Tidus' voices ruined any emotional attachment I would have otherwise had to them and their situation.
  • LenLen Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    ... kill... all... emotions.
    Make robots with flags dammit!

I guess the voices in Final Fantasy X were okay... It doesn't really make a big difference to me. If I don't like it, I chance it... in my head.

laugh.gif
    edited December 2003
    The voices in FFX were not the worst part. What was worse was the lip movements from the characters. I thought an additional effort on Square's part would be to synchronize the voices to the characters. Whenever someone talked, I just got irate because it seemed like I was witnessing another horribly dubbed Jackie Chan movie. The voices need to seem like they are actually comming from the character in FFXII.

Also, LiQuid|Juravial had a good point about the battle system in FFX, in the sense that you had to use everybody to get AP for them. I couldnever bring myself to use Yuna or Kimarhi in battle unless I needed to (Usually bosses). In FFXII, I hope there will not be any characters who are useless in random battles. Maybe they could find a way for everyone to be effective against a certain type of monster, thus making them more useful in random battles.

• watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited December 2003
    i saw people mentioning the tag in style of FFX's battle system. I also liked the feature. I liked it even better in the original BoF where you could do so with 4 characters active at one time. Unfortunately, it's harder to pull off for an ATB system. sad.gif I also like at least 4 characters active in battle. Three is just too limiting and 5 is the limit of a non-tactical RPG.
  • DryMaltExtractDryMaltExtract Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I haven't checked any posts from the other reactions to FFXII posts but has anyone noticed Ashe?(the girl) is wearing a ring on her ring finger? So.....who do you think she's married to? Or do you think they put in on by mistake or that it means jack-squat in the FF world?

Gah, upon further inspection it seems she has the same ring on the other finger too so it must be just some fashion BS, oh well, thought I'd post this anyway.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" I really wish they would go back to the days of FFIV. 5 characters in battle at a time? Excellent! Limiting to 3 active characters really just sucks. Hopefully this "two lines" bit means I can have more active characters, but who knows.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I just want to say this is the best thing ever said in these forums.

3 characters has always been too small. When I first played FFVI for the first time I was extremely surprised they limited it to four. But since later on in the game you were able to switch between parties in order to get through stages was very creative.

Then VII came along and set a default for 3 characters except for IX.

I have been noticing a lot of suikoden praise on these forums. Maybe this is one of the issues why people prefer suikoden.
    edited December 2003
    I dunno... Doesn't really matter to me how many characters are in my fighing party as long as I can use the ones I really like.
  • NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I think that part of the problem with voice acting in RPGs is that unless the voice matches the character perfectly, it takes away from the experience.

I don't know about you, but myself when I read a book or play an RPG, each character gets their own voice; for instance, when I read something said by Cloud in FF7, his voice is different than the one I would while reading Vincent's or Aeris' or Sephiroth's voice. On the other hand, if the voice acting is spot on then it makes for a much more cinematic experience; it all depends on weather the creators are going for immersion or cinema.

As for the characters, it again depends on the amount of immersion you want in the game; fewer playable characters means that you'll get really attached to a playable one and the immersive experience is that much more intense. The opposite is with tons of playable characters and a customizable party. It's more diverse and less immersive; not so much because there are more people, but because the amount of time spent on each character is limited. Final Fantasy III is a good example of this. There is way more that could have been done with each character, but there was limited time to spend with each one. Again it depends on what you want the desired effect to be.

Battle system to be engaging for me has got to be 4 characters at least. I mean, look at FF7 and 8. The battle system in 7 revolved around just casting KOTR with W-Summon and miming the heck out of it; in 8 it was all about the Lion Heart limit. With more characters the battles are more involved because you have to take care of what more people are doing. I think the 5 person 2 line deal will be pretty sweet.
    edited December 2003
    [I mean, look at FF7 and 8. The battle system in 7 revolved around just casting KOTR with W-Summon and miming the heck out of it; in 8 it was all about the Lion Heart limit.] This a great point about battles. I don't believe in doomsday attacks such as KOTR and Lion Heart. The final bosses in FF7 and FF8 were good hard bosses without these attacks-sans Cloud's, Cid's, and Barret's limit breaks in FF7-but these attacks made them look like wimps. I think that attacks such as these shouldn't exist in Final Fantasies for the sake of keeping the game at least mildly difficult. Some attacks bordered on the insane (Eden, KOTR). This brings up another topic, should summons be so important in FFXII? In conclusion, I believe that such insanely powerful attacks should not be in FFXII.
  • S E P H I R O T HS E P H I R O T H Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I think they should have some sort of "Doomsday" attack, but make where only the most dedicated people could earn it... Not find it, but earn it.
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I agree with that one S E P H E R I O T H. An apocalypse attack should be in every FF game, but it should be 2 things:

1) almost impossible to find
    2) once found, even harder to get

It should be SO hard and painstaking that only hardest of the hard-core will ever get it. Hell, I'd even make the spell/weapon/summon/whatever be so hard to find and get that it would as long as your main quest to do so.

• S E P H I R O T HS E P H I R O T H Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Thats really the only problem I have with the FF series, they make these "Attacks" or what not so easy to get...

Its like, find this guy, defeat him, and he'll leave this, or he'll join you; or go here, make it to the end of the dungeon, and find the chest with the special "thing" in it. I mean, I'm happy that I get these special attack, but I don't really feel like I've accomplished anything for myself. I want to have that feeling that I know I've done something great.

Ah, and one more thing, if you do get the special "thing", all the level of every boss will go up, so it'll atleast not be a one hit kill from then on. Its far too east to cast KOTR on a boss, and kill 'em with one hit. Same exact thing goes with Lion Heart.

edited December 2003
    I thought Emerald Weapon was a real pain even though I had KOTR (x4 + mimic). Same thing with Omega Weapon in FFVIII, it killed me many times even though I had Lionheart.

I agree though that the trend is that most bosses are extremly easy to kill if you've found the special weapon/summon/thingy. One of the most tragic experiences in my gaming career in this regard was FFX. I remember killing all the final bosses with one strike each - 99999 damage really does the job... Urgh ... sad.gif Thank god for the Dark Aeons - at least they offered a great challenge!

edited December 2003
    S E P H:

That's why I say that finding and attaining that apocalyptic "thing" should be a quest in and of itself. Like I said, if I made the game, the quest to attain the spell/weapon/whatever would be so long and involving that it would constitute an entire other game; I'm talking like a 50-60 hour quest with its own engaging story, characters, and world.

For example, say if it was FF7. Well, there would have been an entire separate disc devoted to getting KOTR; say, maybe a quest that took you to another world (lets say planet X) where the same things had happened on that planet as they were happening on the planet in FF7, and you learned that the people on X had to use a special weapon/spell/summon/whatever to finally destroy Jenova on their planet, and you'd learn all sorts of history and story about Jenova and the universe and creation, and the result is that you would get KOTR on planet X, and maybe the Knights in the summon were the heroes of old that defeated Jenova on that planet and....

Ok, well, you get my point here; the quest to get that apocalyptic attack should be MASSIVE as well as involving and relevant to the story of the main quest, and that there should be no other massive attacks like it in the game.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    The only appropriate response to the suggestion of a 50-60 hour get ultimate weapon quest is:

Lollers.

Dracos