If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Reviews/Points of View - Reader Input

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited September 2002 in Site & Forum Support
Greetings everyone!

It's Paul "Amish" Koehler from the Points of View (Reviews) section of RPGamer, and for the last three months Zachary "ASV" Lewis and I have been working at tweaking a new template which we designed for the review section. ?Most of the problems have been related to fixing broken links and updating reviewer archives, among other things. ?So far, everything has gone alright with the transition, but we'd like to tweak it just a <little> more.

As one of the higher-profile interaction sections, we feel it necessary for reader input on how our section should be setup. ?Should we keep something the way it is? ?Eliminate a section that doesn't need to be there? ?Or are there other things we could do to the section to make it better?

Let us know - and we'll reply to your suggestions. ?We've used a few of our ideas, now let's hear a few of yours.

Any takers?

Comments

• ZiDZiD Member Full Members
    edited September 2002
    After 3 years you'd think I woulda went there... *looks*

Well, I like the heading pick, its wicked. The blue is a nice complement... hmm... yeah, I say it looks good. I havent been there before, so I cant compare.

a template is a basic layout for a site, right? Not to sound ignorant or anything, but, Im not very good with the net stuff. Im good with PC hardware and games is about it lmao. I just wanna know so I might complement on the two template areas later. Its late so im kinda lazxy to look up template myself.

However, my suggestion is the little 'in this update' box is un-needed man. It doesnt clutter anything, but its kinda just there for no reason. Its not a big prob, but its kinda distracting a lil. Also, you might wanna elaborate on this 'locked games' thing, cuz its kinda losing me. What, is that a section where games that cannot be reviewed anymore will go? A place where you post games you WILL NO^T review? what man?

Other than those two lil things, looks great man! I should do this lil contesty thing you have here...

Lastly, can I ask another question of you, if you dont mind? Aproximately HOW long would you like any submitted reviews, and if its almost impossible for someone to get screens of a game, might you guys provide a few? And if we need HTML help, would you assist us? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Well im goin, but, good job! I might be writing some retroviews for your older games sometime soon man biggrin.gif
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited September 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ZiD @ Sep. 18 2002,21wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"After 3 years you'd think I woulda went there... *looks*

Well, I like the heading pick, its wicked. The blue is a nice complement... hmm... yeah, I say it looks good. I havent been there before, so I cant compare.

a template is a basic layout for a site, right? Not to sound ignorant or anything, but, Im not very good with the net stuff. Im good with PC hardware and games is about it lmao. I just wanna know so I might complement on the two template areas later. Its late so im kinda lazxy to look up template myself.

However, my suggestion is the little 'in this update' box is un-needed man. It doesnt clutter anything, but its kinda just there for no reason. Its not a big prob, but its kinda distracting a lil. Also, you might wanna elaborate on this 'locked games' thing, cuz its kinda losing me. What, is that a section where games that cannot be reviewed anymore will go? A place where you post games you WILL NO^T review? what man?

Other than those two lil things, looks great man! I should do this lil contesty thing you have here...

Lastly, can I ask another question of you, if you dont mind? Aproximately HOW long would you like any submitted reviews, and if its almost impossible for someone to get screens of a game, might you guys provide a few? And if we need HTML help, would you assist us? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Well im goin, but, good job! I might be writing some retroviews for your older games sometime soon man <!--emo&biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Sweet. ?Your explanation of a template is absolutely correct - and our current section layout has been used since May 17th this year (Points of View's anniversary). ?Good to see the blue design works as well, if it gains attention - it's doing its job. ?The "in this update" box (containing the amount of reviews, retroviews, etc.) is a leftover from our old template. ?Hadn't thought of eliminating that section - and a lot of our reviews HAVE been in .txt format lately. ?Even special features that we do once in a while throw that figure off, so...who knows. ?Thanks for bringing that up though.

To set the record straight on the "locked games" section - it was created as a response to the extreme flood of Squaresoft reviews we were getting (specifically, Final Fantasy 7-9, Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross). ?RPGamer has tried to promote some games other than the Final Fantasy series, and since we were getting tons of reviews for those titles (and in some cases, nothing else) - the section came into being. ?However, it hasn't really been used for three months now, and we were considering nuking the section. ?The LAST thing we want it to do is scare people. ?Maybe that answers that.

If you want to submit stuff, please do! ?Check out this link, on submission guidlines: http://www.rpgamer.com/pointsofview/info/submissguide.html. ?

And for an idea of what a completed review looks like, check out our take on Kingdom Hearts:http://www.rpgamer.com/games....v1.html.

If you can't take screenshots of a game, that's not a problem at all. ?RPGamer's media staff specializes in digging up screenshots from really obscure games - chances are almost guaranteed that if you're playing a game from RPGamer's database, our mediates have dug up screenshots for it. ?They have their methods.

Our review templates are there for people who are fairly knowledgable with HTML, and all they need to do is cut and paste the text of the review into the paragraph slots, among other things. ?Nevertheless, our most prolific reviewer - Red Raven - has never sent in anything in HTML - .txt files are an acceptable format, just send us in links for screenshots and other information. ?We'll let you know if anything is missing.

Thanks for the critiques. ?The section's an ongoing project, but it's good to see we have some input from outside the staff as well. ?And the chance to host Q+A is always an interesting oppurtunity in itself.
  • ASVASV Member Full Members
    edited September 2002
    Heyo, all. Zachary 'ASV' Lewis here.

Just to bring up some of the objectives/plans that are already in place, I'd like to mention that there may - at some point toward the end of the year - be an opening in the review department. We always have a crapload of stuff to do around Christmas time and we're all stretched pretty thin as it is.

Before you go running around and emailing us asking to be hired, first understand that the review department doesn't hire people in the same manner as news and media do. Whereas they have open application submissions, we hand pick and ask only certain individuals who we know are capable of the workload. In other words, if you haven't reviewed yet, or don't review much, you're not gonna get asked. Period. What this DOES mean is that if you have ever felt the urge to strut your stuff and review like a madman, now's your chance to get seen.

Another note of some importance is the possibility of having a PsoV contest of some sort (with a prize besides a guest spot - since, let's face it, that's not to darned exciting...). What this will involve, and what the prize might be are as yet to be determined, but keep it in mind that I'm working toward this possibility... Just remember to kinda email whack me occasionally to finish up some sort of proposal for our PR guy so we can get that show on the road.

Aside from those two points, I don't really have much to add that Paul didn't cover. So... Just post any suggestions you might have, and keep in mind that we're here to make your visit to RPGamer more informative, more fun, and - above all else - more simple.
  • ZiDZiD Member Full Members
    edited September 2002
    Great job guys! Its rare to find admins as dedicated as you guys, rarely do we questioners get an answer (I know thats incorrect terminology, but hey, its 8 am tounge.gif). Well, I think I may write a few Retroviews then, you got a ton of games on that 'need' list that ive beaten, so, I think ill help ya out tounge.gif Luckly you guys dont seem to stress 'deadlines' for older games, so that makes potential reviewers (like mwa) happy. The old site I was at stressed having to do a set quota of games per week and I never did one for them for the pure fact of that matter.

Anyways, its good to know you guys dont burden reviewers very much with HTML if they cant do that kinda stuff. That makes we script language deprived writers happy, we dont wanna take the time digging up all that HTML stuff off the net just to write a simple review!

I say, cheers guys! You ghuys are the best admins ive seen in a game site for the few years ive been floating around.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2002
    The whole idea of adding the templates was to ease the burden of those wishing to HTMLize their reviews, as in the end it does save us time.

However, before being hired I don't remember Paul himself submitted much, if anything, in HTML format. As staff he had to learn to do it. It's not exceedingly difficult with the amount of practise he gets... tounge.gif

The only 'time' cap we've ever put on reviews, staff or reader, is a differentiation of "review" and "retroview". A retroview is any game a year older or more.

We've marked the difference because after a year, a game has a different perspective to it. Guaranteed newer, "shinier" games with new and often unused ideas will have come out and we don't want the new to overshadow the old. Retroviews look at a game at the time of release without the game having to fork up to current standards. That way, a game released 5 years ago doesn't need to stand up to a game released 5 days ago - which seems fair to me.

Seeing reviews for games that have never been done before is a delight. It's a bit more research for me, but I like looking up old games and seeing what they're like. There's only so many Final Fantasy reviews a body can take wink.gif